Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is incredibly mediocre.

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i think i only agree with the OP regarding the skill usage.... it really feels different from other mmorpgs and not exactly positively different.... i get bored of using skills in RIFT as a warrior and rogue calling (mostly rogues because they dont seem like they are actually impacting the target, it looks like they are swinging the dagger close to the target without an actual impact, looks really fake) and the rogues skills feels too repetitive (so much variety and only 2 offensive skills are enough to kill anything) 

the first mmorpg where i really, really, really dislike rogues.... and the other classes arent for me, im a rogue roller so...

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

I havent fallen in love with rift yet, but I certainly am. First off, if graphics made an MMO why is wow, eq, uo, and runescape still popular. Most people like the graphics presented in rift. They're an improvement then most MMO's out there. Controls aren't as clunky as say, LOTRO. The class system is very great and allows you to fit anything to your play style. You choose to combine three souls (aka classes) and flow out a talent tree. Rifts are the new instances, almost the same as warhammers open quest style, rifts randomly appear on your map, once you walk into one, you can join the public group to complete that instance. It's not a bad concept, but it doesn't have cross server function yet. Which means once the game releases, low pop servers will be screwed. I actually enjoy this game and I'll buy it once it comes out. 

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Sora2810

Rifts are the new instances, almost the same as warhammers open quest style, rifts randomly appear on your map, once you walk into one, you can join the public group to complete that instance. I

Rifts are fun so far, but it seems that the same kind of rifts appear at the same spot at a given time (thats not dynamic but a programmed repeatable event)... i may be wrong but if it is true then rifts will eventually become repetitive, boring, and annoying...

• zapyouritzapyourit Member UncommonPosts: 12

Originally posted by rojo6934

Rifts are the new instances, almost the same as warhammers open quest style, rifts randomly appear on your map, once you walk into one, you can join the public group to complete that instance. I

Rifts are fun so far, but it seems that the same kind of rifts appear at the same spot at a given time (thats not dynamic but a programmed repeatable event)... i may be wrong but if it is true then rifts will eventually become repetitive, boring, and annoying...

The appearance of rifts is based on the current zone population, not a timed repeat event. Having played during both on- and off-peak hours during Beta 4 with what seemed like the opposite of expected population for those time periods, I can tell you that the zone population really does impact the rift spawn rate.

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

Originally posted by zapyourit

The appearance of rifts is based on the current zone population, not a timed repeat event. Having played during both on- and off-peak hours during Beta 4 with what seemed like the opposite of expected population for those time periods, I can tell you that the zone population really does impact the rift spawn rate.

There are only 2 rifts that spawn exactly the same, kind, and place on a regular basis and thats the rifts at the starting hub right outside each tutorial zone. They are starter rifts and do not count the same as the rest - they are tutorial rifts. The only way to believe all rifts function this way is to never have gotten past level 10 and away from the first quest hub.

Granted, after doing them for a long time, you do start to recognize some of the spawn points do get used more than once, but the type (and there are many types to each type - if you play you know what I mean by that) which can spawn in those same locations. Not to mention, the timing is not consistant at any spawn intervals.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

True dynamic content does not exist in any game. Everything is programmed, ie scripted to work in a certain manner. The AI required to create random events ... well, we're not there yet. Eventually, no matter how complex the script is, the human mind will understand the pattern and thus shatter the illusion of dynamic.

What the developers have achieved so far though is well scripted events that give the illusion of a dynamic environment. That's the thing you're getting with Rift and that's the best you should expect from GW2. If you expect more, you're bound to be disappointed.

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

Originally posted by Impulse47

Originally posted by kitarad

I did not really expect much from Rift so I am happy to just play it and if indeed it fails to keep me long I won't come to the board and write long threads to bore everyone and force them to waste their time reading. We sure have become a crowd of people who place a great deal of importance on our opinions being aired ad nauseum.Rift seems to be attracting a large quota of the same type of threads daily. Sure is tiresome.

I'm sorry.  I was operating under the delusion that discussion boards were about discussing things.

It doesn't really seem like discourse was your intent. You came, you vented and left it as a statement of fact. Did you want us to change your mind about the game or where you seeking validation on your opinion?

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by boxfetish

Um, both those franchises had a backstory and lore in place before work on the MMO began.  It gave them a solid foundation to build on and they weren't required to create them from scratch while undertaking the other work in developing an MMO.  This was a huge advantage for both of them and guaranteed a certain level of interest on release.

Fact is, not many people/companies are very good at creating a history or story for a game world and this puts Rift at a big disadvantage.  In fact, judging by the comments of many testers, they have fallen flat  in terms of immersion and backstory/lore.  

High Fantasy has been done to death and it takes a huge egos to believe otherwise and gamble the future of a game development company on out "WoWing" WoW.  Let's see where Trion and Rift are at on March 1st, 2012.

While I agree that only time can tell whether Rift's makes gambled successfully or not, there are some arguments to make for a new IP. Sure, you have to create the lore and world history right from scratch, but the advantage is that you're not bound or limited to that lore as so many franchises, you're free to fill it in and explore however you want as a designer because as a company you're the ones creating it.

Another pro is that people go into the game blankly, without false expectations like they might have when it'd have been a Star Trek or Lord of the Rings, or Star Wars. Fans of a franchise can go rabid when you as an MMO company didn't capture the atmosphere of the franchise in your MMO as the fans had envisioned it to be.

I disagree that high fantasy is a bad gamble, after all, fantasy and especially high fantasy has certainly been more successful the last 10-20 years than other genre themes in literature as well as in MMORPG's. Scifi or horror has proven to have less mainstream appeal than fantasy (less chicks dig scifi than that do fantasy).

Regarding the sense of immersion and backstory/lore ingame, well, that's a personal matter anyway, that differs from one person to the next.  Some might feel immersed into the world and lore, and some might not. But that applies to other, franchised MMO's as well (SWG, LotrO, STO, SWTOR etc)

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• KleirKleir Member UncommonPosts: 155

Hopefully I'm not the first person on this thread to absolutely agree with the post...  I've played the demo and it just seems like they try to make their game look "fun" by adding a bunch of visuals, which people start to look over.  Besides the graphics and imagination, nothing else rly captured my interest about the game.  Actually, the graphics were too glossy and after a while it wasn't too easy to look at.  I'm not saying this game wouldn't be fun, I just wouldn't pay $15 a month for it.

"Many have eyes, but few have seen." - Goddess Lyssa

• SnailtrailSnailtrail Member Posts: 258

Wait untill the class balance issues have no where to hide, no "its balanced at the endgame we wont see untill well after launch" or "its only beta they will make every class usefull"  Once the cold hard reality that the soul system only benefits a few classes and class roles, at the expense of other classes and their roles.

People are fine with a mediocre game if its polished, however having SERIOUS class balance issues is anything but polished, and will only be fully felt at endgame, when certain classes and souls are shunned in favor of other classes who di ti better.

• SirDerpSirDerp Member UncommonPosts: 72

I didn't look through this whole thread, but after reading the OP's post I would definitely like to know what games he thinks are NOT "mediocre." Also, just by the way, Rift is the FIRST MMO to come out with dynamic events (such as Rifts and Invasions), therefore making it "next-gen" in the sense that it is doing something that no other games currently have, not just because it has pretty graphics (which also do not lag in normal situations, which do not include the stress tests and mass invasion that Trion has been running in the betas, as long as you have a decent computer and understand what graphics settings it can handle). 

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by burakyt

give up playing mmos mate

This.......

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436

Originally posted by Impulse47

I am currently enjoying DC Universe Online, Guild Wars, League of Legends (not an MMO, for sure, but MOBAs are somewhat close).  All three of which are fun.

I'm almost speechless. You went in on Rift like a pitbull on  chihuahua. But...

You're playing DC Universe Online, a game that I quit in beta because the combat animations looked so bad. Combined with (heh) mediocre range of abilities and variation in strength levels of those abilities, just ehhh.

You are also mention having fun playing Guild Wars.  When it first came out I loved it, then it got boring. The PvE puts me to sleep. The PvP is now very predictable. Gameplay mechanics in PvE are also dated and clunky compared to current MMOs.

But you are merciless on Rift? lol?

• TimzillaTimzilla Member UncommonPosts: 437

Yeah for real. I don't think the OP cares for MMO games. Repeat after me, "MMOS have been done 16 ways to Sunday; there's nothing left to invent." Find one that's pretty and enjoy.

• Justarius1Justarius1 Member Posts: 381

While I would stop short of calling people "delusional" if they enjoy Rift, I will state that I was heavily disappointed by the game.  Basically, it seemed like a very small world that for 20 levels is exactly the same style of gameplay no matter what class you choose - For 20 levels there is the same boring PvE content no matter what race you play (I guess going Guardian or Defiant gets you a different experience but still... that's a total of 2 starting zones.)  

And PvP?  Even worse, you get one sad little "warzone" to play in from levels 10-20, don't even ask about PvP before level 10 because it doesn't exist.  From 10-20 you get a small little "capture the flag" scenario that gets really old, really fast.

I guess I'm not quite understanding the hype behind this title, either.  I have more fun loading up Fallout or Oblivion or a number of other single player games if I want PvE, and even WoW's PvP is better than Rift's.  (Seriously, play Gorge or Basin at a low level in WoW and tell me you really enjoyed the Rift's "10-20 Warzone" better... !)

• forcelimaforcelima Member UncommonPosts: 232

So you are saying you can play basin or gorge at lvl 10-20 in wow?

Last i played all you could do was a capture the flag type called warsong gulch.

• Justarius1Justarius1 Member Posts: 381

Originally posted by forcelima

Last i played all you could do wast a capture the flag type called warsong gulch.

There are 2 battlegrounds you can play in WoW from levels 10-20, both of which can be Q'd for, both of which are, in my opinion, a lot more fun than the tiny warzone Rift offered.

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Last i played all you could do wast a capture the flag type called warsong gulch.

Actually if I'm not mistaken yes, Arathi Basin and Warsong Gulch start with a 10-14 bracket now. They made it more baby cakes, less QQ now since a 10 lvl BG was casuing too many to complain about the higher levels being OP so it runs like this.

10-14; 15-19; 20-24; 25-29; 30-34; 35-39; 40-44; 45-49; 50-54; 55-59; 60-64; 65-69; 70-74; 75-79; 80-84; 85

And lets be clear on this though, this is not how it used to be. WoW did not start out with multiple battelgrounds accessable from level 10. Thats right, it didnt start out with any if my memory serves me well. They got added in later patches.

Also, the majority of the PvP content in Rift is in the contested zones, where its intended to be. The Warfronts are side matches to go along with the open world PvP. And, the first 2 are not what the last ones are like. There is even one that works similar to the old school AV BG with PvE content/objectives included.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by pierth

Originally posted by just1opinion

{Mod edit}

Not meaning to derail the thread, but it does seem to have become it's own type of game. People play both sides like PvP factions. It's nuts.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

Originally posted by pierth

{Mod Edit}

Not meaning to derail the thread, but it does seem to have become it's own type of game. People play both sides like PvP factions. It's nuts.

Well, Rift is around the corner, and their beta is quite popular. Yes, it's going to be the talk of the town for few weeks still. Unfortunately, this particular thread doesn't present anything insightful but eh, I guess some needs their entertainment?

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436

Originally posted by Justarius1

While I would stop short of calling people "delusional" if they enjoy Rift, I will state that I was heavily disappointed by the game.  Basically, it seemed like a very small world that for 20 levels is exactly the same style of gameplay no matter what class you choose - For 20 levels there is the same boring PvE content no matter what race you play (I guess going Guardian or Defiant gets you a different experience but still... that's a total of 2 starting zones.)  

And PvP?  Even worse, you get one sad little "warzone" to play in from levels 10-20, don't even ask about PvP before level 10 because it doesn't exist.  From 10-20 you get a small little "capture the flag" scenario that gets really old, really fast.

I guess I'm not quite understanding the hype behind this title, either.  I have more fun loading up Fallout or Oblivion or a number of other single player games if I want PvE, and even WoW's PvP is better than Rift's.  (Seriously, play Gorge or Basin at a low level in WoW and tell me you really enjoyed the Rift's "10-20 Warzone" better... !)

Here's the thing. I've played all of WoWs starting zones. And Warhammers, and Aions, and AoCs, and EQs. I've played Fallout numers times, same with Oblivion. Played Arathi Basin, Warsong Gulch, Warhammers Scenarios, etc. Many times over.

Rift is familiar and at the same time a little fresh. Will I get as tired of it as I am of other MMOs? Yes. But right now it's fun. New world to explore, good graphics, new lore. The Rift idea is interesting, NPC mobs invading roads and towns.

The classes felt very different to me. A mage with a pet, a stealth rogue, and a tanking warrior all felt distinct. And then there are subclasses that change playstyle even more.

Truthfully I almost hated this game from the little hype it was getting. I got a beta key, made a mage, all the while still hating it lol. It felt too much like WoW and Warhammer. Did a couple quests, a little bored. Then I got my second "soul" subclass, started putting points in, began building a very powerful custom spec. A necromancer/warlock spec that playedmuch much more different than any other mage class. It is a fun game, it's just not anything drastically new. The MMO car has a few small improvements and a nice new coat of paint. Enjoy :D

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Last i played all you could do was a capture the flag type called warsong gulch.

Right before their recent expansion came out they redid all of the battleground levels. So now both Warsong Gulch and Arathi Basin are available at level 10. But you are correct in that before that only WSG was available for 10-19 and AB started at level 20.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

Originally posted by Deathstrike2

I really don't see myself as a fanboy of this game, but I did preorder based on my in game experiences.  I like the game.  I don't see an issue with character control.  Graphics look great.  Stories are good and world seems designed well enough. 

Maybe I like it because I also like games like WoW.  While Rift is definitely not WoW, it has a lot in common with it and other games like it.  I can't tell you how many times I've thought to myself, "I really wish they would re-release WoW with better graphics."  Well, for me, Rift seems close enough.  The gameplay is familiar and the world is fresh and new.  The other things like rift invasions and the soul system are just icing on the cake for me.

*shrug*  I guess I'm easily amused.  Regardless, I understand what kind of game Rift aspires to be, and I'm fine with it.  I didn't go into it expecting a sandbox or something completely new and different.  I expected it to be just about what it is.

Anywho, that's my 2 cents.

The red part describes exactly who Rift is going to appeal to and it is exactly who the game was designed for.

Personally, I've played WoW and am not looking to play it again, nor a game that's mostly the same.

I can't blame you much because I felt the same way back years ago playing FFXI.  FFXIV would've been successful had they just basically redone the game with better graphics and a new world.

I also don't think you're in the minority.  I'm sure there are tons of people playing WoW that like the game but are bored with it and want something similar.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Rift ain't bad. It got some pretty interesting talent trees and is nicely polished. But a large part of it is, obviously directly copied in a far too obvious and blatant way. The graphics are ok but not awesome, the sound is not as good as I had hoped, it has only two starting zones (FE, WoW or WAR for example have about half a dozen each) and the combat is boring. What I disliked too was that many early game abilities are nearly identical (or in some cases completly identical). I choose one talent tree, then a few levels later the next, and the first thing I can do is throw out redudant abilities.

So, the game is not bad, but simply not interesting enough for me to warrant buying it.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• YasouYasou Member Posts: 86

I believe Rift is benefitting from the fact that it's a very well polished game being released after an incredible amount of horrendous game releases since 2005 (WAR; AoC, Vanguard, Aion, FFXIV to name a few) which dissapointed most of us and almost let us to believe that releasing a game as we customers deserve had become close to impossible.

It is also targetting an audience that loves WoW/EQ2 and is looking for something refreshing, but not necessarily different. That's a pretty large playerbase.

Of course I would love a Sandbox type of game, with the ability of altering the world/environment, without levels, without zoning etc. and which provides an instant fun factor. This game hasn't seen the light of day yet (we'll see what GW2 has to bring to the table in that department).

So for the time being after a hard day at work I am perfectly fine mashing a few buttons to kill X or Y mobs without having to use my brain to much. Sad but true. We have grown up since 2004 and we don't have the time anymore to get up at night to water the plants (FFXI).