Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My first impression playing TERA Open Beta

Comments

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Doesnt matter to me, Terra could be the next coming of Christ for MMO's (which I highly doubt) and I still wouldnt play because ive been burnt by every localized Asian MMO to hit this side of the Pacific.  In fact they would have to pay me to play before I even lifted a finger to even do one ounce of 'research' into their MMO.  I'll stick to Western Games designed by western companies like SWTOR or RIFT.

And I for one will keep trying anything that comes out of Asia.

To me, their artists are heads and shoulders above anything I've seen so far in the West. Regarding avatar and world/gear/overall design.

But thank you for your post. And now what?

• SomnicideSomnicide Member Posts: 67

Doesnt matter to me, Terra could be the next coming of Christ for MMO's (which I highly doubt) and I still wouldnt play because ive been burnt by every localized Asian MMO to hit this side of the Pacific.  In fact they would have to pay me to play before I even lifted a finger to even do one ounce of 'research' into their MMO.  I'll stick to Western Games designed by western companies like SWTOR or RIFT.

Right...... because Warhammer, APB, STO, AoC, and especially Rift werent all awful. Korean games arent the only bad games, son. Quit being delusional and xenophobic.

Sup.

Originally posted by lkc673

who was comparing this game to rift saying tera is wayyyy better making rift look like crap??  okay, tera offers great action combat system and beautiful graphic right? is that it?? i think rift offers a bit more. so what it doesnt feel like a grind because it has beautiful graphic, thats the biggest BS ive ever heard?? 

LOL no. It doesnt feel like a grind because the combat is actually fun to play. Unlike Rift. What does Rift have new to offer? Dynamic rifts? Good joke there.

Sup.

• Originally posted by Zylaxx I'll stick to Western Games designed by western companies like SWTOR or RIFT.

And we have to care? This is the Tera forum and there is people interested in Tera in the first place, no need to spread so much negativity if you wont play anyway in the first place.
    I find rift a wow ripoff standard TAB target skillfest, but i don't go in the rift forum and start talking shit to the game, because i don't care about rift and i will never care. A bit of maturity and common sense please?

Said this have fun in rift. Cya. :)

• omniskillzomniskillz Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by lkc673

who was comparing this game to rift saying tera is wayyyy better making rift look like crap??  okay, tera offers great action combat system and beautiful graphic right? is that it?? i think rift offers a bit more. so what it doesnt feel like a grind because it has beautiful graphic, thats the biggest BS ive ever heard?? 

I've played the recent rift beta 4 event. 0 - 22 necro/chloro/dom

rift was grindier. yes it seems less grindy if you enjoyed going to a rift to kill mobs to clear the area of the "rift" but isnt that a gimmky way of grinding out levels when the quests run out. but i will say generally I was a level ahead of the quest suggested level.

in tera obt i am usually 2 levels ahead of the level suggestion for the quest.

tera feels new, is new. rift does not. rift feels like someone looked at all the game out right now, decided to fix their problems and repackage it. thats why it seems so polished.

the soul tree system adds to the fun of rift. rift is a decent game but brings nothing new to the table.

• RuinalRuinal Member Posts: 195

So excited by the fact he has to aim to hit a mob? Try Darkfall, *all* attacks, spells and abilities are aimed. Not AAA graphics, but the gameplay is still unmatched by anything else out there.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Rift is just the 2011 WOW / Warhammer Clone and yes I am a VIP Day 1 Beta Tester.

• lordpenquinlordpenquin Member Posts: 129

Originally posted by dr1ftx3

Nope, not in TERA.  You need to work for those quests, sometimes grinding out 40+ mobs on a 15 item quest.  They make it so you don't even realize you're grinding while you are! 

Oh Joy!  Having to kill FOURTY MOBS to get 15 for a quest sounds fantastic! 

I would think that after killing 30 fraking mobs I would start to think that I was playing a typical korean grinder.  I don't care if they disguise the grinding into quests, it's still grinding...  

Thanks for you impressions.  Now I know to avoid this game.

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

While I hear they will localise the game including quests/drops etc, the grind (and to a smaller extent the graphic style) turn me off...

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• imlazyxdimlazyxd Member UncommonPosts: 81

Originally posted by lordpenquin

Nope, not in TERA.  You need to work for those quests, sometimes grinding out 40+ mobs on a 15 item quest.  They make it so you don't even realize you're grinding while you are! 

I would think that after killing 30 fraking mobs I would start to think that I was playing a typical korean grinder.  I don't care if they disguise the grinding into quests, it's still grinding...  

Hahaha... Actually glad that you not gonna play the game. What he really meant was that grinding is actually fun, and less repetitive. I've been playing the game for 2 days now, and the so call "grind" isn't there... WHY? BECAUSE it's actually an action MMORPG... What part of action do you not understand? You actually have to move around and dodge enemies and aim your damn attacks, and successfully dealing a blow is quite satisfying in this game. The action in this game overshadows grinding, and "grinding" is a different experience, and NOT like the Old mmo where you click and highlight a target and press keys until it disappears. In TERA you actually have to time and aim your attacks, and the character animation and visuals are "NiCceeeeceee". *flamboyant*

What I meant by "successfully dealing a blow is quite satisfying in this game" just think of God of Wars, Dynasty warriors, Devil may cry, Darksiders, Bayonetta, and more. But, just not as exaggerating with air combos, and finishing moves... (would that ruin the game...?) 

The Action is Real, and I believe it's the Highlight of the game. 

• YilelienYilelien Member UncommonPosts: 324

thanks for the read!

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

Originally posted by lordpenquin

yea they kinda make you work for your quests, i don't like it either. When i get a quest i like it so i kill 1 mob and finish quest and get xp then i get max level and end game and i can tell all my friends im max level and i beat the game.

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601

This game sounds freakishly perfect for me. I love everything that has been described, especially the mob killing. Rift is just horrible for their quests and combat, and TERA sounds like the exact opposite... I pray it won't disappoint, but basically every MMO has disappointed me the last few years. :(

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

My personal hype increased, if only by a bit. And that puts it above Rift. Now I like to know more about the system requirements, and optimization, because it looks really demanding so far.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Sounds good, though what we are leaving a bit on the table as a trade-off, like lack of character customization.  I know we have to give-up some to support 100's of players in a locatlized area simultaneously.  Thats probably the reason.

Graphics always looked good to me; it's a different art-style which I thought was clean, pleasent and sharp for its' look.

I'm not a fan of thousands of quests; that usually relates to grind.  However a couple other studios are introducing a departure from 'solo-centric' generic and static quests, which are not massively-multiplayer synergistic, which are community fracturing and which we've been beaten down to accept as mind-numbing game-play; those things of which made me tired of most mmo's 3-6 months out (except for some more sandboxy games).

So, I'm wondering if En Masse, as is a couple other studios, are developing massively public content, open-world dynamic and community-centric collaberative game-play content to break-up and lessen that tedium of conventional questing grind.

• bygeorgebygeorge Member UncommonPosts: 104

Originally posted by Alot

My personal hype increased, if only by a bit. And that puts it above Rift. Now I like to know more about the system requirements, and optimization, because it looks really demanding so far.

Although not finalized, TERA's estimated minimum system requirements are:

• Intel Core Duo 2 Processor (or equivalent) or better

• 2 GB of RAM or greater

• NVidia GeForce 7600 / ATI Radeon X1800 GTO (or equivalent) or better

• Originally posted by Alot

Like Bygeorge said is very low demanding, i played fine at max settings with low level shadows (shadows, expecially real time ones are always demanding in every game) with my geforce 9800 GTX 512 mb ram, 4 gig ddr2 ram and a core duo E8400 3 Ghz, direct 9 under win xp sp3.
    Is very well optimized and stable.

• skoupidiskoupidi Member UncommonPosts: 244

Originally posted by JayFiveAlive

This game sounds freakishly perfect for me. I love everything that has been described, especially the mob killing. Rift is just horrible for their quests and combat, and TERA sounds like the exact opposite... I pray it won't disappoint, but basically every MMO has disappointed me the last few years. :(

Trust me Tera makes Rift look like a kindergarden product. Ive participated in all of the Rift beta events and today i logged in to Tera for the first time.It was breathtaking and i just couldnt stop playing it.Its the first mmo after wow's release period that i cant wait to wake up and play again.So goodnight "i must" get my dose of Tera in 8 hours again.

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770

Originally posted by skoupidi

Trust me Tera makes Rift look like a kindergarden product. Ive participated in all of the Rift beta events and today i logged in to Tera for the first time.It was breathtaking and i just couldnt stop playing it.Its the first mmo after wow's release period that i cant wait to wake up and play again.So goodnight "i must" get my dose of Tera in 8 hours again.

If you like Asian AOE train grinders with GIGANTIC axes and over the top animation then yes you will love Tera...

Good luck with that i'll stick with Rift for now....

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385

Those screenshots look meh to me.  Look like every other Korean F2P out there.  I will keep an eye on it though, because I like all games.  I love the guy above me with a HUGE TERA signature asking basic game questions.  Maybe you need to do more research before splattering that signature everywhere.

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

Originally posted by BlackUhuru

Originally posted by skoupidi

If you like Asian AOE train grinders with GIGANTIC axes and over the top animation then yes you will love Tera...

Good luck with that i'll stick with Rift for now....

If you like what you have been playing the last 10 years but even more boring then yes, you should stick to it. It's a shame devs can't produce proper walking or sheathing animations in the year 2011, indie companies with 100k capital can do better. Tera looks and plays better imo and at the very least doesn't have a bland and dull looking world that causes depression.

• sn0wblind00sn0wblind00 Member UncommonPosts: 388

Originally posted by Somnicide

Right...... because Warhammer, APB, STO, AoC, and especially Rift werent all awful. Korean games arent the only bad games, son. Quit being delusional and xenophobic.

And lately it seems like Asia games are offering the only creativity.  Western audiences are getting a lot of redone themes with the same mechanics, while some big money in china/korea is starting to reach the innovation stage now that investors have been proven with profits.

Looking forward to Tera and Archeage.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Originally posted by gauge2k3

Disclaimer:  I will not explain or elaborate on how to play the beta, if you really want to, you will find a way.

I'll tell you.  You need to illegaly obtain a legitimate korean social security number (what we call it).  Which, if you don't speak or read korean very well, is exeactly what you did.

or have a korean friend make you an account

Originally posted by BlackUhuru If you like Asian AOE train grinders with GIGANTIC axes and over the top animation then yes you will love Tera...Good luck with that i'll stick with Rift for now....

So wait. Someone PLAYING THE GAME who also played all of Rifts betas....says Rift felt grindier than TERA. And you say you'll stick to Rift because TERA is a grind game?

ITT: People playing TERA saying its really fun. People not playing TERA covering their ears and saying 'Naaah naaah its a grinnnder!'

Good job guys lol.

Sup.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Originally posted by Somnicide

Originally posted by BlackUhuru If you like Asian AOE train grinders with GIGANTIC axes and over the top animation then yes you will love Tera...Good luck with that i'll stick with Rift for now....

So wait. Someone PLAYING THE GAME who also played all of Rifts betas....says Rift felt grindier than TERA. And you say you'll stick to Rift because TERA is a grind game?

ITT: People playing TERA saying its really fun. People not playing TERA covering their ears and saying 'Naaah naaah its a grinnnder!'

Good job guys lol.

Tera is superior to Rift in every way. Not even close.

This discussion has been closed.