Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Working As Intended

Comments

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by Paradoxy

Originally posted by Leucent

Originally posted by elocke

Enjoy your shallow game for a few months until real EPIC feeling games arrive in the guise of SWTOR and GW2.  Until then, I'm quite happy in WoW, Lotro and Darkfall because they do EVERYTHING better than Rift.

Next gen my ass.

I have to laugh at this post. even though its childish whatever you have written i would like to assure you of one thing. SWTOR and GW2 will burn on these forums in the same way. Quote this post, print it and stick it on your wall. There will be so much moaning and crying when these two titles will come out that there won't be enough buckets in the world to hold the tears. I will come and poke you then when you will be defending these titles like a white knight and fighting the trolls with tooth and nail.

GW2 and SWTOR are not innovative in any way. They are like Rift, doing couple of things different but not breaking any barriers or trying to bring any revolution to MMO genre. For all those calling Rift linear, i would love to see there reaction when they will play SWTOR. its going to be priceless.

So you ve played both, cool tell me more.

i can ask the same question to those who call SWTOR and GW2 epic, innovative, revolutionay, next gen....

I am just looking for one word FUN, nothing more.

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/dynamic-events/dynamic-events-overview/

under the section entitled "benefits to replay and exploring" Colin mentions the word fun.

he also uses it a few times during the manifesto video if you haven't seen it yet.

• AzzkickaAzzkicka Member Posts: 157

Originally posted by ste2000

Originally posted by stayontarget

Then one may ask: Does Rift meet those expectations for you?

granted Rift is only in beta/stress test and has not shown you everything, but.....was it fun for you.

Yes it was ;) i am going to have equal amounts of fun with Tera, GW2 and Swtor. I don't even know how i am going to juggle all these 4 mmos.lol. Makes my head hurt when i think about it.

That's all that matters.  Trust me you are not alone,  people will play this game and have fun doing it.  It just won't have the huge sub numbers wow has but is that really a bad thing.....

....nope

Yes because this is the kind of game people will play for 2 months and move on.

People are complaining because they were expecting a good quality MMO that they could play for years not for a couple of months like all the crap released recently.

Like Warhammer people will say this game is fun,fun,fun.

After a couple of months people will ask "where all the people who said the game was fun gone?"

Answer: to the next "fun" game

You know there is a big difference between Warhammer and Rift.  Even now after Warhammer has been released for what 2 years?  And none of you can see it.

Its called polish.

How many people quit Warhammer b/c the interface was not fluid and when you pressed a button nothing happened for 1 second?  Or that keep sieges were completely unplayable with more then 30 players were involved.  Or what about itemization that had warrior and priest stats on mage gear?  Or dungeons that were so bugged that they were unfinishable.

These are reason people leave games.  B/c they are not finished.  I know thats why i quit Warhammer, AoC, and Aion.  I know thats why alot of my friends quit said games.

People say we dont need another generic fantasy game, but none in the last 3 years have delivered anytthing that they have promised.  They didnt work at release, and when people got to end end game there was nothing to do.

I actually saw a post today complaining Rift didnt have enough dungeons.  Have people lost their minds?  It has what 14ish? + heroic modes with NEW CONTENT ADDED?  Aion launched with what? 4?

• LeviathonlxLeviathonlx Member Posts: 135

My biggest issue with Rift is the lack of unique races. It has annoyed me to no end the past 2 Beta's that I can actually see a base model was used for each race which makes them all look alike from a distance unless it's a dwarf. You can see the same veins in each males arm, the same shadowing and every female has the same exact breasts. The game boils down to human races that look exactly the same besides skin color, 2 elf races that look the same besides skin color and a dwarf race that looks more like hobbits. I just wanted some, you know, actual unique creative races but it seems only Blizzard knows how to make races that have detail and stand out from each other. Course only Blizzard knows how to make anthromorphic races actually have digitrade legs it seems (well ArenaNet knows how with the Charr but that's no surprise considering their Lead Devs worked at Blizzard years ago).

• DungeonLlamaDungeonLlama Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by dragonbrand

Thank you Bill. Well put.

My feelings are similar. The attention span of today's gamer is so short; more along the lines of forgetting yesterday's preview of what a game aims to be and what it is not trying to be. I cant recall that Rift ever hyped itself to be new and innovative beyond their soul system and the Rift events.

And so many people waiting on the PVP play in game; I think they are going to be seriously disspaointed. As I recall Rift's PVP is going to be a minor aspect. Furthermore they said that they weren't going to try to balance the calsses for PVP.

We will hear plenty of complaints in short order about that as well. People will have forgotten or just plain ignored what Trion has said.

Additionally, this game has seemingly come out of the chute bug-free. So many complaints about other games and their launches were about how buggy and laggy they were and how the game lost fans forever because of it.

*edit for spelling

Well let me first say that I like Rifts. I was very disappointed with beta 1, but in beta 2 they got my attention. Why? Because they were so responsive to customer requests and complaints and made a ton of changes between the two that made the game better.  If they fix the rift mechanics to be more dynamic, scalable and less predictable I think they will have a hit on their hands.

However I understand completely why people are complaining about what they thought Rifts would be and I am surprised by the original article by Bill and responses like the above. Have you guys actually watched any of the Rift movies? Once again I am surprised at the lack of knowledge about this game coming from a reviewer. I went back and listened to just one movie and heard them promising how they'd be different on day 1.  The most recent movie they say they will be a next gen MMO with everything you'd expect in an MMO...okay..so far so good. They have that and as the reviewer and others have said it's not much different than what we have.  However keep listening.  Here I'll like it for anyone who wants to listen.

http://www.cybexintl.com/products/cardio/750A/intro.aspx watch the Enter the Rift vid.

If you go past this point above you will hear very clearly.."Next Gen meaning it advances the genre the day it ships." This is a direct quote. And it's not the only time you hear them say things like this in the videos or in interviews. Just hearing this and basing it on the article by Bill, could you not see why some people are upset?  We are basically told we'll see things we don't see in any other game. Rifts are cool, but really people have already related them to PQ's from Warhammer or even Champions, only more random. However after you've done enough Rifts you don't see very much dynamic-ness in them.

The beta community has been giving many suggestions and based on what Trion has done so far to respond to us, I have some faith that they are going to still keep making changes. Will it have everything I want? No, not likely, but it is only beta and they are making massive changes between each one. They have the skeleton in the rifts system and if they can put the right skin on it they'll have something special I think.

Still when you are promised we will advance the genre and you see the truth of what Bill and others have said that it doesn't really do much to advance the genre...there is a clear conflict between what is communicated thus far and what is delivered. I still think they can deliver however and I'll wait until launch.

However I do want to say that I agree with Bill and others on one point. The wheel doesn't always have to be reinvented. Some systems are familiar and will stay so. I think this is good. It helps the learning curve and helps you get into the game immediately. I watched my wife, an MMO newb able to understand and grasp the concepts so long as she paid attention. Some things being the same as everyone else isn't a bad thing.

Still they've said dynamic combat, but it's about the same as we've ever seen, the quote above about advancing the genre, but they haven't gotten there yet, etc. One thing I will say with it being beta and Trion being as responsive as they have been, I would be careful of anyone just writing it off yet. They have the formula there to be truly dynamic and different.

I'm kinda having to wonder about reviews here. Yesterday the review put up made it seem the reviewer had only been in beta 1 and the information was out dated and today this article makes it seem like the reviewer has missed many of the interviews, and videos have that have come out implying and even saying that they would be different from every other game. While it might not do any good to be upset about it, when you are told one thing and come to find out something different you are going to feel that way.

I would however encourage anyone to check it out as it does tend to get better and better and beta 3 if you can get in promises to have some even better changes...fingers crossed for some good Rift mechanic changes.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Leucent

It s the same 4 or 5 people defending the hell out of Rift. Alot are saying it s ok and will keep them busy till something else comes out. It seems to me alot of people are sick of the same old, and well I don t blame them. Rift is ok, boring to me but ok. That said I can understand people looking forward to it, just not me and it seems alot of people as well.

I don't know if you included me in them, but if so, it isn't as much as 'defending Rift' as pricking at the nonsensical argumentation you sometimes - and on these forums with all these jaded MMO gamers it's often - see being used. The hypocrisy and double standards disgust and amuse me at the same time, so I'm actually having fun digging at the deeper patterns and causes and exposing that for a number of jaded and bored MMO gamers but certainly not all  their problem isn't so much the new MMORPG, but lies with them and their general feeling towards MMORPG's. MMO burnout.

It's like hanging around with friends and acquaintances sometimes that are in a borderline depression: they keep trashing and scorning everything and everyone, being nonstop negative about it all, where the real problem isn't with their environment or all these situations but with them and the negative spiral their state of mind is in.

But regarding liking or not liking a game, heck, everyone likes MMO's that others hate or dislikes MMO's that others enjoy or have fun with. Nothing wrong with that, or saying that you don't like a game or that you like a game and why.

But if they project their (unrealistic) hopes and wishes on every next MMORPG as well as their frustrations when each fails to save them from their boredom, I don't mind at all pointing out to people like that that their troubles lies elsewhere, and deeper.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• DungeonLlamaDungeonLlama Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by Azzkicka

Originally posted by ste2000

Then one may ask: Does Rift meet those expectations for you?

granted Rift is only in beta/stress test and has not shown you everything, but.....was it fun for you.

Yes it was ;) i am going to have equal amounts of fun with Tera, GW2 and Swtor. I don't even know how i am going to juggle all these 4 mmos.lol. Makes my head hurt when i think about it.

That's all that matters.  Trust me you are not alone,  people will play this game and have fun doing it.  It just won't have the huge sub numbers wow has but is that really a bad thing.....

....nope

Yes because this is the kind of game people will play for 2 months and move on.

People are complaining because they were expecting a good quality MMO that they could play for years not for a couple of months like all the crap released recently.

Like Warhammer people will say this game is fun,fun,fun.

After a couple of months people will ask "where all the people who said the game was fun gone?"

Answer: to the next "fun" game

You know there is a big difference between Warhammer and Rift.  Even now after Warhammer has been released for what 2 years?  And none of you can see it.

Its called polish.

How many people quit Warhammer b/c the interface was not fluid and when you pressed a button nothing happened for 1 second?  Or that keep sieges were completely unplayable with more then 30 players were involved.  Or what about itemization that had warrior and priest stats on mage gear?  Or dungeons that were so bugged that they were unfinishable.

These are reason people leave games.  B/c they are not finished.  I know thats why i quit Warhammer, AoC, and Aion.  I know thats why alot of my friends quit said games.

People say we dont need another generic fantasy game, but none in the last 3 years have delivered anytthing that they have promised.  They didnt work at release, and when people got to end end game there was nothing to do.

I actually saw a post today complaining Rift didnt have enough dungeons.  Have people lost their minds?  It has what 14ish? + heroic modes with NEW CONTENT ADDED?  Aion launched with what? 4?

I agree with your comments on polish. If there is something this game definitely is is polished. No lag, no login issues save when they are doing server maintenance, and while I've been looking I've found no game breaking bugs and very few minor ones. Others have of course, it's not perfect, but I honestly think this game could launch tomorrow so far as mechanics and polish is concerned. Though I hope they don't as there are many areas still needing work in taking certain things from theory to practice. Still I've been involved in a lot of betas as I'm sure others here have, but I've never seen one that seems as finished as this one. Props to Trion on that.

• MogcatMogcat Member UncommonPosts: 193

I aint the minority. Im the majority, 17 year old who started MMOs with WoW. Especially my kind wouldnt touch this with a 10foot pole hell 99% of my kind dont even know the game exists. This game is for the minority here, but seems that the peeps here aint that happy. OP. Hmmmmmm I think the people here just dont want crap. Honestly I though they could of done a bit better. A city consisting of a building a few tents! Sheeesh I knew I was right to be suspicious when I saw that flythrough. I said, now Mogcat shut your mouth its only a flythrough but seems I was right. Sigh...back to Orgrimmar it is!

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

Originally posted by DungeonLlama

Its called polish.

I agree with your comments on polish. If there is something this game definitely is is polished. No lag, no login issues save when they are doing server maintenance, and while I've been looking I've found no game breaking bugs and very few minor ones. Others have of course, it's not perfect, but I honestly think this game could launch tomorrow so far as mechanics and polish is concerned. Though I hope they don't as there are many areas still needing work in taking certain things from theory to practice. Still I've been involved in a lot of betas as I'm sure others here have, but I've never seen one that seems as finished as this one. Props to Trion on that.

Haha, Badlands still crash when 100 players are fighting in WAR. Where as in RIFT i was with 500 players with another 100 mobs spawned everywhere. No crash, little bit of lag and very respectable FPS. But who cares? those who are here to hate RIFT will never mention positive things like these.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Why are they outraged? I'll tell ya why. Some are gamers who were hoping that this time a big budget game company might actually try to produce somthing different, rather than just another cupcake slathered in pretty icing. Sadly they let their hope blind their common sense as the makers of Rifts were pretty clear about what kind of game they were making.

The rest ......(sung to the tune of the old Flinstones vitamin commercials)

"They're addicted kids, twelve million strong and groooowing." 

Their current playpen has gotten too small for them, but instead of learning to walk, wipe their own bottom, and actually go out and explore the real world around them, they just keep hoping the new, shinier play pen from Ikea, will be enough to make them feel like a warm and fuzzy kid again. It never is and it never does, so they just crawl back in the fuggy and somewhat stained comfort of their old playpen prison.

Until the gamers themselves wake up and decide to change and break out of this cycle of self dissapointment because they can't be bothered to find something esle to do but play the same boring ass games over and over again, the industry will continue to pump out lackluster title after lackluster title.

Gammers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose except your playpen!!!! (And in some cases, a little weight, and possibly your virginity)

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

Quite frankly this game would be acceptable if the marketing didn't throw around words like HD and next-gen.

If you see all the marketing you'd expect to have something different(ie next-gen) You login to the world to see exactly what you've seen for the past 5+ years. That's a big letdown.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

Aimed at the original article:

I was one of the people that was dissapointed with Rift so far.  I was in both beta events and gave feedback and bug reports while I was there.  I am under no illusion the game company owes me anything, nor at this stage do I expect the game to change much from what it is at the moment.

I agree it was not what I was looking for and wish people who it does appeal to all the best, if people find enjoyment then fantastic!

I did however diagree with the preview.

Not because I want the game to die.  The more alternatives out there the better for the MMO industry, regardless of whether I like them or not.

Not because I felt slighted that the game isn't catered for me.

I disagreed with the article because it felt more like hype than a preview, a lot more.  This coming from a person who wrote about hype himself and the need to be wary of it, is, several articles later, fuelling it for another game.  Moreso when, as a staff writer for a large MMO site, the words will no doubt carry more wieght than those of the average player among those looking for something to invest their time and hard earned money into.

Originally posted by Tardcore

Why are they outraged? I'll tell ya why. Some are gamers who were hoping that this time a big budget game company might actually try to produce somthing different, rather than just another cupcake slathered in pretty icing. Sadly they let their hope blind their common sense as the makers of Rifts were pretty clear about what kind of game they were making.

The rest ......(sung to the tune of the old Flinstones vitamin commercials)

"They're addicted kids, twelve million strong and groooowing." 

Their current playpen has gotten too small for them, but instead of learning to walk, wipe their own bottom, and actually go out and explore the real world around them, they just keep hoping the new, shinier play pen from Ikea, will make them a warm and fuzzy kid again. It never is and it never does, so they just crawl back in the fuggy and somewhat stained comfort of their old playpen prison.

Until the gamers themselves wake up and decide to change and break out of this cycle of self dissapointment because they can't be bothered to find something esle to do but play the same boring ass games over and over again, the industry will continue to pump out lackluster title after lackluster title.

Gammers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose except your playpen!!!! (And in some cases, a little weight, and possibly your virginity)

Cool, mate, more posts like this image

+1

Preach the gospel!

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• cathal12cathal12 Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by AngryPitbull

Enjoy your shallow game for a few months until real EPIC feeling games arrive in the guise of SWTOR and GW2.  Until then, I'm quite happy in WoW, Lotro and Darkfall because they do EVERYTHING better than Rift.

Next gen my ass.

GW2 might be something new and different ... but if you think TOR is going to be anything other than what we've seen before then get your tissue ready. 

Trust me when I tell you ... TOR is just like everything else you've ever played.  Feel free though to get your hopes up, I'll be seeing you back here after the NDA drops to mop up your tears.

WRONG.  I never said I didn't like Rift because it was like every other game I've played.  I don't like it because it claims to be next gen and it plays and feels like a polished FTP.  I fully expect SWTOR to be WoW in space with ten times the depth and story that WoW has never fulfilled.

Good Luck and i hope you don't mind waiting til the next OMG Uber MMO starts it's development run. It's human nature to always hope that the next relationship/car/house/date is better than what you have already experienced . 

Now, having said that, please don't stop telling the developers what you want to see in a MMO because that's the only way they know what you want to see/do/experience in your MMO's.

Bill, that was a very good article, Thank You

cathal12

• KolbaltKolbalt Member Posts: 3

I agree with you on that burnout hits people and it digs in until they realize they're neck deep and  sick of the genre altogether. That's why everyone needs some variety in their portfolios. Pick up a FPS or TBS... something or anything that isn't a MMOw/e.

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

Originally posted by SBFord

Rift is a perfect game for folks who want more of the EQ2, WAR, WoW, LotRO, style but are sick of the previously mentioned games and would like to see a new take on the tried and true model.

That would be great if this were true.  They've emphasized in past interviews how they've taken the best parts of all those games and incorporated them into Rift.  I like EQ2 and LotRO and would have been thrilled to see something similar but with the addition of Rifts.  It didn't need to be next gen or something completely different.  I would have been perfectly happy seeing a "new take on the tried and true model" I've gotten accustomed to.

There's a lot of EQ2 players on their forums.  And I think much of the disappointment on the forums was from expecting to see some similarity.  I'm not sure what best part they were talking about taking from EQ2.  The only similarity I saw was shiny collections.  And one of the Lord of the RIngs best features is the tremendously open world ripe for exploration and full of immersiveness as town npc's walk about, going about their business.  Rift most definitely didn't have that feature.

But I did see a new take on the Warhammer model.  And in that regard they definitely did improve on that model.  You start out in much the same way with explosions and fires going on everywhere and then proceed in a straight line to the next hub through a small world jam packed with mobs.  If Rift's PvP is decent then I would think that anyone who enjoyed Warhammer would probably really like Rift.  But a lot of folks that had expectations for Rift are coming from PvE mmo's.  And when you compare the PvE experience to EQ2, LotRO, and WoW, it's not anywhere near as engaging.  The Rifts themselves were definitely a lot of fun the first few times.  But the questing experience itself was not fun at all for me.

In spite of my not liking certain aspects, I really like the Trion team and how responsive they were during beta.  I think they're listening to all the feedback, and while they can't be making any major changes at this point, I still have hope for the 20+ experience which I have yet to see.   But from a 1-20 perspective, saying this the perfect game for those who want more of EQ2, WoW, and LotRO is a bit off the mark.  But more of WAR? Then yes I'd agree.

Originally posted by Kolbalt

I agree with you on that burnout hits people and it digs in until they realize they're neck deep and  sick of the genre altogether. That's why everyone needs some variety in their portfolios. Pick up a FPS or TBS... something or anything that isn't a MMOw/e.

Cool. Thanks, mate, for the understanding image

And I agree, variation or just stepping back from the genre for a longer period of time can help a lot with that.

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

Originally posted by cyphers

Originally posted by Benthon

Originally posted by travamars

Originally posted by cyphers

Originally posted by Aglaranna

...And the comment being made every time someone doesn't like a new mmo "your just burned out" is getting to be very weak. People may not be "burned out of playing mmo's, but they may be "burned out" from paying money to buy the 'same old same old'.

^This. Thank you.

Then don't pay money to buy the 'same old same old', everyone's allowed to stick with their 'same old same old' MMORPG they've been playing for years and paid their tribute subs for.

Or, an even more daring idea, if they want something else than the 'same old same old', here's a thought, they could finally muster up the guts to try and play actually different MMORPG's that are out there instead of the 'same old' ones, Vanguard, Fallen Earth, Perpetuum Online, Darkfall, Ryzom, EVE Online, Mortal Online, just to name a few.

You know, 'put your money where your mouth is', so to say.

I know, that's hard, it's far easier to just keep on complaining while keeping yourself stuck in a rut and not making any changes in your MMO gaming. You only have to look at the neverending complaining on these forums image

(besides the actually well founded and more balanced criticisms that also can be found on these sites ofc, almost buried under the incessant and unrealistic whining)

Wow you really think you know all about what everyone thinks and does. Yes everyones allowed to stick with their old mmo's, thanks for allowing that. If only it hadn't taken so many other new game titles to realize they were the 'same old' life could have been easier. Now we have cryptic descriptions of how games are to decipher.

What makes you think people haven't 'mustered up the guts' and played those games you mentioned? Are they supposed to love those game because their the only ones left?

I guess the 'well founded and balanced criticisms' you mention are the ones the agree with you. Since everyone with a different opinion is 'burned out' or 'has no guts' or 'stuck in a rut'. Dont assume you know all about a person just because they dont become instant fanboys of the newest game on the market.

You said, "burned out for paying for the 'same old same old'"... so stop paying money for the 'same old same old' and start paying money for something else?

I think that was his basis.

Ah, I didn't see this post until now. Yep, just as Benthon said image

The reason i paid for previous 'same olds' was becuase they claimed to be something new and differant. I've now learned not to believe the constant BS that gets thrown around before the game comes out. I wont be falling for that with rift.

Cyphers you just continue to call everybody 'burned out' and 'bored' and maybe you'll convince others to spend their money. You've repeated that same statement in EVERY post you've made and if thats the only excuse you can come up with as to why some people dont like the game you need to educate yourself.

• NadiliNadili Member Posts: 197

Originally posted by Cherise

Originally posted by SBFord

Rift is a perfect game for folks who want more of the EQ2, WAR, WoW, LotRO, style but are sick of the previously mentioned games and would like to see a new take on the tried and true model.

That would be great if this were true.  They've emphasized in past interviews how they've taken the best parts of all those games and incorporated them into Rift.  I like EQ2 and LotRO and would have been thrilled to see something similar but with the addition of Rifts.  It didn't need to be next gen or something completely different.  I would have been perfectly happy seeing a "new take on the tried and true model" I've gotten accustomed to.

There's a lot of EQ2 players on their forums.  And I think much of the disappointment on the forums was from expecting to see some similarity.  I'm not sure what best part they were talking about taking from EQ2.  The only similarity I saw was shiny collections.  And one of the Lord of the RIngs best features is the tremendously open world ripe for exploration and full of immersiveness as town npc's walk about, going about their business.  Rift most definitely didn't have that feature.

But I did see a new take on the Warhammer model.  And in that regard they definitely did improve on that model.  You start out in much the same way with explosions and fires going on everywhere and then proceed in a straight line to the next hub through a small world jam packed with mobs.  If Rift's PvP is decent then I would think that anyone who enjoyed Warhammer would probably really like Rift.  But a lot of folks that had expectations for Rift are coming from PvE mmo's.  And when you compare the PvE experience to EQ2, LotRO, and WoW, it's not anywhere near as engaging.  The Rifts themselves were definitely a lot of fun the first few times.  But the questing experience itself was not fun at all for me.

In spite of my not liking certain aspects, I really like the Trion team and how responsive they were during beta.  I think they're listening to all the feedback, and while they can't be making any major changes at this point, I still have hope for the 20+ experience which I have yet to see.   But from a 1-20 perspective, saying this the perfect game for those who want more of EQ2, WoW, and LotRO is a bit off the mark.  But more of WAR? Then yes I'd agree.

I agree as a EQ2 player who has never played WoW it's a new experience for me and I do see elements of EQ2 as well.  I have dabbled around with LoTRO and WAR some and like certain aspects of each and see some in RIft which is fine.  For me it's a good MMO under the twist of the class system and rifts which I do find fun the super invasions are also tons of fun.  I think alot of the EQ2 playerbase was expecting with Scott on board it might be EQ2 2.0 and I am happy it isn't.

Hell if this game turns out to be WAR done right I am fine with that too.

• LodenDSGLodenDSG Member Posts: 266

The fact that its clasic is what I like; I have played in both beta events and found nothing that turned me off. I found good old traditional high fantasy story, plenty of char development options what with the souls and all. Honistly even without the rifts and invasions I would still be intrested only because I prefer the clasic style and well there isnt a modern available option really; I do play the older MMOs to get my clasic fix but welcome some more uptodate graphics cleaner UI and a new IP to learn about.

Just for not rifts them selves arnt any thing new well they are in this implementation but haveing a server dynamicly generate events has been tryed by a few others before never to much sucesses; GMs leading events not uncomon at all in older MMOs, scheduled spawned events rather common really so ya the fact that they have such a system is nice dont get me wrong I have enjoyed it but its not the saling factor for me at all; what sales it to me is the traditional high fantasy MMO aspect.

On top of all the "clasic" that it has going on its done some intresting but not revolutionary I would say not even evolutionary things with the class structure nothing more than giving us more fredom in choosing what we want to be when we grow up but I like it . . . I loved Asheron's Call's method (no classes at all really) just for note this amount of freedom is horible for PvP if your looking for carfuly class balanced PvP play forget it; not gona happen without putting tighter ristrictions and tweeking the hell out of the viable builds which in effect removes the freedome mentioned above.

To sum all that up yes its basicly a legacy MMO with a new skin and a new but not original IP and that is why I like it. Revolutionary MMOs are cool to and I enjoy them as well but I will be so glad if this turns out to be a modern take on the clasics of MMORPG game play we have been painfuly lacking in that department as of late.

A few side notes;

Some one mentioned above the lack of character creation options and I agree it would be nice to have some body sliders so I can make a tuby mage or a scrawny rouge and I would love to see more options for armor 1-20 every one gets to looking alike having said that its by no means a deal breaker while I might like a tuby mage waring not the same robes as you honistly in thouse games that have provided lots of options the feature while cool and well noticed at early levels completly slips from my mined all together about mid ways through or earlier perhaps thats just me but there you have it im not gona throw Rift away if they dont let me be a fat mage :)

Basic quests; my bigest complaint about the questing is the type of questing but the fact that they give you to much info I would really rather have to search for the X on the map not simply press M and locate it on the map or worse yet follow the gold arrow but again quests arnt a big part of my MMO day I actualy like to grind and so spend more time than Im sure the devs intended slaughtering a give mob type just for the joy of digital genocide :) as such the cookie cutter quest + hand holding doesnt put me off not what I would have chosen in design but not a deal breaker either

Combat: I played through several diffrent combinations of souls and found combat fun, revolutionary ha no; evolutionary . . . em no, stable . . . yep and kids thats honistly somthing I havent seen in awhile while some of the newer "revolutionary" combat systems where very neet and quite fun for 15min the lack of what I call stability (it just works) turns me off an MMORPG to me should first be an RPG and as such I dont really care how simplistic the interface for combat is nor how complex it is so long as it works relighably what I am after is spending time building up my fictional me, creating his story and so on as long as some since of imersion is maintaned Im all good . . . the combat should honistly not requer me to break out a calculator or set up complex macros my vetted alter me should know how to execute the moves he is capable of so that being a singe press of a button when X conditions are met is perfectly fine with me.

And finaly for note I am aware and fully respect that many want somthing diffrent/new/revolutionary/evolutionary/bleeding edge/etc and I hope you find it; there is plenty of room in life for more than 1 flavor of a given subject that includes MMOs

The reason i paid for previous 'same olds' was becuase they claimed to be something new and differant. I've now learned not to believe the constant BS that gets thrown around before the game comes out. I wont be falling for that with rift.

Cyphers you just continue to call everybody 'burned out' and 'bored' and maybe you'll convince others to spend their money. You've repeated that same statement in EVERY post you've made and if thats the only excuse you can come up with as to why some people dont like the game you need to educate yourself.

Or maybe you should start paying attention to the other things I said as well, namely that I repeatedly stated that not everybody who dislikes an MMO game is burnt out, that such claim would be a foolish and weak argument to make.

And I stated repeatedly and extensively that there's nothing wrong with liking or disliking a game and posting why, that opinions and tastes differ.

But if I see people projecting unrealistic expectations and hopes on every new MMORPG, people that claim to be bored with MMO's and MMO mechanics, and then the same people bashing as good as each and every new MMORPG for being the 'same old same old' while some of these same people then crawl back to their 'same old' current MMO's that they don't enjoy that immensely anymore and while a lot of these MMO gamers completely ignore the really different MMO's that are available at the same time, then yes, I've no trouble suspecting those people of MMO burnout, and calling it like it is.

If you think you don't fit the picture, no reason for you to reflect about it, but if someone recognises several symptoms - as in finding little joy anymore in current and new MMO's and being generally bored and indifferent with them - then I recommend taking a long look in the mirror and ponder whether it isn't time to let MMO's as a genre rest for a while, while doing other more enjoyable things. Move on, don't keep stuck in a rut or be that guy/girl that can do nothing but complaining and whining about stuff, take action, break your patterns. Etc image

Originally posted by Zeroxin

I think Cyphers is just excited to have something to talk about hehe. I know 'cos I'm also quite enjoying all the controversy.

Sshhh! image

It was a slow two days image

edit: wtf...  everybody should report any 'Dagege' spam advertisement post they see, the guy has chosen a good time, most forum mods will be unavailable at this time of day, I guess.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I did not get the feeling that angry mobs of people were going to storm Trion at all. What I got was that there were people who had expectations that weren't met. I think the expectations were unfounded based on everything I read prior to playing the beta. Obviously this is a little subjective, hence the 'I think'.

One thing I'm sure of is the people who want to complain certainly made more threads and had more responses than the people without complaints...but that's pretty standard I guess.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AzzkickaAzzkicka Member Posts: 157

Originally posted by Rabenwolf

I think Cyphers is just excited to have something to talk about hehe. I know 'cos I'm also quite enjoying all the controversy.

No, he is just blindly defending a game he some how has sold his loyalties to like many an average fanboy. He says he picks apart their arguments, but he never does. His mindset is "I am right, you are wrong, rift is the best mmorpg on the planet, end of story". If you were to actually present an argument, he will ignore it and reply with some off hand comment while pretending he just picked apart whatever it is you presented him with.

Its just insane really! 

The majority of posters I have seen, especially on the rift website and their beta forums, criticizes the same things. There is a general census of disappointment in everything else except the rifts and class system, but he just refuses to accept its there and that he is the minority. 

No one has to reinvent the wheel to please a large audience, but you DO have to make sure whatever "wheel" you go with is going to be high quality and better than the previous Wheels...if not then theres no point in the new wheel!

I'm not sure about Cyphers but I think you've got the I am right you are wrong attitude down pat.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

No, he is just blindly defending a game he some how has sold his loyalties to like many an average fanboy. He says he picks apart their arguments, but he never does. His mindset is "I am right, you are wrong, rift is the best mmorpg on the planet, end of story". If you were to actually present an argument, he will ignore it and reply with some off hand comment while pretending he just picked apart whatever it is you presented him with.

Its just insane really! 

The majority of posters I have seen, especially on the rift website and their beta forums, criticizes the same things. There is a general census of disappointment in everything else except the rifts and class system, but he just refuses to accept its there and that he is the minority. 

No one has to reinvent the wheel to please a large audience, but you DO have to make sure whatever "wheel" you go with is going to be high quality and better than the previous Wheels...if not then theres no point in the new wheel!

I have been active on Rift forums for long and i would say you are overreacting as usual.  Yes there is critcism and there should be but you always try to paint a very gloomy picture which is not true. If anything forums are mostly positive and excited for beta 3 event. From where i see, you are in minority and minority is always more vocal.

All players who are looking forward to RIFT want it to improve but atleast they are honest in their intentions. You not so much. So far this wheel is very high quality for a CB in comparison to AOC, WAR etc.

I doubt it if you havent seen all the negative feedback on the same issues. Generally people want to like the game, but are dissapointed about a consistent set of elements found in Rift. I have been with the forums since June. You? Did you see the beta forums? The feedback about the problems seen in rift were astounding in the beta forums? This is why I doubt your claim.

Are you trying to assume my intentions? Feel free to look through my post history and you will find  a lot of pro Rift posts prior to beta, and after the beta I have consistently and truthfully explained the problems as I saw it. No game is perfect, but just because I am not going into denial like some here about the problems, I get branded a hater? thats illogical. 

We are not the minority. This is a fact! Again if the beta forums were open you would see this. I have not denied the areas where Rift does good, but dont expect me to stay silent when fanboys attack those honest enough to talk about the shortcomings of Rift. 

The closed beta, as stated by Abigale, was part promotional. It was a marketing strategy, thus the VIP key events and beta hype. Just because a game is in closed beta doesnt mean it gets special treatment. Why? Because if you know anything about how development works, you would know that once you hit the beta milestone, what you see is set in stone. Everything else is just tweaks and bug fixes. The reason you think its solid is because the features are fairly barebone and copy n pasted except for their "hooks", which are the Rift and Class systems. Add the fact they are using a dated  engine with lots of technical support attached to it and of course its not going to have a lot of problems. Problems only happen when you try to do something radically new or switch to an engine that the developers will have problems with. 

Its almost impossible to have a civil conversation and a well reasoned dialog with fanboys. 

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

Its just insane really! 

I have been active on Rift forums for long and i would say you are overreacting as usual.  Yes there is critcism and there should be but you always try to paint a very gloomy picture which is not true. If anything forums are mostly positive and excited for beta 3 event. From where i see, you are in minority and minority is always more vocal.

All players who are looking forward to RIFT want it to improve but atleast they are honest in their intentions. You not so much. So far this wheel is very high quality for a CB in comparison to AOC, WAR etc.

I doubt it if you havent seen all the negative feedback on the same issues. Generally people want to like the game, but are dissapointed about a consistent set of elements found in Rift. I have been with the forums since June. You? Did you see the beta forums? The feedback about the problems seen in rift were astounding in the beta forums? This is why I doubt your claim.

Are you trying to assume my intentions? Feel free to look through my post history and you will find  a lot of pro Rift posts prior to beta, and after the beta I have consistently and truthfully explained the problems as I saw it. No game is perfect, but just because I am not going into denial like some here about the problems, I get branded a hater? thats illogical. 

We are not the minority. This is a fact! Again if the beta forums were open you would see this. I have not denied the areas where Rift does good, but dont expect me to stay silent when fanboys attack those honest enough to talk about the shortcomings of Rift. 

The closed beta, as stated by Abigale, was part promotional. It was a marketing strategy, thus the VIP key events and beta hype. Just because a game is in closed beta doesnt mean it gets special treatment. Why? Because if you know anything about how development works, you would know that once you hit the beta milestone, what you see is set in stone. Everything else is just tweaks and bug fixes. The reason you think its solid is because the features are fairly barebone and copy n pasted except for their "hooks", which are the Rift and Class systems. Add the fact they are using a dated  engine with lots of technical support attached to it and of course its not going to have a lot of problems. Problems only happen when you try to do something radically new or switch to an engine that the developers will have problems with. 

Its almost impossible to have a civil conversation and a well reasoned dialog with fanboys. 

Beta forums are open again so i welcome everyone to see it for themselves and they will realise how much you like to exaggerate everything. And yes i am questioning your intentions because you try to put  a negative spin on everything. And you not being in minority as a FACT..lol please. it is not a fact it is just an opinion.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible