Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Most Improved MMO

Comments

• PanzakatPanzakat Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by Zefire

Wow is awesome the new zones have improved graphics and the graphics are supreme when u crank it to ultra with dx 11 test.

Lets hope for a full dx 11 support in the upcoming expansion.

New supreme eye candy, wait no the old races still have the worst animation and circa 1999 feel they did at release and when people did come up with a way to implement better models for older races... Blizzard said na sorry please sux more cheers buhbye....

Dx 11 landscape, warcraft 3 avatars hmm toughy.

How can you say it has improved. Overhauled yes, but not alot has actually changed, even the much vaunted starter experience still has the same old rewards in a different quest package.. how is that "improved" instead of kill x bandits you now kill y goblins for example...

More vehicle mini games, isn't improved its using the same mechanic in a different way.

Same shit different pile. Briefly thought about resubing, played a trial for the total of 15mins and came away from the expac with.. oo nothing new to see here..

Keep chasing that purple rainbow while the rest of the world moves on 100 fold.

• TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342

I think some people need to take a look in the dictionary what improved can mean tbh...

Or what... games need to change completely for it to improve?

So far I only seen one game doing that and it was shit all the way, looks at SWG (or if you count tabula rasa that was in production compared to the other game that it was when it released).

So no change doesn't mean improvement, it CAN mean that...

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

Originally posted by causs

Even though I don't play WoW, I find this a logical win. However, what I don't find logical is AoC getting so many votes. I played it numerous times (last time was a few months back), but how the hey could people vote for that game?

Have you played it recently?  It's a damn good game.  

Originally posted by suntzu360

Eve Online should have won this award, if only the games were researched instead of accepting hordes of wow kids votes find out what mmo actually improved last year not whoever can amass the most votes

Eve's last expansion was underwhelming, and introduced a bunch of issues that only recently got ironed out.  Sorry kiddo, I actually did do my research instead of just jacking my jaw about it.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I wasn't expecting City of Heroes in the list until I opened up the article, I vote for City of Heroes as well.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061
    Category wise WoW definitely deserves it.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Wow is awesome the new zones have improved graphics and the graphics are supreme when u crank it to ultra with dx 11 test.

Are there any specific screenshots demonstrating it?

Originally posted by Vedstedsen

Bad poll. They all turn into a popularity contest. Cataclysm was not an improvement. Improvements are for bad games. AoC improved the most, however not enough to boost their number of accounts.

That must be why WoW wins sooooo many polls here on MMORPG... oh wait, they rarely ever win?  Damn, I guess your argument sucks.

Lets be honest, its way more cool to hate WoW on this site than to actually play it.  Regular WoW players don't bother w/ MMORPG.com, cause they have no interest in other MMOs.

Originally posted by sookster54

Are there any specific screenshots demonstrating it?

Heh, I think he's bullshitting.  Or maybe not.  The graphics are definitely an improvement... but "supreme" is pushing it pretty hard.  Especially compared to almost every other game on that list.

• JLVDBJLVDB Member Posts: 281

Originally posted by holifeet

'Makes levelling easier'

The fact that this was quoted as a reason why WoW is better just echoes what is so wrong with the genre these days.

How can making a game become easier and more trivial be a good thing for a game?

Yes, it was quoted by the author and so he ignored the phased story telling and dynamic world changing landscapes.

I guess a phrase like dynamic Oblivion world meets static MMO's would give Blizzard too much credit.

But who cares, millions have seen these techniques and now expect all other MMO's to follow.

That's the only thing to remember, not the 2 lines of the editor.

This site has been thinking 5 years now one can stop the juggernaut by ignoring its new features, well, we have seen the results.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by comerb

Originally posted by Vedstedsen

Bad poll. They all turn into a popularity contest. Cataclysm was not an improvement. Improvements are for bad games. AoC improved the most, however not enough to boost their number of accounts.

That must be why WoW wins sooooo many polls here on MMORPG... oh wait, they rarely ever win?  Damn, I guess your argument sucks.

Lets be honest, its way more cool to hate WoW on this site than to actually play it.  Regular WoW players don't bother w/ MMORPG.com, cause they have no interest in other MMOs.

Actually, I doubt WoW players really care about this small, backwater web site.  They have an official forum with activity - about their game from people that actually play the game - that puts the total activity here to shame.

It is fashionable with a certain set to hate that which is popular.  In all seriousness, WoW players are playing the single most popular MMO in history.  As such, they probably don't feel the same insecurity that causes many of the people who play "far-less-popular-but-super-awesome-because-they're-less-popular" games to post with such regularity and vitriol.

I haven't played WoW in years, but I know many people who do - and the majority of them love Cata.  Gratz to Blizzard!

Regarding AoC, Godslayer did more harm than good, in that another freefall in players occurred about a month or so after it was released.  The playerbase is probably a lot smaller now than it was before the expansion.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• HekketHekket Member Posts: 905

BC and Wotlk left such a bad taste in my mouth that I find it impossible to return to WoW.

Wotlk was pretty much my final good bye.

• joemezcaljoemezcal Member UncommonPosts: 20

I wouldn'r say City of Heroes improved... it just escaped stagnation... for a very limited time.

Well, for the other games I tend to agree : WoW did improve with Cataclysm, the "new" Azeroth is fun to play. EvE is a kind of perpetual improvement in itself and AoC started as a poorly designed game and became a very decent one. So they deserve this award.

But CoH? Please...

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

The 1-60 game has improved so much in WoW that it made leveling an alt fun again, until you hit 60. 60-80 is just mindnumbing because compared to Azeroth and Cataclysm, BC and WotLK are just mundane. I really wish they had added the ability for players to level from 60-80 in newer zones instead of having to slog through Outland and Northrend.

I think the editors comment of "making leveling easier" is out of context. I wouldn't say leveling is "easier" it's about as easy as it ever was, but it's more streamlined now. Instead of having a quest that you pick up in the Southern Barrens that requires you to go to Arathi Highlands and back, the quest hubs are now all "local" quests. Many of the zones have a unique story that falls into place with what is happening in the world at large, it's very interesting. Especially quests series such as those on the horde side in Stonetalon mountains.

WoW deserves the title, but only for the 1-60 and 80-85.

• sifudojasifudoja Member Posts: 142

Fallen Earth should have won this, i think.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Since when is "kill 8 wolves" in 2010 an improvement over "kill 8 wolves" in 2009?

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

anyone who thinks Cata didnt improve WoW is an idiot. The new quests both 80-85 and 1-60 are the most fun i've ever had questing in any MMO.

They've really redesigned the zones to feel like little story arcs to where you actually cant wait to see what happens at the end.

I'm sorry, i'm far from a WoW fanboi but I was very impressed by the effort put into revamping the old content which is something most MMOs never think to do period. Everyone wants to just keep adding more and more and never think to update the stuff we already love so it is once again fresh and relevant.

• I find it so funny how people say oh ive raided in the new x-pac and have done it all and its so boring. To those people I say lies!! Not even the best guilds in the owrld have completed all the raids yet so I doubt u have even seen a raid.

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

Because my friends bought the expansion, I bought the expansion. The only thing I really liked about it was the Dungeon Finder. However, after using it for a few days, I realized I was not having fun in any of the dungeons. After 2 weeks, I logged out and cancelled my subscription and then uninstalled. I never want to go back.

My friends, however, are playing it constantly.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by VoIgore

Since when is "kill 8 wolves" in 2010 an improvement over "kill 8 wolves" in 2009?

Go to Westfall or Redrige and play the questlines there. You'll see the difference is BIG. EVEN if the bottomline is stll Kill 8 of X. It is the phasing and great storytelling which makes all the difference.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Yes the world os moving on 100 fold, that's why WOW is still getting new subs and everyone else is barley getting by. Yes smart one you are. Also u are right, after 15 minutes u should be an expert on things. Good Job, do u feel cool now?

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

Originally posted by sookster54

I wasn't expecting City of Heroes in the list until I opened up the article, I vote for City of Heroes as well.

Considering the difference in game populations of the two games, the fact it nearly got 10% of the vote should be considered a victory of sorts.

• JLVDBJLVDB Member Posts: 281

Originally posted by VoIgore

Very good question. Since you also need to search for 10 wooden sticks/arrows and some fire mechanism.

Then you would cut the wolves  open and made from their parts  a new mobile/riding catapult to throw arrows at a building from the enemy.

The building would go on fire and be destroyed to ashes - for ever .

The destroyed building has inside a secret passage to a tunnel where a new adventure awaits.

All dynamically shown of course and changing zones and places/buildings forever.

Get the picture of "since" now ?

• DemenshaDemensha Member UncommonPosts: 76

"none of the above" is not on the list. Poor inconsistant journalism guys. shame shame

• DrFragDrFrag Member Posts: 28

and the WOW circlejerk continues...