Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide: First Render Displayed

2»

Comments

• toljartoljar Member UncommonPosts: 227

It almost looks like they are going for some war torn story line based on the beat up look of the tank.

Now if they can keep all 3 factions and add new weapons and armor that would be amazing. 

The issue I see is Sony tries to add stuff in they think we will like (BFR) and end up overdoing it. If they can remember this is a FPS game they will do just fine but once they turn it into a EQ game it will all fall apart again.

Keep in mind everyone the promises of new armor (Such as the Infil suit that was supposed to be resistant to plasma but take more dammage from frag shots) that they kept promising and not delivering on. If they can keep the promises down and the content rolling then they might have a great game on their hands.

Gaming community: IRONFIST
    New World: Lilith - US East
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Burning Legion> Alliance(We transferred to Illidan)
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Illidan> Horde
    SWOTR: IRONFIST <Satele Shan> Empire/Republic

• IsaakIsaak Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by bobfish

Originally posted by apocalance

So now that the battlefield games have a type of leveling and character persistence, I wonder what a game like planetside has to offer for a monthly fee, where the bf type of games don't have a monthly fee. 

A massive seamless world with hundreds of players in one area at the same time?

This is likely just a revamp of PS rather than a whole new game, given how little they've said and how soon it is supposed to be released.

Mind you, the original Planetside was possibly the best multiplayer FPS experience I've had to date.

One word...vehicles.  

Black ops is fun, and you "can" get a gunner seat in a helicopter if you have the kill streak set and are good enough. BUt that lasts about 30 seconds or so.  Why can't you pilot jets/helicopters in Black Ops? maps are too small.

Battlefield 2 is what replaced Planetside for me, but mostly due to physics. PS was built a LONG time ago and the physics were pretty bad.  I hope the new PS will have a bit more realistic damage...like a call of duty/battlefield series where a headshot is a one shot kill...it takes only 3 or 4 good hits to take out a soldier. only a few good hits with anti tank weapons to take out tanks (with balancing and all that crap of course).

Even with BF2's big maps and piloting of various ships, it was still lacking in the scale of PS. entire continents to battle over and such.  In its hayday, continents were locked because they were so full. 

The base defense battles were nothing less than EPIC. ANTS to refill base resources (if it ran out, you couldn't build more tanks,etc). Engineers repair automated turrets...or you could jump in the turret and fire at your own target (much higher fire rate if you were behind the trigger).

Currently not playing any MMOrpg --
    Lvl 80 paladin WoW

• serpentisserpentis Member Posts: 17

I loved PS, and hope this one is as good or even better than the first.   I was in it from beta, up until about a year and a half ago...  didn't see too many hackers, though, there were a couple back then. 

I have been waiting for a new PlanetSide, it was the best thing since sliced bread when it hit the shelves. 

Crossing my fingers!!!

• ShattenShatten Member UncommonPosts: 40

the new vanguard model still has 150mm cannon  and two  20mm recoilless cannon, still a two man.  they should at least add few guns on lodestar to protect itself from being a free kill.

• b0bbyZb0bbyZ Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by toljar

It almost looks like they are going for some war torn story line based on the beat up look of the tank.

A SECOND BENDING?! That's perfect!

• spudmonkeyspudmonkey Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Since old Smedley is directly involved I wouldn't hold my breath for this one...

Expect levels, classes, "immersive storylines" and, ofc, microtransactions and all in a wonderful 2-faction good vs evil world with instanced battlegrounds that "ensure fairness".

Sadly, this is all he and his kind seem to be able to grasp regarding game design.

I might be wrong tho, who knows? But I'm not holding my breath by a long shot.

Ok, this comment tells me that you Never played the first game, the first game had levels, no classes, no storyline whatsoever, and THREE factions with no instancing.

So yeah, I doubt anything you said is right

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by spudmonkey

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Since old Smedley is directly involved I wouldn't hold my breath for this one...

Expect levels, classes, "immersive storylines" and, ofc, microtransactions and all in a wonderful 2-faction good vs evil world with instanced battlegrounds that "ensure fairness".

Sadly, this is all he and his kind seem to be able to grasp regarding game design.

I might be wrong tho, who knows? But I'm not holding my breath by a long shot.

Ok, this comment tells me that you Never played the first game, the first game had levels, no classes, no storyline whatsoever, and THREE factions with no instancing.

So yeah, I doubt anything you said is right

No, I didn't play Planetside tho I respect it immensely since I kinda flatter myself I can recognize conceptually good game design when I see one. And yes, I know that it's seamless, instance-less open world PvP environment with strategic elements - a great attempt at making a perpetual warfare virtual world. Frankly I'm sad I didn't find the time to experience it.

On the other hand, If you think a sequel is bound to be good because of the prequel then I must really burst your bubble and pity you for a marketing tool you are. What do EQ1 and EQ2 have in common, game-mechanic wise? Um.... NOTHING. The problem is that Smed and suits like him infesting all the bloated game "corps" do not understand games - they understand "assets". They see a WoW "asset" and graft it to their Star Wars IP "asset" and think this will make it twice as good . EA / GW (since Priest went awol) thought the same with WAR... and we know how it turned out.. Those people have NO understanding whatsoever of what made those original games great (SWG-pre CU and DAoC) and in their ignorance and arrogance retort to idiotic copying and grafting of whatever are the "in" design elements right now. They don't know and don't care - they despise "gamers" for sheep to shear and make denigrating jokes about them while they're golfing in Bahamas and contemplating their third ferraris. Trust me on this one - they're the "producers" - and I've been in a similar business for long enough to know the type. That movie which is your movie that changed your life is nothing to them - they laugh at you for being so dumb to fall for that "crap" (which they simply cannot understand - cannot understand the intristic worth of it, being the suits that they are) while they screw whores on yachts with your money. When they run out of coke and whore money they make a "sequel" by collecting the "assets" which are comprised of trendy actors and familiar story elements (which are known as the IP in game world) and selling it to fans who are so in love with the first movie they would eat dog excrement if it had the magic name (TM) written on it with a pointy stick. With Smed at the helm I wont' be surprised if Planetside Next turns out to be a CoD/Farmville hybrid with some original Planetside background hideously bloated into a phased movie storyline ala SWTOR.

I'm not damning this game. As I said "I might be wrong". However a 3D model of a tank tweeted by a suit is hardly anything to make my ticker tock. Unless I hear some real game talk I won't raise my temperature above absolute zero. IMO a great IP or a prequel game is more likely to be a guarantee of a massive disappointment rather than a pleasant surprise as have the past 5+ years of mmos and 50+ years of hollywood movies proven. In short, just because it's "batman" it doesn't mean it's going to be a great movie.

• bumfmanbumfman Member Posts: 276

Originally posted by b0bbyZ

Hackers only really came in to ruin it when the free trials popped up, there weren't TOO many before that, it was mostly just people who are garbage at FPS games who couldn't understand why they kept getting slaughtered. I've gotten numerous aim-bot accusations while using a projectile weapon. It was an MMOFPS(one of the first),  the beginning of the game was filled with people who either came from playing games like UT, Quake, etc. or people who came from playing D&D growing up and came from EQ. People were way too quick to call "hax" in that game(even for an FPS), they couldn't accept that they spent all this time leveling up to br20 and had rexo/ha and then an agile pulsar just rolled over them because they understood that, you know, a strafing target is a little bit harder to shoot then a guy running right at you in a straight line, something I still see to this day when I get the urge to sub for amonth every once in a while.

Anyways, I'm willing to bet they will try too hard to make everyone happy and end up disappointing them all. Sure, no BFRS, but I bet they'll dumb down the ground combat even more.

The type of hacks i witnessed were blatant, like a flying tank that appeared in the distance, then flew down and ran me over. I am not talking about a hover tank. Same with 2 seater jeeps that I would shoot a rocket at, then they dissapear and fly at me to kill. If it wasnt so aggrivating it would have probably been funny, less the subscription.

Well, heres to hoping they make it better and not wreck the mechanics too bad.

Work hard Play Harder