Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mirrored instances,lack of mob variety.Copy paste,damn.

tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Building up your character is just as addictive as it is in City of Heroes or Champions Online and the combat is nice and fluid, but for me, that's where the fun ends. So, you run around or fly around, the city looks amazing when you're in the air, but when you're on the ground, everythings generic, a lack of model variety so that you end up fighting the same looking mob over and over and over again, those NPCs in Lex Luthor's nightclub who are dancing are clones. Even the instances are copy pasted from one another filled with the exact same looking mobs you've fought over and over elsewhere, very lazy when the whole game screams repetitiveness.

How do you ignore all this and continue playing the game? There's simply no immersion at all sadly. The combat is great, but so is the combat in Vindictus. I really can't see this game going anywhere when the devs get sloppy on content and copy paste everything. I grew bored of CoH because of the repetitiveness of the mobs and instances despite the combat and character building being enjoyable.

Ouch.

Comments

• Boreth11Boreth11 Member UncommonPosts: 10

Boring, buggy , erratic control , 1 PvP , 1 PVE server on the EU side , 10-20 mins log-in time and no one around when you finally do log in. Took 2 hours from purchase to install to delete and cancellation. Sony MMO in all it's glory.

Boreth

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

With the lack of mob variety and copy paste I thought you were talking about FFXIV =P

--

I could be wrong but...it's based on comic books and in comic books the bad guys hench and such are mostly human...Question is do they have different skillsets? Does Mob A behave differently than Mob B?

--

I had fun playing it for a day or two, but I am not a fan of the action playstyle.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• roamieroamie Member Posts: 115

I have to agree with most of your complains. But unlike CO it has a good basis. More character creation options, a mount system and non human mobs could make this game a "very good" one.  Maybe we could have some tesselation or bump mapping as well?

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by tachgb

How do you ignore all this and continue playing the game? There's simply no immersion at all sadly.

Most people playing DCUO are busy fighting outside of the police stations or fighting in the arenas. They havent' really noticed that Lex Luthor's nightclub is basically the Metro Police station with a few twists. I don't think they care if they did either.

SoE has picked the perfect vehicle (mindless, inconsequential PvP) for the perfect platfrom (console first/PC second) for the perfect player (someone who'd pay $15/mo for a console game to fight in a box over tights).

Bland repetitiveness isn't a detriment in DCUO. It's a gaming feature!

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by terroni

Question is do they have different skillsets? Does Mob A behave differently than Mob B?

Yeah, it's just like any typical game.

Group of mobs in a parking lot or lawn milling about waiting for YOU to attack them.

You attack one, the melee mob charges you to stun/knockback/pull in while the ranged mob stays back and shoots/nukes/roots/slows.

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

When I first started playing Beta, I loved the game.  Shortly thereafter, I started feeling the repetition.  All the missions I played were exactly the same with just a new mob to fight.  The formula was exactly the change.  Do some kill x number of this mob, save x number of those, collect these, and then a door mission with a boss.  There really was no variety. 

What a let down.  That's the same thing that turned me off of CoH -- obvious repeition sucks.

• TheFurTheFur Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by popinjay

How do you ignore all this and continue playing the game? There's simply no immersion at all sadly.

Most people playing DCUO are busy fighting outside of the police stations or fighting in the arenas. They havent' really noticed that Lex Luthor's nightclub is basically the Metro Police station with a few twists. I don't think they care if they did either.

SoE has picked the perfect vehicle (mindless, inconsequential PvP) for the perfect platfrom (console first/PC second) for the perfect player (someone who'd pay $15/mo for a console game to fight in a box over tights).

lol love that pop, "Operating as intended."

What is also sad is that alot of the missions do not change from good guys or bad guys. The are the same mission with a differnet mentor and maybe fighting the character boss you were fighting WITH  from the other side. but that isn't always the case either.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by popinjay

People are busy out there fighting against eachother and having fun! Bland repetitiveness is the traditional MMO mainstay silly.  

To answer the OPs question, not that it was much of a question,  of course the police and nightclubs are the same,  it makes it easier for players to know where they are going.  Aside from that,  the instanced missions are all different. The mobs, of course are very similar, though not all of them are exactly the same.   

Most of the instanced level design is that way for a reason, because each instance has a set of objectives,  so you won't find them being the same like CoX,  where every mission was literally a cut and paste with enemies in different places.

Once you hit level 30, the gameplay difficulty goes through the roof,  I see a lot of players getting frustrated with the difficulty,  in fact,  I've already met a few that were.  Quite possibly the most challenging PvE end game I've ever gone up against,  and I don't mean that as necessarily a good thing either.   I ran about 20 high level missions last night, only completed 2 of them.   There are a lot of players that think you can just run in and tank everything,  and of course, me being a healer, I received a lot of flak for not keeping them up when they aggro a boss and all their minions and I only get 6 major group heals before my power is spent.

Anyways,  those higher levels,  everything is different including the enemies and bosses,  eventhough you may find yourself rerunning some of the missions you've done previously,  granted they will be excruciatingly tough and you may need a group.