Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst Game 2011

Comments

• pixeldogmeatpixeldogmeat Member Posts: 441

Originally posted by Inat_mivea
    definitely disappointing to read this; i been waiting for this release. just wondering though - for those that played SWG at release, it too was considered rough. would you have stuck with SWG if it wasnt star wars?

hell yes, because it was an awesome game to begin with, you could have put any sci-fi skin on it and it would have rocked.

PLAY WURM ONLINE!! www.wurmonline.com

• Inat_miveaInat_mivea Star Wars Galaxies CorrespondentMember Posts: 249

Originally posted by pixeldogmeat

Originally posted by Inat_mivea

definitely disappointing to read this; i been waiting for this release. just wondering though - for those that played SWG at release, it too was considered rough. would you have stuck with SWG if it wasnt star wars?

hell yes, because it was an awesome game to begin with, you could have put any sci-fi skin on it and it would have rocked.

aww come now, we were blinded by blasters and wookie hair :)

“The contents of this post do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com and its management.”

• BlightedLordBlightedLord Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by sullivanj69

Originally posted by Agricola1

I agree with this, open world sand box games are pretty much indie developer projects and few and far between nowadays. So people like me that like this type of MMO have a choice of spending the cash for a new sand box once or twice a year or sitting on my arse moaning about how an indie developer can't release it in a polished state (not that the big corporations like Blizzard or SOE can anyway).

So either I buy now and play and hope MHS is the next CCP or play nothing and whine on forums about it until one comes along or I die of old age! The money isn't that big of a deal (I spend more on cigars and drinks in a week than MMORPGs in a year), so I say **** it!

If it does a crash and burn then well it's another horror story for me to recant on the MMORPG.com forums to some nub in a few years that thinks the lead dev of X project is the second coming of Brad McQuaid until I remind him of the total disaster he had with ER ;)

If not then I'll be happy until I get bored of the game and something new comes along, it's like buying a good cigar. A Habanos doesn't come cheap but you have to buy it and smoke it before you know if you like it, reading reviews of self confessed "Afficionados" just doesn't cut it so you have to accept the risk if you want to widen your tastes. If money is too much of a problem go back to smoking old holborn and if you got a free smoke to sample it and didn't like it ... just STFU and don't complain like a ****ing muppet!

QFT

I refuse to play any MMO that is not a FFA pvp full loot sandbox.  I will purchase all games in this vein to encourage further development of this market.  So few come out that it doesn't hurt the wallet much.  I also spend more on booze and cigars in a week thani would on an mmo...lol.  Haven't tried this one but i'm pretty excited.  I couldn't care less about controls or how my character looks.  I want to take people's stuff after murdering them and get involved in the politics of an FFA game with conquest.  

100% Supported.

Ive been in the beta for quite a while and guess what i actually enjoy the game. Yes it has its bugs, but what game doesnt (and interestingly the most common complaint is the animations - LOOOOL). Anyways the dev team maintains great contact with the community and are making a clear effort to fix the issues. If they keep to the roadmap and don't lose to many idiots in the first month, the game WILL be phenomenal.

Lets face it the vast majority of the people whining about it are the same people who have hopped between every MMO released in the past few years and never stayed for more than a couple of weeks. And everyone calling rift great loves WoW but wont admit it to themselves.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

The only real complaints I have about the game are the performance issues(hitching A LOT) and the controls kind of suck.

Also there was a bug where a mob was immortal. I couldn't hurt it.

There are probably more bugs.

I didn't experience any crashes yet.

• DismantledDismantled Member UncommonPosts: 121

As a long time AoC player. I think that AoC deserves that title every year for as long as it's been out.

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448

If Earthrise releases this week, it will be an unmitigated disaster. There is simply no way around it. You cannot compare this game to EVE or any of the other "indie" games out there, it's not even CLOSE to what EVE was when it launched. The Earthrise beta plays like a proof-of-concept for a game that hasn't even begun development yet. It looks like they created some landscape, and a user interface - and that's it. There is no actual game, the rest is barely a framework for a game to be built around. I don't mean to insult anyone, but if you pay for this, you are a MORON.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by Sorrow

My vote was for DCUO until I played earthrise last night. The developers even admit the game is broken, unfinished, and nearly unplayable but they are pushing it out anyway because the are broke and need the players to pay so they can finish the game : P

Blink blink

So sick of game developers that think their customers should be used as revenue to cover developement costs.

Ennn

That is the job of investors.

If a game developer mismanages their budget, then you fire them, hire new managers and find more investors to finish the project.

If the can not turn out a good game for a resonable and projected amount of money then they should all lose thier jobs and go out of business, otherwise they polute the market and taint the investor pool, making that much harder for the next grassroots company looking for investors.

Have you got a link for that? Not challenging your statement, genuinely interested.  Personally I can forgive a lot more if there is openness and transparency from the developer. I would be more inclined to give them cash if they did a Settlers of Garaneth type deal, to pay premium price and a AAA sub is taking the piss imho.

Last I heard they have 70+ staff. If they are in financial difficulty selling 10,000 digital boxes is going to fund them for about a month if that. I also hope it clear at the point of sale what the deal is.

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

Originally posted by Papadam

Compared to other indie snadboxes (DF and MO) its really good so far except for the perforamnce. If they delay it a month it will probably be pretty good.

Its funny that 90% of the posts here are whining about there being no old school MMOs being released and now when they do come out everyone just trash them.

Fallen earth had simillar problems just before launch and delayed for a couple of weeks and turned out pretty good.

Fallen earth is not doing that great , they really have a retention problems with players i did love my time in Fe except for having to make ammo every couples days i hated having to harvest all the time .

as for ER i hope it turn out better we really need more sci-fi mmo's out there with the quality of eveonline .

Originally posted by xpiher

The controls don't need any work. You can switch to standard wasd movement by typing in /wqse enter and you can switch to standard FPS movement by hitting TAB. If you can't be bothered to read the manual for a game then you will suck playing sandbox games. Seriously, have the complains about this game stem from the "UI" and yet people don't bother reading the manual or realizing "oh its an FPS game too UI HAS TO BE DIFFERENT Herp adurp" 

Agree. However if you have played Tabula Rassa, Global Agenda, APB or even Fallen Earth the control (note: control not controls) is  soooo much better in those titles. My biggest issue with ER is the disconnect you feel with your character, controlling them is like trying to steer a drunken elephant home from the pub. This is having mastered the controls (not hard as you say). This leads to pretty unsatisfying combat and combat is at the heart of the game.

The other thing worth mentioning the gameplay is at best early beta. Personally I find it easier to forgive technology issues than fundemental game design stuff.

Originally posted by AUNSLAUGHT

This game is due to be released in 3 days according to MMORPG and after playing about an hour in beta it feels as though the game is in need of a lot of work still. I think the concept of this game has something going for it but with the horrid controls and lack lust character options I believe that it may be better if they hold off a bit more to get this game a bit more polished before launching it in its current state.

The controls are fine. Read the manual!

As I said above even if you master the controls control is still borked. That's even if you make allowance for the hitching and glitching.

Originally posted by BlightedLord

I refuse to play any MMO that is not a FFA pvp full loot sandbox.  I will purchase all games in this vein to encourage further development of this market.  So few come out that it doesn't hurt the wallet much.  I also spend more on booze and cigars in a week thani would on an mmo...lol.  Haven't tried this one but i'm pretty excited.  I couldn't care less about controls or how my character looks.  I want to take people's stuff after murdering them and get involved in the politics of an FFA game with conquest.  

100% Supported.

Ive been in the beta for quite a while and guess what i actually enjoy the game. Yes it has its bugs, but what game doesnt (and interestingly the most common complaint is the animations - LOOOOL). Anyways the dev team maintains great contact with the community and are making a clear effort to fix the issues. If they keep to the roadmap and don't lose to many idiots in the first month, the game WILL be phenomenal.

Lets face it the vast majority of the people whining about it are the same people who have hopped between every MMO released in the past few years and never stayed for more than a couple of weeks. And everyone calling rift great loves WoW but wont admit it to themselves.

Apart for the one or two that have wandered down the wrong dark alley most people here are looking for a proper FFA sandbox. They are disappointed because while ER promises much it really dosen't deliver it now. Oh and you know that peoples good gear will be insured, right? (AC1 Darktide, one of the best pure FFA pvp experiences had insurance, nothing wrong with that).

So you think people are 'idiots' for playing Eve, DF or hell even MO over this? mmmOK. 

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Originally posted by Gorilla

Originally posted by AUNSLAUGHT

This game is due to be released in 3 days according to MMORPG and after playing about an hour in beta it feels as though the game is in need of a lot of work still. I think the concept of this game has something going for it but with the horrid controls and lack lust character options I believe that it may be better if they hold off a bit more to get this game a bit more polished before launching it in its current state.

The controls are fine. Read the manual!

As I said above even if you master the controls control is still borked. That's even if you make allowance for the hitching and glitching.

The only thing I noticed about control that irked me is the inability to quickly turn around. The game is also sensitive to DPI and I had to turn my mouse DPI down to match the game's speed. Everything else thats wrong with control stems from performance issues. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• GnatBugGnatBug Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by Celusios

This game is probably the worst MMORPG title on the market. Anyone who does not believe me get a beta key and hop into the game. Character creation is lacking as crap, UI sucks, and of course the movement controls are HORRID.

Hey this tittle has been taken by STO ...for 2010 - 2012

Originally posted by micona

Originally posted by Papadam

Compared to other indie snadboxes (DF and MO) its really good so far except for the perforamnce. If they delay it a month it will probably be pretty good.

Its funny that 90% of the posts here are whining about there being no old school MMOs being released and now when they do come out everyone just trash them.

Fallen earth had simillar problems just before launch and delayed for a couple of weeks and turned out pretty good.

Fallen earth is not doing that great , they really have a retention problems with players i did love my time in Fe except for having to make ammo every couples days i hated having to harvest all the time .

as for ER i hope it turn out better we really need more sci-fi mmo's out there with the quality of eveonline .

Not sure why they didn't do better tbh? Often I think I should go back and feel guilty for not supporting them (seemed like a good team). I guess the hybrid (sandbox / themepark) did not work. Themepark guys leave after they have done the 'content' and sandboxers did not have enough to do / fight over (though there is a metric crap ton more than ER).

The only thing I noticed about control that irked me is the inability to quickly turn around. The game is also sensitive to DPI and I had to turn my mouse DPI down to match the game's speed. Everything else thats wrong with control stems from performance issues. 

Yeah turning is the worse. Keyboard turn or leave yourself some space to swing round in an arc. I hope that the up and coming client patch does as much for client 'feel' as the server patch did for stability. I was kind of impressed with that.  Even with 40 fps out in the open things can feel sluggish. There are still sometimes database issues (slow pulling up vendor stuff is a classic manifestation of DB performance). Do you know if they are on the new East Coast hardware yet?

This is way to close to release....delaying as long as possible would be best (I guess investors are preventing that) even a week or two would pay dividends.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Originally posted by Gorilla

Yeah turning is the worse. Keyboard turn or leave yourself some space to swing round in an arc. I hope that the up and coming client patch does as much for client 'feel' as the server patch did for stability. I was kind of impressed with that.  Even with 40 fps out in the open things can feel sluggish. There are still sometimes database issues (slow pulling up vendor stuff is a classic manifestation of DB performance). Do you know if they are on the new East Coast hardware yet?

This is way to close to release....delaying as long as possible would be best (I guess investors are preventing that) even a week or two would pay dividends.

Turning felt more natural once I lowered my DPI to ... 1500. And the not being able to quickly turn around thing is probably a game design choice. To be clear, I'm talking about performing a 180 degree turn quickly. MHS could have that option not possible to prevent jump fighting (it works). 

If thats the case, then a simple "fix" would be to add in a quick turn around key, X would work, that would do a 180 turn if you aren't in the air. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

I have a vague recollection of it being a design choice too (I read the beta forums from begining to end when I started testing so there was quite a lot to digest). Best solution is simply to prevent turning whilst in the air (if that was the intention). I wonder if it is also to add a game play element of 'sneaking up behind'. If so the benefit does not outweigh the frustration. Again you do learn not to get to close to stuff so that you don't need to keyboard turn like a noob but ......just no.

• BaihuigauBaihuigau Member Posts: 80

Their not telling us gorilla we have asked if they moved to the retail server, i know my ping is still the same, if they have then it will be pretty fail, their still not telling us when the performance patch is coming out or if its coming out at all.

• EmoqqboyEmoqqboy Member UncommonPosts: 194

Gonna share some personal opinions. Not sure if many of you either fans or whiners or both see games such as this from a business perspective. Here you are saying you'll wait till they shape things up, and there they are waiting to see how many people buy/subscribe to determine how much more capital to dump into the game to shape things up.

And from the look of things, the reason why most games release earlier than they should, is prolly cause their funding cap is being hit. To the point they need revenue from other sources, ie. releasing and having players buy/pay subs etc. I'm sure if given unlimited funding, they would polish and polish till its 100% flawless before releasing it, but such is never the reality of the situation from a business point of view.

Investors pump in X number of dollars, and up to Y time, they need to see certain results, or the funding stops. So here we have it. unfortunately within the span of Y time, things are never good enough to meet everyone's expectations. This cycle repeats itself in general imo.

<QQ moar plz. kkthxbai.>

• ExpiryExpiry Member UncommonPosts: 76

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Oh come on... It's a good game they just have some crappy stability issues right now. During testing I had no issue with the games actual gameplay and direction. My issues were disconnects and server lag. Other than that EarthRise is right up there with Perpetuum.

Rock God,  How the hell do you have 4,526 posts in just over a year. Thats about 12 posts every day for the last 380 days. MY GOD MAN!!!!!!!!!!! (Sry for the off topic but that incredible) - do you need a friend?
  • Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Originally posted by Emoqqboy

Gonna share some personal opinions. Not sure if many of you either fans or whiners or both see games such as this from a business perspective. Here you are saying you'll wait till they shape things up, and there they are waiting to see how many people buy/subscribe to determine how much more capital to dump into the game to shape things up.

And from the look of things, the reason why most games release earlier than they should, is prolly cause their funding cap is being hit. To the point they need revenue from other sources, ie. releasing and having players buy/pay subs etc. I'm sure if given unlimited funding, they would polish and polish till its 100% flawless before releasing it, but such is never the reality of the situation from a business point of view.

Investors pump in X number of dollars, and up to Y time, they need to see certain results, or the funding stops. So here we have it. unfortunately within the span of Y time, things are never good enough to meet everyone's expectations. This cycle repeats itself in general imo.

I think most of us are aware of that - you have seen the posts from people saying they're buying it anyway, right? Simply to invest in the  future of the game, or to show support for indie devs / sandbox games. Not everyone is willing to buy a box and keep a sub running for something they don't intend to actively play until 6 months down the line.

The trouble with launching early when you've run out of cash is that many people will buy and try, get frustrated, leave and NEVER come back. They will also fill forums with emoQQ (love your name by the way) about how broken the game is, and maybe put other potential players off. That won't provide the investors with a very rosy picture either, but it's the catch-22 of gaming development.

Way I see it is that ER is not as "broken" as some say, but it is not release ready. It comes down to a personal decision about buying (and playing) from launch to help stomp the bugs and push the roadmap along, or waiting to see how things develop (either with a box and a sub, or without  and going purely on forum chatter).

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

The game hasn't even launched yet and people are already trashing it.  That's the thing about MMORPG.com, it's a place where people like to move around random game list entries and trash the games.  Once the game has released you can trash talk it all you want, until then I'm not gonna get too involved in responding. 

People said the exact same things about Darkfall before it launched.  And it was criticised too after it was launched, and it's launch was pretty awful tbh.  (not as bad as vanguard though)  And now it is doing quite well.  If a game company can make a somewhat playable FFA PVP full loot sandbox then it will find an audience because so many game companies ignore the genre.   

Lag/Desync issues:  easy fix.  Especially with a new server at launch  Boring combat?  Combat is never boring in an FFA full loot pvp game, due to adhrenaline.  Animations? LOL. Lack of content?  Um no.  it's a pvp game, there is plenty of "content" to follow around and murder. 

Wait and see.  I have a good feeling about this game.  

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• ThanosxpThanosxp Member UncommonPosts: 177

The game hasn't even launched yet and people are already trashing it.  That's the thing about MMORPG.com, it's a place where people like to move around random game list entries and trash the games.  Once the game has released you can trash talk it all you want, until then I'm not gonna get too involved in responding. 

People said the exact same things about Darkfall before it launched.  And it was criticised too after it was launched, and it's launch was pretty awful tbh.  (not as bad as vanguard though)  And now it is doing quite well.  If a game company can make a somewhat playable FFA PVP full loot sandbox then it will find an audience because so many game companies ignore the genre.   

Lag/Desync issues:  easy fix.  Especially with a new server at launch  Boring combat?  Combat is never boring in an FFA full loot pvp game, due to adhrenaline.  Animations? LOL. Lack of content?  Um no.  it's a pvp game, there is plenty of "content" to follow around and murder. 

Just for the sake of history:

Darkfall fans found not only the launch GOOD, but the whole game right after launch , even using the old "if u don't like it go back to wow"

People r bashing, other ppl r praising it for it's potential..same old in the forum. It's not some absurd to speak ill of ANY game even if it's not launched yet: is NDA lifted? Then it's even expected by the publisher/developer. Many ppl dislike the FFA/full loot design, but the majority here is talking about some bad implemented features. I, for one, am worried about that. Intended to buy the game in launch. Waiting to see now...

=/

• MadimorgaMadimorga Member UncommonPosts: 1,920

One good thing about MMORPG in this particular case is how low my expectations for Earthrise were when I finally got my beta key and got the game downloaded.  I was pleasantly shocked by how Earthrise really was.  I walked around in game mostly taking screenies and staring slack-jawed at the beauty of it while waiting for glitches, crashes, and lag to make the game unplayable or for a squad of griefers to permacamp my remains.  Never happened. 

So I ran around to as many places as I could, still taking screenies, happy to no longer be motion sick, getting killed by various mobs, running from players who tried to kill me, and once in awhile managing to kill and loot something.  The loot seems scarce and rare, but on the other hand, by not standing still, my character did take out a few ranged mobs who could have killed her in two hits if they didn't keep missing.  It required a little planning and judgement to isolate mobs and then figure out the range and firing speed of their weapon vs the range and speed of mine so I could survive these fights, and it was a refreshing change from the usual 'either I can kill it or I can't based on its level vs mine' decision making process.

I expected the UI to require an engineering degree.  It barely required reading the directions that popped up the minute my character was in game.  I expected annoying clunkiness, but I don't play FPS games, so if there was any, I didn't notice.  Except movement speed is a bit slow.  I like my characters to run faster than Earthrise characters run, but then, I've never found a game that matches AO character runspeed even at fairly low levels, much less the speed of a high level character who maxed runspeed, and it's also partly in the run animations.  Characters in Earthrise seem to lope lazily along, except when they sprint,  but at least when I did need to outrun something, I usually could.

Are there things I want to see that don't exist in game (at least not yet)?  Yes!  Player housing, social gathering areas, and banks, as well as more variety in character creation.  I would also like my real life bank to fix its international transactions bug so I can preorder the game. 

I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy, accompanied by an educational system which would be oriented toward social goals.

~Albert Einstein

• Such a dumb statement, how could you possibly know that? Sure it could be that bad, but the year has barely started and the game is not out? Or was just released and with that kind of information YOU are able to make such a claim? Absolutely astonishingly stupid. 

Fyi I have not tried the game, but such threads are interesting, people never ceases to surprise me, in a bad way.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file