Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO features, who did it first?

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Tabula Rasa had some multi-branching quests, but very minimal.

Vanilla WoW had quest where you could choose to ally with one of two centaur clans in Desolace, the other started to hate you as your reputation dropped and started attacking you on sight. EDIT: On second thought, there wasn't any mechanism for multi-branching quests, you just had to choose one out of two quests /EDIT

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

What about fighting underwater  ? Everquest had that. Some games you cannot even swim underwater. Faction questing was in Scars of Velious Everquest. After you get far enough one side will not even talk to you and you can get to "scowl ready to attack" when you go further.

Chamber of Chains
  • wallet113wallet113 Member Posts: 231

Ultima Online RULES! (back then lol)

GM > Sage > Counselors

If i remember correctly Sages held events and gave out unique items as reward.

I was a counselor on Baja Shard =)

and a PKer on Napa Valley >=)

UO had title achievements too.  Lord / Lady (good)  and Dread Lord / Lady (evil)

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

AFK Macro Users/Botting - UO

It was fun being able to kill them before the Tram/Fel split.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• wallet113wallet113 Member Posts: 231

Originally posted by VirusDancer

AFK Macro Users/Botting - UO

It was fun being able to kill them before the Tram/Fel split.

Used Ezmacro for skills and AFKing all night to reduce murder counts =)

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

what about seige items such as boats, cannons etc, things that require mulitple people to reasitcally use.

yeah I am a darkfall junkie but I am also not assuming it hasnt been done before.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

I was curious, so I thought I make a thread about it: all the different eyecatching features that are around in the current MMORPG's and that we give credit to one MMORPG, while it was maybe around a whole lot earlier in maybe a relatively unknown MMORPG.

Now, some I know or guess, and of others I hope that you people can help:

Dynamic events: as in quests or events that can change based upon collective player actions

first:  Everquest, in the Scars of Velious expansion where players helped determine which faction (dwarves or giants) had the upper hand in a region.

seen in: GW2, and to a lesser degree Rift

Do you have other eyecatching MMO features that are missing here or any corrections or additions to the list above, post it here.

Though EQ did launch a few months before Asheron's Call, I'm thinking the SoV expansion came out way after AC's live team began running content in which the player's actions determined the outcome. If players didn't beat back a Shadow invaision the shadows took over towns, etc. One server, famously, helped the Shadows and where on all the other servers there was erected a monument for the voctory over the Shadows on that server there is no visible monument.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

You can trace back most features to the first Online RPGs that came before the likes of even UO by years.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by VowOfSilence

Originally posted by Marcus-

Dynamic events: as in quests or events that can change based upon collective player actions

first:  You might want to check into the timeline with the attack on Trinsic in UO, , when Jou'nor (controlled by the dev team) led an attack on trinsic, in a pretty cool quest line, that all the players had to stop...

copy and paste from wikki....

"In 2000 the game expands to Australia. Lord British disappears. Rumors fly on the wind about the disappearance of the King. Some claim he was abducted by mongbats, while others insist that it was the work of more malevolent forces. In February, a massive army of undead laid siege to the once peaceful city of Trinsic. Due to the overwhelming odds, the dark army managed to conquer the city under the leadership of Juo'nar and the Dark Mistress Minax. All hope seemed to be lost, but noble Britannians from all over rallied together and reclaimed the city from the clutches of evil!" 

But that sounds more like one-time, GM-driven events. Should be in its own category.

Modern event systems are coded and automated.

Isn't the title of the thread, who did it first?

/shrug

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Aheron's Call did not have manual aiming.  What it was, or how it worked, that if your character was moving when someone was trying to hit you, there was a greater chance that whomever was trying to hit you could miss - yes you could dodge war spells and arrows.   It also effected the person attacking in that if you were moving and tried to hit someone it increased your chances to miss.  But there was no manual aiming.  I think Necron was the first to try this.

Vanguard had flying mounts, housing and guild halls.

If I recall AC had mini-maps.

UO though I think did most all of this other than flying mounts long before any other MMORPG came along.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

what about seige items such as boats, cannons etc, things that require mulitple people to reasitcally use.

yeah I am a darkfall junkie but I am also not assuming it hasnt been done before.

Dark Age of Camelot actually added catapaults to sieges after they re-worked the frontiers.   It took like three or four people to haul them to the castle and two to operate one.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Seffren

Dying clothes - seen in War

Appearance tabs - seen in Lotro

Achievements - seen in Wow

Artifacts - seen in Rift

Flying mounts - seen in Wow

Just a few of the top of my head. Not sure if they all apply.

Good list, but.....appearance tabs were in EQ2 long before LotRO, and artifacts from Rift are very similar to collections in EQ2.

I would like to add to this list GM Events from EQ2, although I doubt they were the first to do them. I think UO did them as well.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Multi-class system: Guild Wars

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• HandsomeHussHandsomeHuss Member UncommonPosts: 100

Just wanted to say, when I first saw this thread, I thought it was going to be straight up flame bait, and would turn into instant bickering right out the gate.

Instead, this list is actually very well put together and pretty informative. MMORPG.com community, I applaud you.

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340

Originally posted by xKingdomx

Multi-class system: Guild Wars

You might find that FFXI released in Japan in 2002 and has basic multiclassing.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Though EQ did launch a few months before Asheron's Call, I'm thinking the SoV expansion came out way after AC's live team began running content in which the player's actions determined the outcome. If players didn't beat back a Shadow invaision the shadows took over towns, etc. One server, famously, helped the Shadows and where on all the other servers there was erected a monument for the voctory over the Shadows on that server there is no visible monument.

Ah, but iirc that was a dev run event, a one-time thing, not an automated event that was happening even if there were no devs around to steer it. I was referring to those automated events that change their follow up actions based upon collective player effort

Originally posted by Blutmaul

In Istara (aka Horizon) you can play a race of Dragons...well...sort of baby dragons compared to real ones...

Ah, ok, I didn't know that, I only followed the game up to the point that they intended to start with only 2 races.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Public quests: as in quests that aren't bound to 1 player or group but which are just happening and in which players that are around can participate

first: Ultima Online - Cooperative Collections in Mondain's legacy in 2005

seen in: WAR, CO, GW2, Rift

Player generated quests/content: quests created by players for other players to do

first: Ultima Online - however this has been going on since the MUD days.

seen in: STO, Ryzom, CoX

You really could create automatic quests for other players in UO? When was this introduced?

edit: I think I'll add a 'done best' or 'best execution' as an added line, which admittedly is subjective so if people have suggestions why one MMORPG did it better than another and what it was that made it special, then post it here.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Public quests: as in quests that aren't bound to 1 player or group but which are just happening and in which players that are around can participate

first: WAR, as far as I know

seen in: WAR, CO, GW2, Rift

Do you have other eyecatching MMO features that are missing here or any corrections or additions to the list above, post it here.

I find it hard to believe but FFXI's 4th expansion had this sort of an event in 2006 and 2007, so it was around before WAR at least.

I'd like to add cutscenes in quests to XI as well (from 2002), afaik. Horizontal endgame also. Maybe random instances.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

Really interesting and informative thread. Good job.

Eat me!

• SeffrenSeffren Member Posts: 743

Permadeath?

Don't know who did it first and didn't see it in any MMO I played, but I assume it must exist, no?

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919

FFXI had the every race could choose any class at any time and you could change them with your Moogle and mix and match 2 classes. So they are the true pioneers of multiclass.

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

I know that the ability to "hearth" was not present in vanilla EQ for all classes, and I don't recall it being in AO either. Does anyone know what the first game was that gave all characters the ability to set a home point and return to it?

Some other categories (for which I don't know the answers):

• First to have a server-wide chat channel

• First to have abilities with a "window of opportunity" after a particular event, such as Overpower in WoW

• First to have equipment that Binds when equipped

• AsaruAsaru Member UncommonPosts: 5

Non-Tab Combat:

Meridian 59

Arena PVP:

Meridian 59  (Arena in TOS)

Housing:

you could rent a room in Merdian59.. but i'm not sure if it was before UO.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by Disdena

I know that the ability to "hearth" was not present in vanilla EQ for all classes, and I don't recall it being in AO either. Does anyone know what the first game was that gave all characters the ability to set a home point and return to it?

Some other categories (for which I don't know the answers):

• First to have a server-wide chat channel

• First to have abilities with a "window of opportunity" after a particular event, such as Overpower in WoW

• First to have equipment that Binds when equipped

Ultima Online had the recall spell which allowed you to teleport anywhere in the game world that you set a "marked rune" for.

It was a spell in magery, but i cannot imagine there were any characters in the game that didnt have it. If there was, it was a rarity indeed.

• thecipherthecipher Member UncommonPosts: 146

After thinking about it a bit, you might want to split the "Player generated quests/content" into two parts, as I think there's a need for it:

UGC Tools (User Generated Content)

- First Seen: Ryzom

- Seen in: Ryzom, CoX, STO, SWG (the storyteller tools)

Player Generated Quests (Bounties, etc.)

- First Seen: UO (?)

- Seen in: UO, SWG

The main difference between these two is that the games with UGC tools basically lets players create instances for each other, where they're in control of the environments, individual quest updates, AI behavior, mob appearance and frequency etc., while the latter category, which technically counts as "player generated content" is more a matter of placing a bounty on a particular mob and such.

http://machineborn.guildportal.com - Now recruiting players!