Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Most Improved MMO

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The month of December has come and gone, taking 2010 with it. Some say good riddance, some look back fondly, but no matter how you slice it, that puppy’s behind us and we’re all moving forward to 2011. For the team here at MMORPG.com, we’ve just got one tiny loose thread to tie up before we officially start the new year: We have to announce the winners of the 2010 MMORPG.com Reader’s Choice Awards! Today we reveal the Most Improved MMO of the year.

One of the best features of an MMO, and what keeps me constantly coming back to the genre in my play time is the fact that these games are ever-evolving. The game that players are faced with at launch will be a different beast entirely six months, one year, two years, etc. from then.

Read more of the MMORPG.com 2010 Awards: Most Improved MMO.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Even though I don't play WoW, I find this a logical win. However, what I don't find logical is AoC getting so many votes. I played it numerous times (last time was a few months back), but how the hey could people vote for that game?

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

I didn't choose any of them because I couldn't. None of them deserve it. They are just old games trying to stay relevant. Honestly, I don't think there was a single game this year that deserved "most improved".

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Wow is awesome the new zones have improved graphics and the graphics are supreme when u crank it to ultra with dx 11 test.

Lets hope for a full dx 11 support in the upcoming expansion.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

WoW deserves the win for the changes to the 1-60 game.  awesome stuff.  Now if they would only change the 60-80 to match it and to completely change or ADD to the endgame because at this point, Wow endgame is the worst experience I haver EVER had in an MMO.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

WoW has improved alot with cataclysm, but Lotro is still better in my book :)

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

WoW wins an award on mmorpg.com? Going to look outside for flying pigs. Well done Blizz.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by spookydom

WoW wins an award on mmorpg.com? Going to look outside for flying pigs. Well done Blizz.

We have cats and dogs sleeping together over my way. 

Yeah, I was a bit surprised to see WOW take it away, but in playing Cataclysm I can't say its misplaced.  The new expansion does a lot of things very well and has been worth returning to, at least for a little while.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

I agree that graphics have improved a bit, most noticably the terrain. I got the cata trial yesterday, currently playing a goblin in the 10s and the quests are amazing. Sure the xpac didn't bring out something extra-ordinary but it improved the game in every way and IMO it's great once again.

• TimmeyhTimmeyh Member Posts: 166

None of the awards are of any value since most gamers will always vote on theyr own mmo nomatter what (except in a worst mmo award since then theyl just blindly vote for the other popular game they DONT play or just dont understand... like EvE)

I tried wow when cata came out and it was ok from 80 to 85, but the raiding was just boring like TBC and Wotlk.

I regulary play Eve and Fallen Earth from time to time, but still i rly cant vote fore anything since i havent tried all of the games on the poll.

its like asking a civilian in North Korea  to vote for the best internet site. they only know of the sites they are allowed to see (if they got internet at all...)

• YauchyYauchy Member UncommonPosts: 298

Wait we are talking about WoW's graphics as improvement?  Man, folks must have lowered expectations - look at the water , gasp, then immediate turn to a tree and gasp again (in horror).  

I guess I'd give it most improved for revitalizing and rehashing old content into something at least now interesting once again (something that should of been done with every expansion, imo) but overall if WoW is most improved, it just re-itterates how bad 2010 really was for MMOs.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Most MMOs don't seem to improve at all anymore, not the way they used to.  Expansions seem to be a thing of the past, for the most part, with the obvious exceptions.  Seems like the smaller MMOs just can't afford to keep building, or maybe its considered more profitable to back new games rather than the expansion of old ones?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

No FFXI on the list? Way to go.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

While at first glance I was all "wow great job funcom rotgs is a great expansion"....after a few hours in the new zone i quickly found it an absolute souless grindfest and unsubscribed. 

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• LumanilLumanil Member Posts: 110

Originally posted by Sfaliara

I agree that graphics have improved a bit, most noticably the terrain. I got the cata trial yesterday, currently playing a goblin in the 10s and the quests are amazing. Sure the xpac didn't bring out something extra-ordinary but it improved the game in every way and IMO it's great once again.

The quests are amazing ??? Did they add "Kill 12 xxx-mobs..." to the "Kill 8 xxx-mobs..." and "Kill 10 xxx-mobs..." ?

• suntzu360suntzu360 Member Posts: 5

Eve Online should have won this award, if only the games were researched instead of accepting hordes of wow kids votes find out what mmo actually improved last year not whoever can amass the most votes

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by elocke

WoW deserves the win for the changes to the 1-60 game.  awesome stuff.  Now if they would only change the 60-80 to match it and to completely change or ADD to the endgame because at this point, Wow endgame is the worst experience I haver EVER had in an MMO.

agree 100%  20-60 was a nonstop blast!  I was playing Dranaei, so the first 20 levels was "meh", but once I moved on it got VERY cool, especially in moving to the Eastern Kingdoms.  The trio of quests, "The Day that Darkwing Came" should be available in their trial... :)

...but yeah, I'm at 63, now, and Outland feels pretty old by comparison.  Tempted to move on to another alt to hit the zones I missed. 

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

I've played the top 3 games on the least and couldn't be more upset with WoW winning. WoW is still  WoW and if you didn't like it before cata odds are you will still not like it now.  The award is for the most improved MMO, not for the MMO that has undergone the most  noticable changes.  I was subbed into cata for 2 months and will no longer resub back to WoW as the game really is exactly the same as it was before, just for  a lack of a better word, 'reskinned'.

AoC which was horrible to start out and EVE, an MMO that seems to be always taking the right steps forward....  These games should have been the two up for the title of most improved. 

• ajp29ajp29 Member Posts: 35

Originally posted by Lumanil

Originally posted by Sfaliara

The quests are amazing ??? Did they add "Kill 12 xxx-mobs..." to the "Kill 8 xxx-mobs..." and "Kill 10 xxx-mobs..." ?

I know. I mean when i started aion the first quest was...kill 4 wimpy little things that pose no threat to you at all

But hey lotro had me kill...4 flies and then collect seeds

Then again War had me kill empire, the ai was crap but they were empire

So I say war is the best mmo because the first quest is the most interesting

EDIT:I forgot the manditory McDonalds joke.  Afterall it is not generic or over done at all, it is clever

• Zeal77Zeal77 Member Posts: 158

Originally posted by suntzu360

Eve Online should have won this award, if only the games were researched instead of accepting hordes of wow kids votes find out what mmo actually improved last year not whoever can amass the most votes

This. All because McDonalds sells the most burgers doesn't make it the best burger mmk?

• ircaddictsircaddicts Member UncommonPosts: 218

wow what a shock  another award bought and paid for by blizzard. Every year wow wins something it should'nt. this year is no excpetion

Top 3 MMO's PRE-CU SWG GW1 GW2

Worst 2 wow and Lotro Under standing stones it went woke 

• ElendilasXElendilasX Member Posts: 243

Only WoW and Eve are worth mentioning at all. And also how you understand word improved. For me it means got better. WoW only changed and remained same. Dont know about eve as havent played for long time.

Nowdays it seems no one tries to improve games. They add generic shit and sell it like expansion for 50$ or so. Thats what they probably call improvement...

And wow only wins because of ammount of subscribers. They just vote no matter what category, except if for worst game (as someone already mentioned). And it is hard for other games with 10x or 100x smaller communities to compete.

• IronfungusIronfungus Member Posts: 519

Okay, cool, but nothing improved in World of Warcraft. Everything just got potentially shinier. It's still the same damn game. Nothing improved. Class balance is still terrible (worse, I'd imagine).

• holifeetholifeet Member Posts: 532

'Makes levelling easier'

The fact that this was quoted as a reason why WoW is better just echoes what is so wrong with the genre these days.

How can making a game become easier and more trivial be a good thing for a game?

All hail the Pixel, for it is glorious Orange!
  • Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by Moirae

I didn't choose any of them because I couldn't. None of them deserve it. They are just old games trying to stay relevant. Honestly, I don't think there was a single game this year that deserved "most improved".

That's a pretty cynical view. These "older games" were classics when they first  came out and will remain so for years to come because they "try to stay relevant."

Each and every one of these games deserved it in my opinion. Their respective development teams have put a lot of work into updating and making sure their game will be fun for loyal subscribers and new players alike.

Your attitude just says "why bother?" and encourages these "old games" to stagnate and die.

• VedstedsenVedstedsen Member Posts: 25

Bad poll. They all turn into a popularity contest. Cataclysm was not an improvement. Improvements are for bad games. AoC improved the most, however not enough to boost their number of accounts.

Playing: AoC
    Played: WoW, GW, DF, VG, Runescape, LoTRO, AoC