Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIFT Beta then Quit??

12346»

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Astraeis

Originally posted by Totec

Originally posted by Totec

...Rift developers have stated time and again that they have spend countless hours providing for content you wont find by following the usual quest hubs. If you never leave the rails of the ride, then you simply will not know about any of it.

Been following the game for quite a while and I do not recognize this as something they said, which is a good thing, because it would be a lie.

I think that statement is geared  towards Rifts, World PvP, Artifact collecting, professions, etc...  The alternatives to just grinding quests. 

Honestly, I think that they do this pretty well. The last beta I did 1-13ish pure questing and then did rifts, dailies, and artifact quests to get up to 20. You don't necessarily need to do all the quests. I believe the "going off the rails" comments are talking about not necessarily needing to do every quest like some other MMO's would have you do.

It is a good game. But it does not feel like an mmorpg. It is very difficult to get off the tracks and explore, because there is not that much to explore. Crafting is overly simplistic and imo not finished yet. PvP and doing dungeons is probably the best part of the game. The solo content is boring and feels like a quest grind.

For release it will do. I am curious what direction this game will take after release though. They might do great things, they need to do great things and show more inspiration than they have shown thusfar by delivering something that works and is great fun playing, but not enough to keep playing.

That's your opinion...

I love the quests! I really feel like a hero with the quest texts npc background, and some of the quests being moderately difficult adds a refreshing breeze to my long run of MMO grind fest.

I don't think it's difficult to get "off the rails" at all... during beta I was running into rifts left and right... I really think you have to purposely stay on the rails in a game like Rift. 

Personally an MMORPG should be focused on the character, and being able to do whatever they want. That's why it's a Role Playing Game. I think Rift achieves this with style because you can choose to go for Rifts, you can choose to PvP, you can choose to go looking for artifacts. I'm not sure what you expect in a role playing game, but I look for immersion and being able to choose how I want to spend my time... Rift offers just that.  

Good to hear that. And as long as you feel that way this is your game.

Personally I am just hopeful about what this game might become. Thusfar this game looks very promising, but I do understand what Vesavius is saying. And he is not completely wrong. This game has some serious shortcomings in the department that interests him the most.

In contrast to your claim the game is severely lacking in the department of immersion. I don't know whether the game needs more fluff or depth or whatever, but I see it trying to compensate by sending waves of invasions after the beta testers. In you case the attempt to cover up its short-comings is succesful. In my case, I have been playing this game for some time now and I see its shortcomings.

I just hope the devs see them too and they decide to address this problem in the future. If not, Rift will remain a hack and slash experience in mmo format. Because, no matter what you do the rifts will keep coming. It makes no difference how many footholds you clear. Your efforts do not matter. You have no impact on the world. You do not matter. Not that it bothers me that much, but the world is a constant war front and offers little or nothing to care about. That is a problem, methinks.

Anyway, I am definitely going to buy and play this game at least for 6 months before I will decide what to do next.

Exactly. I think a lot of people frothing for the game have either played for maybe 1 beta (the game looks great for a few days- it's shiny new, pretty, and it works) or only want a 'holding' game to last them for a month or two (which is valid).

It's pretty much why I think Rift will do VERY well with box sales for the first 3 months. If Trion havent got some fluff/ content to throw in it by them it will definitely struggle and we will start to see a backlash here and other places imo.

• TwystedWizTwystedWiz Member UncommonPosts: 175

Originally posted by ruonim

Originally posted by cybrinsanity

Just curious but how it seems Trion is being very liberal with Beta Keys, Are there any worries of playing the game and getting the full experience through beta then not wanting to do it again for release?? just seems to me that once everyone has played the beta events all the way through, they wont want to return for release?? no?? curious what everyone else thinks about this?! Post your thoughts!!

5 weeks to release = game went gold. Now only minor bug fixes can get throu.

this version = retail version.

Linkage to announcement game has gone gold?

This version = closed beta version.  There are still things being added and more changes afoot (racials for example).

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by TwystedWiz

Originally posted by ruonim

Just curious but how it seems Trion is being very liberal with Beta Keys, Are there any worries of playing the game and getting the full experience through beta then not wanting to do it again for release?? just seems to me that once everyone has played the beta events all the way through, they wont want to return for release?? no?? curious what everyone else thinks about this?! Post your thoughts!!

5 weeks to release = game went gold. Now only minor bug fixes can get throu.

this version = retail version.

Linkage to announcement game has gone gold?

This version = closed beta version.  There are still things being added and more changes afoot (racials for example).

you still think this is a closed beta? o.0

• NerdQuotesNerdQuotes Member Posts: 16

Always nice to see people who don't even care about the game get into beta, they need to do some kind of survey before they let people in!

• RiftsoldierRiftsoldier Member Posts: 112

Originally posted by NerdQuotes

Always nice to see people who don't even care about the game get into beta, they need to do some kind of survey before they let people in!

The more people they let in, the less people can talk smack about the game if it's good.

I have been biting my tounge reading articles on here earlier on in the first 3 betas because I wasn't in the beta, but now I can honestly say that this game rocks and is the basically the MMO offspring of several of my favorite MMO's to date.

Another thing that makes me happy is seeing everything first hand and being able to analize it myself. I now know for sure that I will be upgrading my rig around March 15th to prepare for this great game. So yes...there are people that don't give a flying fruit about this game that got a beta invite and seem to just be bottom dwellers and knuckle heads with nothing better to do in life then try out a game they know they are already burned out on just so they can spout nonsense. But for every one of them there are 20 of us that want in the game and see what it offers and are cool with it.

• BoudewijnsBoudewijns Member UncommonPosts: 162

me i played the game for about 2-3 hours and to much similarities to wow i do mean alot from wow is in rift so i removed it from pc bc i know where this game is going to

• wardog250wardog250 Member Posts: 249

Originally posted by NerdQuotes

Oh, I see.  Let's be fair then, they shouldn't allow people into the game who are in love with it as well.  During a beta test many problems will arise that need to be reported by the testers to help stabilize the game.  How can the developers expect someone to identify a problem if the testers are so love drunk over it the product, that they can't find anything wrong?

That right there has caused more failed launches in the past, outside of just bad programming on the devs part.

Just because someone doesn't praise a game like it's Jesus Online doesn't mean they don't deserve to test it, with scrutiny, as they should be doing.

If I invested in a car and everyone told me it was perfect, I'd be a little pissed if it rolled off the lot and exploded.  When it comes to beta testing, do the job objectively or GTFO.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo Galilei

• cybrinsanitycybrinsanity Member Posts: 106

Wow so much anger!!

• DaitenguDaitengu Member Posts: 442

Wow so much anger!!

I'd say to's a fair reason to be angry. I would rather have objective people beta testing over fanatics that would turn a blind eye to problems instead of report it.

It's the reason console games are beta tested by programmers, and professional testers, not fans that don't even know what to look or or how to test. Just playing the beta is not testing beyond stress test. Trying to find exploits, break the game, then report the problem and how to duplicate it, are what testers are suppos to do.

Gawking at the nice scenery does nothing if toxic waste is a foot below your feet.  Of course these fanatics are probably the same fools that don't get a house inspected when they buy it, then cry when they find out there's toxic mold behind the drywall.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Seems so.  My doomsaying proved correct, Rift is not sustaining, or at least won't be for much longer.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

Originally posted by Dragim

Seems so.  My doomsaying proved correct, Rift is not sustaining, or at least won't be for much longer.

thread necro!!!

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

Not sure what reports you've been reading. They seem to be doing ok, or even slightly above expected. This necro is silly on many levels as I'm sure you realize.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Originally posted by Tailz2k7

thread necro!!!

Hehe, I just was thinking about it randomly as I browsed the site.

I am sure rift is still doing O.K., but I just thought it was fun to bring back a thread that spoke of RIFT before it released and to read what people had to say about it then.

Just get tired of all the over-hyping from MMO-hungry gamers thinking that (said game) will be the next big thing, when in all reality when you look at what the game is offering, it doesn't really seem like it will sustain like people hope it will.

Here's to TOR...I need to get in a thread that is over-hyping it, make a bookmark of it, then "ressurect it" 2 months after TOR comes out.

Hehe :P

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

This discussion has been closed.