Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO features, who did it first?

12345679»

Comments

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

Isn't AO's mission system prosedual dungeon? Each mission is generate on player chosen parametres.

Also, I think there is scaling with AI raids, more people you bring higher the mobs and lowbies get own instance...

There still isn't auction house in AO, just and screwed shop system.

List for AO:

Dynamic events: Arena PvP/battlegrounds RvR/large scale faction warfare Trinity based group combat: Appearance tabs: Flying mounts Player Housing/guild housing Player owned mounts: Crafting Tailored dungeons: Procedurally generated content: Player controlled vendors & player shops Instancing: Tamable pets:

Basicly I would scale list to first few and then the very specialy made ones. As all of these are pretty standard features.

• wallet113wallet113 Member Posts: 231

Originally posted by Ekaros

Isn't AO's mission system prosedual dungeon? Each mission is generate on player chosen parametres.

Also, I think there is scaling with AI raids, more people you bring higher the mobs and lowbies get own instance...

There still isn't auction house in AO, just and screwed shop system.

List for AO:

Dynamic events: Arena PvP/battlegrounds RvR/large scale faction warfare Trinity based group combat: Appearance tabs: Flying mounts Player Housing/guild housing Player owned mounts: Crafting Tailored dungeons: Procedurally generated content: Player controlled vendors & player shops Instancing: Tamable pets:

Basicly I would scale list to first few and then the very specialy made ones. As all of these are pretty standard features.

Come to think about it AO did have the first flying "mount"

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Non-tabbed and FPS like combat: as it says, no tabbing to select a target but you have to aim just like in shooters

first:  ww2online aka battleground europe

done best: ww2online

seen in: AC, Planetside, Endless Ages, Neocron, Fallen Earth (sort of), Tabula Rasa (sort of), AoC (melee combat), Darkfall, TERA, DCUO

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• dirtyhippy1dirtyhippy1 Member Posts: 45

I dont see how you can put anything on this ...list...from any game that has not been released.  thats like saying...chevy said we get flying cars next year.  its entirely possible.  but things change.  

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

Originally posted by dirtyhippy1

I dont see how you can put anything on this ...list...from any game that has not been released.  thats like saying...chevy said we get flying cars next year.  its entirely possible.  but things change.  

Open beta where the feature is working is accetable, but not anything which isn't even released to masses...

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Graphics were done first by Neverwinter Nights back in '91 hehe... don't know if that counts.  Age of Conan or Lotro did graphics best :)

First Instance Housing - The Realm Online.

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Trinity based group combat: the well known 'tank & spank' formula, tank-healer-dps

first: EQ

seen in: as good as all MMORPG's, practically an MMO standard although a number of upcoming MMO's seem to deviate from it

Tamable pets: pets that were initially mobs wandering around that could be tamed

first: Lineage

seen in: Lineage, GW

For first MMO with trinity based combat it should be Meridian 59, it was the first 3D MMO back in 1996. Meridian 59 and EQ are based on the DIKU MUD system that spawned the holy trinity, and since Meridian 59 was out 3 years before EQ it should get that title. DIKU MUDs were the first, then Meridian 59 and EQ were first generation, then just about every MMO to come out after that follows that same family tree.

As for tamable pets, not sure if this counts but Star Wars Galaxy had the Beast Master system where you could get pets. Also UO should be added to the “seen in” part of this category.

• KazlinKazlin Member UncommonPosts: 124

Originally posted by AKASlaphappy

Trinity based group combat: the well known 'tank & spank' formula, tank-healer-dps

seen in: as good as all MMORPG's, practically an MMO standard although a number of upcoming MMO's seem to deviate from it

Tamable pets: pets that were initially mobs wandering around that could be tamed

For first MMO with trinity based combat it should be Meridian 59, it was the first 3D MMO back in 1996. Meridian 59 and EQ are based on the DIKU MUD system that spawned the holy trinity, and since Meridian 59 was out 3 years before EQ it should get that title. DIKU MUDs were the first, then Meridian 59 and EQ were first generation, then just about every MMO to come out after that follows that same family tree.

As for tamable pets, not sure if this counts but Star Wars Galaxy had the Beast Master system where you could get pets. Also UO should be added to the “seen in” part of this category.

Eq didnt have a holy trinity system they needed Tank/Healer/CC /slower then dps  as far as tamable pets EQ had limited time tamable pets with  some classes.

As far as EQ being based on a Mud your wrong you need to go watch some interviews and the 10th anerversey of EQ on the jace hall show. EQ was based on D&D well the foundation of it Smedley wanted a 3d world  where people whole go and work togetrher and overcome challenges it was his idea and he simplay implemeted it .

All this talk about EQ being based off a Mud is rediculious i wish ppl would stop saying this.

UO was the firs with tameable Mobs.

in Meridian59 I did alot of soloing, because it was just so new to me at the time and as well as EQ

if the gamers of today are in thier early/late teens they haven't expiernce the emerging industry from for MUDs to the 3D MMO

If I was a gamer of today I would have thought WoW was the first for everything lol.

• CazCoreCazCore Member Posts: 40

Originally posted by Torgrim

Non-tabbed and FPS like combat: as it says, no tabbing to select a target but you have to aim just like in shooters

first:  ww2online aka battleground europe

done best: ww2online

seen in: AC, Planetside, Endless Ages, Neocron, Fallen Earth (sort of), Tabula Rasa (sort of), AoC (melee combat), Darkfall, TERA, DCUO

i'd really like to see this non-tab targetting in an AC video.  can anybody post some?  or at least mention specifics on how limited it was?  i've played it briefly on 2 occasions and didn't see this at all.

until then i'm gonna assume people are just copying the original guy that (probably) mistakenly said that.

http://PlayRealNotes.com

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Originally posted by Kazlin

Eq didnt have a holy trinity system they needed Tank/Healer/CC /slower then dps  as far as tamable pets EQ had limited time tamable pets with  some classes.

As far as EQ being based on a Mud your wrong you need to go watch some interviews and the 10th anerversey of EQ on the jace hall show. EQ was based on D&D well the foundation of it Smedley wanted a 3d world  where people whole go and work togetrher and overcome challenges it was his idea and he simplay implemeted it .

All this talk about EQ being based off a Mud is rediculious i wish ppl would stop saying this.

The main part of the trinity is the need for tank and healers so I would say EQ had the trinity. And as for EQ not being based on the DIKU MUDs; I know it was not a direct creation based off of the DIKU code. If you would have read the DIKU MUD link I provided it even talked about it here. That is why I said it was based off of it, in other words it has a lot of similarities in the way it is played to the old DIKU MUDs. In fact some of the developers of EQ were old DIKU MUD players, so you can kind of guess where they got some of the inspiration for EQ. If you look at the combat of the DIKU MUD design and then look at Meridian 59 and EQ the system is very similar to each other. From the article on DIKU:  

At its core, it is a class-based RPG with the principal classes being fighter, healer, wizard, thief. (Later codebases added more). It was heavily based on the combat portion of Dungeons and Dragons. Advancement handled by earning experience points through combat, reaching a set amount of points, returning to town and “levelling up,” which unlocked new abilities. Classes were immutable (though eventually systems such as remorting, etc were added). Rewards for killing things also included equipment, which affected your stats and damage capability. If you reached the maximum level, common cultural practice was that you were invited to become a game admin (this practice dates back to much earlier, and existed in some form in MUD1).

Combat was generally on a fixed rate, with “faster attacks” in cruder systems consisting of actually running the same attack multiple times in a row (so you could only do damage on multiples: 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, 6x, 7x, 8x, 9x). More advanced systems added true variable interval attacks. Tactics were centered around controlling which target the mob was attacking, and using special state-affecting attacks that did things like trigger periods of indefensibility (stun), periods of damage multipliers, etc, using stances.

Well that sounds a lot like the system used in most MMOs today….I wonder how anyone can get the idea that EQ and its legacy are based off of DIKU MUDS. Also from the DIKU article:

Everquest was created by players of DikuMUDs (specifically Forgotten Realms ones — Sojourn, Toril, Duris), and even had the same wording for many server-generated messages (“it begins to rain,” which was completely superfluous for a 3d game!) Of the early MMORPGs, UO played the least like a Diku, whereas the line of inheritance from Diku to EQ and thence to WoW is completely undeniable. In the end, the central elements of phase-based combat, combat states, cool-down based special attacks, tank-healer-nuker triad, and basic aggro management are what you play today in WoW. A Diku player from the late mudding period would feel completely at home if you just gave them slash commands and a text box. They’d be astonished by the number of quests, would think the crafting system was insane, and would think that the entire PvP system was either a rip from an EmlenMUD or was teleporting you to HoloMUD, in the case of the battlefields. Even raids would feel a lot like a “group of groups” tackling a level 50, albeit at a scale smaller; I recall participating in a “raidish” encounter on Worlds of Carnage against a dragon in a tower which nearly “wiped,” consisting of a half dozen maxed out characters and an assortment of lower ones. My character, who was the lowest there by far, happened to get in the final blow and was the sole survivor, and gained five levels in one fell swoop. While it is true that many of these core elements stretch back to AD&D, the fact is that as a pen and paper game, AD&D played quite differently when in the hands of an expert group. Similarly, even though there were plenty of of hack n slash tropes in place in AberMuds and various LPMud mudlibs (a mudlib is more or less a ruleset… that’s a whole other article!), or in standalone games such as the Wizardry and Might & Magic series, there was a very specific “feel” to how Dikus played

It has been proposed by Raph Koster (lead designer of Ultima Online and chief creative officer ofEverQuest II) that Diku has resulted in the greatest proliferation of gameworlds due to being the easiest to set up and use.[12][13] He further pointed out that "Diku codebases did eventually popularize many of the major developments in muds",[14] and that the Diku gameplay provided inspiration for numerous MMORPGs, including EverQuest, World of Warcraft and Ultima Online.[15]

From Mcquaids own mouth:

Bottom line, the MUD Steve & I played the most, Sojourn/Toril MUD is a Diku dirivative and the best MUD I've ever played. And while I was playing, I was not just having fun, but learning. Learning the mechanics, what made these games tick, why the implementors made decisions, good or bad, how people reacted, etc.

That, and in homage, we created some items and such with similar or the same names that were in Sojourn -- I've talked to the people who run/ran that MUD and they appeared to have zero problem with it and either had no opinion or were flattered).

In any case, for your viewing pleasure:

EQ's style is in many ways in homage to DIKU MUDs but has ZERO DIKU code.

Brad McQuaid

President & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.

Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

You are so right there is no correlation between EQ and the old DIKU MUDS, the whole system was designed from the ground up without any thought of what came before it. I am sure those designers that played the old DIKU MUDs just had that system complete purged from their brain and they just did everything without looking at what came before it. Oh wait… :)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Player controlled vendors & player shops

first: SWG

seen in: SWG, Aion, FFXIV

This would be UO. Source:  Dec 1997 Patch Notes

The 1997 patch notes linked above also refer to changes to the taming system that existed in UO as well.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MNZebaMNZeba Member Posts: 254

Really Great post. I always wondered what MMO had the first Auction House. I'm amazed how AO was such ahead of it's time.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

GW2 its not even released yet lol.

Best FPS Darkfall 2009 released

Best open freeroaming world Darkfall

Best free for all pvp with full loot, Asherons call 1999 released

Best  first Sandbox and free for all PVP Asherons call-Darktide.

Best party/group/fellowship quest game Asherons call 2 2002 released

Best Orignal class game Asherons call 2-Tactician as best overall class of last decade.

Best Original races of all time Asherons call 2- Tumerok and Lugian.

Best Wolflike race Darkfall- Mahirim.

Matter of taste offcorse but my choice of whats best hehe.

• yewsefyewsef Member CommonPosts: 335

City of Heroes did Public Quests (putting out fire, fending off alien invasion drop...etc) forgot which issue it was included with.

Arena PvP was available on EverQuest it's called (The Arena) it wasn't popular but it existed.

Trinity: EverQuest did not invent the Trinity. The Trinity is a bastard child created by WoW by reducing player roles to Tank, Healer and DPS. EQ had Slowers, Pullers, Tanks, Healers, CC and DPS. You cannot do challenging content without a slower, IMPOSSIBLE for some zones. A CC is always always welcome and would make you job easier. Besides healer/damage was never EQ's invention to begin with I don't know why you credit EQ with it? if you mean EQ the first to create class roles such as meat shield, casters and healers.. then D&D did it long long time ago.

Player Created Content: City of Heroes is not the first but definitely the best of this department with their Architect feature.

Player Shops: EverQuest had the bazaar where you can set your character or alt with a list of items and give each item a set of price and leave that character online as long as you wanted them to be. It auto sells the items for the price you asked for.

More Features:

Aggro/Threat: The first I experienced this was with EverQuest but I'm not sure if EverQuest was the first to create that. I consider Aggro the most innovative and genius invention in gaming, without it we'd lose 90% of how combat works in all MMORPGs post EQ.

Quest Driven Content: WoW was the first to introduce a game where you can go from level 1 to max level doing Quests. Yes, EQ2 did questing first but as far as I remember EQ2 quests weren't initially enough to warrant such system unlike WoW when it guaranteed that you will never run out of Quests.

EDIT: Just to explain what I mean by "questing" for EQ2 and WoW.. back in 2003 Blizzard and SOE were competing each other by creating many quests. I remember when Blizzard announced having 1000+ quests ready then SOE claiming 1500+.. it was a space race between two powers. Which resulted in the notorious HAND HOLDING experience we call Quest Driven. I'm not talking about "questing" but rather the idea of being forced down a series of quests taking you from one quest hub to another which is the standard of current MMORPGs.

Offensive and Defensive Targeting: Vanguard created an excellent targeting system which you can have your Defensive Target (to heal, buff, help) and your Offensive target (to attack, debuff..etc) all at the same time.

Raiding: EverQuest invented large scale "raiding" encounters. Extremely strong NPCs which require 100+ players to take down (Naggy and Vox).

The Exclamation Mark: WoW invented the "Here's a Quest" sign with a yellow Quest Mark which became a trade mark and a very known signal which is now widely used even by non-MMORPG games.

Faction System: EverQuest invented a system where your actions determine how you are seen by hundreds of "faction". Whether by helping someone or killing something or even saying "hello" to someone (very rare occasion), for one action you will get Good and Bad standings from doing any single action in the world. Killing an Orc in Crushbone will increase your faction with several entities like the Wood Elf Guards but will also decrease your faction with the Dark Elf Indigo brotherhood (warrior guild).

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Player controlled Venders are also in Istaria - released Dec. 2003.

Venge

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Aggro Dikumud the origin of the trinity system.

Phasing Vanilla wow: Stealth. Also there was a house on raven's hill which used phasing when you approached it and the sky changed appearance.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Originally posted by Groovydutch

GW2 its not even released yet lol.

Best FPS Darkfall 2009 released

Best open freeroaming world Darkfall

Best free for all pvp with full loot, Asherons call 1999 released

Best  first Sandbox and free for all PVP Asherons call-Darktide.

Best party/group/fellowship quest game Asherons call 2 2002 released

Best Orignal class game Asherons call 2-Tactician as best overall class of last decade.

Best Original races of all time Asherons call 2- Tumerok and Lugian.

Best Wolflike race Darkfall- Mahirim.

Matter of taste offcorse but my choice of whats best hehe.

the topic is not about best (lord knows we have enough of those) but rather who did what first

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

I was curious, so I thought I make a thread about it: all the different eyecatching features that are around in the current MMORPG's and that we give credit to one MMORPG, while it was maybe around a whole lot earlier in maybe a relatively unknown MMORPG.

first: AC (? if AC doesn't have it, then Endless Ages was first I think)

WWIIoL Predates Endless Ages but not AC

done best: Planetside

RvR/large scale faction warfare

first: UO with faction warfare, DAoC with RvR (and 3 sided warfare)

WWIIoL Predates DAoC by about 3 months

done best: DAoC

seen in: UO, Lineage, DAoC, Planetside, L2, WoW, WAR, Aion, GW2, TSW

Flying mounts

first: AO

seen in: AO, EQ2, Vanguard, WoW

If Aircraft count as a 'flying mount' then WWIIoL  WWIIol was released June 6th 2001 and AO on June 27th.  I would also suggest that they were done best in this game since yoju can dogfight with them.

Single server world: the whole player community plays on 1 server world, not split over several separate server worlds

first: EVE Online

seen in: GW, EVE Online

WWIIoL.  By a long way.

Politics mechanics: MMO feature that allows things like voting and lawmaking by players

first: Lineage?

done best: Vanguard?

seen in: Lineage, SWG, L2, Vanguard, TERA

add PotBS

Do you have other eyecatching MMO features that are missing here or any corrections or additions to the list above, post it here.

World War II online (Battleground Europe) is listed as having released June 2001.

It may have been as buggy as hell - but it broke a lot of new ground too.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by yewsef

Arena PvP was available on EverQuest it's called (The Arena) it wasn't popular but it existed.

Trinity: EverQuest did not invent the Trinity. The Trinity is a bastard child created by WoW by reducing player roles to Tank, Healer and DPS. EQ had Slowers, Pullers, Tanks, Healers, CC and DPS. You cannot do challenging content without a slower, IMPOSSIBLE for some zones. A CC is always always welcome and would make you job easier. Besides healer/damage was never EQ's invention to begin with I don't know why you credit EQ with it? if you mean EQ the first to create class roles such as meat shield, casters and healers.. then D&D did it long long time ago.

More Features:

Aggro/Threat: The first I experienced this was with EverQuest but I'm not sure if EverQuest was the first to create that. I consider Aggro the most innovative and genius invention in gaming, without it we'd lose 90% of how combat works in all MMORPGs post EQ.

Quest Driven Content: WoW was the first to introduce a game where you can go from level 1 to max level doing Quests. Yes, EQ2 did questing first but as far as I remember EQ2 quests weren't initially enough to warrant such system unlike WoW when it guaranteed that you will never run out of Quests.

Wow! MNZeba, how did you find this thread?! That must have been quite some forum digging image

With arena pvp I meant, the instanced form where you have sort of equal sized teams fighting eachother.

As for the trinity, I learnt that type of fighting together in EQ, it wasn't present in UO as far as I recall, so that's why I state EQ as being the first that had the trinity group mechanic, and I think most MMO gamers will agree: the meatshield, the dedicated healer, and aggro mechanics, those were the core of any group around which the rest was built.

Of course, you also had a puller, and crowd controller which were roles as equally important as those others in EQ, but the trinity setup was the core. What WoW did was put more emphasis on that trinity core that was already present in EQ and less emphasis on those other roles.

Quest driven content, I would categorise that as 'quest based leveling', which indeed was introduced by WoW/EQ2 where you could level fully to level cap by doing quests instead of mob grinding. I also see it as one of the main defining and recognisable traits of themepark designed MMO's. I'll add it to the OP list if it isn't in there yet.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."