Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift beta questions

NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Hi,

Never really payed much attention to Rift, and cant say it really interests me all that much. However I would like to get some informed info on the game before i comment on the countless threads on the forum. 

So from my understanding. You can go to the website and submit a beta request(which ive done) or you can pre order the game and get an Automatic invite. What are the chances of actually getting in on a general request? (success stories i wana hear I guess). How do the betas operate, Do you only get X amount of time to experience the game then the test server comes down?

Don't mind paying the preorder, Just as long as i can see for myself what the game is, and is not. And seeing how i'm not really subbed to an mmorpg at the moment, it will give me something to do lol.

Thanks,

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Comments

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    I would go to a gamestop pre-order for 5 bucks and get into the next three beta events. Each beta event lasts three days and if you decide that you don't like it you could get your 5 bucks back. If you decide to pre-order off the Trion site they will charge the full game amount instantly and I don't think you could get a refund. Your other option is to wait for an invite that probably won't come. The game has a huge buzz at the moment and everyone want to try it. As for me i pre-ordered and am taking the 6 month founders sub for 9.99 a month. I like the game.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

The least hassle route is pre-ordering someplace where you drop 5 bucks.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• CannyoneCannyone Member UncommonPosts: 267

Near the begining of December I signed up for the Beta.  When they asked why I was intersted I told them the truth, that I thought I might like their class system, but I wanted experience.  Then just before the next beta event I got an invite (that was for Beta Event 3).  I was busy at the time so I couldn't participate.  But they sent another invite for Beta Event 4.

Now I'm a skeptic at heart.  And I've tried allot of MMORPGs in the last 12 years (must be why I'm a skeptic...??).  But I love the class system in Rift.  And before that Event was over I was in for a Pre-Order from Direct2Drive (where I cannot get a refund!).  Still I have no expectation that Rift will be "perfect".  Though, IMHO, it is already better than most MMOs I've played.  I'll sub for at least 3 months, and by then I should know if I want to stick with it.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

The more i read about the game on their website the more it draws me in...which is surprising because i came to the table with a very sceptical attitude.

If i could find somewhere in Australia that allowed me to put down a $5 deposit with a refund i would do it in a heart beat lol.

all the websites are saying $50~ with no refund for pre orders.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

Totally not on topic...but no the cities feel like a convention hall. Very small.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by ReallyNow10

Let me ask a couple of questions if I can.  Do the cities in Rift feel like"cities" as in places where players of all levels go to hang out in?  I'd like there to be some permanency to areas so I do not always feel like I have leaving areas behind permanently.

(Not sure if I asked this before.)

The faction strongholds are small.  The gloamwood pines is a medium size city.  It's not gigantic though.  Imagine a gothic Ewok village.

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770

Originally posted by Mellkor

Hi,

Never really payed much attention to Rift, and cant say it really interests me all that much. However I would like to get some informed info on the game before i comment on the countless threads on the forum. 

So from my understanding. You can go to the website and submit a beta request(which ive done) or you can pre order the game and get an Automatic invite. What are the chances of actually getting in on a general request? (success stories i wana hear I guess). How do the betas operate, Do you only get X amount of time to experience the game then the test server comes down?

Don't mind paying the preorder, Just as long as i can see for myself what the game is, and is not. And seeing how i'm not really subbed to an mmorpg at the moment, it will give me something to do lol.

Thanks,

You can get a VIP code from cures.com or ZAM.com for free..

http://www.zam.com/giveaways/rift.html

http://www.curse.com/articles/rift-news/913445.aspx

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by watchawatcha

Originally posted by ReallyNow10

Let me ask a couple of questions if I can.  Do the cities in Rift feel like"cities" as in places where players of all levels go to hang out in?  I'd like there to be some permanency to areas so I do not always feel like I have leaving areas behind permanently.

(Not sure if I asked this before.)

The faction strongholds are small.  The gloamwood pines is a medium size city.  It's not gigantic though.  Imagine a gothic Ewok village.

The guardian's stronghold does not resemble a city. More like a big building in the center, with kiosks etc around it and a big wall surrounding everything. The defiant stronghold reminds me a lot of the dwarven capital in Dragon Age.