Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to buy a gaming mouse but have no idea what to get.

2»

Comments

• toolaktoolak Member UncommonPosts: 154

Razer naga... end of discussion

5 buttons + 1-12 number keys + high speed adjustable scroll rate

use this with a belkin n52te and only go to my g15 to type text or hit a macro button

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Catamount

Originally posted by lizardbones
    Has anyone tried the Logitech G700? It doesn't have nearly as many buttons as the Razer Naga, but the buttons it does have seem to be setup pretty well.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/mice-keyboard-combos/devices/7244

I have been looking at the Rat7 for awhile too. It looks like just the kind of mouse I'd like, but it's hard to justify when I have four or five different razer mice laying around.

*edit* There's also a Logitech G13 Gamepad which looks pretty nice too (plus it's a Logitech).

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/5123

Unless the idea is to have mountains of buttons to press for MMOs (macros can simply be kept on one's keyboard, as with my Sidewinder X4), the RAT 7 and the Logitech G500/G700 are probably the best mice on the market right now.
    The RAT 7 has customizability going for it if you're willing to take the time to set it up, while those particular Logitech mice have excellent sensors, and the G700s dual wired/wireless ability is nice (though you lose the G500s customizable weights).

There's a lot more to mice than how many buttons one can cram on.

I'm pretty sure when you talk to mouse aficionados more betters is better.

The only exception to this rule is the WoW Mouse from Steele Series. They had awesome buttons for your pointer, middle and ring fingers, but the thumb buttons were positioned poorly and were too sensitive. Then there was the issue where your number one mouse button wouldn't click. Add a pinky button that was barely usable and you have possibly the worst mouse in the world.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

I actually went with Razer for my headset. The Carcharias is really rather nice, and didn't break the bank at $55

That's the one I just picked up. Looks good. I'm not down with spending more than 100 bucks on shit like mice, keyboards and headsets. All the stuff I bought were under the 70 buck mark each so I'm happy.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

I use a microsoft sidewinder.. But then again i bought it about 2-3years ago so i'am sure its "old news" now.. But its got a lot of things i like, i can set auto run to my mouse, i can change the weight of my mouse by placeing different .5-gram waits inside of this little compartment.. It really is a good mouse if you're looking to customize it to you're playing style.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• JoarnajJoarnaj Member Posts: 258

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Lol. You guys turned me onto that Razer stuff. I just ordered the Naga, the Norstromo and a new headset. The goddess will be upset.

Congrats! That sounds like a setup you'll have fun with.

Here is a link to my Nostromo setup. I demonstrate it in WoW but I've actually used the same setup for every game I've played with the exception of Atlantica Online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBbQ8OC2FfY

Good luck with the goddess!! I have one of my own so I know how it goes.  ;)

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from Apprentice to full 5 star Elite in under 2 months. I was pleasantly surprised again when I went from Elite to just barely Hardcore in 2 weeks. Apprentice, here I come!

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

Has anyone tried the Logitech G700? It doesn't have nearly as many buttons as the Razer Naga, but the buttons it does have seem to be setup pretty well.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/mice-keyboard-combos/devices/7244

I have been looking at the Rat7 for awhile too. It looks like just the kind of mouse I'd like, but it's hard to justify when I have four or five different razer mice laying around.

*edit* There's also a Logitech G13 Gamepad which looks pretty nice too (plus it's a Logitech).

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/5123

Unless the idea is to have mountains of buttons to press for MMOs (macros can simply be kept on one's keyboard, as with my Sidewinder X4), the RAT 7 and the Logitech G500/G700 are probably the best mice on the market right now.

The RAT 7 has customizability going for it if you're willing to take the time to set it up, while those particular Logitech mice have excellent sensors, and the G700s dual wired/wireless ability is nice (though you lose the G500s customizable weights).

There's a lot more to mice than how many buttons one can cram on.

I'm pretty sure when you talk to mouse aficionados more betters is better.

The only exception to this rule is the WoW Mouse from Steele Series. They had awesome buttons for your pointer, middle and ring fingers, but the thumb buttons were positioned poorly and were too sensitive. Then there was the issue where your number one mouse button wouldn't click. Add a pinky button that was barely usable and you have possibly the worst mouse in the world.

The problem is that the Razer Naga is not a one-size-fits-all solution, and looses out in many areas to other mice.

For general ergonomics, the RAT 7 is essentially impossible to beat, due to the ability to literally make the mouse any shape you want, and as far as out-of-the-box ergonomics go, I've seldom read any reviews of the G700 that don't essentially state that it's the best mouse on the market.

As I said before, sensors are also important. The G500/G700 will literally track on anything under the sun, and extraordinarily accurately. Even if intensive gameplay has you accidently lifting the mouse off the pad from time to time, as I hear complaints of often, it keeps tracking (the RAT 7 actually does less well in difficult tracking situations).

"More" may always be better, but there's a lot to have "more" of than just brute force buttons. For MMOs, the intended audience of the Naga, it's a fantastic mouse, but MMO gameplay is generally slower paced anyways, so keyboards can serve macro needs just fine. That said, for shooters, I wouldn't use the Naga over the RAT 7 OR the G500/G700, not in a million years, and believe me, shooter jockeys are a LOT more pickey about mice than MMO players (often down to buying fancy pads in the case of many of the more tournament-oriented players I know).

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

I actually went with Razer for my headset. The Carcharias is really rather nice, and didn't break the bank at $55

That's the one I just picked up. Looks good. I'm not down with spending more than 100 bucks on shit like mice, keyboards and headsets. All the stuff I bought were under the 70 buck mark each so I'm happy.

The Carcharias hits all the basic points correctly; fit/comfort, clarity of the mic, good containment of the sound from the head phones, long chord (the chord is seriously like 10ft long) are all top notch.

What's really good though is that the sound is actually quote impressive for a headset at this price point. They're extremely clear, and relatively well balanced. Sure, the highs are a little exaggerated, but you want that in gaming, as it tends to bring out the most game-relevant sounds, and if you wanted to double them up for movie/music duty, most media players can correct the slight higher frequency emphasis with their EQ settings. They aren't quite up to the HD280 Pro set we have here, but I wouldn't expect them to be for the price you pay, and I honestly haven't heard much better from a closed-ear circumaural headset in the $50-$70 range than the Carcharias.

All in all, I think you'll be extremely pleased with them.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

The Carcharias hits all the basic points correctly; fit/comfort, clarity of the mic, good containment of the sound from the head phones, long chord (the chord is seriously like 10ft long) are all top notch.

What's really good though is that the sound is actually quote impressive for a headset at this price point. They're extremely clear, and relatively well balanced. Sure, the highs are a little exaggerated, but you want that in gaming, as it tends to bring out the most game-relevant sounds, and if you wanted to double them up for movie/music duty, most media players can correct the slight higher frequency emphasis with their EQ settings. They aren't quite up to the HD280 Pro set we have here, but I wouldn't expect them to be for the price you pay, and I honestly haven't heard much better from a closed-ear circumaural headset in the $50-$70 range than the Carcharias.

Honestly I've never really been into all these gaming gadgets. Outside of getting a decent gaming rig I just bought generic keyboards and mice due to me going through them so fast. I've been gaming on the road with my Mx11 but mostly just use a Microsoft laser mouse, the laptops keyboard and some ratty office headset I picked up at walmart when we were on the road near jersey. It's going to be nice to actually have a setup.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Honestly I've never really been into all these gaming gadgets. Outside of getting a decent gaming rig I just bought generic keyboards and mice due to me going through them so fast. I've been gaming on the road with my Mx11 but mostly just use a Microsoft laser mouse, the laptops keyboard and some ratty office headset I picked up at walmart when we were on the road near jersey. It's going to be nice to actually have a setup.

Oh boy. I hope it doesn't hit you like it hit me. All this stuff is just so cool. I've spent waaaay more money on this stuff that I have ever really needed to. Mice with lights, trackballs, some mouse with 6 degrees of movement input (it's not as cool as it sounds) and finally the basic but super ergonomic Razer brand mice. It is true that the Naga is not a one size fits all solution, but for the people it fits, it fits incredibly well. They also use a fairly complex brain inside the mice, so what it does now is not everything that it will do in the future.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• tavoctavoc Member UncommonPosts: 257

Well, im not going to read this entire post, but ill say my personal preferd setup

G15 keyboard (oldschool)

logitch g500 mouse (i cant get enough of it, perfict fit, able to change the weight to my pref, and the extra buttons make it the perfect mouse for me, i use my mouse for all extra movement.. strafe being one which i use my tilt wheel, when playing aion i used the thumb buttons for fly up/ fly down, and the rest of the keys go to extra movement or important twich skills depending on the game)

Turtle beach earforce x11 headset, thoe im looking to upgrade to one of their 7.1 digital surround sound headsets

• TaristarTaristar Member UncommonPosts: 34

Currently using a Wolfking Warrior gaming keyboard and a Logitech MX518, might look into upgrading the mouse. The Wolfking Warrior gives you the buttons you need for an FPS or MMO without having to move your hands all over the place.

Also the Wolfking Warrior does not require any drivers so it will work with any OS or console that will take input from a USB keyboard. I work with windows and linux and have gaming consoles as well and I prefer things that I can use with all of them without worrying about drivers or whatnot.

• lorechaserlorechaser Member Posts: 124

I like the look of the naga and the price is good. My issue is all those tiny buttons and my big ass hands having trouble hitting them comfortably. Anyone have the naga and semi-large hands wanna give me some feedback on how easy those buttons are to hit? I don't want hand cramps while playing.

I have large, but not freakishly large, hands, and the Naga works great for me.  Best Buy typically has them out on the shelf to play with, so you can monkey around with it for a little bit....

Who am I?
    @Lorechaser on CoH
    Badjuju, Splinterhoof, Plainsrunner on WoW (Moonrunner)
    Shyy'rissk on SWG (Flurry)
    ClockworkSoldier, HE Pierce, Letnev on Planetside
    Gyshe, Crucible, Terrakal on DDO
    And many more.