Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Best F2P MMO

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SoftKitnzSoftKitnz Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by Entropy14

Exaclty F2P is a huge lie, no game is really free, companies dont spend millions so you can enjoy it for free. 

If you want to do anything fun in these games you need to pay.  Shame these websites take part in this BS.

I dissagree. Other then when i played WOW for 2 years I havn't payed a cent.  I play LOTRO, DDO, Allods, Runes of Magic, Vendictus, Wonderland Online, Shiaya, ect and I have a blast.  Everything I want to do in the game has been free.   The quest are awesome and the graphics are great.   Have I payed a cent?  NO.  And i don't need to.  I'm having plenty of fun without it.  And I was able to get the riding skill in LOTRO without spending any of my money.   So totally not ture, in my opinion, what this person commented on.  Unless what you want to do in a game is different than me and what your version of what is fun for you is not mine, so be it.   We all have our differences and we all enjoy games for different reasons.  But in the end we are all the same.  We all play these games for fun and enjoyment.  And for me i just don't happen to need money. 

• cvgordycvgordy Member Posts: 28

I don't feel LOTRO should be allowed to win this "award" considering it was NOT a FTP game for years and years.  It only recently became FTP. 

This list and this award should have gone to a game DEVELOPED and RELEASED as a FTP title from the very beginning... Not some Failed Sub based game that had to convert to FTP.

• cvgordycvgordy Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by trouser03

Disagree with EQ2X ranking and the comments that it's an Pay to Win game. You can fully enjoy the game and all of the content for very little fee. I payed a 1-time $10 fee to get Silver which opens up the game quite a bit. Any further restrictions are easily and cheaply taken care of with Station Coin ... equiping fabled, scribing expert spells cost .25 cents. I'd much rather have the option of doing that than running into quests or zones that i can't access.

You already failed your own post... FREE to play means, FREE, as in you pay nothing.  Saying you pay 10 dollars here, and a few dollars there, bla bla bla.... makes it not free.

• hakub2hakub2 Member UncommonPosts: 10

never really liked LOTRO got bored quickly

• EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949

I wish I could try out LOTRO again. However I refuse to redownload a 10+ gig client. I have my original disc but they won't patch to the new client. :(

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

I hate the F2P vs. P2P discussion. I my oppinion it missed the point totally.

Its about Payed Playtime vs. Payed Contenet.

Personally I prefer Payed Content, as that is a lasting investment.

My 2 cents.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Originally posted by Effect

I wish I could try out LOTRO again. However I refuse to redownload a 10+ gig client. I have my original disc but they won't patch to the new client. :(

I'm not sure what is wrong with your PC, but you should point out that your problem is specific to you. Because I have had no problems patching to the new client over the years and never heard of anyone else having the problem you speak of. 

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Originally posted by hfztt

I hate the F2P vs. P2P discussion. I my opinion it missed the point totally.

Its about Paid Playtime vs. Paid Content.

Personally I prefer Paid Content, as that is a lasting investment.

My 2 cents.

Fixed. The real point actually is that when your P2P becomes F2P, how will you see your investment?

• MilanREWMilanREW Member UncommonPosts: 22

LOTRO is NOT f2p game!!!!

Lvl progress si locket after lvl28 so u MUST TO PAY to continue!!!

Again, THIS IS NOT F2P GAME!

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

you can pay and unlock new areas and whatever with lotro points you earn by doing quests and deeds wich requires no REAL MONEY . people are talking bullshit again here.

• AljaxAljax Member Posts: 41

I'm surprised Wizard 101 was on the list, I didn't know it was so popular. Especially more popular than Runes of Magic. :O

• RoborenRoboren Member Posts: 2

MilanREW, you are confused bro! Get your facts straight & you 2 can enjoy yourself for free :D

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,960

Well its not even F2P its Turbines own model, it was not F2P or even 'Freemium' at launch, thats why the game is so good.

The model encourages people to become P2P, so you can dip in and pay nothing or a little, but being P2p is value for money.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Originally posted by just1opinion

Does anyone responding to this thread know if say you long ago purchased Mines of Moria, does that allow me to play a runekeeper or do I still have to pay extra for that.  This pretty much makes my decision on playing it.  If I WOULD have to pay for that class.....how much would it set me back?

If you have MoM you can play Runekeeper without paying anything extra.

Grats to Turbine, first MMO of the year from pc gamer and now best f2p here.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

Not surprising at all. As much as I dislike Turbine and what they did to LOTRO, their FTP model is by far the only model that deserves this name. Especially old players who used to subscribe and have multiple high level chars (like me), can now play completely free, and unlock the game as they go, with points earned by completing deeds. That is what the other games lack, the ability to earn store cash in game. If Everquest 2 had this option, it might have very well made 2nd spot. Eq2x's limits on gameplay are simply too frustrating. None of the other games comes even close to LOTRO and EQ2X, its a completely different league. I will hold my opinion about Vindictus until it's released in EU, but from what I read and hear it is not a real MMO, more like online hack and slash so..

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Originally posted by MilanREW

This! Pay or Grind deeds (for AGES).. EQ2X wins for me anyway, for the casual player its a much better free option (I understand that hardcore must subscribe to be any good at endgame).

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279

Gratz Turbine, LOTRO wins this section by a mile because of two things. A quality game combined with a common sense pricing structure.

• tentarotentaro Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by reanor

Here is why LOTRO wins (just to add - I've played all of these games except "Wizard hmm 101" with LOTRO the longest of course as life subscription, to date - over 2 years for free. It was #1 even before it went F2P, at least it was for me.)":

Runes of Magic - super GRIND

5.6%

Everquest 2: Extended - GRIND

7.1%

Wizard101 - huh?

10.1%

Dungeons & Dragons Online - OLD and instance GRIND

14.3%

Vindictus - super GRIND

16.6%

Lord of the Rings Online - story driven MMO with a lot to do

46.2%

Not exactly sure where you get your info from btu I have NEVER GRINDED in Runes of Magic and while LotRO might be a "story driven MMO with lots to do" that is a total opinion and not fact. Every MMO has story it just depends on the writers whether it is good or not.

• GralyndrGralyndr Member Posts: 14

This poll is rather biased.  Where are all these other F2P games that have advertising banner all over the place?  Wizard 101?  Really?  I played the free trail with my kids and got teh sub when the time ran out for a bit.  Got repeative and left.  RoM?  Yeah, got bored there too.  It's all really in the eye of the beholder but that list is way off inleft field.  There's exactly how many F2P games out and this is what we had to choose from? 

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Originally posted by MilanREW

Utter nonsense. You can earn turbine points by completing in-game stuff. You can play the game to the fullest without spending a dime if you really want to, the only different being that you'll need to be more of a completionist that the people who buy points/subs.

<3

• FindarielFindariel Member UncommonPosts: 222

Well I guess I'm off to LOtRO as well, the only thing I really dislike is the extremely limited character customization, it's really very mediocre. I can't even make blonde elves -.-

• RrysRrys Member UncommonPosts: 5

If SOE had extended F2P to all of their EQ2 servers, I would be playing EQ2 as well as LOTRO.  And if they'd make Vanguard F2P, I'd be playing there as well.  And SOE would once again be getting at least a little of my money, because I'd want some of the extras.

• GameophobicGameophobic Member Posts: 13

Couldn't care less if lotro isn't what some people call F2P, it's obvious from their posting and other people's that they really haven't tried to see how F2P it is or what can be done. What they really are saying is, it isn't a F2PTWIT (free to play the way I tried). In the hope of getting passed censorship it's a little like saying there are only 2 models for sex, marriage and prostitution or F2L and P2L (sure you can work out the L). P2L is simple but is marriage really F2L or are you not always paying for something somehow? There are some who will manage to live perfectly F2L and even some F2Lers who will manage or claim to achieve P2beL. But hey, guess what, most people are celebate and smart enough to decide how much they like F2L and P2L and end up doing a bit of both as and when they like something. Enjoy whatever game you're into and stop putting down games just because they don't fit the definition you have of something. I've never seen a forum debating whether a stock broker's free trades are really free, what the heck does it matter to you what someone else pays for their choice?

• StryxStryx Member Posts: 2

Lotro is  not free to play.