Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Beta Event 5 Report

Comments

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Originally posted by Zyonne

Originally posted by mudd4ever

One question, does Rift have a dye-system allowing for some diversity and color coordinating armor and stuff?  Does anyone know?

Yes, it has a dye-system. I didn't try it out myself, but it's mentioned here: http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/01/19/enter-at-your-own-rift-sightseeing-in-sanctum/

...in the "Commerce" section.

Aye, the dye system lets you alter primary and secondary colors on each article of clothing/armour. I was playing a rogue with a blood red and dark purple color scheme which turned out pretty good. 

Apparently not a lot of people knew about the armour dye system as I had players in my group asking where I got the gear from. After the run I showed them the dye merchant and we spent about an hour tweaking color combos. When we all had colors that we liked we did a few rift hunts and then decided to go harass the gaurdians on their own turf :P

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

I dont know, but I sure enjoyed the open world pvp.  The Rifts themselves created the open world pvp.  There were 2 raids on each side fighting for the zone event in Scarlet Gorge, that was epic feeling.  I can see how their pvp raid objectives can be implemented if it was so prevalent before level 30.

We fought for over an hour fighting back the defiants, while we had 1 group of 10 people working on the boss slowly.  We had 2 raids working together as a team, the leaders of each raid calling out switches so that every person in both raids would be able to get contribution on the boss and get favor in pvp.  It was the single most epic and chaotic event I have been part of since the Shadow Wars

PVP has the opportunity to bring open world conflict back to the forefront, although I too wish there was a 3rd faction, I fear 1 faction's dominance on a server squishing the other side.

• iRock707iRock707 Member Posts: 2

Anybody know if this will be F2P? ><"

• iRock707iRock707 Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Myrdynn

Originally posted by iRock707

Anybody know if this will be F2P? ><"

{Mod edit}

okay. thanks for the respond.

• kyleiscool77kyleiscool77 Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Originally posted by pierth

Originally posted by Rockgod99

From what i've read the endgame seems stacked and lets not downplay it by just saying its a bunch of instances. This game offers ten multi-wings hardmode dungeons with all types of random elements. Enterable rifts with fights in the open world with massive world bosses and two tiers of raid progression through two raid dungeon with 6-10 bosses in them each that can be cleared with 10 or 25 players.

This again!? Why 25? Why couldn't they make it 20 or 30 so that it would be more convenient to do alliances with other guild's 10 man dungeon teams? This never made sense to me when Blizzard did it and it's idiocy that Trion is copying it.

I have no idea...

If i had my way they would give us 40 man raids and call it a day.

I want big massive raids with giant bosses maybe a dungeon that takes months to progress through with 10-20 bosses.

I guess ill have to settle for 25 but hopefully they take a while to progress through.

your gonna heal for a month straight?

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by Bill Murphy

Secondly I fear that as versatile and interesting the multi-soul system is a lot of the classes will wind up feeling too similar to make much difference.  Different names for the same result being the chief concern.  There are a lot of talents, but precious few skills in each soul to make them stand out from one another.

I think you miss understand the purpose of the various souls.  Yes there are a couple of skills that over lap, like the Warden and Sentinal skill to raise a companion, and the bonuses to healing.   That is OK...because if you spec that far into the various trees you'll only be hurting yourself be doubling up on skills like that.   The cool thing about Rift's soul system is the ability take souls that compliment one another....that is where this system really comes into play.   Wish to play a powerful healer, for group or single target, there are souls to allow you to do this.  Wish to be a healer that can tank like a Pally.  The option is there.   Wish to be a DPS, damage mitigation/ healer - the option is there.   Wish to be a melee DPS/healer the option is there as well.  Wish to have a strong solo play based character - most classes offer souls that allow you to build such a character.  

I am really loving the Rift soul system.  For the type of game it is - it really does raise the bar on customization on how a character plays.

• SmintarSmintar Member UncommonPosts: 214

Originally posted by Paragus1

My main conern with this game is that it offers little to no value for PvP seekers.  It really feels like it was tacked on as an after thought.   The PvE is interesting, but once you hit max level and are faced to run instances or participate in a mediocre PvP system, I think most people will be leaving this game in 60-90 days.   It's a polished game and well made, but I think there isn't enough meat on the bone for long term viability when there are other games that have been out longer that have much more content and almost the exact same gameplay.

I totally agree about the PVP I really thoought it was just aweful to me they might aswell have left it out. Started over later on.

I like that I found the game to be more linear than I expected. Zone have a lvl requiremnt to it so that kinda bummed me out I like to explore no restrictions but here we do have them.

I thought that its a good things to have groups join they way they did for rifts. I didnt care much for the chat system, to me a little ackward I guess Im so use to something more like standard no link in the chat bubble for the chat you need.

The rides that are offered are definately different and certainly would enjoy riding them. The town were detailed very nice good world art. Kudos to the designer !

I made an Elf Guardian rogue/rng I have always enjoy the rng class anyway I found I could take on lvl 27 in scarlet gorge with him a 23 a little work but can be done. Strategies are basically the same in all mmo's.

Ill wait and see what the content will bring no hurry  to buy at this time.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Originally posted by marzatplay

The BETA was great, I only came away disappointed with the performance as I know my computer can handle better graphics but I had to keep them low in order to be able to play. I certianly hope they fix this.

Your not the only one having problems . I've spoken to plenty of people in the same boat . I can play lotro on high-ultra and AoC medium-high with tweaks but can only run RIFT on lowest settings smoothly . I enjoy the game though but I too hope they sort this out by release . I do have the latest drivers and even reformatted my pc to see if i could improve the performance with no luck .

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

I think the soul system is one of the best parts, and yes lots in the game is well done, but even so I dont think ill be buying it, with GW2 , Tera and SWTOR showing lots of promise I find it hard to invest time in this game.

Plus even tho many dont agree , I am having a great time in DCUO, best best of luck to those enjoying it, I will say it is a much better game then the one every body compares it to.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

The BETA was great, I only came away disappointed with the performance as I know my computer can handle better graphics but I had to keep them low in order to be able to play. I certianly hope they fix this.

Your not the only one having problems . I've spoken to plenty of people in the same boat . I can play lotro on high-ultra and AoC medium-high with tweaks but can only run RIFT on lowest settings smoothly . I enjoy the game though but I too hope they sort this out by release . I do have the latest drivers and even reformatted my pc to see if i could improve the performance with no luck .

Don't know what you are doing because I put everything to max but AA (4x) and something else I don't remember and it run very smooth on my 8800GT, a old AMD 64 X2 @2.2 GHZ and 3 gig of RAM on Vista

That being said, if nothing else the game is fun, much fun for sure.

• nightfallrobnightfallrob Member Posts: 167

My main conern with this game is that it offers little to no value for PvP seekers.  It really feels like it was tacked on as an after thought.   The PvE is interesting, but once you hit max level and are faced to run instances or participate in a mediocre PvP system, I think most people will be leaving this game in 60-90 days.   It's a polished game and well made, but I think there isn't enough meat on the bone for long term viability when there are other games that have been out longer that have much more content and almost the exact same gameplay.

I gotta disagree with you here. I played in this beta and the pvp seemed fast, fun, and furious to me. I was on a pvp server, so that may have made a difference, and I only made it to around level 20 so that too may have made a difference. I'm looking forward to the next beta and I'm hoping my new comp will be here so I can enjoy the graphics.

• nightfallrobnightfallrob Member Posts: 167

Originally posted by Teala

Originally posted by Bill Murphy

Secondly I fear that as versatile and interesting the multi-soul system is a lot of the classes will wind up feeling too similar to make much difference.  Different names for the same result being the chief concern.  There are a lot of talents, but precious few skills in each soul to make them stand out from one another.

I think you miss understand the purpose of the various souls.  Yes there are a couple of skills that over lap, like the Warden and Sentinal skill to raise a companion, and the bonuses to healing.   That is OK...because if you spec that far into the various trees you'll only be hurting yourself be doubling up on skills like that.   The cool thing about Rift's soul system is the ability take souls that compliment one another....that is where this system really comes into play.   Wish to play a powerful healer, for group or single target, there are souls to allow you to do this.  Wish to be a healer that can tank like a Pally.  The option is there.   Wish to be a DPS, damage mitigation/ healer - the option is there.   Wish to be a melee DPS/healer the option is there as well.  Wish to have a strong solo play based character - most classes offer souls that allow you to build such a character.  

I am really loving the Rift soul system.  For the type of game it is - it really does raise the bar on customization on how a character plays.

I'm enjoying the soul system as well. Lots of customization and classes that compliment each other. Has anyone tried going for hybrid vigor and instead of choosing classes that dovetail together gone with a larger spread of various abilities that you've heard of?

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

Originally posted by Williac

I found Rift to be... Who cares?

I enjoyed the heck out of it and really think this is a fun game. The lore is amazing and by far some of the best I have experienced so far. It took me 3 hours to complete the tutorial map simply because of the vast amount of small details such as signs  on doors and walls with messages and historical events. Books with entertaining stories. And as I was reading a sign on a statue that said something about how the Gods would protect these lands, the background was filled with war and the sky with burning rocks from catapults. Simply amazing.

Experience the game yourself. Only then can you know whether it's a game for you. There's too few reviews on this site with valid and qualified claims. :

One of the reasons I am getting it , heard from others that the lore is such a good read. I can't wait myself sounds great! So many want instant satisfaction, I think they need to goto fps, because MMO's never should be that. They are ment to be long means of entertainment and enjoyment. If just combat, it should be a FPS.

Looking forward to playing in march.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Hey Bill,

You said. "There’s no reason a quad-core processor, a nVidia GTX 460, and 6GB of RAM on a 64 bit OS shouldn’t be able to put the title on Ultra and run rampant with v-sync disabled.  Instead I’m running on High with an unstable 25-55 frames per second."

I am running a AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 ghrz, 4 gigs ram, WIN 7 64 bit and a nVidia GTX 460 and had no issues running on Ultra settings. However the default for ultra settings for antialiasing is off and if you turned it on your FPS will drop considerably. I went from 45 to 55fps to dropping to 15fps.

Perhaps when you join us in beta again, you might want to check that if you have the same issues. Hopefully they worked that performance bug out this friday as there were many complaints about it this last go round.

Bill, BTW....Guardians rule and Defiants Drool. :P

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

I'm looking forward to trying the game.  My partner and I finally got a key.  So, hope to see you all in game.   =)

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Originally posted by Deewe

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

Don't know what you are doing because I put everything to max but AA (4x) and something else I don't remember and it run very smooth on my 8800GT, a old AMD 64 X2 @2.2 GHZ and 3 gig of RAM on Vista

That being said, if nothing else the game is fun, much fun for sure.

I don't doubt it . There appears to be no ryhme or reason to who can play it smoothly on max and who can only play it on low .  It does however appear to be pot luck unless on machines of similar specs to ours . Rift is the only game I've had a problem with but it could be that its in beta . Still anyway it looks nice in low and can't wait till 24 th feb ( theres a headstart you know ;) )

• tayanissatayanissa Member Posts: 8

I hate how people say they are going to get the wow crowed in this game the Main reason WoW is soo popular isnt because of its great game because its well just not its because it can be ran on minimal systems. MOMMY and DADDY arnt going to buy a top of the line system for there kid to game on,  only true gammers have top of the line systems and those gammers dont play wow as it is. In my case i play eq2 and it a far better game then WoW could hope of being but it lacks population because despite it being 6 years old it still requires a high end system. You can play WoW on a I Phone and sony has there own version of wow its called Free Realms same exact graphics.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Could you expand on why you think PvP is an afterthought? I'm puzzled as to how you came to this conclusion.

• slipcarbslipcarb Member Posts: 44

junzo316: If you guys play on a PVP server checkout Puff Puff Pass on Seastone. Send me a tell(Abishai) and i'll give you an invite. Goes the same for everyone else just haven't read every post on here.

I've been in two betas so far and am loving it . I actually went and preodered it after beta 5. The soul system is awesome and pve is pretty good. PVP still has some balancing that needs to be done but overall i've had a pretty good time with it. I've played many MMO's but this is the first i've preordered which has suprised me because i've been pretty jaded the past couple years when it comes to mmo's.

I'm not going to tell anyone to purchase the game but give it a shot if you can get into one of the betas. Not only is it a polished product but the devs seem to be pretty cool based on what i've witnessed during the two beta phases i've been in.

P.S.

Thanks again to bingbongbros for hooking me up with the key that allowed me to get into beta :)

• TimacekTimacek Member UncommonPosts: 182

its themepark clone (wow clone) which means that there will be no freedom, no real economy, no housing, no fluff, no real loss meaning (death, respawn full no loss), no motivation, no guild utilities(guild will be chat), no diplomacy.  there will however be bound items and  boundaries everywhere to preserve fun and keeping player imagination and creativity at bay.

• Bill,

I just wanted to let you know that there is no point in reading most of your reviews for me - because we basically think alike.

Seriously though, I like your way of thinking and was surprised at how well, for me, you described the experience one could get in Rift so far. I completely agree with all you said. Doesn't happen too often.

Keep on rocking :)

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by William Murphy

Initially back on the Alpha server I was a bit saddened to find that Rift played largely like so many games before it.  For some reason, though no one in the company had ever promised otherwise, I was expecting perhaps something a bit more unique in terms of how it played.  That said, coming into the Beta 5, knowing that Rift is essentially a highly polished traditional fantasy MMORPG, I found myself enjoying the content much more.

This is such a true statement, it’s strange.  I would not have thought that I would have been excited for the familiar or what I’ve been accustom to.  But what Trion has done is delivered on what we are familiar with, that new-car smell, that fun we initially had when we were trudging through the beginnings of WAR, but with Rift, that feeling of “fun” hasn’t ended.  And Im at level30 and still going through an identity crisis about what I want to mix and match in terms of the vast depth and breadth of character skill customization.

I did find the game-play enticing and a dash of old-school, particularly on the PvP server. Though my expectation might be to just roll on a PvE server, because it seems that I can do everything, even PvP on a PvE server, but completely turn my switch off when my old and tired self succumbs to, well, being older.  But I can still venture into the opposing factions town and try to take it over, and sure, they can sit back and watch me and friends, or they can take-up arms and drive me out.  Same goes the other way.  It’s a very flexible way of game-play.

What’s even as fun, and hilarious at the same time, is how familiar this game is, though how Dynamic and player-centric and player-engaging Trion has made it, to the point where the forums are a-buzz with how engaging and influential the pvp is, even on a pve server.  I mean we have an opportunity to roll on a strictly PvP server or on a PvE server where you really aren’t influence by it all that much, but so many folks are astonished that a massively-mulitplayer theme-park game would actually be, well, massively-multiplayer influenced, as opposed to being a single-player rpg.  It’s quite entertaining to watch.

Rift will do well, is my thought.

• josapajosapa Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by Dragim

I agree with Paragus1 in the fact that it offers little or no value for PvP seekers.  Granted the game is pretty polished and has its goods, the pvp factor is really lacking.  The only reason Warhammer is getting thrown into the comparison list is because of Rifts looking like Warhammer's Public Quests.  As for the PvP side of it, the only thing similar to Warhammer is "Warfronts" which are like "Battlegrounds", but those instanced pvp areas are in every game.

I would like to see a persistant PvP battleground though like in DAoC with Thidranki and such.  Basically it was an "instanced" area, but it was always open and people could join and leave as they please.  There also was a big castle in the middle of it to constantly be taken and re-taken.

Granted DAoC was hands down a lot better than WAR and Rift, and many other games, AND they had the coveted THREE SIDES, the concept was still cool.

I think devs are lazy in the fact of offering only 2 sides.  How many years have we been screaming for a 3 faction game again?

100% agree. Listen to your clients...!

lolololop

• HyperwolfHyperwolf Member UncommonPosts: 120

Pretty spot on from my point of view. I didn't have any expectations at all though, as I basically knew nothing about the game before I entered Beta 4. I've really liked the familiar feel of  the game to be honest.

The only thing reason I'm not too concerned about some of the issues I have with Rift right now is that Trion does really seem to be very responsive to the feedback they are getting in each round  and I don't know for sure, but a company that is so responsive and in touch with the community may just 'fingers crossed' continue to put in the effort after launch day.

It's not really an issue to me if there is only enough content for 3 months game play if they have another 6 months in the pipeline...

You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks
    ~ WC

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

The PVP is very good and lots of fun in this game... and I'm more of a PVE person. The PVP levels are just one facet of the endgame experience of Rift.