Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Most Improved MMO

124»

Comments

• aaronmanzeroaaronmanzero Member Posts: 75

I like the new COH changes but they really need to upgrade direct and game crashes.

• UzlebUzleb Member Posts: 162

I don't know if this is an award I would want my current MMO to win.

Think about it, if 33.2% of the poles thought the game needed improvement.

What does that say about the state of the game?

And why doesn't your monthly fee go up?   lol

• cloudacvcloudacv Member UncommonPosts: 210

I actually found this to be the worst WoW expansion... was it programmed by monkeys? The servers are horrible now... the phasing is just stupid whoever said this is "innovative" was wrong... nothing innovative about only your game world changing... if anything it made the game worse. From my experience playing its as if blizzard gave the middle finger to all the players or they are just to stupid to know how to fix stupid bugs.

• joemezcaljoemezcal Member UncommonPosts: 20

Originally posted by sookster54

Originally posted by joemezcal

I wouldn'r say City of Heroes improved... it just escaped stagnation... for a very limited time.

Well I consider the graphics enhancement (well that was back in 2009 around issue 11?) and addition of architecture missions and now Going Rogue which has actually brought back more subs (Freedom & Virtue are triple red every night again, hasn't been like that since Oct 2009 or so). Only thing is how pvp is botched and I hope devs are dealing with that.

I would agree with the graphics being an improvement  if only the game had been optimized, which is not the case. It still encounters issues with high-end gear (mine and others, shadows are very badly handled for example). In my opinion this is a semi-improvement... Others like Blizzard or CCP have done a far better job.

The AE? Well, is it still a grindfest for Speedy Gonzallez-like levelling? I know some players did some very good story-arcs, but do you remember when the gizmo was launched? I do and... meh.

I totally agree with you concerning PVP : it's broken, badly-thought from scratch IMO, and by trying to "improve" it they sent it down the drain...

About Going Rogue... I think that this "expansion" wasn't really one. 20 short levels with new skins for old maps are, at best, cosmetic changes, not remodeling a game world. Still, the lore is very well handled, I have to say. As far as I'm concerned, CoH stopped improving two years ago, it looks more like life-support  than anything else.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Alll this was reskinned content with a small handful of quests done differently and the game was made so that you can reach the level cap much faster. How is this an improvement ? This is why we never get better games from Blizzard, people from this game always accept as is instead of demanding better.

That statement tells me there's no way in hell you played Cat.  Ignored.

I know it is tough to see through the rose-colored glasses but hey your choice. Not a hater whatsoever, just telling you like I see it. If you don't agree then you don't agree. The word hater is not the solution just because someone sees it differenty than you.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Alll this was reskinned content with a small handful of quests done differently and the game was made so that you can reach the level cap much faster. How is this an improvement ? This is why we never get better games from Blizzard, people from this game always accept as is instead of demanding better.

I know it is tough to see through the rose-colored glasses but hey your choice. Not a hater whatsoever, just telling you like I see it. If you don't agree then you don't agree. The word hater is not the solution just because someone sees it differenty than you.

Noooo... there's a difference between an "opinion" or "calling it as you see it", and flat out stating a falsehood.  An opinion is, "Yeah I checked it out, and despite all the changes I still think it's crap".  Not the utter, undeniable falsehood you uttered.

It's NOT a handful of quests redone and reskinned.  The WHOLE EXPERIENCE from 1-60 has been completely redone.  there's no way you could have played the game for ANY length and came to the conclusion they "just changed a handful of quests".

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

So can I still go to Stranglethorn Vale and farm for Staff of Jordans? LOL good way to make money, last time I played I got 2 of those in a week.

• NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,141

In retrospective to their origenal debutes, all 5 titles do deserver this award.

Especially World of Warcraft and EVE, i have to say those two improved the most over-all and actually have something new to offer in almost every single game-play element. (for good or for bad, *pokes Blizz for bringing the TBC diffaculty back*)

Yes i would have liked to see a beffier graphical reskin for World of Warcraft. *looks at Human models an whanes*

But almost everything else is worth the money to at least experience the changes, even if the experience is not what you had hoped for.

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • Cody1174Cody1174 Member Posts: 271

Originally posted by elocke

WoW deserves the win for the changes to the 1-60 game.  awesome stuff.  Now if they would only change the 60-80 to match it and to completely change or ADD to the endgame because at this point, Wow endgame is the worst experience I haver EVER had in an MMO.

Worse endgame... are you serious........ 

• BattlestormBattlestorm Member UncommonPosts: 136

I'm no less part of the WoW-hater crowd than anyone else on MMORPG.com, but I have to say . . . WoW: Cataclysm is the most improved game on the list. I mean, they revamped the whole 1-60 scheme and made it so that you could fly around. Cataclysm was no small task. Credit where credit is due.

Now, keep in mind that there are two ways to think about "most" improved, but I think the implication in the contest was not amount/volume-based but what level of quality was added to the game. In either case, I still say WoW is the winner. Personal opinions of the quality of the game aside, for those that enjoy each of these games, and in relation to the level of enjoyment that could be had from them, well . . . one has to admit that in the vast scope of possible improvements, to be fair, Blizzard was the elephant in the room. I would never presume to be so arrogant or ignorant as to completely discredit what they've done to the game due to personal preference, even if an elephant is what it is and I simply cannot stand the smell, there it is . . . no sense in pretending it's not there.

I still say LOTRO going F2P was a sweet move. Free is my favorite kind of improvement. I don't want to pay for DDO and it's extended features, so I don't. LOTRO I gladly pay for. I like having the option because I'm not a dip-stick loser who blames Turbine for not being able to control my spending habits.  Free is best, even if the advantage goes to those who don't mind forking over the cash to get ahead. Keep paying my sub, guys, I'm having a great time as it is . . . for free. :) I'll gladly pay someone else's free sub. so long as I'm having a good time doing it. Anyways, that's just my rant.

Not a bad scoring, all-in-all.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

I honestly don’t know why any of these games got on top of the score list here.

I quit World OF Warcraft simply because of all their so called improvements, Nerfs, Class changes ruining my class, slapping in expansion packs which do not have a fully story which follows the other story, and all this other type of stuff which constantly annoyed me. The User Interface in WOW is now one of the worst excluding Add-on packs which you can get but quite a few of them actually contain key loggers because I got all my Add-on’s from curse and one of them had a key logger can't be sure which one though and that is how my account got compromised twice before I got a Blizzard Authenticator. Sure WOW has a lot of changes, but are these good changes that really help the community, or just make people rage like me when my class gets ruined.

Aion, I quit this game when they removed all my gold because a friend sent it to me for helping him in another game, and the gold was bad, so they removed everything pretty much without any warning. On top of this they have to Screw up Aion by making it Pay 2 Play with F2P Cash Shop Pets, Weapon Skins which cost $5 + Each, and Charge a lot of money just for changing a characters looks, like seriously these things in any MMO should not cost a player unless it requires GM Help or assistance, but an Automated Scripted System to change character looks, and charge $10+ For that seriously come on.

City OF Heroes I honestly do not understand why a person would play this game, They need to Get rid of this game, and totally redo the character Models, and actual Game Engine Pretty much, or the entire game it looks like a piece of crap, and to charge people extra money for costumes + A Monthly Fee for the game that s already years old seriously.

AOC & EVE, I honestly didn't see many improvements to the actual UI, or game itself to count for anything. AOC being the worst because when I played it back in 2010, and gave it another shot, the Armors still sucked big times, and even worse Heads did not going rolling like promised on launch, and the DX10 Graphics BUG Issues. Seriously when I bought AOC I was told there would be very Brutal, Sexy game based on the actual Conan Theme/World, but it wasn't, and really made me rage, should I not say that BloodLines Champions is even worse community wise, and I decided to wait for a Real PVP Game Guild Wars 2, which might have some promise.
  • EzequielBEEzequielBE Member Posts: 27

I cannot understand where all this WoW-love comes from. I've seen my talent trees shrink. I've seen my open world become even more linear than what I saw in Aion. I've seen massive flaws in the Battleground queuing system. I've also seen how the entire newbie experience has become flawed due to imbalances created by heirlooms.

What I did not see however were fancy graphics. I'm sorry, but the water is still among the worst I've seen in any decent western MMO.

• VittoriosoVittorioso Member UncommonPosts: 33

Agree w/ that.

L2 is the best

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Sometimes this site just pisses me off.

I mean WoW got what it deserved, but seriously- where is FFXI from that list? I think it should have been at least nominated. I can't recall any other old game getting that much attention from their developers for the past year if ever.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • ChickGeekChickGeek Member Posts: 60

Noooo... there's a difference between an "opinion" or "calling it as you see it", and flat out stating a falsehood.  An opinion is, "Yeah I checked it out, and despite all the changes I still think it's crap".  Not the utter, undeniable falsehood you uttered.

It's NOT a handful of quests redone and reskinned.  The WHOLE EXPERIENCE from 1-60 has been completely redone.  there's no way you could have played the game for ANY length and came to the conclusion they "just changed a handful of quests".

Well, OF COURSE there's difference - between "it's my opinion and i'm totally right!" and "everyone's else is a wrong opinion and you suck!".

i agree with SaintViktor

WOW is a game almost ten years old, now they release an expansion that re-designs several areas of the game with some quests, and everyone is so happy that out of 12 millions accounts (that Blizzard claims to exist) only 4 buys this expansion. If Blizzard would have re-done the game engine like Eve Online's developers did, now that would be an improvement indeed!

Online Games in Girl's Eyes
    http://chickgeekgames.blogspot.com

• suntzu360suntzu360 Member Posts: 5

spent 1 year playing WoW, then i discovered EVE online, and gave up my account never played wow again, i play starcraft sometimes now mostly eve and call of duty black ops now

Sorry but EVE is 100 times more of a MMO than WOW, and is getting much better.  

But thats just me

EVE online tends to have 20 year old and up players i think its a maturity preference, alot of EX military men and women on eve i've also noticed