Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My first impression playing TERA Open Beta

Comments

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

oh .. my .. god.. you mean i have to KILL mobs to get xp? This is outrageous. I expected to log in and finish 1 quest and end game.

• ShadewalkerShadewalker Member Posts: 299

Originally posted by charos

Originally posted by DKLond

So it's a beautiful grinder that didn't feel like a grind in the short time you played?

Asian MMOs are all about the grind, and no amount of beauty will change that.

Some people don't mind working when playing, and that's great.

I mind, so this isn't for me.

But thanks for the write-up! :)

Sir pliz actualy try the game before u bash it and make a troll out of ur self ty

^_^

At least he writes in grown-up English, not kiddy-speak.

• Originally posted by DKLondIf Tera ends up not being a grind, based on the general western perception, I will acknowledge and declare myself wrong.

While i agree with you about redundand task (i don't like grind endlessy the same spot for hours) please don't speak for all but speak for yourself, i'm a westerer but i don't have your same extremist vision about the matter, not all think the same way as you. So don't use "west perception" but use "my personal perception".
    You don't have correct numbers to claim that majority of westerers think in your same way.

• omniskillzomniskillz Member Posts: 48

game is not grindy at all. 0  - 20 was maybe in 12 hours of playtime. there are alot of quests and its the quests that give you alot of experience. if you decided  to just kill mobs wow i dont know.

• Originally posted by omniskillz
    game is not grindy at all. 0  - 20 was maybe in 12 hours of playtime. there are alot of quests and its the quests that give you alot of experience. if you decided  to just kill mobs wow i dont know.

I see but you talk with some closed minded people here that belong to another different niche of west mmo and for this reason they will never play this game anyway, even if the grind raise to 0 they will find something else, like asian design, oversize weapons, gargeous colours, etc... no matter how good the game will be.

Ah forget, gz for the streaming, pretty entertain. :D

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Originally posted by omniskillz

That is quicker than a new player can do 0 - 20 in Rift :)

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

I'll be giving it a shot, though I'm still iffy on if I actually want to subscribe. Tera just seems to be another one of those mmos that take the now standard MMORPG mold and adds one extra item to repackage and sell.

Just remember this type of combat isn't anything new, RYL did this half a decade ago, a game ahead of its time, and riddled with drama and lawsuits. That game sunk faster than Hellgate, though it was a great concept and fun while it lasted.

I guess after being jaded so hard by WoW I'm stuck waiting for that something new that will lift the curse.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Obviously this will change for the west, but right now how dependant is the game on RNG?

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Well if the game takes you from village to village and you go and click on the guy with a "!" above his head and go get pelts, bones, teeth, or whatever by killing random mobs across the countryside then I won't bother leveling to 20. I don't know why people seem to love this so much but it drives me insane and having any kind of glowing "!" or "?" above any NPCs head just irritates me.

If you are recquired to quest to gain xp I'm ok with that but I like my quests more involved. Maybe I have to go to the bottum of a dungeon to get something from a coffer and along the way I have to slotter dozens of wolves, ghouls, or wyverns. Or maybe I need to find and kill some boss of a rabbid clan of ogres. That kind of stuff is ok with me, but if I'm going to just roam across the countryside I'd rather choose what I'm going to kill. Or get a party and we can pull mobs to us and slaughter then there en mass. 

Originally posted by k11keeper

Well if the game takes you from village to village and you go and click on the guy with a "!" above his head and go get pelts, bones, teeth, or whatever by killing random mobs across the countryside then I won't bother leveling to 20. I don't know why people seem to love this so much but it drives me insane and having any kind of glowing "!" or "?" above any NPCs head just irritates me.

If you are recquired to quest to gain xp I'm ok with that but I like my quests more involved. Maybe I have to go to the bottum of a dungeon to get something from a coffer and along the way I have to slotter dozens of wolves, ghouls, or wyverns. Or maybe I need to find and kill some boss of a rabbid clan of ogres. That kind of stuff is ok with me, but if I'm going to just roam across the countryside I'd rather choose what I'm going to kill. Or get a party and we can pull mobs to us and slaughter then there en mass. 

while i share your view, in this age of instant gratification its not viable.

having quests as you would like would mean people would take the time, to read the quest dialog and actually taking time to look for the named NPCs.

exclamation/question marks are for the non quest reading people. perhaps they could have an option to show quest givers or to not in game.

but to get back to your point, the game can be involved as much as you want to involve yourself. En Masse is doing its best to make the lore and quest dialogue engaging and fun as possible. if you like reading, learning about the world then you can really enjoy the game.

if the combat doesnt strike your fancy to keep you inthe game if the questing doesnt. you might be waiting longer for your game.

this is THE BEST mmorpg ever.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

It may be too early to ask about this since the beta just started but can you talk at all about the Political System, Housing, Cratting or Mounts? The other thing I would like to know is can you tell me if Tera is linear where you are forced to go down a single path or is the game more open like can I just log on get a group going and just go explore the world not knowing what we may find or do. Thanks in advanceimage

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

The funny thing about these forum reviews is that they all are very biased...

I dont know if I trust in them or not.... I guess I would have to play it and see for myself xD

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174

this game is not a grind at all. It is fully westernized. Aion was a grind.

I got to 17 in about 10 hours

Originally posted by dinams

The funny thing about these forum reviews is that they all are very biased...

I dont know if I trust in them or not.... I guess I would have to play it and see for myself xD

learn what the word biased means before you use it.

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Can we please define grind? Why do we mesure how we enjoy the game by leveling fast? When are we going to go back to enjoying content? I mean I understand if it take an unusual amount of time to level but geez enjoy the ride!

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Hmm okay so combat system is cross hair based and the graphics are great.  You touched on quests, do they flow well together? How is the story? would it be normal for someone to read them or just skip past them?  I'm curious because i'm a major story type person.  If it's just click accept and move on, then i get bored (thats just how i am)

The cross hair system sounds interesting, but won't that get annoying after a while? Having to aim for 8 hours trying to hit a mob, especially if lag gets involved, (i say this cause i had lag in SWG when in space and trying to hit a ship moving was killer and not in a good way). now i know lag isn't part of the core game but it does happen and i'm wondering if that will be a problem when it comes to predicting moves and trying to aim to attack.  Not to mention some might not like all the work (yeah i know it's a game, trying to aim for 8 hours may get annoying for some people) of trying to aim at a mob and hoping it will hit.

Nothing bad here, just a few concerns i have.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

Originally posted by whilan

Hmm okay so combat system is cross hair based and the graphics are great.  You touched on quests, do they flow well together? How is the story? would it be normal for someone to read them or just skip past them?  I'm curious because i'm a major story type person.  If it's just click accept and move on, then i get bored (thats just how i am)

The cross hair system sounds interesting, but won't that get annoying after a while? Having to aim for 8 hours trying to hit a mob, especially if lag gets involved, (i say this cause i had lag in SWG when in space and trying to hit a ship moving was killer and not in a good way). now i know lag isn't part of the core game but it does happen and i'm wondering if that will be a problem when it comes to predicting moves and trying to aim to attack.  Not to mention some might not like all the work (yeah i know it's a game, trying to aim for 8 hours may get annoying for some people) of trying to aim at a mob and hoping it will hit.

Nothing bad here, just a few concerns i have.

aiming is not as tedious as u would think. its freelook with a crosshair in the middle. it can get tiring, but thats anything if u do it for a prolonged period of time. playing 8 hours straight of anything is a grind on ur body.

i said this before with quests, u can just click click and move on, or you can read the story and get involved, its up to u. its there to be enjoyed or ignored. as someone stated above learn 2 slow down and enjoy the journey instead of trying to level up or finish things as fast as possible.

i dont see lag as an issue.

• SomnicideSomnicide Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by whilan

Well, its in Korean. So you wouldnt be able to catch much of the storyline outside of cutscenes.

Sup.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

This is a wonderful time to be a fan of action based combat. First, there's DCUO, for sci-fi, non fantasy stuff, then there's Tera for the fantasy stuff :)

• lkc673lkc673 Member Posts: 149

who was comparing this game to rift saying tera is wayyyy better making rift look like crap??  okay, tera offers great action combat system and beautiful graphic right? is that it?? i think rift offers a bit more. so what it doesnt feel like a grind because it has beautiful graphic, thats the biggest BS ive ever heard?? 

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Doesnt matter to me, Terra could be the next coming of Christ for MMO's (which I highly doubt) and I still wouldnt play because ive been burnt by every localized Asian MMO to hit this side of the Pacific.  In fact they would have to pay me to play before I even lifted a finger to even do one ounce of 'research' into their MMO.  I'll stick to Western Games designed by western companies like SWTOR or RIFT.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

A grind is not defined by how quickly you get to max level.

A grind is defined by how much of your time you truly enjoy, versus how much time you spend doing things so you can GET to truly enjoy the game.

This is about perception.

No MMO, so far, has been without a measure of grind - and it's all so subjective. The "perfect" MMO would be 100% enjoyment - but I don't think any game on the planet has succeeded in that way.

Until it's out - we can't know, and people are so easily swayed by the pretty pixels and even the worst MMOs get a ton of praise pre-release. As you can see from some of the reactions in this thread, some people get pissed at others because they don't share their opinions. Like little children who're in denial about their new toy not necessarily being perfect.

So, we'll just have to wait until we can be certain.

But I still smell the grind a mile off ;)

Call it a feeling. Still, I'd love to be wrong about this.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Doesnt matter to me, Terra could be the next coming of Christ for MMO's (which I highly doubt) and I still wouldnt play because ive been burnt by every localized Asian MMO to hit this side of the Pacific.  In fact they would have to pay me to play before I even lifted a finger to even do one ounce of 'research' into their MMO.  I'll stick to Western Games designed by western companies like SWTOR or RIFT.

*shrugs* To me the continent of origin isn't a criterium. I've been burned on WAR and AoC as well and those were western developments.

This discussion has been closed.