Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Most Innovative

124»

Comments

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

Is only me or EVE got it last year as well ? Anyway it just shows how sad the state of MMORPG market is right now.

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

Show us a game that has changed so much as EvE has done since 2003 I dont think some of you Grasp the Awsomness that is CCP and EVE...

Each year they bring out new expansions that touches on a diffrent aspect of their Universe... From the Intruduction of Wormhole space growing the universe by 1/3

To Letting us put factories and harvest things from the Planets... getting the materials to build and fuel  Player owned structrues (POS). Before they were seeded to the market...

And letting us slavage destroyed ships and build RIGS on our ships... Making Ninja salvage a viable profession.

and many many more things...

..... and a alot of updates thru the years

ship... space... station.. avatar(coming in january 2010) Grafic updates to keep it fresh and up to standard.

And unlike other games out there that ad expansions and make all your hard work before it MEANINGLESS. I dont understand how anyone can think fun gameplay is to grind and work your ase off to get some ITEMS that after the Next expasion comes out you can flush down the TOILET.... I must ask people who play World of warcraft, Lotro, Warhammer etc dont you feel cheated as they raise the lvl cap or give out expansions (that drop more epic loot) and all the shit you have been working for the last 6 months are now worth NOTHING???

In EVE NO TRAINING IS USLESS... train 50m sp quit for 2 years and come back you still have a 50M sp charecter and the ships you use are still good... YOU HAVENT BEEN OUTRUNN... if you go Inactive for a year in another MMO you can aswell REROLL your TOON... all your WORK you have done up to that point has been POINTLESS.....

This is the CORE of EVE time spent in game MATHERS.. time Subscribed to the GAME MATHERS. ALSO you can OWN your own SPACE STATION, controll your own space... KILL other players and take thier stuff... its MEANING full game play VS MEANINGLESS game play and that so many of you chose the MEANINGLESS one is beyond me to be honest..

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Zlayer77

Show us a game that has changed so much as EvE has done since 2003 I dont think some of you Grasp the Awsomness that is CCP and EVE....

This award was for 2010.  What happened before 2010 should not matter. 

I'm not disagreeing with your views of eve's past or what is has accomplished, but 2010 wasn't a very good year for innovation.  If you really look at the reason why eve was nominated it just doesn't make any sense.  Not that most of the others do either.

• HyperwolfHyperwolf Member UncommonPosts: 120

It is hard to argue that EVE is not innovative, however my experience has been that just because it's new and different doesn't mean it's good, as was the case when planetary interaction was released. In all honesty it was about as much fun as managing a spreadsheet that needed to be updated several times a day, each time requiring a hundred or more mouse clicks.

Apparently  they did remedy this somewhat after I quit, however like many aspects of EVE it simply wasn't fun. Lose a ship that took 2 months worth of work to acquire, well that's EVE. It's 'super realistic' as some like to say. Those people never took a physics class. EVE combat is no more realistic then any other fantasy MMO. Have you ever wondered exactly how it is that ship armor repairs itself so efficiently, using just your ships energy source, which incidentally unlike every other little thing in the game (down to "cows") is free.  Or why enemy missiles can destroy your frigate, but not ramming repeatedly into an asteroid. Innovative - yes. Realistic - no.

I tried to play again recently when I heard Incarna was being released. More because I was curious to see Incarna in action then because I was keen to play EVE again. Logging into the station youu're kind of just sitting there (or in a fetal position in your capsule I really don't know), and absolutely NOTHING is going to happen unless you move your ass and make it. It's the appeal of EVE to be sure but it's also one of it's downsides. EVE is not a game you can just login to and be drawn into some good 'diversional therapy' fun after work. It's like a second job in itself.

I've had big payoffs in EVE in the past, defending against enemy corps invading our wormhole, fighting the Sleepers for the first time, the first few times a pirate jumps you., It's a great game. But...

It could be so much better and have so many more players if they found ways to up the fun aspect and blunt the 'haha sandbox wiped out 300 million ISKIES" aspect. It's ilke CCP deliberately want's asshats in their game psychologically raping players, when they aren't engaged in a bit of digital sodomy themselves.

And then there are the events that are awesome such as the Alliance tourney, which are just reserved for the top tier or EVE players, the cream of the crop as it were. The rest of us are just left watching youtube videos thinking how great it would be.

My brother had a great time in EVE building himself a Golem Marauder with absolutely insane gear on it. It was a total Sleeper reaper, then one day his connection timed out in the middle of a sleeper battle. Logged back in to find himself down nearly 2 billion ISK. CCPs response "LOL SANDBOX RAPED YOU. KK THX BA*I" ... and that was the last of his money that CCP got.  Inevitably some EVE fanboi will quote the CCP mantra - don't fly what you can't afford to lose". How many people in EVE can afford to lose a 2 billion ISK ship frequently? A very low perecentage I imagine, which begs the question - Why build them at all?.

Is full corspe looting such as in EVE and Darkfall innovative? It's certainly not the norm in MMO's. So maybe yes, but is it enjoyable? Not for most players  in my opinion.. Which is why it won't be coming to WOW/Aion/Rift/Tera/GW2/TOR/ or just about any other game release in 2011.

* - Ok these were not the exact words and I admit my Icelandic is a bit rusty but they were definitely along those lines.

EVE is deserving of this award but I don't believe the award will help it break into the mainstream anytime soon. For that CCP will need a completely different type of innovation.

Thanks for reading. Flame on if you wish, and I know many likely will.

You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks
    ~ WC

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

You know all the people who kept saying "dont fly what you can't afford to lose"?

What they meant was, if you can't afford to lose it, dont fly it. Especially in wormholes, which are zero security zones. Losing that ship was a matter of when, not if.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

I honestly don’t get it I have subscribed to EVE a total of 5 months or so to actually see if I would like the game, and based on my experiences in EVE the game sucked. It is a strategy based game like Command & Conquer which does not require a monthly fee to play C&C. Anyways to target a ship you either have to auto target by getting shot at or locked onto, on top of this you have to right click lock on target quite really slow, not action based in my opinion.

The Videos that have been made for this game like that one about the Hero Saving the miner, and such they are good videos, however the thing these videos do not show is how slow the targeting system is in this game the user actually right clicking each ship and the actual game play itself.

Also EVE is not a solo game; you always have to constantly work for a Group, Fleet, Guild, or whatever you want to call it. As a player in EVE I could make very little ISK as a newb to the game, I had my skills already trained really high for a newb, enough to fly other ships, but even then obtaining ISK was really boring, Slow, Right click warp to base for hours before I would have enough to get Skills, Get my ships, and if it got destroyed buy another ship, or insurance, and such. The only other option is to get help from other players in the game, or join a fleet willing to help with such, and also even when you do get high Rank Ships in the game, or decent ships you still have to constantly go out as a fleet, or even if your ship is very small but a decent miner ship forget all the names, but anyways you go out to mine in 0.4, or 0.5 to get decent ISK, or build new ships even then it costs a ton of cash to replace your ship as a newb if it gets lost, and on top of this you have to work with a group still, Plus the Gold Farmers/ISK Farmers are constantly using bots in this game to farm asteroids, and they have people to attack legit Miners off the asteroids & Such AKA Bots, and EVE does nothing to stop such.

I myself support Real Money Trade to certain points, but in a PVP Game with bots, or rather say any game using illegal programs, hacking accounts, or cheating/unfair duplicating I have issues with it, EVE Developers do nothing about this, and the result is as a Newb you work as a big gang constantly/Flee no Freedoms to solo, and or buy ISK and risk getting banned.

Also  the EVE Developers/GM's do not have a good reputation due to a few past issues, including one I recently found where they refused to respond to a person on blogs, I don't fully remember what the past issues were, but they were I believing helping a fleet or something.

• HyperwolfHyperwolf Member UncommonPosts: 120

Originally posted by Malcanis

You know all the people who kept saying "dont fly what you can't afford to lose"?

What they meant was, if you can't afford to lose it, dont fly it. Especially in wormholes, which are zero security zones. Losing that ship was a matter of when, not if.

I agree he may well have eventually lost it to a players, but this was due to a 2 minute internet outage.... not player combat. It would be a bit like a WoW player running a raid, getting disconnected and logging back in to find his full set of Tier X (whatever number it's up to now) had been permanently destroyed. ...

Basically he put in a petition and CCP said "tough cookies".

You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks
    ~ WC

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Originally posted by Hyperwolf

Originally posted by Malcanis

I agree he may well have eventually lost it to a players, but this was due to a 2 minute internet outage.... not player combat. It would be a bit like a WoW player running a raid, getting disconnected and logging back in to find his full set of Tier X (whatever number it's up to now) had been permanently destroyed. ...

Basically he put in a petition and CCP said "tough cookies".

Translation: Grind more ISK or buy more GTCs.

Gratz EvE. I played for a long time, had a blast, had my emorage moments. Had fun reviewing my emorage moments, thinking. That was dumb.

As I evolved, as I grew, as my tastes became more elegent, it became a matter of "grind more ISK" to continue because all ships in EvE are temporary situations. You lose them, it's cool but if you aren't in the 5 billion+ club you get bored. Make a shitbox tank that everyone will own, everyone will fly and everyone will lose and replace and shrug off.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

EvE Online "Most Innovative"

Considering how old this game is - you would think others would learn?  Apparently not.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.