Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Biggest Disappointment

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

The year sure had plenty of worthy candiates for sucking hard, not the least being the dearth of quality MMO's in general which is how I voted.  But Cryptic came in a close 2nd in my book. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

2010 was a dissappointment, but I don't think there were any other games released besides FFXIV that had high expectations.

MO was indi

STO was cryptic

APB was a bust on the design sheet.

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

I didnt even buy FFXIV because I was tired of low budget games comming from low budget studios, Funcom is a joke, STO was a let down, and when a new game comes out I now wait and see the reveiws on them; Unless the game is from a large well known and funded studio Im not dishing out cash on release day; And I encourage other people not to promote "Pay for Beta" for the 1st year of release; Let it be communicated that if the low budget companies make garbage and no one buys it them, they go away.....Might be less choice, but having choices saturated with trash is not really a choice at all. Rather see few games come out that are of much better quality, and boy if you think about their is a alot of trash out there....alot

• huskerman34huskerman34 Member UncommonPosts: 252

I would defineatly say FF14 and Everquest Extended. Sqaure totally screwed this game up. I was looking into purchasing a powerful laptop top play this game. But after the reviews of many. I decided that i will wait and play this game on Ps3. Sony online should have never dealed with this game and left it pay to play. They striped this game naked . Havent been on lately. Maybe Sony might have thrown in some features. Another dissapointment was Abessya expansions for FF11. I thought the add ons were lame and nothing but a leach fest. The level increase was a worthless to some jobs (redmage). I really hope 14 rebounds in 2011 in time for the ps3 launch. If not then im going to Terra.

Edgar F Greenwood

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Originally posted by bcrankshaw

IMO this is an accurate poll

I will say that 2011 is looking amazing for potential MMO and RPG ...take a look at this list

• GW2

• Rift

• SWTOR

• Elder Scrolls 5

• Witcher 2

• Dragon Age 2

• Deus Ex 3

• Dead Space 2

• Mass Effect 3

• Kingdoms of Amalur

• FEAR 3

Oh yes 2011 is looking fantastic :)

Maybe I'm just weird, but I find that list to be disheartening, not fantastic. Sure, some of the games will be great, but there's only two original titles on that entire list; the rest are sequels or installments to pre-existing franchises. There's nothing wrong with that, persay, but it makes me pessimistic about the creativity of the current studios. We're seeing the same thing with movies - studios trying to make money with 'safe' sequels, rather than taking any chances whatsoever.

Originally posted by huskerman34

I would defineatly say FF14 and Everquest Extended. Sqaure totally screwed this game up. I was looking into purchasing a powerful laptop top play this game. But after the reviews of many. I decided that i will wait and play this game on Ps3. Sony online should have never dealed with this game and left it pay to play. They striped this game naked . Havent been on lately. Maybe Sony might have thrown in some features. Another dissapointment was Abessya expansions for FF11. I thought the add ons were lame and nothing but a leach fest. The level increase was a worthless to some jobs (redmage). I really hope 14 rebounds in 2011 in time for the ps3 launch. If not then im going to Terra.

They've improved the game quite a bit. Most of the glaring issues are gone, but the complete and utter lack of content is still slowly destroying the game.

<3

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992

You will notice the size of this article is rather short. Does anyone reading this wonder why MMORPG.COM does not want to write about why we think FFIV, STO and MO were a disappoinment?

They were quite happy to wax lyrical about why we think a MMO is best in list xxxxx, but not when we think it was worst. I do have to question why perceived failings in those MMO's were not the subject of a staff write up.

• bcrankshawbcrankshaw Member Posts: 547

Originally posted by dreamscaper

Originally posted by bcrankshaw

IMO this is an accurate poll

I will say that 2011 is looking amazing for potential MMO and RPG ...take a look at this list

• GW2

• Rift

• SWTOR

• Elder Scrolls 5

• Witcher 2

• Dragon Age 2

• Deus Ex 3

• Dead Space 2

• Mass Effect 3

• Kingdoms of Amalur

• FEAR 3

Oh yes 2011 is looking fantastic :)

Maybe I'm just weird, but I find that list to be disheartening, not fantastic. Sure, some of the games will be great, but there's only two original titles on that entire list; the rest are sequels or installments to pre-existing franchises. There's nothing wrong with that, persay, but it makes me pessimistic about the creativity of the current studios. We're seeing the same thing with movies - studios trying to make money with 'safe' sequels, rather than taking any chances whatsoever.

I hear you..but  for me why change a good thing?

Innovation doesn't necessarily equate to better entertainment in PC gaming

I enjoyed games like Witcher and Elder Scrolls the most of my list ...with all the disappointments lately all I ask for is the game to be of the same standard as the previous one ...of course if it was better that would be a bonus

I thought ME2 was worse than ME1 so I agree that sometimes a follow-up of a successful game title can be a disappointment

"after the time of dice came the day of mice "

• mulcebarmulcebar Member Posts: 24

Whats the point of having a choice "2010 in general" the whole point of taking a poll is to get an actual winner for a given category. isnt it?

I say it was star trek online. but in the wider world of gaming, final fantasy 13 probably takes the cake. Its not without its possitive aspects but damn that game was just so dissapointing, as a long time fan of final fantasy I just cant stand the direction that franchise has taken lately. bring on a "this gen" remake of final fantasy 7. or perhaps FF4. something with a world map, maybe some towns, maybe a few different directions to take along the road.

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

Well the % can not be wrong, FFIV was the biggest crash and burn since...hm, period.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by gobla

Nobody, neither the devs nor the players, is going to get usefull information from the awards like this. None of the new games that did have some positive sides are going to get encouraged from winning an award and none of the new games that were absolutely horrible is going to learn a lesson from losing the award. Because it's simply a draw.

I'm pretty sure these devs, especially SE, don't need a website "award" to know their game has fallen far short of success.

They've heard/read plenty of why their game isn't doing well, and they're feeling it where it really counts to them... in their wallets.

It's not like winning some award on a website is suddenly going to have some eye-opening affect on them at this point. I'm sure no one is saying, "Wait... People aren't happy with our game? Who knew?"

The FFXIV and STO devs can proudly say that while their launch wasn't a shining example in the industry atleast they didn't get the biggest dissapointment award.

Again, these awards are a bit incidental. It's like telling someone who's already had an irrepairably rotted tooth pulled due to the pain that "hey, cavities really hurt". They already know that quite well.

Congratulations MMORPG.com, you've managed to finish the apperantly most horrible year in MMO gaming by holding an equally horrible 2010 awards.

... you're blaming MMORPG.com for how people voted? Seems a tad misplaced, don't you think?

Personally, I don't think choosing the year overall is at all a bad thing... it's like voting "no confidence" for all candiates. Nothing was worthwhile.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• asus52xmaxxasus52xmaxx Member Posts: 4

can u post most disappointing management/developer: ill vote for G1 >.<

• KorPhaeronKorPhaeron Member Posts: 134

fair poll imo, 2010 as a whole was craptastic, except Global Agenda the rest was pure fail.

and FFXIV for being the biggest dissapointment is also spot on. 

its normal that STO didnt win the biggest dissapointment award, it was made by Cryptic, so I guess that most people expected it to be pure shit...you cant dissapoint anyone when everybody assumes you will be worthless to start with...

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Uggh I don't recall and hate the inclusion of "2010 in general" because it kind of let's thse devs off the hook a bit for what they did, I honestly could have been fine with either STO or FFXIV winning it but will have to hope they will be thouroughly embarassed enough to not do what they both did last year again.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Originally posted by darkman

Obviously there are a whole lot of people that haven't played the train wreck that is FFXIV for it to only get 25%.

My sentiments exactly. No need to include the other games, FFXIV took the cake for the others and they can hopefully learn from it. FFXIV was the game I was waiting while I played WoW and Aion, but BOOOY that was a major let down for me, sheesh!!

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

STO no question.

I'm still longing for a sci-fi or modern MMO, not too fond of fantasy/middle age MMO that the market is flooded with. Tabula Rasa had my place for a while and so did SWG and PlanetSide.

• AthcearAthcear Member Posts: 420

The biggest disappointment for me wasn't even on this list.  Allods Online completely destroyed any faith I might have had that F2P games could be anything besides poorly made money sinkholes.  Allods took an interesting world with cool art and story and destroyed it with boring quest grinding and designing the whole game around pouring money into the cash shop.

Important facts:
    1. Free to Play games are poorly made.
    2. Casuals are not all idiots, but idiots call themselves casuals.
    3. Great solo and group content are not mutually exclusive, but they suffer when one is shoved into the mold of the other. The same is true of PvP and PvE.
    4. Community is more important than you think.

• Cirn0Cirn0 Member Posts: 162

2010 in General 39.4%

NONE OF THE ABOVE!

YES!

IZI MODO?! Ha-ha-ha!

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

Originally posted by gobla

How exactly is providing options such as "None of the above" and "2010 in general" informative, helpfull or in any way or form constructive?

To me it sounds like a whiny kid answering that everything sucks... big time... when asked what's wrong. It doesn't do anything to clarify why he's crying or anything to solve the problem he's apperantly having.

Nobody, neither the devs nor the players, is going to get usefull information from the awards like this. None of the new games that did have some positive sides are going to get encouraged from winning an award and none of the new games that were absolutely horrible is going to learn a lesson from losing the award. Because it's simply a draw.

The FFXIV and STO devs can proudly say that while their launch wasn't a shining example in the industry atleast they didn't get the biggest dissapointment award.

The Vindictus and Perpetuum devs can hang their heads because even though they pulled off decent launches with games that brought something to the genre they still didn't get any recognition for it.

Congratulations MMORPG.com, you've managed to finish the apperantly most horrible year in MMO gaming by holding an equally horrible 2010 awards.

I think its very informative, it tells you that all of the games (at least on this list) are bad in some way shape or form compared to existing MMO's.  So if you where looking for a new MMO you would naturally check the older ones first as all of the 2010 ones (on this list) had something that pissed people off in them.  If you haven't found your game then you can look at each game on this list and research what aspect pissed off people and make an informative decision.

I struggle to see how having 1 game given crap game of the year would change how you would pick an MMO over a whole slew of game winning crap MMO of the year.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by sookster54

STO no question.

I'm still longing for a sci-fi or modern MMO, not too fond of fantasy/middle age MMO that the market is flooded with. Tabula Rasa had my place for a while and so did SWG and PlanetSide.

Well, there is Anarchy Online, but its graphics are rather dated(they have been talking about a new engine for years, but so far, thats all it is...Talk).  There are some indy games(Perpetuum and EVE). Some time in the next year or two Firefall looks like fun.

http://www.firefallthegame.com/

Other than that, nothing really comes to mind.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • NicroxNicrox Member Posts: 140

Lets hope that 2011 is alot better then 2010 for mmo's.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Originally posted by Wraithone

Originally posted by sookster54

STO no question.

Well, there is Anarchy Online, but its graphics are rather dated(they have been talking about a new engine for years, but so far, thats all it is...Talk).  There are some indy games(Perpetuum and EVE). Some time in the next year or two Firefall looks like fun.

http://www.firefallthegame.com/

Other than that, nothing really comes to mind.

I am waiting for a new SWG and Planetside too.  I don't care or even prefer sci fi though.  Planetside 2 is being made so that might fill the planetside void, but no sights on a replacement for what was once SWG.

I have been watching firefall too, looks pretty cool.  Definitely not a replacement for SWG or PS as far as gameplay goes but for fun sci-fi feel, yes.

I would have preferred that STO or FF had won this.  I liked how MMORPG.COM did not choose a favorite for this year but instead said that no game was any good...  But I think as far as biggest disappointment goes that STO and FF both stand out and one of them should have been labeled the winner.  Probably FF, but honestly I played neither, I thought both would suck and I was correct.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• jstn1234jstn1234 Member Posts: 1

This is the beginning of the end for mmo's.  They get shittier and shittier each game that comes out.  UO for life.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

To those of you who are voting for STO....how can STO be the biggest disappointment when everyone was already expecting it to be horrible?

<3

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by jstn1234
    This is the beginning of the end for mmo's.  They get shittier and shittier each game that comes out.  UO for life.

^ Yup, UO, EQ, Lineage, AO, SWG (orig) where playing a character in an MMORPG had a meaning and having to earn your way up, not what you see today as in getting stuff given to you just for completing a quest or buying items from stores.

Looks like FPS games are going that way (CoD: Black Ops).

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788

tehre was absolutely no disappoints as far as MMO's are concern in 2010.  Why? Cause none of these games had a chance.  Anyone thinking any of these games stood a chance and were not going to be horrible games was very naive.