Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Best F2P MMO

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The month of December has come and gone, taking 2010 with it. Some say good riddance, some look back fondly, but no matter how you slice it, that puppy’s behind us and we’re all moving forward to 2011. For the team here at MMORPG.com, we’ve just got one tiny loose thread to tie up before we officially start the new year: We have to announce the winners of the 2010 MMORPG.com Reader’s Choice Awards! Today we reveal the award for best F2P MMO.

This year, our categories were: Game of the Year, New Game of the Year, Most Innovative, Most Improved, Best F2P, Favorite Company, Biggest News Story, Most Anticipated, and the newest, and most dubious, addition to our prizes, Biggest Disappointment.

Read more to find out which game takes home the MMORPG.com 2010 Award: Best F2P MMO.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Not much suprise here

Well deserved !

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

No surprise here either. Gratz to Turbine and the LotRo team. Good job!

...also no surprise that EQ2X is on the 5th spot there :D

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Congratz to turbine, and lotro. I just wish I could find enjoyment in the game :/ Such a beautiful world.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I guess what we can learn from this is that this website gets visited by a lot of LOTRO players and a lot of SOE haters :)

Im not saying that LOTRO didnt deserve to win of course :p Voters decided.

It does seem more of a popularity poll then an actual best of poll though. Free experience for RoM and EQ2X is not that bad compared to LOTRO as the results would indicate. I havent played the others, so I cant say anything about those.

• JLVDBJLVDB Member Posts: 281

Grtz to Turbine for turning a P2P game into something not quite defined yet.

Other alternatives would have been:

Free to pay

Pay to win

Pay to level

Pay to quest.

Pay to get above 2G

Pay more to Play less , oh wait that's another category.

-

For all those enjoying it, don't look at the credit card too often, free was never this expensive.

• DistilerDistiler Member Posts: 416

I really find hard to understand how EQ2 extended got only 7.1%. Objectivelly speaking, you have there the biggest, most varied, with more content, etc of all those in the list. I might give LOTRO a 2nd because quests are very well put, but being a somewhat fun game, it's such a simple mmo...

• VittoriosoVittorioso Member UncommonPosts: 33

LOTRO is a good game, but there is just one thing that doesnt let me play it, you must move your char to the direccion of the enemy to attack him.... isnt like games like Lineage 2 or WoW, where your char attacks directly....

Well, for that reason, I dont play LOTRO anymore xD

L2 FTW  ^ ^

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by Vittorioso

LOTRO is a good game, but there is just one thing that doesnt let me play it, you must move your char to the direccion of the enemy to attack him.... isnt like games like Lineage 2 or WoW, where your char attacks directly....

Well, for that reason, I dont play LOTRO anymore xD

L2 FTW  ^ ^

There's an option in your settings in LotRo to move to the monster you attack...

I agree that L2 >>> LotRo, but then again, L2 isn't F2P, and it's invested by bots and RMT :( If there were less bots and less RMT I'd resub and stay in L2 till TERA's launch ;-)

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

@JLVDB how about calling it Play to win or Play to unlock ?

I have not spent a single cent on this game and still I have unlocked this just by playing:

3rd character slot

3 horse riding skills

Evendim, Trollshaws, North Downs, Lone-lands

4th inventory bag

currency cap unlock

Maybe I will buy turbine points in the future but atm I dont feel I need to.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

Lord of the Rings deserves it even though I would much rather play DDO lol

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• F2PMMOF2PMMO Member UncommonPosts: 122

So now LoTRo is first among equals. Grtz.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I will again point out that Wizard 101 does not belong on this list, you can only play to level 10 before you have to subscribe.  Not to say it is not a good game, just that it is basically a subscription game with a free trial.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Compared to those games, how could it not be the best ? It isn't saying much at all.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Well deserved win but what I found surprising is that with all the talk on this site in recent months about which f2p is better LOTRO or EQ2X is that EQ2X was beaten out by many lesser known titles and there is no comparison between the number of votes for LOTRO and Eq2X.

I think it just backs up what I've said all along it is alot easier to play LOTRO for free than it is to play EQ2X which comes off to me much more like a system designed to push you into spending money if you like the game than lotro does.  I'm sure the debate won't die as many people will come here and make excuses for why LOTRO handled SOE's game so easily but I can look back again and relish the fact that I'm not the only one who has found satisfaction with what Turbine has done to the game year after year.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

A more accurate description for LotRO would be "pay as you go" However, none of the so called F2P games are really free if you want a fully featured gaming experience. Of the ones listed, LotRO is indisputably the best of the bunch by a mile.

Except of course, there are always people ready to dispute anything on mmorpg.com ....   lol

• wildtalentwildtalent Member UncommonPosts: 380

for all of you calling it pay to win or pay as you go please observer the post up towards the top where a player lists all of his unlocked accomplishments and never paid a dime. 

sorry, to rant a little but I get a little upset about people running their mouths about this game that its not really free and never actually attempting the completely free to play option.  Kudos to Lotro and kudos to Nasa and his post. 

me personally I do prefer to buy points or occasionaly sub, but facts are facts people

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Exaclty F2P is a huge lie, no game is really free, companies dont spend millions so you can enjoy it for free. 

If you want to do anything fun in these games you need to pay.  Shame these websites take part in this BS.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I play both lotro and eq2x.  EQ2X just seems (to me) to have worse graphics, worse gameplay, worse everything.  I'm not saying it's the worst, but it's not as good as lotro.  Lotro feels like it has a nice polish on it.  Some people like Flat Black paint, others like Mirrored-finish Jet Black paint,  it's a matter of taste.  I still P2P on lotro, so I don't know how it is when spending money on eq2x, so maybe it's better than what I've experienced.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

LOTRO is pretty much the only MMO I've played so far and I got bored of it very quickly.

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

Well earned!

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

Here is why LOTRO wins (just to add - I've played all of these games except "Wizard hmm 101" with LOTRO the longest of course as life subscription, to date - over 2 years for free. It was #1 even before it went F2P, at least it was for me.)":

Runes of Magic - super GRIND

5.6%

Everquest 2: Extended - GRIND

7.1%

Wizard101 - huh?

10.1%

Dungeons & Dragons Online - OLD and instance GRIND

14.3%

Vindictus - super GRIND

16.6%

Lord of the Rings Online - story driven MMO with a lot to do

46.2%

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

Kind of a no-brainer. Turbine's "Freemium" model is by leaps and bounds the best business "F2P" model for both the customer and the company. Well deserved Turbine, good on you and keep it up! 

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Having played lotro since release and also eq2x, imo lotro wins hands dowwn..not just because it has a better story driven content it is also that lotro gives you the oportunity to get to max lvl without costing you a fortune unlike eq2x which basically wants your money and they take every oportunity to grab it off you.not saying that i dont  like eq2,i think its a great game .

• tanektanek Member UncommonPosts: 63

Originally posted by reanor

Here is why LOTRO wins (just to add - I've played all of these games except "Wizard hmm 101" with LOTRO the longest of course as life subscription, to date - over 2 years for free. It was #1 even before it went F2P, at least it was for me.)":

Runes of Magic - super GRIND

5.6%

Everquest 2: Extended - GRIND

7.1%

Wizard101 - huh?

10.1%

Dungeons & Dragons Online - OLD and instance GRIND

14.3%

Vindictus - super GRIND

16.6%

Lord of the Rings Online - story driven MMO with a lot to do

46.2%

I am a big fan of LOTRO and do think it deserved the win on this list, but there is still plenty of grind to be found.  Slayer deeds, class skill deeds, task quests, and legendary items to name some areas.

Of the other games on the list, I really only played DDO and EQ2X, though, so it may be a matter of degree.  :)

• Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Member UncommonPosts: 335

I've just recently started playing both LOTRO and DDO and theyre both alot of fun. Kudos to Turbine for allowing people to enjoy both of those games for free   :D