Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera - Westernization

nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

The devs are saying they will westernize the game. What will be different from korean to West's?

I'm thinking: if the quest says collect 10 of x, we'll have to kill the x only 10 times.

Is this the only thing?

Comments

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Generally they just mean localisation of languages when they say 'westernisation'  Also asian written languages are completly different to the western, so the interface will need to be alterd.

As for gameplay, I doubt much will change.  Asian gamers however do prefer to play with other people, its their social life.  Westerners trend towards doing things solo.  So if there is any change I imagine it would be to make it more soloable.

• bygeorgebygeorge Member UncommonPosts: 104

EnMasse has already had several "westernized" ideas added to the game, namely achievements and controller support. They also plan on changing the leveling curve, adding more quests, translating  (of course), and tweaking the story to make more sense to a western audience.

• ryuga81ryuga81 Member UncommonPosts: 351

Originally posted by bygeorge
    EnMasse has already had several "westernized" ideas added to the game, namely achievements and controller support. They also plan on changing the leveling curve, adding more quests, translating  (of course), and tweaking the story to make more sense to a western audience.

Controller support? O__O
  • cc2918cc2918 Member UncommonPosts: 9

i doubt they can do much.

changing few things can cause different gamestyle..

and i believe en masse doesn't have ability to change the game mechanism.

ppl should know by now, publisher doesn't have power to do anything.. except localization and server sided config value(mob incase, death pentality.. etc)

• PlasmicredxPlasmicredx Member Posts: 629

Originally posted by sadeyx

Generally they just mean localisation of languages when they say 'westernisation'  Also asian written languages are completly different to the western, so the interface will need to be alterd.

As for gameplay, I doubt much will change.  Asian gamers however do prefer to play with other people, its their social life.  Westerners trend towards doing things solo.  So if there is any change I imagine it would be to make it more soloable.

I don't know about that. I was watching a livestream of the korean open beta and a guy showed 20+ people just standing there waiting for a quest mob to spawn just like what would happen in an american mmorpg. Nobody was inviting anyone to group to just get it over with. Everyone was attacking the air in an attempt to get the first tap.

I doubt there's really all that much difference in behavior alone. We're all just human.

• bygeorgebygeorge Member UncommonPosts: 104

Originally posted by bygeorge

Forgot to mention, EnMasse is also creating seperate PvE and PvP servers. Koreans only have one server type.

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    Thank goodness, I will most definitely play on the PvP server.
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

They need to get rid of this "westernization".

• IsometrixIsometrix Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by Heretique

Yes good idea. We need another Aion with 500 quests that give no quest rewards and 200 hours to get the last 5 levels. That worked well.

Originally posted by Isometrix

Yes good idea. We need another Aion with 500 quests that give no quest rewards and 200 hours to get the last 5 levels. That worked well.

I agree, westernization is bad for MMOs... at least IMO. I know you are joking, but seriously, the leveling wasn't THAT bad. I got about a level a day at 45+.. Not insane or something.. I feel you should have to earn your levels, especially as you get higher up.

Every time a game is geared toward western audiences, we get a whole lot of handholding, not much fun IMO.

• laikacosmolaikacosmo Member Posts: 37

Originally posted by JayFiveAlive

I agree, westernization is bad for MMOs... at least IMO. I know you are joking, but seriously, the leveling wasn't THAT bad. I got about a level a day at 45+.. Not insane or something.. I feel you should have to earn your levels, especially as you get higher up.

Every time a game is geared toward western audiences, we get a whole lot of handholding, not much fun IMO.

Earn your levels by sinking an entire day into mindless grind for one level?  I'm not exactly sure why you feel it is necessary to have no life to reach and enjoy end-game in an MMO... I still have nightmares of the monotonous coin collect quests in Aion to get that gold reward weapon late into your forties...and you see anything else as "hand holding"?

This just...baffles me....

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Ah, yes. Great way for the game to make money. Appeal to the smallest target audience possible.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by nomss

The devs are saying they will westernize the game. What will be different from korean to West's?

I'm thinking: if the quest says collect 10 of x, we'll have to kill the x only 10 times.

Is this the only thing?

They will take out any outstanding artistic and game mechanic features that make the game unique to homogenize it, so it doesn't frighten away the Anime hating, button mashing and face rolling portion of the fanbase. Remove any long words from the game dialogue to avoid confusion on the part of the less than literate portion of the population. Add the option to super size any purchasable food items in game. Remove the Popori race because while westerners can accept absurd fantasy races such as Hobbits, Gnomes, and Goblins, they will think a race of furry chipmunk people to be silly (plus they will fear P.E.T.A. might complain). And replace any good voice acting with new dialogue by "quality" actors like Keanu Reeves and Lindsay Lohan

Should be a big hit. 

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• Originally posted by Tardcore

They will take out any outstanding artistic and game mechanic features that make the game unique to homogenize it, so it doesn't frighten away the Anime hating, button mashing and face rolling portion of the fanbase. Remove any long words from the game dialogue to avoid confusion on the part of the less than literate portion of the population. Add the option to super size any purchasable food items in game. Remove the Popori race because while westerners can accept absurd fantasy races such as Hobbits, Gnomes, and Goblins, they will think a race of furry chipmunk people to be silly (plus they will fear P.E.T.A. might complain). And replace any good voice acting with new dialogue by "quality" actors like Keanu Reeves and Lindsay Lohan

Should be a big hit.

Don't forget that the female Popori look very young, so to avoid lawsuits and concerned parents that's just another reason to scrap that race.

XP needed for lvlup divided by 10 easily too.

If I spoke Korean, I'd probably play it over there, I'm telling ya. I'm tired of the "god this is too hard I don't want to put in any effort but I can please have complete epic lewt anyway?"

We could go on and on I guess.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by laikacosmo

Earn your levels by sinking an entire day into mindless grind for one level?  I'm not exactly sure why you feel it is necessary to have no life to reach and enjoy end-game in an MMO... I still have nightmares of the monotonous coin collect quests in Aion to get that gold reward weapon late into your forties...and you see anything else as "hand holding"?

And i don't understand what is the rush? race to endgame and what.....You grind gear? 

On a side note, personally i think someone that has invested more time in a games should have more of an advantage over someone that has not. You get out, what you put in and all that.

Edit: Suppose i should say something on westernization.

I personally don't think they will deliver on what everyone is expecting with westernization, on the website, TERRA is described as a sandbox mmorpg, yet all i hear about is Quests and how to make them more entertaining to a western gamer... Best you could probably hope for out of the box is generic Kill x rats return quests with "a twist"

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

It shouldn't baffle you :P How many games have awesome end-game content, especially within the first 6-months to a year+ of being released? Pretty much none... I would much rather enjoy my time getting max level while doing other stuff. I am not saying Aion doesn't have handholding, cause it does.  It's not quite as much railroading as something like Rift, but still Aion's handholding does bother me a bit - it's just not as bad as other games. When you get levels handed to you like they are free samples at a grocery store, it encourages you to skip out of areas as fast as you can and get through the content to reach the end... to me that is yawn.

Just because I enjoy leveling and doing random crap on my way, instead of OMG WE MUST RACE TO END GAME CONTENT WHERE THE GAME GETS FUN, doesn't mean leveling has to be mindless just cause it takes awhile.

Originally posted by Mellkor

And i don't understand what is the rush? race to endgame and what.....You grind gear? 

On a side note, personally i think someone that has invested more time in a games should have more of an advantage over someone that has not. You get out, what you put in and all that.

Edit: Suppose i should say something on westernization.

I personally don't think they will deliver on what everyone is expecting with westernization, on the website, TERRA is described as a sandbox mmorpg, yet all i hear about is Quests and how to make them more entertaining to a western gamer... Best you could probably hope for out of the box is generic Kill x rats return quests with "a twist"

Ha, I should have read and quoted your post before I posted.

• Originally posted by Mellkor

TERRA is described as a sandbox mmorpg, yet all i hear about is Quests and how to make them more entertaining to a western gamer... Best you could probably hope for out of the box is generic Kill x rats return quests with "a twist"

Well, it's not sandbox. Not at all afaik. If you are looking for a sandbox mmo, this is not what you are looking for..

Think Aion, but improved and less pvp. Also more targeting done by yourself instead of tabbing through the enemies and hitting 1-9.

http://de.justin.tv/naup

A good stream with 95% uptime, guy plays night and day in Korean OB.

• biplexbiplex Member Posts: 268

TERRA is described as a sandbox mmorpg, yet all i hear about is Quests and how to make them more entertaining to a western gamer... Best you could probably hope for out of the box is generic Kill x rats return quests with "a twist"

You are writing on wrong forum. TERRA forum is here http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/category/262

Also quests and sandbox does not totally contradict each other.
    I wish TERA devs never used sandbox term in the first place. This term is so vague and ill defined, that basically anybody see it as totally different.

The facts:
    World in TERA is not 100% open. There are lots of invisible walls. There are 2 continents and a starting island. You need to use pegasi to move between 3 of them, but in each of them you can walk from any other point to any other point.

When using sandbox term, devs mean that the story of the realms is created by players. You can become landlord or king and setup taxes and rules on the theritories. Ownership of land is changed with elections and pvp.

There are quests so there is some kind of story and something to do in the world. However you can totally ignore them (except you need to do some campaign quests to exit starting location) and do whatever you please.

Is it sandbox or not is totally irrelevant. The game is fun to play mostly due to targetless combat, and not only at the (how i hate that term) end game, but all the time. Actually there is no better mmo i have ever played, and i played a lot.

http://www.teraonline.info.pl Polski Poradnik Gry Tera Online

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Rylon

Well, it's not sandbox. Not at all afaik. If you are looking for a sandbox mmo, this is not what you are looking for..

Think Aion, but improved and less pvp. Also more targeting done by yourself instead of tabbing through the enemies and hitting 1-9.

http://de.justin.tv/naup

A good stream with 95% uptime, guy plays night and day in Korean OB.

Cant find the origonal dev blog, but it was quoted by a dev saying it was going to be a sandbox mmorpg

(community discussion on it here)

http://www.tera-online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5654

I don't really care if it is or isnt, What i care about is marketing pulling a misdirect and telling customers whatever they want to hear to sell boxes.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It shouldn't baffle you :P How many games have awesome end-game content, especially within the first 6-months to a year+ of being released? Pretty much none... I would much rather enjoy my time getting max level while doing other stuff. I am not saying Aion doesn't have handholding, cause it does.  It's not quite as much railroading as something like Rift, but still Aion's handholding does bother me a bit - it's just not as bad as other games. When you get levels handed to you like they are free samples at a grocery store, it encourages you to skip out of areas as fast as you can and get through the content to reach the end... to me that is yawn.

Just because I enjoy leveling and doing random crap on my way, instead of OMG WE MUST RACE TO END GAME CONTENT WHERE THE GAME GETS FUN, doesn't mean leveling has to be mindless just cause it takes awhile.

I agree, kinda.

The trend to view leveling as a fast tutorial suck, I don't like the way western MMOs have turned the last few years.

But on the other hand do I want options for leveling up, just grinding mobs gets boring after a while.

In a game where it actually take some time to level up people actually do dungeons and stuff to get gear before they maxed out. In most modern MMOs that is pointless since it will be worthless in a few hours and getting a dungeon set takes longer than that.

AIONs problem is few and boring quests and loads of creature grind, not how long time it takes to level.

But there is a big difference in attitude here between people who played MMO before Wow and EQ2 released and the people who started after.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Loke666

I agree, kinda.
    The trend to view leveling as a fast tutorial suck, I don't like the way western MMOs have turned the last few years.
    But on the other hand do I want options for leveling up, just grinding mobs gets boring after a while.
    In a game where it actually take some time to level up people actually do dungeons and stuff to get gear before they maxed out. In most modern MMOs that is pointless since it will be worthless in a few hours and getting a dungeon set takes longer than that.
    AIONs problem is few and boring quests and loads of creature grind, not how long time it takes to level.
    But there is a big difference in attitude here between people who played MMO before Wow and EQ2 released and the people who started after.

It really depends on how the game is setup. If the sandbox land ownership features are end game items and you can't participate until the end game, then I can see a lot of people figuring out how to blow through as much content as quickly as they can. I can see the developer making it possible. On the other hand if you can participate in the game in a meaningful way no matter what your level is, then there's not as much incentive to get to the max level. In that case the leveling needs to be fun and interesting and there doesn't need to be as much focus on getting through content as fast as possible.

I don't know that much about the game beyond the combat, so until I see more beta information for the Western audience...it all kind of depends.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SolestranSolestran Member Posts: 342

I have yet to experience any MMO that has been westernized to any real extent other than to change the language.  Lineage, Lineage II, Final Fantasy XI and XIV, RF Online, Aion and the plethora of free games I've tried have always remained asian grinders with very little embracing of western values, control schemes and content.

Whether this is due to eastern developers being clueless or who just don't care, the results are always the same, games that most westerners cannot stand.   I have no reason to believe these people have any more of a clue.  It's already going to be a limited product due to real time combat and lack of target locking.  There is no denying that this kind of paradigm is not widely embraced by the Western MMO gaming population as a whole. Who knows, they may tap into the console gamers, but I seriously doubt it.

• Originally posted by Solestran
    It's already going to be a limited product due to real time combat and lack of target locking.

So the TAB point and click with the spam of skills, no tactic, no dodge, is much better than an action fps mmo?
    What a disgrace the mmo community, is because of these spoiled people that the mmo genre is stagnating and never improve.
    But hey, i guess is a cultural difference, so have fun in you wow clone of the year (rift), i will never touch anymore a point & click game from now on.

The time and technology is mature eought toward the next-gen mmo.

• Gardavil2Gardavil2 Member Posts: 394

Originally posted by kdchan

Originally posted by Solestran
    It's already going to be a limited product due to real time combat and lack of target locking.

So the TAB point and click with the spam of skills, no tactic, no dodge, is much better than an action fps mmo?
    What a disgrace the mmo community, is because of these spoiled people that the mmo genre is stagnating and never improve.
    But hey, i guess is a cultural difference, so have fun in you wow clone of the year (rift), i will never touch anymore a point & click game from now on.

The time and technology is mature eought toward the next-gen mmo.

What will happen whether we agree with it or not:

MMOs are *not* made for MMO fans. They are made for the other 6.5 billion people on the planet that could not hit the broad side of the Great Wall of China.

Maybe someday all this talk about why the MMO genre is stagnant will end when everyone realizes that once this MMO hobby came out of the closet around 2005 and was noticed by the Financial Elite it was doomed to mediocrity just like Fast Food restaurants, Television, and just about everything else in the US.

At least in the East they still make some MMOs that require skill... MMOs in the West are considered financial failures far too easily and too quickly and never really get the support they need(due to expectations of making money greater than Blizzard, not true fails). Westernization means dumbing down the game as well as language translation. How much or how little is the question.

What I would like see happen but won't:

Language translation is all. Nothing more. Tera supposedly works and is great right now... "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

I personally hope Tera only gets a language translation. I would really like to see this MMO fall below the radar and stay GOOD.... GOOD from a MMO Player's perspective.

I am the Player that wonders... "What the %#*& just happened?!"
    "I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "
    __Ever Present Cockroach of the MMO Verses__
    ...scurrying to and fro... .munching on bits of garbage... always under foot...

This discussion has been closed.