Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NDA is down , your impressions ?

Comments

• sverisveri Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by grunty

My impression is that the game wont start. The game client gives a generic error message about not having the right version of directx, physx, and/or graphics card drivers. I've tried running as administrator and as XP and Vista. This game isn't valued enough for me to debug it further.

Haha, youre joking, aren't you? It says please update your drivers, then you go ahead an run it as admin and wonder why it still doesnt work?

Reading and understanding ftw?

I mean, if reading and understanding is already a "debugging" process for ya, uhm, then, well, wait, dont bother, your world must be nice to live in :D

• AliothAlioth Member UncommonPosts: 236

Originally posted by sveri

My impression is that the game wont start. The game client gives a generic error message about not having the right version of directx, physx, and/or graphics card drivers. I've tried running as administrator and as XP and Vista. This game isn't valued enough for me to debug it further.

Haha, youre joking, aren't you? It says please update your drivers, then you go ahead an run it as admin and wonder why it still doesnt work?

Lol, the irony.

Many people have had the physx problem. It's an ongoing thread in the beta forums. Also, it has absolutely nothing to do with updating your drivers or physx... Good call, though.

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

I logged in, checked the controls and slow rendering, got error and didn't get back in.

Will check again in few months.

• mm0wigginsmm0wiggins Member Posts: 270

Originally posted by Sfaliara

I logged in, checked the controls and slow rendering, got error and didn't get back in.

Will check again in few months.

lol  "will check again in a few months."   nuff said   ;-)

I'm not sure if I'm going to buy it anymore... It's not that I expect a supremely polished game on launch (because we all know it's against the law for MMO developers to release finished work, even though consoles have been doing it right for 20 years) I just can't stand the rubberbanding.   It truely kills gameplay for me.      

When Aion launched it had the same rubberbanding issue and even though I loved other aspects of the game, the travel lag and rubberbanding ultimately cancelled my account.  

I hope Earthrise takes care of that part asap.

This is not a troll, flame, or anything else worth banning me over. It is simply my pure opinion, and I have a right to share it.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

I mean, if reading and understanding is already a "debugging" process for ya, uhm, then, well, wait, dont bother, your world must be nice to live in :D

Considering I have the latest drivers, directx, and permitted them to install their physx plus having a Radeon card that doesn't use phsyx in any form...

I'm fairly sure I understand how my system is set up and whether those items should affect me.

I have also been playing computer games longer than you have been alive.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • sverisveri Member Posts: 5

Considering I have the latest drivers, directx, and permitted them to install their physx plus having a Radeon card that doesn't use phsyx in any form...

I'm fairly sure I understand how my system is set up and whether those items should affect me.

I have also been playing computer games longer than you have been alive.

Well then, you are the king ;-)

Jokes aside, what you wrote just had no correlation i have seen. I excuse myself for blaming you, but, despite that, you still made me laugh.

• CarnifexRexCarnifexRex Member Posts: 52

Well, heres my experience with Earthrise.

As others have reported, it did take a while to log in due to "overpopulation" of the beta server, which has already been beat to death. And yes, I disconnected a couple times and subsequently was unable to log in afterwards, which isnt such a big deal since the issue is the same as above.

I'll go over a few points that I think are more descriptive than "It has potential", or "Not touching it."

CONTROLS: First and foremost this is one of the top complaints. Controls are NOT intuitive. The way it works is that you have two modes, Exploration mode,which allows a slightly increased run speed and regeneration rate, and Battle Mode, which changes brings up your reticule for aiming and attacking. You switch between the two by pressing alt, and use TAB to free the cursor for selecting quest text, open hotbars, etc. Sounds simple enough in theory, however TAB never released my cursor unless I pressed the WINDOWS key to pop up the start menu (I was playing in windowed by the way, which is the recommended way to play on the Beta forums.) Having to continually press windows to select anything was a pain in the ass. But after asking in chat, I seemed to be the only one with that problem.

Secondly, when not in "Freelook" mode, the camera stays fixed, regardless of your position, and as you move your character, it remains in the same position, making moving difficult. Reminded me of Resident Evil in way. Anyhow, you get used to it, so its not a drawback, just one of those nuances that comes with learning a new game.

Third, in order to attack someone who is NOT on the opposite faction, you must press CNTRL the entire time you attack them. Even if they attack you first. So to defend yourself, you have to contort your hand for your thumb to press cntrl while remaining mobile (which with the camera issue stated above, can be a chore, until you get very used to it.) In my opinion, when someone performs a hostile action against you, they should con red, and the CNTRL to force fire should be a toggle, like the safety on a weapon.

TARGETING: I saw this compared to the likes of global agenda. This is NOT the case. The hit boxes on the mobs are exactly that, boxes, usually only situated on the upper torso of the mob. There is no particle collision effect to determine whether a hit is scored or not, so arm shots, leg shots, etc will count for nill. This is NOT a shooter. I repeat, NOT A SHOOTER. So if you were looking for that intense fast paced FPS action, look elsewhere. Its closest to SWG Post CU, without being able to lock.

WEAPONS: The flamethrower, especially having access at such a relatively low level, was admittedly cool feeling. However, none of the weapons really -felt- like weapons. The shotgun was the most "true to life" in terms of expectations of its effect, although, there is no recognizable spread. so like before, if your reticule isnt EXACTLY on the hit box, the spread does jack. Melee weapons are a pretty cool concept with "Power Gauntlets" but again, the targeting applies for melee as well, so you better be aiming exactly at the chest the entire time. Couple with the maneuverability issue, melee doesn't seem to be effective. They seemed to fire randomly even after releasing the mouse button, I dont know if this was graphical, or if it could really get you in trouble

GRAPHICS: Great. I have a high end machine and was able to enjoy the scenery, which is nice to see some effort put into in an MMO. The world reminded me of how I felt when I played Phantasy Star Online for the Dreamcast, and the music felt as if it was also inspired from the same game. Gave me a smile. Avatars are acceptable.

CUSTOMIZATION: 5 faces, 8-9 hair styles, natural hair colors. Thats it. No sliders of any kind. Everyone is the same height/weight, and you literally feel like you're just a clone. Which I guess since thats the lore, irs ok...no not really. I wasn't expecting anything like APB (which I await anxiously for its revival) but still, with all the capabilities of the graphics engine, they should make their avatars look as diverse as the rocks and trees.

GAMEPLAY: All I experienced were kill quests. Static roaming NPCs, and immobile quest givers with a "!" over there head. I like the concept of Battle Points, which amount to a currency that you can spend on skills you choose. This is what I consider to be the only hope for this game. Although the skills are expensive right now, I am told they will rebalance the cost before release. However, if you think that this will be an entirely classless game, ala darkfall, think again. Its a hybrid of classless and "you are what you wear." I'll leave it at that for you to look into the limitations of that.

For now I have to jet, but those are my initial impressions.

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by psyknx

Controls are horrible - Uninstalled.

and looks like you cannt config the controls either.. that alone tells a lot about how bad the game is beeing implemented.. control and UI are of upmost importance in an mmo where you suppoosed to spend loads and loads of hours online.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Originally posted by Vinterkrig

quests are kill quests, nothing else really

These aren't quests though, they are repeatable 'missions' for quick cash generation. Many mobs drop 'quest items' related to themselves, like a pump off a robot, or a some gonads off a flying alien thing.. that's right, gonads. The mission NPC's say something like "joe needs more pumps and the easiest source is them wild robots over yonder.. go fet me 5" - if you already killed them and have 20 pumps, you can turn in the mission 4 times in a row.

Quests are more like on the Exodus island (aka newbie island), if you do the faction joining stuff instead of going neutral by skipping the island quest lines (which isn't an obvious choice)

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Originally posted by EduardoASG

and looks like you cannt config the controls either.. that alone tells a lot about how bad the game is beeing implemented.. control and UI are of upmost importance in an mmo where you suppoosed to spend loads and loads of hours online.

Editing of controls is in the works, apparently..

Thing about a small indie team, they can only do so much as one time.. so right now they are scrambling to get the basic server and features running nicely for launch.. once that's smooth, they can work on less important features..

For instance in February they are planning on rolling out craft harvesting of some kind, as right now all crafting parts drop from mobs. Useful addition. Anyway check out their launch roadmap thing

On the subject of the controls.. if you played entropia for some time you shouldn't have much problems with the control mechanism.. same concept with the aim mode vs the mouse cursor mode.. A and W to move back and forth, left-right for strafe, mouse left-right to turn, standard FPS stuff (by default q and e are for turning.. who uses that?!). On top of that there's combat mode vs explore mode.. in combat mode you have more defense and can shoot, your cursor (either in mouselook or cursor mode) turns into a gun-sight, you move slower, etc.. in explore mode you heal, move faster, can interact with stuff. Pretty much like Mortal Online's combat vs passive modes.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by randomt

Originally posted by EduardoASG

Editing of controls is in the works, apparently..

Thing about a small indie team, they can only do so much as one time.. so right now they are scrambling to get the basic server and features running nicely for launch.. once that's smooth, they can work on less important features..

For instance in February they are planning on rolling out craft harvesting of some kind, as right now all crafting parts drop from mobs. Useful addition. Anyway check out their launch roadmap thing

On the subject of the controls.. if you played entropia for some time you shouldn't have much problems with the control mechanism.. same concept with the aim mode vs the mouse cursor mode.. A and W to move back and forth, left-right for strafe, mouse left-right to turn, standard FPS stuff (by default q and e are for turning.. who uses that?!). On top of that there's combat mode vs explore mode.. in combat mode you have more defense and can shoot, your cursor (either in mouselook or cursor mode) turns into a gun-sight, you move slower, etc.. in explore mode you heal, move faster, can interact with stuff. Pretty much like Mortal Online's combat vs passive modes.

Didn't have any problem with the controls. I remapped WASD to WQES with the lua file but otherwise it took 5 mintues to get used to. I actually really liked the ability to aim without movign the camera to shoot far away. Feel like that will be helpful with lag in large fights.

To OP's broad question, I don't have a long list of impressions as I've only played a couple hours. I was reading all day about server crash issues, but was finally able (due to RL) to log in last night and play for a while with no crashes.

My FPS was a bit low and the devs have discussed the reasons and expected fixes for this in the forum.

Graphics were nice. Details and environmental effects were shiny.

Tutorial was standard fare, showing you different types of combat, how to equip items, controls, teleporters.

One detail that had me laughing, which I haven't seen in a while, was when you killed something, you could get the body caught on your leg and drag it unltil you backed up, or jumped away from the corpse.

More tonight.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261

The game runs like shit, could be my crappy computer.  Also the game keeps crashing and then won't let you back onto the one server they have up because of  "population issues" or so the messages tell me.

I liked the music and atmosphere, for what little I saw of it, kind of gave me the same feeling as I got when I first played AO a hundred years ago.

I'm going to give it another shot today, I hate to judge a game because it's a broken piece of shit in beta. I'd like to see it working before I call it a piece of shit.

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

A VW Beetle car is a piece of shit, until the F1 ferrari mechanics get onto it and change the engine and it is sent off to get new bodywork, wheels and chassis and everything is improved to the point it is a Ferrari F355...

..So, any car has the potential to be a Ferrari, so i will just buy any car :)

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

Originally posted by Yalexy

It amazes me, how negative you people are.

The game is actually playable rather good compared to DF for example.

Huh?? The only thing better than DF right now in Earhrise is the character models. And I am liking Earthrise, but to say its better, more stable or anything over DF (and I am not playing DF, takes to long to progress for me right now) Just seems amiss to me.

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

My one BIG issue with Earthrise is that 90% of the game world is barren / empty of any kind of mobs. I thought DF was bad when it released but Earthrise litterly is missing 90% of its mobs when you travel off the beaten path or away from any contact with players.

For a game that is very close to releasing this is a HUGE issue! Even more so when the servers can barely stay up and running with the number of players and low mob density that is currently in the game. What going to happen when the cram the world with mobs and theres 10x as many players?

Earthrise really has the potential to be a great game and there are some amazing spots to see out in the game world. But all the amazing artwork is for naught if there is nothing to kill out there besides the other random player that also so happened to travel 2 hours out of there way to some random area of the map.

• CarnifexRexCarnifexRex Member Posts: 52

Thomas,

They've said on the forums they are in the process of adding mods to low populated areas, and even asked for suggestions of places from the testers. One thing I can honestly say is that the Devs actively listened to their testers. I'm just going to treat this game like wine, let it age a bit.

Oh yeah, and its been beaten to death by now, but the server for beta is not the same server they will be using for relase. Which is supposedly, the top provider for MMO's (from what the devs say)

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Vegetto
    A VW Beetle car is a piece of shit, until the F1 ferrari mechanics get onto it and change the engine and it is sent off to get new bodywork, wheels and chassis and everything is improved to the point it is a Ferrari F355.....So, any car has the potential to be a Ferrari, so i will just buy any car :)

Are you talking the new Beetle, or the old Bugs?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• StyijStyij Member Posts: 186

Pray barren world and let loose the dogs of lagtastic!!!! Click mouse to shot....next frame....you have died. lmao!!!!

Originally posted by lizardbones

A VW Beetle car is a piece of shit, until the F1 ferrari mechanics get onto it and change the engine and it is sent off to get new bodywork, wheels and chassis and everything is improved to the point it is a Ferrari F355...

POS? My superbeetle was bullet proof. You could drive it off a cliff, roll it over onto its wheels and drive away. One of the best cars an ex-beach bum ever owned. I had a quarter inch of beach sand in it and that cool SoCal sunroof! I miss that little tank.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Styij

POS? My superbeetle was bullet proof. You could drive it off a cliff, roll it over onto its wheels and drive away. One of the best cars an ex-beach bum ever owned. I had a quarter inch of beach sand in it and that cool SoCal sunroof! I miss that little tank.

I took mine up and down a 40 foot hill climb repeatedly. I was airborn for most of the trip down. It would have all turned out OK except there was a curb just past the top of the hill. 30 mph + concrete curb = flat tires and bent front axle. I did drive it for many years after that (once I replaced the axle), but I stopped the 4wd shenanigans.

As far as mmorpg goes...there are 0 Ferraris currently in production. Zippo. None.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

I took mine up and down a 40 foot hill climb repeatedly. I was airborn for most of the trip down. It would have all turned out OK except there was a curb just past the top of the hill. 30 mph + concrete curb = flat tires and bent front axle. I did drive it for many years after that (once I replaced the axle), but I stopped the 4wd shenanigans.

As far as mmorpg goes...there are 0 Ferraris currently in production. Zippo. None.

Here is a multiplayer ferrari http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enU5qZLmORA

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by Quicksand

Originally posted by Yalexy
    It amazes me, how negative you people are.
    The game is actually playable rather good compared to DF for example.
    Huh?? The only thing better than DF right now in Earhrise is the character models. And I am liking Earthrise, but to say its better, more stable or anything over DF (and I am not playing DF, takes to long to progress for me right now) Just seems amiss to me.

I was comparing it to DF-beta two weeks before release ofc...

When I had that beetle in the early 90's you could rebuild the entire front end for about a $100 with just basic tools and eyeball the toe and tie of the wheels with a piece of string. Those were the days.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by bblackwood

Thomas,

They've said on the forums they are in the process of adding mods to low populated areas, and even asked for suggestions of places from the testers. One thing I can honestly say is that the Devs actively listened to their testers. I'm just going to treat this game like wine, let it age a bit.

Oh yeah, and its been beaten to death by now, but the server for beta is not the same server they will be using for relase. Which is supposedly, the top provider for MMO's (from what the devs say)

I hope so is. The game has a great chance to be really good.  But if there is one thing I have learned over 11+ years of playing MMO's and that is that Developers will say anything at the last min to try and get you to buy the game. Non of them have ever delievered on last min promises. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

What I see from reading this thread is that another under-funded indy dev is about to launch in order to try and bring in enough revenue to keep the doors open.  While the issues being mentioned aren't unexpected its due to the fact they claim to be launching soon which is causing all the heartburn.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file