Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIFT Beta then Quit??

Comments

• King_KumquatKing_Kumquat Member Posts: 492

Originally posted by cybrinsanity

Just curious but how it seems Trion is being very liberal with Beta Keys, Are there any worries of playing the game and getting the full experience through beta then not wanting to do it again for release?? just seems to me that once everyone has played the beta events all the way through, they wont want to return for release?? no?? curious what everyone else thinks about this?! Post your thoughts!!

This is what happened for the King.

I played through their tutorial liner intro quests. I played around with their kill boards over yonder where the big blue blotch is. Helped closed some big rifts, lil' rifts, and an invasion. Went into a liner instance. Then wasn't dazzled at their battleground style pvp.

The class system is it's strongest 'keeper' system.

Really RIFT should just be named "SOULS". The rift system is lack luster in comparison.

Will develop an original MMORPG title for money.
  • watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by vesavius

Originally posted by watchawatcha

Keep your expectations low and you'll probably enjoy the game. 

Good lord, what kind of approach is that to life?

Keep your expectations low..? lol what?

No, I have high expectations of any game that asks for my money and time, and I demand that the devs raise their game to meet them. Thats their job.

Sure, by taking this route you will dissapointed more in the short term, but in the long term we will actually get better games, rather then the turgid recycled linear snoozefest that is Rift.

Low expectations will only, in the end, get you bad games.

Love how you didn't quote me completely, considering the rest of what I said explained myself.  Many in the MMO community are so convinced that their idea of a great MMO is the right one, continue to post repeatedly in hopes of convincing others. 

Even though any research done on this game would of shown that it's set up like a traditional themepark, people jumped in and said "OMG it's a traditional themepark.  I expected the most amazing all out rediculous sandbox PvP experience I have ever had in my life." 

What is that exactly?  What one person likes isn't what another likes.  So when their expectations aren't immediately met they start looking for faults with the game, then pretty soon that's all they see.  Why?  Because it's not the game they want to play.  My proof is that a LARGE majority of people who have problems with this game only played a few hours or if you're that crack Massively reviewer...1 hour.  They proceeded to /shrug and say the game has nothing new.  When challenged on that topic, they went another direction and talked about other games and down-played the dynamic content.  Whatever they could come up with to justify that the game is not good, they'd throw out there. 

Keep expectations low is another way of me saying keep an open mind.  Set the bar at base foundation of what you expect MMOs to be and play the game.  It's that type of mindset that allows you to see what Rift is all about.  Many MMO gamers are jaded and have formed unrealistic expectations due to hype from games that technically don't exist.  They are still in development.  There's not even an Alpha out as far as we know for GW2 and supposedly it's the most amazing MMO ever.  Proof of this?  A powerpoint presentation with slides and a few hours of demo footage from Conventions.  The high expectations come from this.  Hype built by another company that has no proof if they're going to be able to deliver everything they said.  You remember the PS2?  Sony killed Dreamcast by lying to gamers in Japan by over promising what the PS2 can do to damage Dreamcast sales.  That's why Sega as a console maker died.  Sony marketing.  The flipside to that is Dreamcast did amazing in sales in the U.S., but wasn't enough to compensate for the damage done overseas.

Keep your expectations low are indeed words to live by, when talking about MMOs.  It makes you happier person in the end and less prone to trolling forums on a game you don't even like.  This sense of entitlement people have nowadays...it's sad.  If you don't like a game, then don't play it.  That simple.  I don't need to play Rift.  I play it because it's fun and has really impressed me.  If it was indeed a WoW clone, it would have just met my expectations (that being a low one.)  If it would have failed my expectations, then we would be talking about FF14.

You are not entitled to have a game deliver everything you hope for.  A game company does not work for you. 

The game itself is a product.  If you like a product, buy it.  If not, don't.  The product they make is up to them, not you.  See what they have to offer and judge for yourself if 50 or 60 bucks entry fee and 10 bucks a month is worth playing this game.  You vote with your dollar.  Companies try to keep the majority of people happy because that equals more dollars.  That's called running a business and living in the real world. 

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

Keep your expectations low and you'll probably enjoy the game. 

Good lord, what kind of approach is that to life?

Keep your expectations low..? lol what?

No, I have high expectations of any game that asks for my money and time, and I demand that the devs raise their game to meet them. Thats their job.

Sure, by taking this route you will dissapointed more in the short term, but in the long term we will actually get better games, rather then the turgid recycled linear snoozefest that is Rift.

Low expectations will only, in the end, get you bad games.

Love how you didn't quote me completely, considering the rest of what I said explained myself.  Many in the MMO community are so convinced that their idea of a great MMO is the right one, continue to post repeatedly in hopes of convincing others. 

Even though any research done on this game would of shown that it's set up like a traditional themepark, people jumped in and said "OMG it's a traditional themepark.  I expected the most amazing all out rediculous sandbox PvP experience I have ever had in my life." 

What is that exactly?  What one person likes isn't what another likes.  So when their expectations aren't immediately met they start looking for faults with the game, then pretty soon that's all they see.  Why?  Because it's not the game they want to play.  My proof is that a LARGE majority of people who have problems with this game only played a few hours or if you're that crack Massively reviewer...1 hour.  They proceeded to /shrug and say the game has nothing new.  When challenged on that topic, they went another direction and talked about other games and down-played the dynamic content.  Whatever they could come up with to justify that the game is not good, they'd throw out there. 

Keep expectations low is another way of me saying keep an open mind.  Set the bar at base foundation of what you expect MMOs to be and play the game.  It's that type of mindset that allows you to see what Rift is all about.  Many MMO gamers are jaded and have formed unrealistic expectations due to hype from games that technically don't exist.  They are still in development.  There's not even an Alpha out as far as we know for GW2 and supposedly it's the most amazing MMO ever.  Proof of this?  A powerpoint presentation with slides and a few hours of demo footage from Conventions.  The high expectations come from this.  Hype built by another company that has no proof if they're going to be able to deliver everything they said.  You remember the PS2?  Sony killed Dreamcast by lying to gamers in Japan by over promising what the PS2 can do to damage Dreamcast sales.  That's why Sega as a console maker died.  Sony marketing.  The flipside to that is Dreamcast did amazing in sales in the U.S., but wasn't enough to compensate for the damage done overseas.

Keep your expectations low are indeed words to live by, when talking about MMOs.  It makes you happier person in the end and less prone to trolling forums on a game you don't even like.  This sense of entitlement people have nowadays...it's sad.  If you don't like a game, then don't play it.  That simple.  I don't need to play Rift.  I play it because it's fun and has really impressed me.  If it was indeed a WoW clone, it would have just met my expectations (that being a low one.)  If it would have failed my expectations, then we would be talking about FF14.

You are not entitled to have a game deliver everything you hope for.  A game company does not work for you. 

The game itself is a product.  If you like a product, buy it.  If not, don't.  The product they make is up to them, not you.  See what they have to offer and judge for yourself if 50 or 60 bucks entry fee and 10 bucks a month is worth playing this game.  You vote with your dollar.  Companies try to keep the majority of people happy because that equals more dollars.  That's called running a business and living in the real world. 

**clap** **clap**

Well said...well said.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Originally posted by cybrinsanity

Just curious but how it seems Trion is being very liberal with Beta Keys, Are there any worries of playing the game and getting the full experience through beta then not wanting to do it again for release?? just seems to me that once everyone has played the beta events all the way through, they wont want to return for release?? no?? curious what everyone else thinks about this?! Post your thoughts!!

I dont even get into beta and ia already have a vip code.

Simply because this game doesn't worth my time.

Seems like we have to wait for gw 2 or blizzards next big hit titan or even world of darkness.

Hope the last three to be intresting games because so far everything has it's negatives and there are a lot of negatives floating around..unfortunately

• Cereal2KCereal2K Member UncommonPosts: 14

Well the Beta saved me the hassle to wait for a free trial.

I was actually really excited about the game but once I noticed how much it is like Warhammer (while still an improvement by a fair bit) I didn't care for it too much. 

While the invasions and rifts are fun for like an hour or two I got bored with them really quickly seeing how they're the exact same thing as the public quests in Warhammer down to the loot system.

I wouldnt be worried about going through too much content in a beta but then again I rarely betatest (actually test for bugs and stuff and report it) games I want to actually play myself because I tend to get tired of stuff really quickly.

But I suppose people who are still really hyped about rift after playing the beta wont mind what they've already seen and still play while people who were unsure before now definately know if it's for them or not, and for me it isn't :)

Cheers, Cereal2K

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

I played beta. Because of that, I know I won't buy it.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Originally posted by causs

You like twitch combat aye? I mean you suffered through 310 hours of APB according to your little banner. Rift isn't for everyone and it certainly isn't for the "twitch combat 4life" crowd. Enjoy Planetside Next bro or whatever Fps mashup u get into.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Originally posted by causs

You like twitch combat aye? I mean you suffered through 310 hours of APB according to your little banner. Rift isn't for everyone and it certainly isn't for the "twitch combat 4life" crowd. Enjoy Planetside Next bro or whatever Fps mashup u get into.

Rofl. I needed a good laugh. APB was greatest character customization ever made. Too bad they never made a game to go with it.

• Cereal2KCereal2K Member UncommonPosts: 14

Right...because he also plays FPS is the reason he doesn't like Rift....very sound argument xD

It might shock you but there are actually people out there who like a broad assortment of different genres and styles :)

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Originally posted by Cereal2K

Right...because he also plays FPS is the reason he doesn't like Rift....very sound argument xD
    It might shock you but there are actually people out there who like a broad assortment of different genres and styles :)

Was only saying rift isn't for everyone. And dude! 300+ hours in one game is a lot considering the game was around for a very short amount of time. You gotta be a twitch fanatic to play APB like that.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• markt50markt50 Member Posts: 132

The Beta certainly worked for me, I played the last 2 beta's and knew the game was right up my street, pre-ordered and signed up for 6 months sub time.

I just hope that those who don't like it can for once just walk away and leave the game for those who enjoy it, there is no excuse seeing as how everybody including my dog has beta keys now, so people can try it and if it isn't for them move on. Of course I'm sure this isn't going to happen and the boards will still be flooded with people complaining how the game isn't anything like Eve or crying coz it isn't FFA full loot PvP or something.

• ChirugaiChirugai Member UncommonPosts: 304

Please refrain from baiting other users. If you see a post you feel breaks our Rules of Conduct, please use the report tool rather than engage in accusations and retaliation.

Thanks!

Fortune favours the bold.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Originally posted by Waizer

I am a big rift fan and have played through all the beta's thus far and I am worried about this problem. During the beta I sometimes find myself not logging in even though I have nothing else to do as I feel a little burnt out. Now its not such a big deal for me because I will be playing regardless, but if I feel this way then there must be a fair few others that feel like it and they might be deciding if they will play the game at release or not based on these beta's.

Just hope that these beta's don't create hype at the expense of actual subscribers at release

This is a sign of a larger form of burnout with gaming in general. I would suggest picking up some hobbies and doing more non-gaming activities. I doubt many people are experiencing this though as Rift is beyond busy during events.
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by Chirugai

Free tacos for every poster in this thread on me!

Thanks!

Sweet! Thanks Chirugai!

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by markt50

The Beta certainly worked for me, I played the last 2 beta's and knew the game was right up my street, pre-ordered and signed up for 6 months sub time.

I just hope that those who don't like it can for once just walk away and leave the game for those who enjoy it, there is no excuse seeing as how everybody including my dog has beta keys now, so people can try it and if it isn't for them move on. Of course I'm sure this isn't going to happen and the boards will still be flooded with people complaining how the game isn't anything like Eve or crying coz it isn't FFA full loot PvP or something.

Right. In AoC people bought the game without much of a test and a lot of them logged on for hours just to spamm the chat with complains how much they hated the game. 

It is bad enough when people flame the boards but the OCC is more or less a disaster.

Weeding out the people who hate the game is good thinking.

I am still undecided myself, depends on wht else will happen this spring.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by Elidien

The real testing is done in alpha...trust me.

Beta is a marketing tool now. The only difference is Rift has decided this is the case unlike other games where the beta isn't stable enough to be considered a marketing tool.

Though in general that seems correct, and though I have no doubt that Trion views these betas as a marketing tool because they know the product is fairly polished, the changes from Beta one to Beta 4 are enough to show me that they are actuall looking at it as a "Beta".

they aren't going to completely remake the game so that it's completely different, it will be what it will be. but the balancing of areas, changing the first start area (which I highly suspect is going to get another change. I'm talking where you first appear) changing when you get all your souls and the addition of a pretty comprehensive poll they sent out after Beta 4 leads me to believe that they are still going to be making changes.

Again, not remaking the game but capitalizing on what they have and making what they have "bettah". image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • revslaverevslave Member UncommonPosts: 154

Hey Hey

For me in the end it will all boil down to how good the gamming community is, so far the public rifts have been very active and if they continue to be post launch they will have me. I really miss the old days when you met people while forming pugs and from random encounters.  There is no amount of Beta testing that can accurately ascertain how this will play out.

That being said because of work and school i will not be able to play much in the upcoming beta which is not a bad thing.  I have never played much with alts and i tend not to redo content, hell i tend to not reread books either. I am not feeling fatigue from the game but a little bit of trepidation of my character being deleted.

In the long run i do not think that the Beta will be a bad thing for the most of the players, beta is what sold me and a bunch of my old guild mates, being able to see past level 20 (AoC and to a lesser degree Aion) is very important to a lot of people.   I would love to see them allow people to be @ max level and open up one raid. People seem to be worried about endgame, and rightfully so, unlike when WoW was released the way people game has changed, to the mantra that the game starts when you hit level cap.

Welcome Home

Rev.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by jpnole

Originally posted by Waizer

I am a big rift fan and have played through all the beta's thus far and I am worried about this problem. During the beta I sometimes find myself not logging in even though I have nothing else to do as I feel a little burnt out. Now its not such a big deal for me because I will be playing regardless, but if I feel this way then there must be a fair few others that feel like it and they might be deciding if they will play the game at release or not based on these beta's.

Just hope that these beta's don't create hype at the expense of actual subscribers at release

This is a sign of a larger form of burnout with gaming in general. I would suggest picking up some hobbies and doing more non-gaming activities. I doubt many people are experiencing this though as Rift is beyond busy during events.

Why do Rift fans always claim that anyone not finding this game exciting or fun are sufffering from 'burnout'.

It really could be, y'know, that they just don't THIS game exciting or fun.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Why do Rift fans always claim that anyone not finding this game exciting or fun are sufffering from 'burnout'.

Could be worse.  Least they're not saying you're a a shill for WoW.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378

...Rift developers have stated time and again that they have spend countless hours providing for content you wont find by following the usual quest hubs. If you never leave the rails of the ride, then you simply will not know about any of it.

Been following the game for quite a while and I do not recognize this as something they said, which is a good thing, because it would be a lie.

It takes one to know one.

I have never said that. I can except that others don't like Trion's approach of polish over depth.

• TotecTotec Member Posts: 220

Originally posted by Astraeis

...Rift developers have stated time and again that they have spend countless hours providing for content you wont find by following the usual quest hubs. If you never leave the rails of the ride, then you simply will not know about any of it.

Been following the game for quite a while and I do not recognize this as something they said, which is a good thing, because it would be a lie.

I think that statement is geared  towards Rifts, World PvP, Artifact collecting, professions, etc...  The alternatives to just grinding quests. 

Honestly, I think that they do this pretty well. The last beta I did 1-13ish pure questing and then did rifts, dailies, and artifact quests to get up to 20. You don't necessarily need to do all the quests. I believe the "going off the rails" comments are talking about not necessarily needing to do every quest like some other MMO's would have you do.

• TotecTotec Member Posts: 220

I have never said that. I can except that others don't like Trion's approach of polish over depth.

They can't have both polish and depth?

Originally posted by Totec

I think that statement is geared  towards Rifts, World PvP, Artifact collecting, professions, etc...  The alternatives to just grinding quests. 

Honestly, I think that they do this pretty well. The last beta I did 1-13ish pure questing and then did rifts, dailies, and artifact quests to get up to 20. You don't necessarily need to do all the quests. I believe the "going off the rails" comments are talking about not necessarily needing to do every quest like some other MMO's would have you do.

It is a good game. But it does not feel like an mmorpg. It is very difficult to get off the tracks and explore, because there is not that much to explore. Crafting is overly simplistic and imo not finished yet. PvP and doing dungeons is probably the best part of the game. The solo content is boring and feels like a quest grind.

For release it will do. I am curious what direction this game will take after release though. They might do great things, they need to do great things and show more inspiration than they have shown thusfar by delivering something that works and is great fun playing, but not enough to keep playing.

Originally posted by Totec

They can't have both polish and depth?

You tell them. I don't know why they did it this way.

This discussion has been closed.