Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me or is Rift the best thing to happen to MMO's

Comments

• ConjureOneConjureOne Member UncommonPosts: 233

its just you, rift is a well done warhammer + wow + :insert your random themepark mmorpg here: clone with added features

• WertheWerthe Member Posts: 236

It's just you.

• DjinnAjitDjinnAjit Member Posts: 16

The game is fine.  It has kept my interest so far.  Is it brand new, completely reinventing the wheel?  No.

But if you want that, let me show you FFXIV.  After all the betas and a couple months playing that, I'm okay with a game that feels comfortable and just adds a few new features.

• IzorkIzork Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by ConjureOne

its just you, rift is a well done warhammer + wow + :insert your random themepark mmorpg here: clone with added features

And thats bad?

Its new world etc - exciting. Much polished

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Originally posted by karat76

Honestly for me it  is not that it is done better than WoW it is i just got sick of the WoW community and so far this one is better and I should be able to get a few months out of this until the casualties of puberty  infest it to the point of being unavoidable.

What is it about the WoW community that makes it "so" bad that it's unbearable to even play the game?

The community never was a great thing in WoW but in the time since gearscore showed up and they added lfg it has in my opinion degenerated to subhuman levels. Being of very similar style I am sure Rift will get there but I should still be able to get a few months out of it.

• krazymagickrazymagic Member UncommonPosts: 36

I played Rift for the first time yesterday. I have followed it very loosely up until now. I went into it with no real expectations at all, I was given a beta key and just decided to try it out.

I enjoyed it, and I see a lot of potential here. I need to play it some more, but I may very well buy it. Its great to play a game in beta that really feels polished and like a finished product. I think it may be one of the better MMO launches we have ever seen, if the servers hold up well.

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

Originally posted by Teala

I do not see anyone that posted here saying the game is horrible or bad and that others should not play it.   Many of us said it is a decent game.  It's just not for us.  We've been there before and done it.    Rift really doesn't bring any real new game play to the table from wht I can tell.  You do quest.  You level up.   Then all you do is PvP in instances(their latest build killed world PvP).   Or you do end game raids for - gear?  After that?

My new issues with the game.

Didn't like the new difficult monsters.  Just made combat more of a grind to me.   If I were them I would take combat back to beta 5.  At least it was somewhat fun.   Allow us to turn the stupid bouncing arrow thingy off, that hovers above our targets.  That is so stupid.  

Other than that...it's a good game, for those that like this type of MMORPG.   I hope it does well.   ^_^

The bouncing arrow is Trion's all-too-typical kneejerk solution to the fact that in rifts, especially the Fire ones, the ground textures often make it impossible to see what you have targeted. To me, this seems like a design issue that should have been solved a long time ago and much more satisfactorily.

Same with the new racials. Only one, the Kelari combat boost, was a bit over the top and PvPers started complaining about it. Trion responded by exchanging all of the racials for a bunch of slapped-on abilities that make absolutely no sense. The Kelari can now turn into a sneaky fox for 30 seconds. Of course, the type of goofballs who liked the WoW Druid Moonkin form are slobbering all over this one too. It's stupid and makes Trion look like a bunch of silly amateurs.

Mob toughness, as well as the class combat revisions are also prime examples of things that should have been addressed way before a month prior to release. Trion seems to be flailing around wildly in these last weeks, changing core elements of game play without much thought. I don't know who they're getting their cues from, but it's really starting to make them look incompetent.

Yes, in many aspects, the game is polished, but Trion developers are taking a sledgehammer to all that polished product and making a stupid, ugly mess out of it. Oh, the "fans" will coo and thank Trion profusely but many of us have seen this before. When the time comes to start paying for this, they're nowhere to be found. In a few weeks, they'll resurface gurgling about some other new game and panhandling for beta keys. Trion has a month to sort this out and turn a deaf ear to these folks.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• MattDaddy10MattDaddy10 Member UncommonPosts: 30

It's not just you. As I was playing the BETA I kept saying to myself "this is it" "this is the game that will take down WOW" "this IS IT!!!!!" RIFT IS THE BEST THING!

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

Originally posted by MattDaddy10

It's not just you. As I was playing the BETA I kept saying to myself "this is it" "this is the game that will take down WOW" "this IS IT!!!!!" RIFT IS THE BEST THING!

Well Rift is a nice good looking game but it is not gonna take down WoW.

WoW is not a game it is a religion for those who subscribe to it .It is more like the  Church of Scientology than a game,you dont just leave,it is a lifestile.

Originally posted by Izork

Originally posted by ConjureOne

And thats bad?

Its new world etc - exciting. Much polished

not saying it is bad, just stating a fact, each person decides if its bad for him or not

Originally posted by MattDaddy10

lol. No.

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Well I read the entire thread here, and every one of the negative posts are from the same people who have been posting negative on just about every game coming out or has come out in the past 6 months. And to be honest, I'm not going to be one second sad to see that none of you are playing in Rift when it goes live. Really, losing you is not going to effect a single thing in the game. I really do think for most of you, the MMO you play is right here on these forums. These threads are your game of choice, stop looking, because you found it.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Originally posted by Kaocan

Well I read the entire thread here, and every one of the negative posts are from the same people who have been posting negative on just about every game coming out or has come out in the past 6 months. And to be honest, I'm not going to be one second sad to see that none of you are playing in Rift when it goes live. Really, losing you is not going to effect a single thing in the game. I really do think for most of you, the MMO you play is right here on these forums. These threads are your game of choice, stop looking, because you found it.

In a thread last year I said that the mmorpg forums should have been nominated for game of the year 2010

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Is it just me or are you a employee trying to boost interest? From everything i've heard it's a well made clone nothing more. I didn't even install my VIP beta key.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Glad your enjoying the game, but I just coudn't even bring myself to even get past the level 2.  Yes I played the game knowing there wasn't going to be anything new but I had to give it a look-see for myself since I liked the Idea of the class system.    IMO its not the greatest thing to happen to MMO's..  To me the greatest thing to happen to MMO's would be a AAA Developer making a Sandbox game. 

To be honest  Im just burnt out on the whole "Themepark" mmo, I missed out on SWG and UO and didn't like the setting of EvE.  Don't let the haters get you down play what you enjoy. I know people are in the same boat as I looking for best game for me, if only it were so easy. 

• supbrosupbro Member Posts: 327

Got to love these threads made by people with < 10 posts saying how great RIFT is! and is the second coming!. Dont get fooled by these paid Shills. Played the beta and was bored out of my mind.

GW2 the future of MMO gaming

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Originally posted by supbro

Got to love these threads made by people with < 10 posts saying how great RIFT is! and is the second coming!. Dont get fooled by these paid Shills. Played the beta and was bored out of my mind.

Personally I love the posts by people who say they dont like the game but had to give it a look to be sure - then tell you they didnt get past level 2 (you get level 2 after killing 5 lvl 1 mobs in the tutorial btw). Heck of an objective look, but appearantly valid enough for these forums, much more credible than the guy who likes the game but hasn't posted enough on MMORPG.com huh.

Oh yeah, and almost forgot - that same person who didnt play past level 2 is calling it a themepark - eventhough he never finished two quests in the game, and yet he knows this.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• OszyOszy Member UncommonPosts: 87

i played beta4, beta5, and about 10mins in beta6 b4 i quit it. So it must be you.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by Kaocan

Originally posted by supbro

Personally I love the posts by people who say they dont like the game but had to give it a look to be sure - then tell you they didnt get past level 2 (you get level 2 after killing 5 lvl 1 mobs in the tutorial btw). Heck of an objective look, but appearantly valid enough for these forums, much more credible than the guy who likes the game but hasn't posted enough on MMORPG.com huh.

Oh yeah, and almost forgot - that same person who didnt play past level 2 is calling it a themepark - eventhough he never finished two quests in the game, and yet he knows this.

I've been in the last 3 betas. It is a theme park and it doesn't have anything new to offer to anyone that has been playing MMOs in the last few years. The game is well polished and is probably going to have one of the smoothest launches any one has seen in a while. To me this type of gameplay just isn't fun anymore. I'm sure it will do well though and people will enjoy it.

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

Originally posted by Vidir

It is just you.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770

I have 6 characters lvl20+ and two @ lvl30 and i would agree with you, the game is simply the best MMORPG on the market.

Wait till you get to End-Game it is truely Massive and Epic..

Best Regards and happy hunting...

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• bluesugarbluesugar Member UncommonPosts: 16

Originally posted by sudo

It is just you.

• xephonicsxephonics Member UncommonPosts: 672

Me and my wife love it so far :)

Seems like a game we can relax and play in, and have fun while doing it.  I don't give 2 shits if it revolutionizes the genre or not.  Our main game of choice has been anarchy online, and been playing that on and off since 2003.  So maybe since AO is so different than rift, it makes rift seem more "new" to me.  Thought I have played many themeparks, and this definitely has a lot of the same features they did, but this one does them better TO ME.

All I can say is I've had fun and enjoy the game, and it will get my money :)

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.

• jamigrejamigre Member UncommonPosts: 280

It is just you.

I second the notion. 

-------
    Check out my side project http://lfger.com/  - a mobile lfg tool for any game, any time. 
    -------

• yabooeryabooer Member Posts: 97

Originally posted by bastionix

Originally posted by crescens87

can none of you "its just you" people understand that some of us MMO veterans simply want something different doesnt matter if its one game or another with different graphics. its new and that is refreshing.

What exactly is new about Rift outside of the Rifts that spawn 6 mobs in each phase, something any MMO could have come up with?

The UI from WoW, the global cooldown from WoW, the Kill X wolves, Collect 6 hides questing from WoW, the instanced dungeons from WoW, the specs from WoW, the tradeskills from WoW,....really......tell me what is so "new and refreshing"? I'll tell you, nothing.

Lo and behold, another WoW fanboy who seems to think WoW did it all, why not credit Blizzard for "Jumping" as well, maybe give them the satisfaction of creating the FIRST MMO as well, fuck actually it was the first game to date...

Now that I am done bashing a complete idiot, I enjoyed it myself as well. I enjoyed the EQ class system, the 4 main roles and the many classes inbetween the roles, very nostalgic for me atleast. Problems are problems, that will get fixed with time, it is nice to see some new mechanics and old meshed into one. Of course I will not be sucked into this one, or any other themepark for that matter.

I'll be playing classic DAoC, EQ, and MO until the day comes when the sandboxes rule once more.