Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trying to find a differant kind of mmo, questions about fallen earth.

AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

I was looking for more of a sci fi but there really is not much out there other then global agenda which is great for my pvp fix but I need a pve group fix mmo, so my questions are is there futuristic weapons in this or are is most of the melee and ranged weapons modern looking? Any good looking armor at all? And is there any powers in this game like genetics and such, oh and can you specialize in it or do you have to use weapons?

I pretty much heard about the crafting and pve and sounds amazing and the 30 day trial is very generous, anyways thanks everyone.

Comments

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495

Alright, here is the strait skinny on FE. It is an absolutely amazing world with ambiance and fantastic art direction. The story is incredible and for a roleplayer there are some really strong communities. Now with that said, as a game... it is pretty much a resounding MEH.

You asked about PvE. Well here is the rub. There is a lot of it but... you will do it all solo. There is almost .0001% grouping in the game mostly because there is zero reason to do so. All the mobs are increadibly easy to solo all the way to level cap and with the absence of any real dungeons you will very very very rarely find people grouping. This MAY have changed a little with their latest combat patch but from what I have read the changes have been very small.

You asked about crafting. It is funny. PvE and crafting is exactly why I chose FE in the first place, that and the fact that like you I was desperate for a good sci-fi game since Anarchy Online has been aging into fossilization. Crafting is cool, indepth, and everything in the game you would want to use is crafted... but... every player that decides to craft, can craft ANYTHING in the game. There are no markets. You can be a neuclear physicist, carpenter, armorer, ballistics engineer, chemist, iron chef, mechanic. Because I guess in the future all those fields are much easier to master then they are now.

I love to craft, I love playing the market and gaining/maintaining a customer base. But in a game where just about everyone has a crafter mule that makes everything in the game you are going to have a difficult time selling anything. On that note, if you decide to craft, you won't be doing much else. The way the system works if you put enough points into the necessary skills to craft the high end, desired items, you will be gimped enough in every other area as to be ineffective in PvP which... is about all there is to do in this game.

Unfortunately, like most PvP games, the supah-ubah pewpew pwnage templates are already well established and anyone not adhering to them is pretty much skeeeroood. I know I sound way down on the game but trust me. Go to the game's main forums and read a few threads, like... this one: http://forums.fallenearth.com/fallenearth/showthread.php?t=44201

I REALLY wanted to love this game. It had SO MUCH POTENTIAL to be the next greatest sci-fi MMO. Too bad the developers didn't really know what pieces go into an MMO.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

How's the potential for farming materials as a profession?  Are they difficult to sell?

Things like skinning mining salvage etc.  I've always found farming and kill xp as a decent way to level.  Will that gimp a build?

Reason I ask is I'm bored, and need a change of pace.  Upgraded my Brand-X MMO to see the new questing system and bleh... should have saved the cash.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

How's the potential for farming materials as a profession?  Are they difficult to sell?

Things like skinning mining salvage etc.  I've always found farming and kill xp as a decent way to level.  Will that gimp a build?

Reason I ask is I'm bored, and need a change of pace.  Upgraded my Brand-X MMO to see the new questing system and bleh... should have saved the cash.

Oh if you like harvesting, FE is harvesting heaven.  The way to make (not stellar but) decent income out of harvesting and crafting, at least to start with, is to make crappy low level stuff out of the crap you harvest as you go (you craft "on the move", as it were - although you can craft faster if you're in designated crafting buildings) and then sell to the vendors.  That gives you a decent flow of steady income.  As to any more esoteric market practices, I don't know, but there have been many discussions about how the fact that anyone can craft anything sort of limits the market.  However, you do have to have a dedicated crafter build to make high end stuff, so I think there's a market at the high end.

The above poster was pretty fair on the game.  It's a game I can't help keeping coming back to, as the atmosphere really is special, but then I usually unsub after a month as I start to get annoyed with the little problems. 

Bottom line, if you like sandboxy games and you're an "MMO hopper", and if you mostly play solo in MMOs anyway, and if you like the post-Apocalyptic scenario, FE will probably find a place in your heart.  And it does have the potential, eventually, to get  really good if the devs keep ploughing on with improvements as they have been doing so far.