Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NDA is down , your impressions ?

Comments

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by Kyleran

What I see from reading this thread is that another under-funded indy dev is about to launch in order to try and bring in enough revenue to keep the doors open.  While the issues being mentioned aren't unexpected its due to the fact they claim to be launching soon which is causing all the heartburn.

Yeah as it stands now..  the game is nowhere NEAR ready to launch in 10 days or so.  There are gamebreaking bugs / exploits that need to be fixed before the game launchs. Otherwise the economy is going to be trash and everyone is going to end up with so many BP's that they are going to be godlike compared to anyone starting out later.

I can farm out about 2k-4k BP an hour on mobs that cant even attack me. I have zero chance of dieing unless a player happens to come wandering by this way out of the way area.

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

Originally posted by Thomas2006

What I see from reading this thread is that another under-funded indy dev is about to launch in order to try and bring in enough revenue to keep the doors open.  While the issues being mentioned aren't unexpected its due to the fact they claim to be launching soon which is causing all the heartburn.

Yeah as it stands now..  the game is nowhere NEAR ready to launch in 10 days or so.  There are gamebreaking bugs / exploits that need to be fixed before the game launchs. Otherwise the economy is going to be trash and everyone is going to end up with so many BP's that they are going to be godlike compared to anyone starting out later.

I can farm out about 2k-4k BP an hour on mobs that cant even attack me. I have zero chance of dieing unless a player happens to come wandering by this way out of the way area.

Where are you farming? The most I've got per hour is 1-1.5k.

Originally posted by drakes821

Originally posted by Thomas2006

Where are you farming? The most I've got per hour is 1-1.5k.

I farm the planets outside of the crystal looking outpost on the eastern side of the map. I can take one down in about 15-30 seconds with a shotgun. They yield me around 15-30 a kill and thats with just the basic starter shotgun / assault rifle. I'd hate to see what I can do once I get some skills and a better weapon.

They also drop some good crafting husks and you will get the occasional random rare item drop from them. There BR 30-49 rating but they cant damage you unless you stand right next to them.

You just have to watch for the birds that fly around and if you agro one just keep attacking it will walking back to the base and theres a zone line there they always get stuck on an just stand there for you to kill them.

I also believe there is a quest inside the base for each of the mobs. Extra little cash while getting additional points for quest turn in.

Something a bit higher risk but bigger payoff is the giant tumbler walking creatures straight south of that base. They hit for 200-300 a hit but if you do it just right you can pull them onto a zone line just outside where they are and kill them off. They are a melee only mob and have no ranged attacks from what Ive seen. You will get some good crafting loot from them. Bit harder to kill and takes a little longer with noob gear and such.

Hmm I'll have to test that spot out. I've been aggro mob killing by the General Store but its a fairly populated place. I haven't even explored the east side of the map too much. 

Originally posted by drakes821

Hmm I'll have to test that spot out. I've been aggro mob killing by the General Store but its a fairly populated place. I haven't even explored the east side of the map too much. 

Yeah its generally a unpopulated area. Good thing is there is a nice little auction house at the base where I'm at. Only one or two other people have used it. But its nice to see what people might put up on it. Some crafting stations and all your basic needs.  I've thought about going hunting along the shore line but the bandits down there are 40+ BR and they have ranged shooting attacks. So you've got to be able to take some good hits before taking them out. 

I really like the music in the area there tough. Sometimes you'll get this awesome techno hit going and sometimes its really soothing majistic style music :)

Its also fairly unpopulated as far as players go on the eastern side.  Well maybe not now that I've made this post.. But it was. I imagine if its gets too crazy I will just move south to one of the islands. I can see them being ripe for the picking as far as killing mobs goes.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

I decided last night after a day or so of beta that I'll wait 6 months before looking at this game again.

Imo atm its DF >> ER >> MO

1. Controls: I find Darkfalls controls much more intuitive than ER's, the lock/unlock of the cursor is just annoying. Yes I got used to using ALT and TAB a lot, but not ALT+TAB thats another story, but still it felt like work to use the ER's controls.

2. Mobs: from what I've seen DF's mobs have significantly better AI

3. Alignment: An area where ER wins, in DF its blue vs blue/red/grey, in ER it feels like Red vs Blue and Blues generally leave other blues alone.

4. Travel: Another area where ER wins, teleporters look like a better option

5. Skill levelling: this one really disappointed me in ER, I was hoping that shooting a shotgun would raise your shotgun skill but no, killing things with your shotgun increases your battle points if you get the last hit, and you use these BP's to buy skills such as Shotgun Level 1, Shotgun Equipment Level 1 (to use Tier 1 shotguns). Much prefer the DF model.

6. Immersion generally: DF > ER: you can (though many dont) play DF in an immersive way, I didnt get that feeling from ER

A personal one - I went though the Indie "help us grow" phase with DF, started to with MO and realised I didnt like the game, I dont think I can bear to do the same with another game atm. Then again, a polished game like Rift hasn't grabbed my interest either.

I enjoy WoW in moderation and after triailing Rift and ER will go back to DF as my other casual game knowing that I am subscribing to the best in both genre.

The important thing for ER will be the rate at which it improves, DF changes are implemented at the pace of frozen molasses, if ER can do a lot better it might become the best sandbox in 6 - 12 months. If nothing else, at least DF should have some competition for subs now, which cant be a bad thing.

heh my 100th post, has only taken 8 years 

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• Joker2240Joker2240 Member Posts: 664

Originally posted by marcust

I decided last night after a day or so of beta that I'll wait 6 months before looking at this game again.

Imo atm its DF >> ER >> MO

2. Mobs: from what I've seen DF's mobs have significantly better AI

5. Skill levelling: this one really disappointed me in ER, I was hoping that shooting a shotgun would raise your shotgun skill but no, killing things with your shotgun increases your battle points if you get the last hit, and you use these BP's to buy skills such as Shotgun Level 1, Shotgun Equipment Level 1 (to use Tier 1 shotguns). Much prefer the DF model.

I am just going to address these two..

2. For ER it is a work in progress like you have stated so AI is one of those areas that you are going to have to stick with it and hope it gets better.  I am however fairly confident that the AI system will eventually get to the way that they have described to us in the past.

5. This is a personal preference, we have always known that by shooting a shotgun would not raise your shotgun skill. It has always been this way. 

From what I have been hearing MHS has been giving out steady patches through out the beta period (I have heard ever 2 weeks or so) hopefully they will continue this trend through out release and beyond.

• seridurseridur Member UncommonPosts: 25

The game is not quite ready to launch, that's the opnion of 2/3 of the beta testers including me. It might survive but it will suffer from problems for a long time. I think I will stay with perpetuum, will check back in 3 months.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

I think if they were to acknowledge that it wasnt ready, and not charge us as if it was, that would go a long way towards appeassing people. Just charge $10 a month to get in on the "post release development phase".

Originally posted by mCalvert

I think if they were to acknowledge that it wasnt ready, and not charge us as if it was, that would go a long way towards appeassing people. Just charge $10 a month to get in on the "post release development phase".

Yeah the problem is if thier releasing their product before its ready they probably need money.

And in all honesty I'd rather see them release the game a bit early, get some subscribers so they could get some income, and then build it up post release and attract more of a crowd months later than spend all thier money developing the game and have no money to support the game after launch if they don't get X amount of subscriptions.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

I have been waiting for this game for almost 3 years, but i am not going to give up yet, i am not planning to buy the game on the 1st, but i will give it a 3 months until Territorial Warfare is out

pretty much everything is being said already, right now, i have no purpose in Earthrise without the TW, all i do is repeated Grind quests, and die, and quest and die

i lost almost all of my item everytime i just gathered them, so in 7 hours, i can only get parts of the mats for Crafting, and that is frustating, and i am not having fun at all like what i have imagined i would

so yeah, playing a MMO without feeling fun is a bad sign, so i am not gonna go for it until TW, hopefully by then, it will be a lot better, i wish MHS all the best on their Roadmap into TW, i hope they can get my money soon, because i want MHS to succeed

So What Now?

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665

Nowhere NEAR ready for release to be honest, half the animations are messed up, combat feel clunky, the default control scheme is awful, I DETEST how you can fire you weapon in an arc without acctualy pointing it in that direction (eg bullets DO leave your gun at a 45 degree angle if thats where you are aiming while your character looks forward) all in all very unimpressed, i'll be waiting till free trial or f2p...

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • fleblikfleblik Member Posts: 41

5. from the earlier post.

Thank god for this! Drove me mad that to be in most clans in DF you had to keep your computer on 24/7 auto on auto programs. Took all the fun out of it for me. So my personal opinion is thank you developers for choosing to go this way (if I understood it correctly that is), im sure people will find other ways to get an advantage, but atleast one thing is off the list.

My life is a game!

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by Thatim2

Originally posted by nerovipus32

well i havent been able to log in for more than 30 seconds without the server crashing.

That is wierd, because I am testing this game for about half a year now, and only experience 2 server crashes.

lol doubt this as the rubberbanding is apparent from even their videos and the server issues are well known.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• AliothAlioth Member UncommonPosts: 236

Good post, Marcust. I agree with most of what you said.

Like many others have stated, this game simply isn't ready for release; there are just too many problems. Aside from the bugs, some of the core concepts aren't very well thought out. A good example of this is the equipment system.

In Earthrise there are 10 tiers of equipment. Each tier of gear is significantly more power than the one before it. You grind to get the ability to equip higher tiers of gear (armour pieces and weapons). Basically what it comes down to is the person with higher tiered equipment wins. This isn't a good model for a free for all full loot pvp MMO.

In virtually all good pvp games equipment doesn't give you an automatic "I win" button. There are usually positive and negative aspects to any given piece(s) of equipment. For example, in Darkfall, the lighter the armour that you wear, the more advantage you will have when casting spells. A mage will trade off high defence (ie. heavy armour) for the ability to cast spells. On the other hand, someone who wants to focus mostly on melee will wear heavy armour, all but giving up their ability to cast spells but gaining the advantage of higher defences (I know this is an oversimplified description of Darkfall). EVE is another game that utilizes this trade-off idea and anyone who has played it will know exactly what I'm talking about.

This trade-off system is what leads to quality pvp, and that's why you see virtually all modern FPS games using it.

Anyway, my point is armour tiers should be more similar to the two Darkfall paths described above (mage and melee). The next tier in the pecking order shouldn't all of a sudden make you a God, but rather, the different tiers should lead to different paths or options with all tiers being just as viable as the others.

• spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 143

Controls are awful, all I have to say about it really. No UI customization, honestly feels like a very early alpha. Hard to even move about in the game, like I said, controls are unbearable, combat is a tad buggy and the world is very bland (although the backdrops are gorgeous) I actually didn't know much about this game when I got my beta key. I jumped right in, played for a few hours and asked if anyone knew an approximate release date. I was told "Feb 4th". I immediately responded, "2012?". That pretty much sums up my impressions, great ideas in here, could be a really fun game but it's waaaaay too early to release it while it's in this state.

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

My impresion from the beta vids is that the game looks terrible.

I can't think of one thing I've seen that either looks fun, or looks good.  Maybe the characters look good... standing still.

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

Wait for the updates prior to release before judging and then again after release to see how fast the devs can pump out patches.

Those who outright dismiss the game are basically the types that cry when they die horribly and lose some pixels in a full loot mmo, your section for handheld themeparks is that way ------------>

• Robdc84Robdc84 Member Posts: 156

it is beta don't forget let them jack me it not the release yet, also insure is your friend it is why it is there. i have been off earthrise till the last patch before release before i decide to get it, if they have fix the sever and smooth out gameplay along with NAME PLATE for the mobs would be nice. also the quest need to at least say the in west area go kill some rats instead of saying kill some rats just a very basic direction to sort of look is nice. the combat is actually awesome when it works right and server is sync and stabe i will willing to give them a chance i see a lot of great things for this game and i hope they can keep there word. i honestly wish they push back another month or two to iron it out and stress the server some more.

IN THE FACE!

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

The control takes some getting used to, if you havent played an MMO or other game with the same type of mechanism before... But it's not hard to grasp.

The keybinds are supposed to get an options interface to edit though, that'll help some of you with control problems..

The UI is nice, functional and compact.. I don't like that they added 'object' icons to the minimap, but oh well, got to find some middle ground.

Combat is fun, although hard to do against other players with the latency spikes we've been getting.. Once the server host issue is resolved that'll probably help, and the usual debugger stuff removed.. yea

Opportunities for guild activities are there, lots of nasty stuff that hunting in a group would be more effective, plus always good to have scouts roaming around to make sure you're not going to get ambushed by the enemy or one of the brigand guilds. No idea how territory control will be, but it's a big land, should be interesting.

The graphics are nice, the animations not so much. This is pure conjecture but I think they just put whatever easy to do animation that works in at first, to get the game playable for launching, and then they will have the time to do proper animations.. dunno. But their development roadmap for post-launch includes a graphics's engine overhaul, so eh...

PVP and FFA - technically it's open pvp ffa loot, but if you insure, you wont lose your equipped items (and if you add extra insurances for items they will apparently remain too), but half of your PVE loot will stay on you. All of those 'quest item' parts that you loot will always be on you, until you turn them in to the appropriate mission guy (which is more like a vendor for a specific type of vendor-junk and not quest givers.. big difference). So you will never completely lose everything if you handle things right. Bit of extra insurance, what.

All 3 factions seem to start in the same outpost in the world, leading to what'll be a general brawl right out of the door - if that is too intense, one can just wander off and find some other outpost to operate out of, in safer territory.. At the moment there's no reason to stick to that starting outpost except it's crafting stations (which you can get back to via the TP network anyway)

Let me end by saying ER's beta/launch is in no way resembling MO's, since people brought it up. The patches have apparently always been pretty good, the one I played through significantly increased my game performance, so that was a good sign.. now to see what the upcoming one will do.

• tikitiki Member Posts: 395

How linear/pathy is the game?  Please tell me its not a linear playground.

East Carolina University, Computer Science BS, 2011
    --------------------
    Current game: DAOC

Games played and quit: L2, PlanetSide, RF Online, GuildWars, SWG, COH/COV, Vanguard, LOTRO, WoW, WW2 Online, FFXI, Auto-Assault, EVE Online, ShadowBane, RYL, Rappelz, Last Chaos, Myst Online, POTBS, EQ2, Warhammer Online, AoC, Aion, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Allods, Darkfall.

Waiting on: Earthrise

Names: Citio, Goldie, Sportacus

• April-RainApril-Rain Member UncommonPosts: 316

i was starting to show some intrest in earthrise, but after reading this thread its sounds like another un-finished fail that also has a expensive box price.

have fun

Playing: FFXIV
    Future: wishing for SWG 2, World of Warcraft Classic
    Played: Most current and extinct MMO's - 18 Years in....

Interesting Fact - I own 27 Tarantula's

Originally posted by tiki

How linear/pathy is the game?  Please tell me its not a linear playground.

Its open don't worry. The map is huge. Their are areas such as mountain paths that are linear but their is a ton of open space. The paths are only through places with rough terain but even then its like a web of paths, not just a single one.

Originally posted by k1klass

i was starting to show some intrest in earthrise, but after reading this thread its sounds like another un-finished fail that also has a expensive box price.

have fun

I wouldn't lose intrest in the game based on this thread. For one reason no one has played the Upgrade Client which is suppose to improve optimization and server issues, add in storage, fix multiple glitches, and decrease the grind.

All I'm saying is i'd check up on the game at release and reserve your judgement till then.

• TimacekTimacek Member UncommonPosts: 182

considering kikass signature. We will thx. Have fun in those games also! :)

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file