Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Five Underappreciated MMOs

Comments

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

Originally posted by Ciccero

Come on

The idea of under appreciation is that a game does something or hits certain points that make it better and they go unrecognized or spoken of.

Darkfall screwed itself with poor game play at the get go, "Wild West" pvp system which literaly forced people to travel in packs and constant hardware issues due to skimping. The game is under appreciated because it was crap for the 1st few months. In an industry where the 1st 30 days makes or breaks and the companies inability to recognize or READ THE FORUMS and work FOR their customer base is NO ONES fault, but their own.

You just did what this thread is all about, small indie company releases game, has a flawed start. You never look at it or consider it again. Two years later the game is good but you still under value it because it had a bad start off...

• HakotenHakoten Member UncommonPosts: 23

Earthrise looks like crap.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

How can something that is not yet released, Earthrise, be "underappreciated"?  It can be neither appreciated or underappreciated at this point. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• FragtzackFragtzack Member Posts: 10

I immediately thought Vanguard when I seen the "Five Underappreciated MMO's" title.

Curses to SOE for not  marketing Vanguard. Would still go back to this day if it had any appreciable population.

• Gardavil2Gardavil2 Member Posts: 394

Come on
    The idea of under appreciation is that a game does something or hits certain points that make it better and they go unrecognized or spoken of.

Darkfall screwed itself with poor game play at the get go, "Wild West" pvp system which literaly forced people to travel in packs and constant hardware issues due to skimping. The game is under appreciated because it was crap for the 1st few months. In an industry where the 1st 30 days makes or breaks and the companies inability to recognize or READ THE FORUMS and work FOR their customer base is NO ONES fault, but their own.

Atlantica ?
    What aprt do we appreciate ? The part where the guy with the deepest wallet wins ? Sorry, you have not played this game to list it here and not realize that is the SIMPLE truth. The man with the American Express and the desire to dump piles of cash from it into this game, is the guy that wins.....I do appreciate the game for it's blatant Blizzard rip off UI and character controls....lol

Have you played a tale in the desert ? That is one big pile of crap. It's like Ancient Egypt sims online or Farming simulator extreame. I appreciate the fact you learn that this games only focus is bing similar to Civilation1-5 than anything else :)

And to the guy who tossed out Vanguard, you msut have been one of those Fanbois who didnt mind a memory leak that was so brutal your system could barely move without a reboot. The ONLY 2 saving graces to that game were its intense crafting system and its card game. The rest was poorly constructed, EQ-esque, Jeff Butler  I KNOW WHAT THE PLAYERS WANT, borderline legally obligated to shoot itself for urinating and constantly LYING to it's customer base... I appreciate the fact it died, plain and simple.

When I think of a game that is under appreciaited I think of games like...well..Ultima Online. The grandfather whom everyone flocked from as something new and shiney came out. 14 years later the game is still active and appears to have a stable customer base. Several expansions and constant balancing attempts tell me this is a game that is under appreciiated for what it has done,what it is doing and the simple fact it will be a game that runs until the world falls into a nuclear ruin :)
    I think of EQ and the fact that a game showed us that a company thinks it knows better than its subscription base. I think of how Smed and the Butlers pissed on the sub base so much that the MINUTE something even more Shiney was available,the world flocked to it. I appreciiate those 3 people, Smed,Jeff and his tyranical wife, for showing me that a player base can give people the finger in the form of taking their 15/mo to another game and watch that previous game shivel up and become a shadow of what it once was.
    I think of City of Heroes and the simple idea that running the same content,same character modeling same quests,year after year will drive your customer base into insanity and force it to choose to play a riveting game of Tic-tac-toe rather than endure another round of endless redundancy.
    I also think of Guildwars. A game that has focused itself to continually developing content for a 1 time  price and offering SUEPRIOR hardware to ensure its customer base was always able to play. Offering items to be purchased, to generate revenue, that would not imbalance game play for thoe who did not or could not buy the items. I think of how broken quests were fixed and how players were given  what the majority felt was needed. A side note...the NCSoft Customer service is BAD.....but no one has all pluses
    I thank WOW for showing us that a game CAN be structured to zombify a population into being driven to chase the same endless goal over and over. For its recent expansion that offers 2 new races, a visual revamping of the entire game, and the same 5 places to lvel at 85, with the same quests and the most boring climb from 80-85 that anyone could dream of. I thank WOW for its tireless effort to IGNORE and allow gold selling and account sales to go unchecked. I thank WOW for showing me the WORSE possible behavior a child can display and NOT be berated for it. Yes, the teeming kiddies in WOW are the icing to any cake. If you always wanted to be a prick, Play WOW, not only do you get too, but you get away with it.
    I appreciate them all for what they taught me, what lessons I learned and what I was able to take away from each. I do not appreciate a game for being poor, having poor CSR and not caring what it's customers think...your list is fouled.

*scatches head*

*reads again*

All good points. All I will say is that not everyone saw everything you saw, and you have not seen all that others have seen. I have a differing opinion than you do about a couple MMOs you mention but other than that...

Damn fine post Sir.

I am the Player that wonders... "What the %#*& just happened?!"
    "I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "
    __Ever Present Cockroach of the MMO Verses__
    ...scurrying to and fro... .munching on bits of garbage... always under foot...

• grayknyghtgrayknyght Member UncommonPosts: 25

Originally posted by mackdawg19

No reason for a game yet to be released to be on that list. Maybe someone needs to read over the term in the dictionary! :P You can't appreciate something that has no substance, or better yet nobody has played.

I don't know...most religions are based on appreciating something with no substance :)

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

I played Perpetuum Online for all of 2 hours. Not sure what the appeal is.

Earthrise might as well be vaporware. It's about to release anyday now and we know next to nothing about it. It rivals MO for the amount of actual footage and proven info prior to lauch. MMORPG seems to be horny for this game for some reason. To me the game seems like a con job. I hope I'm proven wrong and the game is fantastic but I'm definitely skeptical at this point.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

WURM online deserves a mention.

Oddly enough you could say FFXIV, if you can get past the massive flaws, (and man am I trying) It at least offers very challanging crafting and multi-class lvling, in a sandbox sort of way.

grayknyght, I want to have your baby.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

This is a VERY odd list,how does a game not released make it in there?How can you appreciate something that is not even released?like i said VERY odd choices here.

imo most of those games have shallow content,and deserve to be hardly noticed.Atlantica has a lot of stuff inside,but the turn based game,really sets it apart .I thought it was cool at first but after a few days ,i realised turn based doesn't belong in the mmorpg genre,as it is more so a single player game design.Underappreciated,i guess Atlantia deservesd to be there none the less,but the other games,nah,thje title means the games are really good but basically not given credit,i diss agree that they are really good.Heck Tales in the desert is meant to be finished with basically a single goal,not really a mmorpg at all.

Just like the unrelkeased game,Perpetuum is far too early in it's release phase to be in any underappreciated list.You pretty much need to fully play out a game and all of it's content before you can really determine the status of a game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• katriellkatriell Member UncommonPosts: 977

Ryzom: So Underappreciated, William Murphy Forgot It

-----------
    In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on August 13, 2008.

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

Calling BS on your darkfall pick:

" Every week we here at MMORPG.com focus weekly columns on some of the industry’s most anticipated upcoming games, because we try to offer content geared towards what we think you’d like to read.  Whether it’s previews or opinion pieces or news items, we always try to cover as much ground as our small team can.  But with four-hundred or so games on the docket, it’s no wonder we don’t get around to spreading the wealth as much as we’d like."

Darkfall has received more attention on this site than many AAA titles and every other indie title combined. It is far from underappreciated coverage wise. Stop trying to push this piece of gargage down our throats. If you want ratings post pictures of naked women. At least have some honesty about what you're doing and a shred of integrity.

• GithernGithern Member Posts: 79

Maybe you could consider that underappreciated may also mean that it doesn't have enough hype or attention? Besides that, who cares what a game looks like? The main thing is that it plays well. Now if the look interferes with gameplay like Earthrise might if it rubberbands a lot then sure. But if you don't play a game because it looks bad then you're giving yourself the short end of the stick.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

remove earthrise cus its not out yet and sub in Vanguard, the kind of all underrated games

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

I'm not sure how an unreleased MMO can be underappreciated... I mean, it's not open to the public yet to give them a chance to appreciate it properly?

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Atlantica is a fresh game in this sea of MMOs, it's a shame that it has to be F2P and feature a cash shop. It's what spoiled it to me, seeing all those items and the potential of money in a virtual game. Sorry, but I play games to have fun with my time, not my wallet.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Earthrise has no business on this list. 

1) its not even released

2) have you seen the gameplay videos?  It looks absolutely god awful terrible.

• NIIINIII Member UncommonPosts: 113

IMO a game that is far from the popularity it deserves on this site (I have yet to read anything good about it at all.) is Tibia. That should give it a good sturdy spot on this list. It has a huge player base, has been stable and online for over a decade, and has many good features. Though I don't currently play it, I sometimes nostalgia as to how fun it used to be.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

While it isn't my kind of thing, my roommates can't pull themselves away from Wurm Online. From watching them play it is the very definition of sandbox. Looks boring as hell to me, but they just LOVE it. Thought it deserved a mention here as it is undersung and might appeal to players looking for total freedom in a game.

• zephermarkuszephermarkus Member Posts: 201

I think darkfall need to release a server where the only time u pvp and get full looted is when u declare war on another guild city and when you arent at war wihta guild then u cannot be targetted this would get rid of alot of the ganking and would prolly bring about a whole lot of money for darfall cause the games is great but full loot pvp is not when u are trying to lvl or just have fun killing mobs and farmng.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

I dont know about other games as i haven't test them but atlantica is the worst game i've ever played in my whole life.

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482

I agree with Darkfall but think Vanguard is more deserving than Earthrise.

Darkfall gets alot of rage threads because 99% of the MMO community are softcore carebears that can't handle being drylooted.

• KareshKaresh Member UncommonPosts: 242

Originally posted by finnmacool1

Calling BS on your darkfall pick:

" Every week we here at MMORPG.com focus weekly columns on some of the industry’s most anticipated upcoming games, because we try to offer content geared towards what we think you’d like to read.  Whether it’s previews or opinion pieces or news items, we always try to cover as much ground as our small team can.  But with four-hundred or so games on the docket, it’s no wonder we don’t get around to spreading the wealth as much as we’d like."

Darkfall has received more attention on this site than many AAA titles and every other indie title combined. It is far from underappreciated coverage wise. Stop trying to push this piece of gargage down our throats. If you want ratings post pictures of naked women. At least have some honesty about what you're doing and a shred of integrity.

Come on man, you completely missed the point of the post. Just because a game gets a lot of attention doesn't mean it's highly appreciated. I think we can all understand that, ESPECIALLY if you've read through the DF forums. 

• KizzattaKizzatta Member Posts: 59

Originally posted by Gardavil2

Come on

Atlantica ?

What aprt do we appreciate ? The part where the guy with the deepest wallet wins ? Sorry, you have not played this game to list it here and not realize that is the SIMPLE truth. The man with the American Express and the desire to dump piles of cash from it into this game, is the guy that wins.....I do appreciate the game for it's blatant Blizzard rip off UI and character controls....lol

Have you played a tale in the desert ? That is one big pile of crap. It's like Ancient Egypt sims online or Farming simulator extreame. I appreciate the fact you learn that this games only focus is bing similar to Civilation1-5 than anything else :)

And to the guy who tossed out Vanguard, you msut have been one of those Fanbois who didnt mind a memory leak that was so brutal your system could barely move without a reboot. The ONLY 2 saving graces to that game were its intense crafting system and its card game. The rest was poorly constructed, EQ-esque, Jeff Butler  I KNOW WHAT THE PLAYERS WANT, borderline legally obligated to shoot itself for urinating and constantly LYING to it's customer base... I appreciate the fact it died, plain and simple.

When I think of a game that is under appreciaited I think of games like...well..Ultima Online. The grandfather whom everyone flocked from as something new and shiney came out. 14 years later the game is still active and appears to have a stable customer base. Several expansions and constant balancing attempts tell me this is a game that is under appreciiated for what it has done,what it is doing and the simple fact it will be a game that runs until the world falls into a nuclear ruin :)

I think of EQ and the fact that a game showed us that a company thinks it knows better than its subscription base. I think of how Smed and the Butlers pissed on the sub base so much that the MINUTE something even more Shiney was available,the world flocked to it. I appreciiate those 3 people, Smed,Jeff and his tyranical wife, for showing me that a player base can give people the finger in the form of taking their 15/mo to another game and watch that previous game shivel up and become a shadow of what it once was.

I think of City of Heroes and the simple idea that running the same content,same character modeling same quests,year after year will drive your customer base into insanity and force it to choose to play a riveting game of Tic-tac-toe rather than endure another round of endless redundancy.

I also think of Guildwars. A game that has focused itself to continually developing content for a 1 time  price and offering SUEPRIOR hardware to ensure its customer base was always able to play. Offering items to be purchased, to generate revenue, that would not imbalance game play for thoe who did not or could not buy the items. I think of how broken quests were fixed and how players were given  what the majority felt was needed. A side note...the NCSoft Customer service is BAD.....but no one has all pluses

I thank WOW for showing us that a game CAN be structured to zombify a population into being driven to chase the same endless goal over and over. For its recent expansion that offers 2 new races, a visual revamping of the entire game, and the same 5 places to lvel at 85, with the same quests and the most boring climb from 80-85 that anyone could dream of. I thank WOW for its tireless effort to IGNORE and allow gold selling and account sales to go unchecked. I thank WOW for showing me the WORSE possible behavior a child can display and NOT be berated for it. Yes, the teeming kiddies in WOW are the icing to any cake. If you always wanted to be a prick, Play WOW, not only do you get too, but you get away with it.

I appreciate them all for what they taught me, what lessons I learned and what I was able to take away from each. I do not appreciate a game for being poor, having poor CSR and not caring what it's customers think...your list is fouled.

*scatches head*

*reads again*

All good points. All I will say is that not everyone saw everything you saw, and you have not seen all that others have seen. I have a differing opinion than you do about a couple MMOs you mention but other than that...

Damn fine post Sir.

Yeah all of the games on this list excluding Earthrise are 'underappreciated' for pretty good reasons. I do however disagree with your thoughts on Ultima Online. It's not underappreciated, it's a universally well-respected game by most people and companies that matter in the industry today, including us. Most true hardcore MMORPG vets know where to pay our due respects. Lets have a drink to that, cheers! :D

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Seems like pretty much everybody is asking wtf when it comes to Earthrise. How can a game that hasn't released yet with next to no info or videos be underappreciated? The game is launching next month and we are in the dark.

• flydowntomeflydowntome Member Posts: 106
    The real 5 underappreciated MMOs:

1. Final Fantasy XI. Deep endgame, pioneered a lot of innovative mechanics like the job and subjob system, and did story before bioware even thought of making tor.

2. Champions Online. People talk a lot of crap about it, but it's a nice casual MMO with a decent community, great customization, and good performance and stability. It's main problem is a lack of content.

3. Mabinogi. Has great concepts no other MMO has. You can compose your own music, put it on scrolls and sell it to other players, or make your own clothes. Great pet system with a ton of customizability.

4. Fallen Earth. Icarus is working their heart out to try and make the game as best as it can.

5. Maple Story. This one is underappreciated historically, and was the reason Nexon became such a tremendous developer powerhouse. It may be a bad thing or a good thing, but it sure was momentous.