Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Few things that hinders the fun factor

DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

No Advanced Classes respec

No multiplayer space combat, PvE & PvP wise

Very short space combat scenarios: 2-8 minutes only

No fighter type small space ships

No choice of space ships chassis

No planetary housing (instanced or not)

Maybe not even guild halls

No day/night cycles

[edit:  init 6 <  thread]

It's SW, made by BioWare ==> should be awesome.

However, not very fond of:

1) Graphics:

2) Restrictions

• "Required" companions for PvP, PUGs and RAIDs.

• James Ohlen: "Right now we are assuming that you are using your companion character. If you don’t use your companion you will be at a big disadvantage because all the DPS that your companion would be doing isn’t going to be there. So there is no point to not bring your companion character, unless you want to challenge yourself by not bringing him around."

• No Advanced Classes respec (Said theymight consider it at a point)

• Not choice for space ship chassis as based on character class and certainly only one chassis per class.

• No non humanoid playable races

• Daniel Erickson: "Namely that lead characters in an RPG must be something the player can relate to. There has never been a movie or major Star Wars series with a complete freak job as the lead and that's because dramatically it doesn't work. We don't understand what it means to be a giant lizard or a droid or a walking ball of jelly. We love the weird characters but they are always the sidekicks, not the emotional connection in the movie. To do an RPG that way every NPC you ran into would have to react to you depending on their own cultural bias and the entire "into the strange" adventure that is Star Wars would be lost as you would be the strangest thing in the room. "

• Gear vs look struggle:

• James Ohlen: "you're gonna find some pants that don't match your current stuff but it's better so for the people who really are like trying to max up their statistics they are going to put thoses in ... you're gonna have the player who waits because they care more about what they look like then you know the statistics"

• No gear dyes, at best class limited color palette. Based on the fact that each class has iconic color palette (same for planets)

• Twin syndrome for companions as no body customization for them.

• Alex Freed: Can customize companion via equipment similar to Mass Effect

•  

3) Alternative game play only for space content

• Very short space combat scenarios: 2-8 minutes only 

• No fighter type small space ships

• No multiplayer space combat, PvE & PvP wise

• Ref: PC Gamer

•  

4) PvP

• PvP specific gear (more mess to manage and gear to grind)

• Maybe no companion less Warzones.

• So far only 8 vs. 8 players zones

5) Lack of things that could have been fun

• No animal based pet classes... unless #1 #2

• No display pets, seen none so far... but above?

• No planetary housing, instanced or not. (Would be glad to be wrong)

• Maybe not even guild halls

• No day/night cycles (Based on the fact that each planet has a specific mood achieved through music and color palette)

• Jeff Dobson: More significantly, where the planet of Korriban is in a perpetual sunset, Tython is lit with the colors of morning. This choice to light each planet with a particular time of day implies something about the optimism of the Jedi and the end of hope for the Sith.

• No player bounties ;)

• Bit after the forum launch they said when a feature can be unfun for one of the parties involved it has no place in a BioWare game. Plus there's no equivalent to the BH class on the republic side.

The game will be polished for sure, maybe not as much as WoW is now. But it feels very restricted at this point.

==> You best source of information on TOR is  here, kudo's to TheDarkKnight

Comments

• Asmiroth20Asmiroth20 Member Posts: 346

More than half of that is unconfirmed.  The only thing that irks me is the companions.  Everything else is looking great.

[mod edit]

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by Deewe

Heroics proportions

"Required" companions for PvP, PUGs and RAIDs.

No body customization for companions.

No animal based pet classes

No display pet classes

Sith pureblood that look like red skinned elves

Trandoshan that look like goblins from a fantasy MMO

No non humanoid playable races

Oversized and spiky shoulder pads

PvP specific gear (more mess to manage)

No social clothing tab

No gear dyes, or class limited color palette

No day/night cycles

However there are quite a few things leveraging the fun factor for a SW based MMO:

• Heroics proportions

• more of extention of the character, don't think it will kill the fun factor

• No body customization for companions.

• meh, don't really care about this option, they look cool as is.

• No animal based pet classes

• meh, not really star war galaxies, though some of the companions act animal like i'm sure

• No display pets

• above reasoning

• Sith pureblood that look like red skinned elves

• Kinda looked like that in the movies to

• Trandoshan that look like goblins from a fantasy MMO

• They remind me of the ones in kotor more

• Meh, people know this going in

• Oversized and spiky shoulder pads

• This again? you really gotta get over this one factor/equipment

• No social clothing tab

• Controversial art choice for some gear sets, especially Inquisitor and Sith.

• No gear dyes, at best class limited color palette

• No Advanced Classes respec

• Think they actually state this might be possible later/being looked into

• People know this going into it.  Better then not having any space combat at all in my opinion, so space combat at all is a plus

• Same as above, it's an extra feature of the game

• No choice of space ships chassis

• No planetary housing (instanced or not)

• How many house do you want? you already have your space ship

• They have said they are looking into guild ships

• No day/night cycles

• Overwhelming story: not so short dialog cutscene

• meh, some are longer then others i'm sure.  I hate when they just say oh i'm hurt can you go get me 5 rats tails to heal me.  Not really a negative to me

• No player bounties ;)

• meh, never cared for that feature myself.

The game will be polished for sure, maybe not as much as WoW is now. But it feels very restricted at this point.

Not really all that restricting. You have 8 classes that can each split up into 16 different classes, 16 planets. Raids, choices in story, PvP (instance and open), crafting.  6 different humanoid races. a somewhat different combat system then your used to. (duck and cover/fighting multiple  mobs

I know you know this already cause i've seen you on the Offical forums, thats why i'm confused why your nitpicking a little on a game that hasn't come out. Theres a bunch of stuff the is said to do. Quite a bit more then other games that have launched

But whatever to each their own

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• 190192190192 Member Posts: 6

i agree that i would  like multiplayer space combat, PvE & PvP and player bounties. But a lot of it is just whineing about things like customization and social mechanics. Also i didn't understand what you meant by some of it.

* heroic proportions ( not heoric enought?)

*Controversial art choice for some gear sets, especially Inquisitor and Sith. (what?)

*Overwhelming story: not so short dialog cutscene( to much story to little gameplay?)

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520

Have you played the game to be able to determine that this list detracts from the overall fun of the game? Sometimes things are left out for a reason.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Heroics proportions

No display pet classes

No social clothing tab

No day/night cycles

However there are quite a few things leveraging the fun factor for a SW based MMO:

Leveraging and Hindering are two different things.

• Heroics proportions Whats wrong with this?

• "Required" companions for PvP, PUGs and RAIDs. Source please? I've always read that companions are optional. Regardless, doesn't bother me in the least.

• No body customization for companions. Who cares. Could use customize any pets (which aren't even as complex as companions in this game) in any other game that has been successful to date?

• No animal based pet classes This has been confirmed? Regardless, Id rather have a more complex companion that have a life of their own and add value to the quest and storyline then a pet with a few commands like attack, stay, passive, defensive.

• No display pets Where are you getting confirmations for this stuff? Regardless, this is another who cares. Maybe it will be sold in their store?

• Sith pureblood that look like red skinned elves Who cares.

• Trandoshan that look like goblins from a fantasy MMO Who cares

• No non humanoid playable races  Though I wish there were, I think this is one of the most over hyped criticisms of the game. I disagree with others that they simply look like humans in different colors. They look varied enough to me and more may be added in expansions. In addition, the starter areas will probably be different and isnt that more important than a bunch of different races in more generic starting areas like Ive seen in other games? AOC had everyone starting in the exact same place.

• Oversized and spiky shoulder pads This is not the case for each and every class and for each and every gear. In addition I can think of something similar to this in terms of 'out of proportions'' in just about EVERY game out there.

• PvP specific gear (more mess to manage and gear to grind) How come you know more about this than even the beta testers?

• No social clothing tab I have no idea what this means, but since I wasnt looking for this feature I don't care. Also, I remind you that the game is in beta and we don't know what the final build will be.

• Controversial art choice for some gear sets, especially Inquisitor and Sith. Who cares. This is so subjective.

• No gear dyes, at best class limited color palette I dont even know if this is true. We haven't seen the final build yet. Either way, the game looks colorful enough.

• No Advanced Classes respec   Same answer. We havent seen the latest build yet. How do you know this? Regardless, I think I am torn on this subject. Even if it is true, I'm wondering if this wouldn't be a bad thing so everyone isn't copying and pasting generic trees at release and it forces some variations among those who are in the same advanced class. Regardless, I'm not so sure they won't allow change with some money involved. I though it was more that you cannot change your advanced class, not that you can't respec them.

• No multiplayer space combat, PvE & PvP wise You've seen the final build? Either way, doesn't bother me at all.

• Very short space combat scenarios: 2-8 minutes only   You've seen the final build? Either way, doesn't bother me at all.

• No fighter type small space ships     You've seen the final build? Maybe it will be in their store or expansion? Either way, doesn't bother me at all.

• No choice of space ships chassis You've seen the final build? Either way, doesn't bother me at all.

• No planetary housing (instanced or not)   You've seen the final build? Either way, doesn't bother me at all.

• Maybe not even guild halls You've seen the final build? Either way, doesn't bother me at all.

• No day/night cycles   You've seen the final build? Either way, doesn't bother me at all.

• Overwhelming story: not so short dialog cutscene  TOTALLY DISAGREE. Most of us are hoping the story makes us actually pay attention to the quests again.  Also, you;'ve timed the length of each of the dialogue choices in the over 40 novels they are releasing and they are all long and the same length of time?

• No player bounties ;)   You've seen the final build? You know for sure there won't be quests that leverage this idea in some way? (I am using the word leverage correctly).

Just about everything in your list is nonsense and won't impact the fun factor for most normal gamers out there. A game can't have everything. This game is going to have a HUGE amount of options, variations, choices, etc when compared to other games. I expect it to be just as polished as WOW or even more so ( I can't tell you how many bugs I have encountered in Cataclysm).. This list makes me wonder how it is possible for you to enjoy any game out there, because if I dissected every other game that is currently released in the way that you just did, this list would be 100 times the size of what you wrote.

There Is Always Hope!

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by keithianw

Heroics proportions

No display pet classes

No social clothing tab

No day/night cycles

Leveraging and Hindering are two different things.

• Heroics proportions Whats wrong with this? 

• Awkward looking characters: too big hands, anorexic females with huge breast and so on.

• "Required" companions for PvP, PUGs and RAIDs. Source please? I've always read that companions are optional. Regardless, doesn't bother me in the least.

• James Ohlen: "Right now we are assuming that you are using your companion character. If you don’t use your companion you will be at a big disadvantage because all the DPS that your companion would be doing isn’t going to be there. So there is no point to not bring your companion character, unless you want to challenge yourself by not bringing him around."

• No body customization for companions. Who cares. Could use customize any pets (which aren't even as complex as companions in this game) in any other game that has been successful to date?

• Companions will end as twins, it would have helped lighten the issue a lot, a gearing them up won't be sufficient.

• No animal based pet classes This has been confirmed? Regardless, Id rather have a more complex companion that have a life of their own and add value to the quest and storyline then a pet with a few commands like attack, stay, passive, defensive.

• Fond of playing pet classes but not having blabling companions

• No display pets Where are you getting confirmations for this stuff? Regardless, this is another who cares. Maybe it will be sold in their store?

• Sith pureblood that look like red skinned elves Who cares.

• Some do, at least for a SW themed game

• Trandoshan that look like goblins from a fantasy MMO Who cares

• See above

• No non humanoid playable races  Though I wish there were, I think this is one of the most over hyped criticisms of the game. I disagree with others that they simply look like humans in different colors. They look varied enough to me and more may be added in expansions. In addition, the starter areas will probably be different and isnt that more important than a bunch of different races in more generic starting areas like Ive seen in other games? AOC had everyone starting in the exact same place.

• One of the appeal of being a SW game is the specie diversity.

• Oversized and spiky shoulder pads This is not the case for each and every class and for each and every gear. In addition I can think of something similar to this in terms of 'out of proportions'' in just about EVERY game out there.

• At least every asian based MMO, it's not the case in LotRo, DDO, SWG, and not so much in AoC

• PvP specific gear (more mess to manage and gear to grind) How come you know more about this than even the beta testers?

• It's been told by a dev. You can also check this

• No social clothing tab I have no idea what this means, but since I wasnt looking for this feature I don't care. Also, I remind you that the game is in beta and we don't know what the final build will be.

• Controversial art choice for some gear sets, especially Inquisitor and Sith. Who cares. This is so subjective.

• Especially when a Sith Inquisitor looks like an African voodoo priest. So much for a SW setting.

• No gear dyes, at best class limited color palette I dont even know if this is true. We haven't seen the final build yet. Either way, the game looks colorful enough.

• Just a matter of being able to have our charcters look like we want

• No Advanced Classes respec   Same answer. We havent seen the latest build yet. How do you know this? Regardless, I think I am torn on this subject. Even if it is true, I'm wondering if this wouldn't be a bad thing so everyone isn't copying and pasting generic trees at release and it forces some variations among those who are in the same advanced class. Regardless, I'm not so sure they won't allow change with some money involved. I though it was more that you cannot change your advanced class, not that you can't respec them.

• SO far you can't change your AC class that's the issue. There will be a skill points respect.

• No multiplayer space combat, PvE & PvP wise You've seen the final build? Either way, doesn't bother me at all.

• Guess you're not into space sim, nor multiplayer .

• Very short space combat scenarios: 2-8 minutes only   You've seen the final build? Either way, doesn't bother me at all.

• It's been officially stated.

• No fighter type small space ships     You've seen the final build? Maybe it will be in their store or expansion? Either way, doesn't bother me at all.

• We are speaking about launch, and yes it's true.

• No choice of space ships chassis You've seen the final build? Either way, doesn't bother me at all.

• Nope, your space ship chassis is imposed by your class choice. It's official.

• No planetary housing (instanced or not)   You've seen the final build? Either way, doesn't bother me at all.

• Housing will be implemented through space ships only, at launch.

• Maybe not even guild halls You've seen the final build? Either way, doesn't bother me at all.

• Wait and see... but there's no multiplayer space content so guild ships.... 

• No day/night cycles   You've seen the final build? Either way, doesn't bother me at all.

• Overwhelming story: not so short dialog cutscene  TOTALLY DISAGREE. Most of us are hoping the story makes us actually pay attention to the quests again.  Also, you;'ve timed the length of each of the dialogue choices in the over 40 novels they are releasing and they are all long and the same length of time?

• Only very short dialogs fits the fast paced MMO group play

• No player bounties ;)   You've seen the final build? You know for sure there won't be quests that leverage this idea in some way? (I am using the word leverage correctly).

• Been said long time ago, plus there's no BH equivalent class on the republic

Just about everything in your list is nonsense and won't impact the fun factor for most normal gamers out there. A game can't have everything. This game is going to have a HUGE amount of options, variations, choices, etc when compared to other games. I expect it to be just as polished as WOW or even more so ( I can't tell you how many bugs I have encountered in Cataclysm).. This list makes me wonder how it is possible for you to enjoy any game out there, because if I dissected every other game that is currently released in the way that you just did, this list would be 100 times the size of what you wrote.

I don't know what's a normal gamer but at least I'm pretty well informed. I'm glad the designers choice fits your liking though. For my part I'd rather be the one in control of my character's look and behavior.

BTW In case you have any doubts none of this comes from leaked infos.

You once posted the following. I am quoting you "It's easy to rant, much more difficult to be constructive.". To me this entire thread is a rant. Nothing constructive about it. Very hypocritical.

There Is Always Hope!

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

Most of that stuff you are complaining about would not effect my fun factor in the slightest, some things I can agree with. Some things you mention I just don't believe or think you just pulled it out of thin air and are jotting it down in this thread as if it were fact.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• slprslpr Member Posts: 340

The only thing i got to say to you is... almost everything you said in your post is unconfirmed and other stuff is just your opinion. So wait till the final product comes out.

• CaskioCaskio Member UncommonPosts: 339

Heroics proportions

No display pet classes

No social clothing tab

No day/night cycles

• Heroics proportions

• Doesn't bother me as they aren't as bad as some MMOs.

• Tho companions are completely optional if you prefer more of a challenge. :)

• Don't care, the companions are part of the story, why should I have the need to change their apperance?

• Don't care, i'd rather have a Companion.

• No display pets

• Fluff?  Display pets have always been an eye sore to me.

• Sith pureblood that look like red skinned elves

• Not any more than a regular human does.

• Are you high?  Trandos don't look like goblins.

• Not an issue for me as many MMOs don't go any further than elves or dwarves. I would never play something that wasn't humanoid anyways.

• You saw 1 sith warrior with them.  Does everyone have this?  No.

• This I actually agree with.  I don't like messing with multiple sets of gear.

• No social clothing tab

• Don't care as i want people to see my accomplishments as i would like to see theirs as well.

• Doesn't bother me, the more different the better I say.

• This I would like to have as well.

• Doesn't bother me as we will be able to reset our points in our AC, but I don't think anyone should be able to just switch ACs.

• Doesn't bother me. SWG:JTL killed this notion of having any form of good 3D space combat in an MMO.

• I like the short space combat runs.  That way I don't spend too much time in a minigame.

• Don't care.

• I'm thinking we will have some form of ship customization but the overall chasis will be static per class, which I'm fine with.

• Don't care. The ship is enough for me.  I prefer the ship .

• We don''t know anything about this yet.

• No day/night cycles

• Doesn't bother me.  I feel some MMOs cycles are too short.

• I'm counting on this, as this is Bioware and I'm here for the MMO, Star Wars, and Story.

• No player bounties ;)

•  Some one is hoping for a SWG2 I think.  Don't care if we have this or not.  It was fun in SWG.

This post editor sucks btw.

I think the game is shaping up nicely and can't wait to get my hands on it.  We'll see you ingame anyways.  ;)

"If you're going to act like a noob, I'll treat you like one." -Caskio

Adventurers wear fancy pants!!!

Your yellow color is much nicer than my red. Its easier on the eyes. For now on YELLOW FTW! lol

There Is Always Hope!

• horsechokerhorsechoker Member Posts: 13

Your complaints are far too subjective and I don't think most consumers will care too much about any of the things you listed. Some points you brought up were pretty unrealistic considering the people who have been following this game never expected them. One thing though, I really hope they don't add a respec feature. I don't want to see FOTM builds everywhere I go. People should build their characters to their own taste and I think a respec feature will seriously cut down on class diversity (just look at WoW). The trick is for Bioware to have perfect balance within all classes and skills to where each one is effective and fills a certain role, but is never favored over another. I've never seen it before, but fuck respecs man.

Originally posted by Caskio

Heroics proportions

No display pet classes

No social clothing tab

No day/night cycles

• Heroics proportions

• Doesn't bother me as they aren't as bad as some MMOs.

• But this is SW, not your fancy asian MMO ;)

• Tho companions are completely optional if you more of a challenge. :)

• I would not mind but I do have an issue as they will be required for multiplayer game play: "you have been kicked by the group leader. Reason: unwilling to use a companion"

• Don't care, the companions are part of the story, why should I have the need to change their apperance?

• So do feel their are you own, not another twin.

• Don't care, i'd rather have a Companion.

• I'd rather a cute or dangerous looking furry (or not) pet

• No display pets

• Fluff?  Display pets have always been an eye sore to me.

• Love them!

• Are you high?  Trandos don't look like goblins.

• Clicky I wish! SWG models are much much better, even years later.

• Not an issue for me as many MMOs don't go any further than elves or dwarves. I would never play something that wasn't humanoid anyways.

• Kind of disappointing for a SW MMO

• You saw 1 sith warrior with them.  Does everyone have this?  No.

• Saw more than one.  However  the non oversized one looks nice. I admit.

• This I actually agree with.  I don't like messing with multiple sets of gear.

• No social clothing tab

• Don't care as i want people to see my accomplishments as i would like to see theirs as well.

• I don't care about other's epeen syndrome ;)

• Doesn't bother me, the more different the better I say.

• Yes, as long as it fits the lore

• This I would like to ahve as well.

• Doesn't bother me as we will be able to reset our points in our AC, but I don't think anyone should be able to just switch ACs.

• Doesn't bother me. SWG:JTL killed this notion of having any form of good 3D space combat in an MMO.

• Agreed, JTL wasn't as good as X-Wing series *makes the sad panda face*

• I like the short space combat runs.  That way I don't spend too much time in a minigame.

• Because it's a minigame. Still for a minigame it will be fun nonetheless. However not a space sim at all/

• Don't care.

• We both know why.

• I'm thinking we will ahve some form of ship customization but the overall chasis will be static per class, which I'm fine with.

• Don't care. The ship is enough for me.  I prefer the ship .

• Not very fond of playing a snail like charcter ^_^, but that's very subjective!

• We don''t know anything about this yet.

• Right, still nothing points towards it. Hope I'm dead wrong though.

• No day/night cycles

• Doesn't bother me.  I feel some MMOs cycles are too short.

• Or not that well done, still it adds immersion feeling

• I'm counting on this, as this is Bioware and I'm here for the MMO, Star Wars, and Story.

• No player bounties ;)

•  Some one is hoping for a SWG2 I think.  Don't care if we have this or not.  It was fun in SWG.

• Was a bit too much designed for the BH as could be used a griefing system. However an enhanced system would have make sense.

This post editor sucks btw.

I think the game is shaping up nicely and can't wait to get my hands on it.  We'll see you ingame anyways.  ;)

Yes and certainly, at least not long after launch as afterwards not sure I'll keep a sub running... but maybe to stay hooked with old timers ;)

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Respecs are a petty cop-out for people who are incapable of playing in a persistent world. The thread is not objective and in reality leaves little to discuss. As well as the standard fare any MMO offeres all the extras and visible content and feedback from testers shows this game will be something to be cherished.

APPLAUSE for Bioware .... roll on release.

Haters should really move on ...

False Expectations are just that , don't fall into the trap it will ruin your gaming experience let the developers develop and the gamers play....

APPLAUSE for Bioware .... roll on release.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    I don't know why some people expect a BW game to be a sandbox game with total freedom. This will be a BW story based RPG first in a MMO universe. Open persistant world gaming with MMO features but limited to a pre-written SW story of TOR. Players will need to understand this in order to enjoy the game. There will be some freedom with multiple ways to level. Not just following the story. Also with open worlds that reward exporation. But it will not be a sandbox. Understanding this, I will have a lot of fun in this game and can't wait for launch.NSorry that you are having a problem with these issues OP.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Are you high?  Trandos don't look like goblins.

• Clicky I wish! SWG models are much much better, even years later.

Actually that looks a lot closer to a lizard/dinosaur then anytype of goblin i know.

Fantasy goblins tend to be green, this one is brown (color is subjective) goblins to be short, this one is tall

Goblins tend to be smooth, this one is more scaly.  It has more in common with a lizard or tricartops then anything goblin.  In no way does that Trandoshan remind me of a goblin. Maybe i'm not thinking of the right type of goblin,  who knows. but at first glance i don't think goblin. I think very large lizard.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

So other than the fact that most of the OP points are subjective, is there any shred of points worth discussing?

Or is it a case of 'I'm sorry this fictional creature doesn't look like how you want it' x 100?

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• scarykids2scarykids2 Member UncommonPosts: 74

so after reading msot responses, ive come to know that this post is just retarded.

• AgathuAgathu Member UncommonPosts: 39

I just have one question, what type of "Non-Humanoid" did you want to play as?

The reason I ask this is because I think of any race that has a body simmilar to a human (i.e 2 legs, 2 arms, torso, head) to be a humanoid. When I think non humanoid I think of a something like a squid, something that does not look like a human at all.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
    Herm Albright
    (1876 - 1944)

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

Wait, your staying star wars didn't sell itself on skinny women with nice boobies? Jabba lied to me. As to the rest, if it is an issue they will work it out. They have already said they want to have space based pvp and group fighting later on in space, but it will not be an at launch thing. They want it to be more like KoToR and less like STO, space battles were never the main focus of the star wars fanchise.

The reason you can't customise your companions is also obvious, because they are not npc man 102 that you can play around with nameing and altering like in STO, they are actually characters with a back story and everything that bioware has made up. If they were just normal, random, npcs it would be different. As to the look of armor and dyes, I don't see that as a big deal either. Aside from mandolorians most troops in the galaxy at any time have had unifrom outfits, even jedi.

Most of the other complaints the op had have either been hinted to be in the works, or are a little dumb. They have said that you might see non humans in later expainsions, and they were really considering it, but wanted to do a whole race origin thing to make you understand them better.

As to fighters they don't work with the theme of the game, how are you going to pack a bunch of companions into a fighter? Also the companions are more than cannon fodder and they make sense to be there. The game has a lot of the clone wars cartoon series look, and it works out well. It won't make people have to buy super powerful computers to run it when it comes out.

Lastly, in any game with optional pvp battle grounds the pvp gear is an option you can opt out of. The game is not made as much for gear grinding as story, so it won't appeal to people who want to just rush to the end, get gear, and be awsome. As well a social clothing tab, to date has been in only three or four of the many mmo's. It's an addition most dev's see as pointless.

Let's forget the cartoonish look, the big and spiky shoulder pads and the heroic proportions and the goblinoid looking Trandoshan because we can agree it's a matter of personal taste. In my book they don't fit a SW theme, but I can understand some (a lot?) people like them.

Then let's not take into account the space feature because, as stated by the devs it's a ,mostly avoidable, mini game. (Note: you will have to do some easy space missions through your class story).

Now for an MMO more oriented towards story and let's say RPG:  Character's customization should not be dictated by the stats and some iconic looks, nor should  you be required to play a pet class in a MMO. (BTW I always play pet classes).

We're certainly not going to play a moisture farmer in TOR and that's fine, even if it could have been pretty fun. However in the end when every maxed out character will run around with the same slave (companion tagged with his master's name) in quite the same iconic gear I do have an issue: this is not the WoW factor I'm looking for.

Will the game be fun, certainly. Still the uniqueness and sense of ownership of our characters might certainly taste a bit bitter.

It will be my pleasure to review my bold statement once the NDA is lifted. Until then I invite you to read the assumed review I wrote some time ago.

No thanks, I'll pass lol.

There Is Always Hope!

• AgathuAgathu Member UncommonPosts: 39

We're certainly not going to play a moisture farmer in TOR and that's fine, even if it could have been pretty fun. However in the end when every maxed out character will run around with the same slave (companion tagged with his master's name) in quite the same iconic gear I do have an issue: this is not the WoW factor I'm looking for.

How do you know they will all be using the same companion? I am not even sure people from the same class will always be using the same companion as people have different tastes. Also, it has been stated that there are thousands of armor sets, so what makes you think everyone is going to be running around looking the same?

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
    Herm Albright
    (1876 - 1944)

Originally posted by Thorak

How do you know they will all be using the same companion? I am not even sure people from the same class will always be using the same companion as people have different tastes. Also, it has been stated that there are thousands of armor sets, so what makes you think everyone is going to be running around looking the same?

Companions will always get the 2nd choice of gear.

I can be wrong but we can predict templates will emerge mixing specific classes with specific companions.

=> Class / Companions mix won't be that different from each others contrary to what BioWare is seeing in their test sessions as when it will hit mainstream it will all converge at some point. Well... maybe ;)

Note to GMan3 and Horesechocker, I would invite you to read the other thread I linked before you go away. Honestly if there wasn't people like me fighting for such details in 10 years we would still be playing dumbed down version with lack of choice.

Funny thing is last time I spoke with a close friend that's senior designer on multiple AAA games and we agreed that

• I look too much in details, details that the designers nor producers didn't even thought about most of the time

• I'm way too far thinking for the player, too often the designers just don't look that far...

• It's just about games ;)
  • IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by Thorak

Companions will always get the 2nd choice of gear.

I can be wrong but we can predict templates will emerge mixing specific classes with specific companions.

=> Class / Companions mix won't be that different from each others contrary to what BioWare is seeing in their test sessions as when it will hit mainstream it will all converge at some point. Well... maybe ;)

Note to GMan3 and Horesechocker, I would invite you to read the other thread I linked before you go away. Honestly if there wasn't people like me fighting for such details in 10 years we would still be playing dumbed down version with lack of choice.

Funny thing is last time I spoke with a close friend that's senior designer on multiple AAA games and we agreed that

• I look too much in details, details that the designers nor producers didn't even thought about most of the time

• I'm way too far thinking for the player, too often the designers just don't look that far...

• It's just about games ;)

UHm I think GMAN3 and Horsechocker are right , you seem to be producing lots of meaningless text that adds little to the real discussion.

Your wrap up and summary just seems scewed in some way can't put my finger on it.  I think you are trying but am not ure what your real intentions are... But I don't think you are adding any value, I may be wrong...

I think I will put my faith in Bioware rather than someone who "believes" , he is better than the designers or thats the impression you are trying to make, I just had to laugh at that line.

I think what hinders the fun in MMORPGs, are people who take the games too seriously and demand certain features that play against longevity and the persistant nature of the gaming world. I could go into the design concepts that support each of these but guess what I'm not being paid to ham it up on these forumns. And you understand all of this anyway...

The ability to be concise is an Art you should try it maybe that way you may get a point or two accross...

I think I'm boired now