Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

I really hate World of Warcraft....Yet, why do I keep playing it?

WrenderWrender Conway, ARPosts: 1,386Member

I wake up on a typical day off from work. I stagger to the computer still about half asleep. First thing I do is come here to mmorpg.com in hope of seeing some little tidbit of information that might give me a glimmer of hope that the MMO genre hasn't completly changed to the point that I can no longer take it. I continue to look desperatly for a new game or simply one that I may have missed that offers real MMO gameplay that I used to love so much. After an hour browsing the internet looking for...something....anything interesting I shut down , go to desktop and click on the WoW icon, log in and play in utter shame and disgust. I utterly am pissed off the whole time I am playing but yet I play...why?....... I absolutly hate this simple minded gameplay. The longer I play the more pissed off I become until I just log out and turn the damned computer OFF. It's bedtime anyways....... 

I guess it's ironic that World of Warcraft was the last really decent MMO game we have seen (the old WoW, not this crap that it has turned into) it actually ha a vibrant, living world full of challenge to experience. I don't understand why people continue to play it as it has changed and de-volved to the point of utter ignorance. No longer is there an actual world of wonder anymore. There is no sense of community anymore, no challenge except for dungeons. 12 million people are subbed but you never seen anyone outside of cities and dungeons. Everyone is in an instanced dungeon because that's all that's left!

Now, the ironic part is how most every new game that we have to look forwards to is trying to do the exact same thing WoW has done thinking people really want that type of mindless gameplay and subscribe and give them thier money. Guess since we, as the gaming public, continue to pay then it ain't gonna change.

So tell me, honestly, do you 12 million WoW players really think this is the type of gameplay you really want? I simply don't believe gamers today have de-volved along with our games and actually accept this type of game development. I think this may be the very thing that keeps people playing WoW. Other games just seem to pale in comparisson to WoW. But it is NOT the gameplay that keeps them, it's simply the polish and quality of the games atmosphere. The online gaming world is ripe for a change. People are not playing these same old same old new games because deep down they are sick and tired of this type of anti-social, easy- mode shallow MMO gameplay.

Does anyone even have a clue as to what the hell I am trying to say here? Does anyone even care? 

Comments

• pierthpierth San Antonio, TXPosts: 1,503Member

Originally posted by Wrender

So tell me, honestly, do you 12 million WoW players really think this is the type of gameplay you really want? I simply don't believe gamers today have de-volved along with our games and actually accept this type of game development. I think this may be the very thing that keeps people playing WoW. Other games just seem to pale in comparisson to WoW. But it is NOT the gameplay that keeps them, it's simply the polish and quality of the games atmosphere. The online gaming world is ripe for a change. People are not playing these same old same old new games because deep down they are sick and tired of this type of anti-social, easy- mode shallow MMO gameplay.

Does anyone even have a clue as to what the hell I am trying to say here? Does anyone even care? 

Today's generation of gamers haven't witnessed the de-evolution of the genre- this is all they've ever had. Those of us that have been playing for years are in the minority. I do agree with the comment regarding overall polish and attention to gameplay, I think this and the social ties developed in-game (or rather in-guild for WoW) is all that is keeping a large part of WoW players satisfied.

I mean really, if other games are only releasing in a half-finished beta state, and all of your friends are still a log-in screen away it makes it very easy to stick with completely bland hamster-wheel gameplay. I won't say that no other players have sentimental attachment to their characters (especially those that are really driven by the achievement system or collectors of mounts/non-combat pets) but I doubt that is a large reason.

• MesfenlirMesfenlir ovPosts: 208Member

Wow is the most addictive I have ever seen.

In general mmos are VERY addictive for some persons (me included) I played my last mmo (except rift beta) a month ago, played great solo games like dragon´s age or mass effect in the meantime but with no use.

I am boring now and in desperate needs of my dose.

I dont have much "social life" and had a personal loss recently.

So mmos help me to forget everything while I am playing them cos my mind stays focus on the game and nothing else.

Its sad I know but I prefer that than being alcoholic or drug-addict

• DaitenguDaitengu Wichita, KSPosts: 442Member

Use the 9 months rule. Don't pick up an MMO till it's been out for 9 months.  You'll be able to tell what it's really about, how the devs are handling the game, and the general community opinions. Plus a lot of bugs tend to be fix by that time. If not, you know it's doomed anyway.

oh and blame skinner's box theory as to why you still play WoW.

• KingdouglasKingdouglas Vxj, AKPosts: 81Member

I think a part of the problem is that the idea that you play a game until you are tired of it doesn't apply in the same way to mmorpgs. At first you enjoy the classic mmorpg gameplay forumla and then as you get tired of that you keep playing for other reasons, like getting gear or status or the ingame friends.

• WrenderWrender Conway, ARPosts: 1,386Member

Originally posted by pierth

Originally posted by Wrender

Today's generation of gamers haven't witnessed the de-evolution of the genre- this is all they've ever had. Those of us that have been playing for years are in the minority. I do agree with the comment regarding overall polish and attention to gameplay, I think this and the social ties developed in-game (or rather in-guild for WoW) is all that is keeping a large part of WoW players satisfied.

You know you are absolutly right, most of today's gamers, that have grew up on these type of games don't know any different but seriously don't you think if a new game came out that actually had some of the deep gameplay elements that us old timers had that today's players would relish in it? I really miss the original gameplay that WoW had at release. If a game came out, somewhat polished with deep content and actual challenge and need for thought, I don't know about all you new players, but I would be all over it! 

• pierthpierth San Antonio, TXPosts: 1,503Member

I would like to say yes, and that's why I think WoW is a great starter game for the new MMO player- the problem is we aren't actually getting games with the old school elements that would build depth. I cannot honestly say whether or not today's MMORPG player would be willing to sacrifice convenience for depth, but as they haven't really encountered that kind of depth in MMORPGs my guess is they wouldn't, and that's why we get shallow MMORPGs now.

• mikethkmikethk svendborgPosts: 105Member

In a hope to get the game you want to play, you cant stop playing.

WOW is addictive, thats why you cant stop.

As you say you start to play each day, still thinking what am i doing.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/304272/page/1 Look at this thread. Might help.

• KingdouglasKingdouglas Vxj, AKPosts: 81Member

I don't think you will get any answers by dividing people into old and new to the genre or by looking back a few years and see that as the good old days.

• GameJeffGameJeff Deerfield, WIPosts: 9Member

Originally posted by Daitengu

Use the 9 months rule. Don't pick up an MMO till it's been out for 9 months.  You'll be able to tell what it's really about, how the devs are handling the game, and the general community opinions. Plus a lot of bugs tend to be fix by that time. If not, you know it's doomed anyway.

oh and blame skinner's box theory as to why you still play WoW.

I like that rule. I could never follow it since I am a game junkie but I like it.  As for WOW I left a long time ago. I never got over the fact that the old PVP spots like south shore( I think that the name) and tarren mill became a ghost town when they released battlefronts.  Oh Well at least I am not addicted to WOW just games in general. 

• mikethkmikethk svendborgPosts: 105Member

Why dont you try out Darkfall?

I say when ppl are done with WOW they can start play the real stuff.

Its 1 world. Only 1 dungeon (1 server for each), massive PVP that counts in the long run.

As an example. My clan just took over a new city. We will sell our old with a shipyard, and therefore have to focus on a new shipyard in our hamlet for us to be able to build ships so we can take over the seatowers. And kill the Kraken.

It makes sense.