Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Best F2P MMO

1235»

Comments

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Congrats to Turbine!

It is heartening to me to see that LoTRO took it,with its model that includes subs and pay-as-you-go options.

Also surprised to see EQ2's offering so low on the scores. Well... at the same time, not surprised.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• CelusiosCelusios Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by UndeadKing

Originally posted by Trinica

Omg, this game is absolutely TERRIBLE, who the hell voted this #1?

Originally posted by Celusios

Game sucks, whoever voted this the best F2P of the year lost my respect.

No body cares about your respect, or your opinions and questions since you are both obviously trolls. You don't even give a reason for why LotRO is "terrible" and "sucks". In the worlds of Gollum/Smeagol "Go away and NEVER come back!".

@Scottgun not sure if you're trying to diffuse the trolls or you're another LotRO hater who gives no reason for their dislike of the game.

Now granted the game does have it's short comings and even though I like it a lot and play it I'm not going to say it's perfect, but you know what it's not the worst game out there by a very very long shot. There's a lot of people who enjoy LotRO more than some of the other big names like WoW and there's some who like both WoW and LotRO. Stop trolling and declaring that LotRO is the "suxorest game in the world".  If you do dislike the game either keep your opinion to yourself cause none of us care, or explain the things that turned you off from the game.

I can give reasons. One, I jumped into the game and found the visuals and graphics pathetic. I kept giving it a chance considering it's a older title. The actual combat was a bore. The quest line you did was pathetic, and consisted of "SAVE DIS HOBBIT N DEN RUSH TO SAVE ANOTHUR!". Also I laugh at your intelligence, that by going against a game you're instantly a troll. You should go search up on what a troll is.

P.S. I can continue to rant on & give examples as to how this title sucks.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by Siecefire

I don't really understand the motivation for anyone to venture into a F2P game.  They are actually, (on average) far more expensive to play than the traditional monthly fee MMO.  The cash shops in most of these games only serve to unbalance the game...and run up the credit cards of some MMO players that are, quite frankly, addicted and shouldn't be anywhere near a credit card.

You might get to know what you are talking about before spouting nonsense.  Turbine's version of f2p is very inexpensive on the wallet, unless of course you are one of those people that have to level to 50 in a day.  If you take your time and enjoy the game it is quite cheap.  There are also no game chaning items in the shop either.

• happyfartshappyfarts Member UncommonPosts: 94

lotro totally deserved it! I still cant believe that such a great game is free to play!

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

No body cares about your respect, or your opinions and questions since you are both obviously trolls. You don't even give a reason for why LotRO is "terrible" and "sucks". In the worlds of Gollum/Smeagol "Go away and NEVER come back!".

@Scottgun not sure if you're trying to diffuse the trolls or you're another LotRO hater who gives no reason for their dislike of the game.

Now granted the game does have it's short comings and even though I like it a lot and play it I'm not going to say it's perfect, but you know what it's not the worst game out there by a very very long shot. There's a lot of people who enjoy LotRO more than some of the other big names like WoW and there's some who like both WoW and LotRO. Stop trolling and declaring that LotRO is the "suxorest game in the world".  If you do dislike the game either keep your opinion to yourself cause none of us care, or explain the things that turned you off from the game.

I can give reasons. One, I jumped into the game and found the visuals and graphics pathetic. I kept giving it a chance considering it's a older title. The actual combat was a bore. The quest line you did was pathetic, and consisted of "SAVE DIS HOBBIT N DEN RUSH TO SAVE ANOTHUR!". Also I laugh at your intelligence, that by going against a game you're instantly a troll. You should go search up on what a troll is.

You were doing so well until you started up on the personal attacks. That completely invalided your entire post.

Personally, I think LotRO more than deserved this award. They do F2P far better than companies who have been putting out these types of games for years, which may be due in part that they understand western audiences better.

<3

• PhirmwarePhirmware Member UncommonPosts: 43

I'm no LOTRO fanboi, but I'd have to say it's probably the best looking MMO I've played.  If you think they're pathetic, perhaps you'd like to site some examples of better looking MMO's?

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Is the game still tailored so that if you actually want to play the whole game you have to buy content?

• dlunasdlunas Member UncommonPosts: 206

Originally posted by Findariel

Well I guess I'm off to LOtRO as well, the only thing I really dislike is the extremely limited character customization, it's really very mediocre. I can't even make blonde elves -.-

Yes, you can.  Just pick a different heritage.  There are four to choose from.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Vindictus was really the only one that "blew me away" with it's content though.

Was certainly different, refreshing and unique in lots of ways.

But the "pay to play" was absurd, we're not talking about F2P games where it's just item mall stuff, it's "You want to go to a dungeon/area again today?  Give me money!!"

Still, I enjoyed it for a while, on top of not having to deal with foreign players which was a god send..

• gracefieldgracefield Member UncommonPosts: 279

Originally posted by hfztt

I hate the F2P vs. P2P discussion. I my oppinion it missed the point totally.

Its about Payed Playtime vs. Payed Contenet.

Personally I prefer Payed Content, as that is a lasting investment.

My 2 cents.

What does that even mean..?

• SteakfaceSteakface Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by reanor

Here is why LOTRO wins (just to add - I've played all of these games except "Wizard hmm 101" with LOTRO the longest of course as life subscription, to date - over 2 years for free. It was #1 even before it went F2P, at least it was for me.)":

Runes of Magic - super GRIND

5.6%

Everquest 2: Extended - GRIND

7.1%

Wizard101 - huh?

10.1%

Dungeons & Dragons Online - OLD and instance GRIND

14.3%

Vindictus - super GRIND

16.6%

Lord of the Rings Online - story driven MMO with a lot to do

46.2%

I take it you don't care about deeds? Unless you consider killing 1200 of the same monster not grinding.

• ShadowphreakShadowphreak Member Posts: 2

WTF are you guys on crack?

I played Lord and I felt like I was playing a game from 1990. Horrible. Small, ugly old ass graphics, boring boring boring.

Why isn't PERFECT WORLD INTERNATIONAL on this list? Its WAY better in EVERY aspect, and the latest patch added new classes (Mystic/Seeker), territories, and tons of additional content.

This list blows. Want to play a real free MMORPG try Perfect World: http://pwi.perfectworld.com/

Where pros play, not newbs.

PERFECT WORLD INTERNATIONAL - BEST MMORPG OUT THERE.

• theomega5000theomega5000 Member Posts: 22

GRATS TO LOTRO! I've read some of the comments and I look at LOTRO winning and I see both sides.

Free 2 play I believe means: You CAN play for free, beyond a few levels.

It doesn't mean max level, it doesn't mean that there MIGHT be some cost involved (upgrading to get end game), and it doesn't mean that an item mall may take over.

I think it's silly how people think f2p means that the game HAS TO BE 100% free, or it's not f2p. In that case, what company would exist? They earn NO MONEY. Logic > random rants