Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

READ : The Rift / World of Warcraft/Warhammer/Etc Comparison Thread

Comments

• xxHanoverxxxxHanoverxx Member Posts: 28

A lot of people seem to come to Rift because they are bored with WOW.   As someone who is new to WOW, I can't really comprehend how you could adjust to such a tiny world after having a huge playground for such a long time...I'm kind of glad to have started playing WOW right now as I DO have that entire world to look forward to.   I just know that I will have see all of the areas in Rift far before I've seen all of Azeroth.  

Right now, I play Rift as my second MMORPG.  I find it fun in a "pick up and play" kind of way.  I can go in, do a few quests, join in on a few PQs and walk out casually not feeling I have to put a lot of commitment into it.  I see it as a sort of "Team Fortress 2" of MMOs.  

• BoradinBoradin Member Posts: 27

If  Rift is a Wow clone, then  Wow is a UO/EQ/Shadowbane/Doac/... clone.

People that limit there comparion of Rift  only to Wow, are undereducated regarding the history of MMORPGs. 

Wow was nothing new.

• Stimos8Stimos8 Member UncommonPosts: 163

It doesn't matter if games copy each other. So far Rift is an exceptional game, that has been fairly polished at launch and taken the best from a lot of other mmorpg's, rounded them up and put them into a single game with unique features as well. I can see rift appealing to wow players, because it has similar gameplay, but i can also see it being interested by the more hardcore mmorpg players as well. In my single opinion, i believe rift has the solid potential to take WOW's throne as the "mmorpg king", not only by player base, but simply because of the game itself

• Johnchief117Johnchief117 Member Posts: 19

I beta tested Rift a few months ago and I didn't like it at all. Send me hate mail all you guys want, but I played Rift and it felt like I was playing WoW but with different characters (So much for the "We aren't in Azeroth anymore" joke they used in the ads).

I had been playing World of Warcraft ever since it first came out, I had played many MMORPGs besides WoW, and I wasn't impressed at all by Rift. They pretty much got an old rock and tried to convince you that it's worth $50 and for some reason people believe it -.-

• King_KumquatKing_Kumquat Member Posts: 492

Originally posted by Johnchief117

I beta tested Rift a few months ago and I didn't like it at all. Send me hate mail all you guys want, but I played Rift and it felt like I was playing WoW but with different characters (So much for the "We aren't in Azeroth anymore" joke they used in the ads).

I had been playing World of Warcraft ever since it first came out, I had played many MMORPGs besides WoW, and I wasn't impressed at all by Rift. They pretty much got an old rock and tried to convince you that it's worth $50 and for some reason people believe it -.-

"We aren't in Azeroth anymore"- (you can tell cuz we used White-Out to change some things)

Will develop an original MMORPG title for money.
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by King_Kumquat

Originally posted by Johnchief117

"We aren't in Azeroth anymore"- (you can tell cuz we used White-Out to change some things)

LMAO.

There is a reason they call you the King ;)

*bows

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

hey amana, fanboy trolls shouldn't be mods.  My topic wasn't about comparing wow to rift outside of one or two sentences.  Thanks for locking it and abusing your privileges.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Originally posted by narghile

I've played WoW since Vanilla and I've been involved in the las two betas for Rift.

Rift reminds me a lot of the vanilla days of WoW.

World PVP, World bosses, maybe even the new game smell of it.

I've been following Rift threads on a few other Forums and I'ld like post some of the useful and interesting things I've come across.

This was a thread labled "100 Reasons Rift is better than WoW"

The count actually went past 120 last I checked.

Not all of the Posts are serious, but I think the majority are valid reasons, at least to the one posting.

1: AOE looting

2: No Ghostcrawler

3: Like WoW but with shinier graphics

4: Customizable UI out of the box

5: Less people playing

6: Rifts

7: It’s not WoW

8: It’ll be free in 6 months like Aion is now

9: No Knaak

10: Character customization

11: Rogue tanking

12: No gnomes

13: It has a shorter name and sounds dirty

14: No Druid shapeshift nerfs

15: Not having to run around the capital city doing nothing.

16: The talent system is mind-blowing

17: Reclaiming mats from old gear.

18: No arena

19: Offensive healers

20: Good tree graphics

21: Amazing, smooth and diverse animations

22: Water actually looks like water

23: Squirrels on fire

24: The map! It zooms!

25: The login screen

26: No ice lance

27: The male Mathosian dance

28: One-click import for UI.

29: Better lore

30: No taxi system

31: Not limited to 1 talent tree

32: General chat is tolerable

33: Bards

34: Nobody manipulating the economy...at least for now.

35: INVAAASIOOOOONS

36: Alliance look cool

37: Items you can buy to open rifts

38: Necromancers

39: Hearthstone doesn’t take an inventory slot

40: Support classes

41: Healer mage

42: Awesome racials

43: 'Tis new and fresh

44: quad spec, allowing ANY combination of souls you've acquired, not just the 3 active.

45: being able to acquire more than 3 souls in the first place

46: talent tree decision making (you need 31 points in a tree to get to the top, but you need 51 points (ie, one spec entirely) to acquire every spell that tree has to offer)

47: PvP only souls, which implies that balance between pve and pvp may wind up not impacting each other later on.

48. The beginner backpack has 20 slots

49. When one member enters an instance, other members get teleported in.

50. no elitists

51.Awesome death "Rifts", with even more awesome dangerous creaturs spawning from them

52: Even the first 2 dungeons have tactics that will wipe you when people fail and are more difficult that cata heroics where at the start.

53: Being able to do decent dps as a healer when I have the tank fully hotted.

54: Join public raid option for rifts.

55: Never needing more than 4 characters to enjoy every class aspect of the game.

56. The forums aren't full of people who can't read instructions even when in the title

57. only 6 Races, plenty of room to expand

58. Trolls drop Goat Gruff (read your fairy tales)

59. The ability to stack items in units higher than 20.

60. Devs listen to community

61. Doesnt take 2 months to fix obvious problems

62. No flying everywhere

63. World PvP

64. PvP Players have a loot table

65. Cleric tanking

66. Devs speak to us across our screens and are actually funny and engaging.

67. no gearscore, very few a-holes in the beta, feels more like an old school mmo

68. Dynamic cycle of dominant builds in pvp like in GW.

69. CHLOROMANCERS!

70. A rogue, two mages, a cleric and a warrior walk into a Dungeon. The rogue tanks, the cleric melees, one mage heals, the other debuffs/controls (find me a WHOLE CLASS in wow that has more than the odd CC and interrupt - I'm talking a whole 2 mage souls dedicated to shutting down the opposition) and the Warrior nomnomnoms you with Dot's and Pets.

71. no undead

72. no Slyvanas and her emo fanboys.

73. Loads of wow fanboys will stay away (haters gonna hate)

74. Dances with Squirrels title!

75. More D&D high fantasy than steampunk comedy

76. No "a more powerful spell is in existence" which GC lied about going in cata.

77. Poisons stay on daggers until YOU swap them, no refresh every 60 mins

78. it's absolutely beautiful, even on the low-end graphics

79. Critter Tears Artifacts.

80. Faction Vendors in the big cities

81. More fantasy-like than the high-tech technology WoW

82. Armor and weapons look more real than the WoW gear

83. Buyable blues for low levels

84. Get mounts in three different levels, lvl20, 40 and 50. 60%, 100% and 110%

85. Clerics "blink" with random direction and range.

86.The Rift elements will fight among them selfs (fire will attack water...ect) and can take over towns.

87. It's something different after almost 6 Years

88. Players will have to learn the fight as there will be no "deadly boss mods" addons (skill>addons)

89. Soul system can be added to in future expansions

90. Artifact collections > Archaeology and give ANY class epic gear!

91. Cool old stuff mixed up with cool high tech stuff (teleporting machines, high tech technology).

92. Nightblades stealth does not last forever, it lasts 60 seconds and after you leave it its on a 10s CD.

93. You don't need to reroll fotm, only respec in most cases.

94. "Hunters" Can shoot in melee range

95. Sounds muffled underwater adds to realism.

96. Recap: The new Guild banner idea in rift is unreal, and I'm shocked wow devs have not thought about it to bring back world pvp and improve guilds.

97. No "gaps" in professions (name one crafted staff in WoW for example, archaeology doesn't count obviously)

98. The Shattering (pre-Cata event) ... ALL DAY LONG

99. No Garrosh or Varian (hopefully!)

100. NO FROST MAGES or ring of frost

101. Taunts actually doing something (AWESOME) in PVP! As someone who has always played Tank in PVE, being able to do it in PVP makes me SO excited.

102. No Tol-Barad which is completely unbalanced (attacker at huge disadvantage)

103. Able to put what stats you want on gear from the start of your profession.

104. I'll be playing a new game. So we're all newbs!

105. Pve changes that only affect pve servers and pvp changes that affect only pvp servers. BEAT THAT BLIZZARD!

106. Armor dyes - OMG we may not all look identical for a change!

107. Exploration is awarded with artifacts and other hidden goodies

108. You won't get Uber Gear for less than Uber Effort (dev quote)

109. Level requirements have been removed from the previously-level 20 mounts. If you can get to them, and can afford them, you can use them. This includes the Collector's Edition turtle mount.

110 (?). It's only just beginning so can only really improve if devs continue to listen to players. (I hope)

111. something- Level 1 gold spammers? Easy to ignore since no1 really talks in capital city chat

112. Related to 111. - lvl 1-9 chat can be turned off, basically the chat is broken down so that you can view only the character level you wish to view. Basically you can turn off low level Gold spammers and "Barrens" chat.

113. Looting while mounted.

114. Every zone has a Ward boss you can summon if you can control all the wardstones.

115. No retarded trolls that think their inept comments are rofltastico status.

116. The game is totally engaging right out of the gates, there is always something to do, its fun, lively and all around just a blast to be playing!

117. All Endgame raids will be 20 man, no "easymode 10m" versions.

118. Specific 10m content

119. Loot is dynamically awarded based on your contribution to the group

120. Same Gear stats are used for both Caster clerics and Melee clerics o_O !! Spell stats are converted to Melee stats via the soul tree.  Spell crit = melee crit , spellpower = attack power, etc....

I about spit my coffe everywhere

23: Squirrels on fire

ROFL

• tepthtanistepthtanis Member Posts: 545

Originally posted by Schwaahly

I belive its more of a social aspect... ie WOW has been around, I know this cuz I played WOW from the start to litch king and it wasnt the game.. it was the guild I was in and the peeps I met that keep me playin . sure it got old .. not cuz graphics.. lame content  ALL THE BULLSHIT IT TOOK TO GET A RAID GOIN (or havin to respect all the time deff in the early days, and maby still cuz blizz couldnt and imo still cant have class balance again just imo)// it was for the people I met online and if rift can do that well hell its worth a shot. from what ive seen of rift it reminds me of WOW hell early EQ for that, but its still a mmo and its the social game that will make it thrive or fail not graphics or content its if ur buddies or gona get on and play..

I gotta agree with Schwaahly. I played Wow from near the beginning. Wow is a great mmorpg...don't get me wrong. But I was with 2 great guilds back then...Anger Management and Wow addicts. It was an absolute hoot at the time. But after that, it declined. Now it is ruled by much younger players and the ingame help has declined as well...

Played Wow, D and L, AOC, GW, Eve, Rift and many more insignificant games.

• FreezyTouchFreezyTouch Member Posts: 2

Rift=Aion. Its new.

Pls everyone remember Aion. Everyone was like: Omg this game is so awesome...you can fight in the air and the fightanimations are so awesome...its definitely going to destroy WoW and take its place as the best MMORPG in the world.

And now? What happened? Right. Aion is free to play cause its boring and cant keep up with the old-school, bad comic graphics and imballanced WoW.

The 120 reasons are ****. Srsly...this guy just doesnt want to play a fantasy-mmorpg with classic roles but a superhero-mmorpg where he can be everything at once. A healer that can tank and do decent dps at the same time. And obviously he hates frostmages. And big communities. And taxisystems in big worlds?

I really like the system of souls they created in rift. But it doesnt really have that much NEW stuff...sure there are some nice new roles like the bard....a supporter with dps-abillity...but there are also very many roles that allready exist (ofc...how could there not?). So there are some more or less interesting new classes (a warrior that only fights with range magic??? that is interesting.).

I didnt play the beta but i watched like every vid on youtube about rift that exists... I like the good graphics, the new fighting animations, the soulsystem even though many of the roles are just RANDOM and/or boring, i love the pet-stuff on many speccs and i definitely love the awesome variaty of individual looks you can create for your char. 

I really hope they people have fun with this game but i really dont think that it will be that much of a threat to WoW which is just so much bigger and detailed (yet)...

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Originally posted by FreezyTouch

And now? What happened? Right. Aion is free to play cause its boring and cant keep up with the old-school, bad comic graphics and imballanced WoW.

Since when did Aion go F2P?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Here's my comparison:
    WoW: It's not fun any longer. I've just played it too long.
    War: Wasn't really that much fun to begin with. Even at launch there weren't very many people it seemed like.
    Aion: Knew it was going to be a grind. It seemed long on graphics and short on game. Not interested.
    Rift: Doesn't look all that great on paper, but they don't seem to be promising too much. Beta was fun and the game is a blast. Many of the people I played WoW with are having a blast too.

I don't really need to get any more in depth than that.

* edit *
    Add to the list:
    In crafting, instead of 120+ items to craft and 12 items you use, there are 30 items to craft and 12 items you use.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Rift=Aion. Its new.

Pls everyone remember Aion. Everyone was like: Omg this game is so awesome...you can fight in the air and the fightanimations are so awesome...its definitely going to destroy WoW and take its place as the best MMORPG in the world.

The 120 reasons are ****. Srsly...this guy just doesnt want to play a fantasy-mmorpg with classic roles but a superhero-mmorpg where he can be everything at once. A healer that can tank and do decent dps at the same time. And obviously he hates frostmages. And big communities. And taxisystems in big worlds?

I really like the system of souls they created in rift. But it doesnt really have that much NEW stuff...sure there are some nice new roles like the bard....a supporter with dps-abillity...but there are also very many roles that allready exist (ofc...how could there not?). So there are some more or less interesting new classes (a warrior that only fights with range magic??? that is interesting.).

I didnt play the beta but i watched like every vid on youtube about rift that exists... I like the good graphics, the new fighting animations, the soulsystem even though many of the roles are just RANDOM and/or boring, i love the pet-stuff on many speccs and i definitely love the awesome variaty of individual looks you can create for your char. 

Again, I gotta quote Schwaahly and say that it is the community that makes a game nowadays. I'm hoping I found such in rift. If I haven't... then I will move on.  I hope I meet Schwaahly someday. Good ppl r hard to find.

I really hope they people have fun with this game but i really dont think that it will be that much of a threat to WoW which is just so much bigger and detailed (yet)...

That last part was not me!

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Rift=Aion. Its new.

I think you are confused. Aion is not free to play and probably never will be.

Originally posted by tepthtanis

That last part was not me!

That was Freezytouch... please put things in order mmorpg.  Quit confusing ppl.

• FreezyTouchFreezyTouch Member Posts: 2

Right! I am sorry. Its not free to play....that was my fault. But it definitely failed to get WoW off its throne and thats what i think Rift will do, too. Even if it got way better graphics and animations. I think what really makes WoW so good in many peoples eyes is the size of the world they play in and the high max-lvl you can achieve. Ofc there are other things like the variaty of roles, speccs and jobs and stuff like that...but thats something rift allready is equally good in. 

• noegusisnoegusis Member UncommonPosts: 29

WoW cataclysm is a  complete joke right now. Can someone tell me what exactly changed in that expansion? Sprinkle a bit of fire here,edit the top portion of trees there, and give 4 possible leveling areas to those who aren't tanks who get instant ques to dungeons to level.I made threads of possible future hints of expansions nobody gives a shit about meanwhile blizzard bans me off the forums because half my predictions to a predictable company was true. Right now they're pulling out their keyboard keys in rage because rift stole (not really) the next installment to their shitty line up of xpacs "the rift system" .Which phases you in diffrent areas of the new azeroth "the future"and embark on the longest chain questline in mmo history.Each area in the old world will have  this feature. I read that one time they would allow communication between both fractions in this so called "time system" as a means to story line...in the end horde and alliance are best buddys while leveling. 

On the outside of this everything present is back to normal as the fail xpac continues to progress. Blizzard knows its ture so thats why they banned me off the forums.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by Alrestor

WoW cataclysm is a  complete joke right now. Can someone tell me what exactly changed in that expansion? Sprinkle a bit of fire here,edit the top portion of trees there, and give 4 possible leveling areas to those who aren't tanks who get instant ques to dungeons to level.I made threads of possible future hints of expansions nobody gives a shit about meanwhile blizzard bans me off the forums because half my predictions to a predictable company was true. Right now they're pulling out their keyboard keys in rage because rift stole (not really) the next installment to their shitty line up of xpacs "the rift system" .Which phases you in diffrent areas of the new azeroth "the future"and embark on the longest chain questline in mmo history.Each area in the old world will have  this feature. I read that one time they would allow communication between both fractions in this so called "time system" as a means to story line...in the end horde and alliance are best buddys while leveling. 

On the outside of this everything present is back to normal as the fail xpac continues to progress. Blizzard knows its ture so thats why they banned me off the forums.

lol sounds like someone is bitter at Blizzard for being banned. It's an expansion, it's not supposed to be a new game.

Actually "everything you knew about warcraft...will be changed...forever!" advertisement doesn't ring a bell. It sounds to me like they were trying to recreate their whole game for new players,not add a cherry on top. Which is why they tried with realID for casuals,the whole world needs to appeal to players who don't have much time during the day to play.

• AceOfSpade90AceOfSpade90 Member Posts: 88

Right now they're pulling out their keyboard keys in rage because rift stole (not really) the next installment to their shitty line up of xpacs "the rift system" .Which phases you in diffrent areas of the new azeroth "the future"and embark on the longest chain questline in mmo history.Each area in the old world will have  this feature. I read that one time they would allow communication between both fractions in this so called "time system" as a means to story line...in the end horde and alliance are best buddys while leveling. 

WHAT?! How did you obtain that information?

Why would they make a 'rift' teleport thing to the future (probably using some of the bronze dragonblight time travel system) in order to work with... the future... where alliance and horde are NOT at war and are... allied?! Well, the little detail that I still liked in WoW after all these years that kept my... LITTLE respect (the WAR in that world againts two major factions with several races and ideals) is going to be destroyed...

What will happend to WoW PvP then... without factions or hatred? Don't like that ideia at all.

Sorry to post this 'zomg' on a rift topic but THAT I needed to gasp and comment because it was... touching news.

I see a universe where unicorns fly... and my mother-in-law is in a grave at last.
    |BEST UNIVERSE EVA AWARD|

Originally posted by AceOfSpade90

Right now they're pulling out their keyboard keys in rage because rift stole (not really) the next installment to their shitty line up of xpacs "the rift system" .Which phases you in diffrent areas of the new azeroth "the future"and embark on the longest chain questline in mmo history.Each area in the old world will have  this feature. I read that one time they would allow communication between both fractions in this so called "time system" as a means to story line...in the end horde and alliance are best buddys while leveling. 

Why would they make a 'rift' teleport thing to the future (probably using some of the bronze dragonblight time travel system) in order to work with... the future... where alliance and horde are NOT at war and are... allied?! Well, the little detail that I still liked in WoW after all these years that kept my... LITTLE respect (the WAR in that world againts two major factions with several races and ideals) is going to be destroyed...

What will happend to WoW PvP then... without factions or hatred? Don't like that ideia at all.

Sorry to post this 'zomg' on a rift topic but THAT I needed to gasp and comment because it was... touching news.

As I mentioned its "while leveling" as the whole chain quest is phasing. You work together with fraction leaders of horde/alliance old/new people for whatever the reason (lore)...you have no choice. It doesn't affect pvp its a choice to enter "the time zone" if you're high enough level. Anyways they are already hinting it throughout the game and its only a matter of time until fanboys can't deny WoW copied rift. (First come first serve)

edit: the whole expansion is just one really long quest.

Originally posted by helthros

lol sounds like someone is bitter at Blizzard for being banned. It's an expansion, it's not supposed to be a new ga

I got banned as well. Sure...it's only an expansion...with new features and areas of course??? No u say? It's the same game with areas underwater and everything on fire!?!?? Tell me what is new and exciting lately about Wow helthros...besides the new lvl cap of 85.

Originally posted by AceOfSpade90

Yeah...I don't see that happening. For starters, Blizzard would have to rewrite the whole game thread. Secondly, it would disrupt all pvp gameplay everywhere! Wow would have to shutdown for a good long time in order to make the changes. And #3...where would pvp go from there???

As I mentioned its "while leveling" as the whole chain quest is phasing. You work together with fraction leaders of horde/alliance old/new people for whatever the reason (lore)...you have no choice. It doesn't affect pvp its a choice to enter "the time zone" if you're high enough level. Anyways they are already hinting it throughout the game and its only a matter of time until fanboys can't deny WoW copied rift. (First come first serve)

edit: the whole expansion is just one really long quest.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by Boradin

If  Rift is a Wow clone, then  Wow is a UO/EQ/Shadowbane/Doac/... clone.

People that limit there comparion of Rift  only to Wow, are undereducated regarding the history of MMORPGs. 

Wow was nothing new.

RIFT directly copied and pasted WoW's achievement system. I don't mind games using other ideas and editing them a little bit or presenting it in their own way but with the achievement system it seems as if Trion couldn't be arsed but wanted it in there. It just looks bad in my opinion.

Its a good average game. But they clearly went to copy the big names in MMO's and played the safe route of just making sure its not buggy. Its a game that will sell at times like this. When no other MMO's are coming out and many people maybe looking to try something new but i can't see it lasting very long, in terms of subscribers.