Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Working As Intended

Comments

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

I went into the Rift beta with no pre-conceptions. I hadn't followed it or read up about it i just lucked out on getting a key and logged in. I haven't played a proper mmo for over a year yet from the word go i felt a familiar sense of been here done that.

In the first beta the rifts were just a zerg fest / whack a mole and i wasn't impressed at all. They got beefed up in beta 2 and i quite enjoyed them. The invasion was interesting but the core of the game just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

I am just so over this click text box run to highlighted area on my map questing system. Also a combat system i spent looking at a GCD instead of the action of screen isn't appealing to me.

Rift isn't a bad game and a couple of years ago i would have raved about it but it just feels like more of the same and when i play i feel like i'm just going through the motions.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Originally posted by Paradoxy

Originally posted by elocke

Enjoy your shallow game for a few months until real EPIC feeling games arrive in the guise of SWTOR and GW2.  Until then, I'm quite happy in WoW, Lotro and Darkfall because they do EVERYTHING better than Rift.

Next gen my ass.

I have to laugh at this post. even though its childish whatever you have written i would like to assure you of one thing. SWTOR and GW2 will burn on these forums in the same way. Quote this post, print it and stick it on your wall. There will be so much moaning and crying when these two titles will come out that there won't be enough buckets in the world to hold the tears. I will come and poke you then when you will be defending these titles like a white knight and fighting the trolls with tooth and nail.

GW2 and SWTOR are not innovative in any way. They are like Rift, doing couple of things different but not breaking any barriers or trying to bring any revolution to MMO genre. For all those calling Rift linear, i would love to see there reaction when they will play SWTOR. its going to be priceless.

So you ve played both, cool tell me more.

• erickdeforeserickdefores Member Posts: 161

Originally posted by erickdefores

Enjoy your shallow game for a few months until real EPIC feeling games arrive in the guise of SWTOR and GW2.  Until then, I'm quite happy in WoW, Lotro and Darkfall because they do EVERYTHING better than Rift.

Next gen my ass.

I have to laugh at this post. even though its childish whatever you have written i would like to assure you of one thing. SWTOR and GW2 will burn on these forums in the same way. Quote this post, print it and stick it on your wall. There will be so much moaning and crying when these two titles will come out that there won't be enough buckets in the world to hold the tears. I will come and poke you then when you will be defending these titles like a white knight and fighting the trolls with tooth and nail.

GW2 and SWTOR are not innovative in any way. They are like Rift, doing couple of things different but not breaking any barriers or trying to bring any revolution to MMO genre. For all those calling Rift linear, i would love to see there reaction when they will play SWTOR. its going to be priceless.

You may indeed be right in your pridiction Paradoxy.  But!  I have to wonder if One of the MMORPG.com staff will write a lengthy response in defeance of those games as well? 

Ofcourse they will. What people are misunderstanding here is that the writer is not just defending RIft, its just an overall statement regarding the community and their expectations. These same expectations will bring same amount of hate towards SWTOR and GW2. I can't help but chuckle when someone says 'go play your shallow X MMO, i am waiting for a real MMO like SWTOR and GW2'. They are just setting themselves up for more hurt.

I don't need to stick anything on my wall. Its quite obvious what is going to happen in 2011. ;) i am very excited about GW2 and SWTOR and i have no expectations just like i had none from RIFT. That is why i am capable of enjoying all of these games.

We seem to be in similar spots.  Although I am not looking forward to GW 2 as much as SWTOR.  I think my burnout is more over fantasy.  I want to play a character driven Sci Fi game so bad I dont give a rats rump if it is repainted WOW.  But then Again... I have been a STAW WARS kid since I saw it back in 1977

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

Originally posted by Leucent

Next gen my ass.

i can ask the same question to those who call SWTOR and GW2 epic, innovative, revolutionay, next gen....

I am just looking for one word FUN, nothing more.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

I disagree with Bill.... in that, If you are NOT going to reinvent the wheel AND market the game as having AAA Premium content and as being Next Gen....

then you better as well do a good job. Meaning, dont reinvent the wheel but make sure you are making one hell of a quality one. That they did not do. In many cases its a step backwards, not forwards.

World of Warcraft didnt have to reinevent the wheel, but their capital cities were actually cities...in Rift they didnt meet that standard but went back to the time when a city might as well have been 3 buildings and a mailbox. 

Dont drop below the standard, but at least meet it! 

Rifts and PVP may very well be fun, and carry the game...but if not, people wont stick around past the dreaded 3 month period. It will also tarnish the mmorpg they are also developing aside from Rift, which may be part of the reason they did not put as much "quality" into their non hook features such as crafting and questing.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

Next gen my ass.

Reading can be hard i know. He is not talking about the games itself but players overblown expectations. Why does he or anyone else needs to play a MMO first for that? its quite obvious his expectations are not that high so he won't be raging on forums once they are released.

Bite Me

Originally posted by Nikkita

Next gen my ass.

Reading can be hard i know. He is not talking about the games itself but players overblown expectations. Why does he or anyone else needs to play a MMO first for that? its quite obvious his expectations are not that high so he won't be raging on forums once they are released.

So saying they re not innovative at all, and not playing them is ok. Come on, maybe you should read first before you comment. Then again I know reading can be hard for some.

Next gen my ass.

So saying they re not innovative at all, and not playing them is ok. Come on, maybe you should read first before you comment. Then again I know reading can be hard for some.

Bite Me

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Then one may ask: Does Rift meet those expectations for you?

granted Rift is only in beta/stress test and has not shown you everything, but.....was it fun for you.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Next gen my ass.

That hard to understand, hmm, I rest my case.

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

Originally posted by stayontarget

granted Rift is only in beta/stress test and has not shown you everything, but.....was it fun for you.

Yes it was ;) i am going to have equal amounts of fun with Tera, GW2 and Swtor. I don't even know how i am going to juggle all these 4 mmos.lol. Makes my head hurt when i think about it.

Stop trolling bro or learn to read what  i was trying to say.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

Ofcourse it is hard when a person makes ZERO sense. :(

Bite Me

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

Originally posted by Mykell

I went into the Rift beta with no pre-conceptions. I hadn't followed it or read up about it i just lucked out on getting a key and logged in. I haven't played a proper mmo for over a year yet from the word go i felt a familiar sense of been here done that.

In the first beta the rifts were just a zerg fest / whack a mole and i wasn't impressed at all. They got beefed up in beta 2 and i quite enjoyed them. The invasion was interesting but the core of the game just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

I am just so over this click text box run to highlighted area on my map questing system. Also a combat system i spent looking at a GCD instead of the action of screen isn't appealing to me.

Rift isn't a bad game and a couple of years ago i would have raved about it but it just feels like more of the same and when i play i feel like i'm just going through the motions.

Why were you attempting to get into a beta for a game you had heard absolutely nothing about? Your spot could have been taken up by someone who had followed the game a bit and concidered the fact that the gameplay was based around already familiar concepts. Someone that might have actually looked at the other aspects of the game instead of scratching thier head and wondering why the gameplay was so familliar. I really just think there are alot of people out there that either went into this beta testing with no clue about the game (which is sad) or some pre-conceived notions of how the game was supposed to change the face of gaming as we know it. 

Lucky for me there are several who did follow the game closely and kind of understood what they were getting into. Most of them loved the graphics, enjoyed the rift raid events, enjoyed the dungeons, really liked the soul systems.....from what I hear, each of the betas the Trion team is modifying the game per player input to make it better and fine tune it. This is all great news to me.

Maybe they should have given the beta keys out based on a Q and A turn in flyer or something instead of random. It's not like beta testing is supposed to be like winning the lotto. You should be so interested in the product from learning what you can that you are willing to donate your time and energies into bug reporting and giving feedback as to how to improve the game. Instead we have random people who never heard of the game playing whack-a-mole with the refresh key trying to win the lotto so they can download a game they know nothing about and then slam on it night and day for it not being something they want in a game.

Do your research. Find out what the game is about. If it isn't your type then click the game list and go thru all of them till you find one that fits your style. Don't just sign up for something you know nothing about and then slam on a perfectly good game.

Yes it was ;) i am going to have equal amounts of fun with Tera, GW2 and Swtor. I don't even know how i am going to juggle all these 4 mmos.lol. Makes my head hurt when i think about it.

That's all that matters.  Trust me you are not alone,  people will play this game and have fun doing it.  It just won't have the huge sub numbers wow has but is that really a bad thing.....

....nope

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Lol

Lol

Such deep words of wisdom.

Bite Me

Lol

Oh boy it s an internet tough guy.

Originally posted by Karble

Originally posted by Mykell

Why were you attempting to get into a beta for a game you had heard absolutely nothing about? Your spot could have been taken up by someone who had followed the game a bit and concidered the fact that the gameplay was based around already familiar concepts. Someone that might have actually looked at the other aspects of the game instead of scratching thier head and wondering why the gameplay was so familliar. I really just think there are alot of people out there that either went into this beta testing with no clue about the game (which is sad) or some pre-conceived notions of how the game was supposed to change the face of gaming as we know it. 

Lucky for me there are several who did follow the game closely and kind of understood what they were getting into. Most of them loved the graphics, enjoyed the rift raid events, enjoyed the dungeons, really liked the soul systems.....from what I hear, each of the betas the Trion team is modifying the game per player input to make it better and fine tune it. This is all great news to me.

Maybe they should have given the beta keys out based on a Q and A turn in flyer or something instead of random. It's not like beta testing is supposed to be like winning the lotto. You should be so interested in the product from learning what you can that you are willing to donate your time and energies into bug reporting and giving feedback as to how to improve the game. Instead we have random people who never heard of the game playing whack-a-mole with the refresh key trying to win the lotto so they can download a game they know nothing about and then slam on it night and day for it not being something they want in a game.

Do your research. Find out what the game is about. If it isn't your type then click the game list and go thru all of them till you find one that fits your style. Don't just sign up for something you know nothing about and then slam on a perfectly good game.

Are you serious bro......that is what beta's are for.  To test out the game before you buy it. 

If they wanted to have only fanboys testing the game then they would not have given keys to other gaming sites  =_=

• SolestranSolestran Member Posts: 342

Having done two of the beta events, my only real concerns about the game are the railway like progression path, very little to explore as areas are quite small and completely quest driven.  I love questing, but I also love exploring and finding quests out in the wilderness, treasure and points of interest, but there is very little of that in Rift.  The whole experience felt very constricting, staring with only one small starting zone and just moving from one small quest / staging area to the next hub. 

I also don't like how yet another game gives healers all kinds of interesting abilities, but when it comes to grouping and mana pools, all they get to do is stand in back, stare at health bars and spam heals spells as they lack the mana to do much else and heals overall are weak comapred to mob damage output, so you have to spam the damn things over and over.

They have all kinds of tanking specs, but as usual, it all boils down to constantly using taunting skills and ignoring the rest as it will cause the party to suffer.  Some tank buids have very few if any taunts, making them subpar to real tank builds.

Even in beta, there were constant messages asking for healers to join their group.  Why does every darn MMO have to focus on healing anyway?  How about less healing and more action for everyone, with greater survivablilty and the risk comes from taking on more than you can chew safely?  I'm sick to death of MMO developers making healers boring and one dimensional, usually due to mana restraints and holding the gaming population hostage to content that demands lots of healing.

Lol

posting bug "Leucent" ?

I got the same thing in my post above yours. had to delete your comment on the bottom.

Lol

You want me to post that 'WHAT' picture again? God knows what you read really. I am a girl by the way and i haven't said one thing which could be considered as tough. i think my sarcasm is bit too much for you to handle.

Bite Me

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

Rift is a fully-featured classical same old same old...

LOL we seen and played these sort of games for years ffs.

Stop trying to make WoW 2.0!

Lol

You want me to post that 'WHAT' picture again? God knows what you read really. I am a girl by the way and i haven't said one thing which could be considered as tough. i think my sarcasm is bit too much for you to handle.

Ok, you re right.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

That's all that matters.  Trust me you are not alone,  people will play this game and have fun doing it.  It just won't have the huge sub numbers wow has but is that really a bad thing.....

....nope

Yes because this is the kind of game people will play for 2 months and move on.

People are complaining because they were expecting a good quality MMO that they could play for years not for a couple of months like all the crap released recently.

Like Warhammer people will say this game is fun,fun,fun.

After a couple of months people will ask "where all the people who said the game was fun gone?"

Answer: to the next "fun" game

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Benthon

Originally posted by travamars

Originally posted by cyphers

Originally posted by Aglaranna

Originally posted by travamars

...And the comment being made every time someone doesn't like a new mmo "your just burned out" is getting to be very weak. People may not be "burned out of playing mmo's, but they may be "burned out" from paying money to buy the 'same old same old'.

^This. Thank you.

Then don't pay money to buy the 'same old same old', everyone's allowed to stick with their 'same old same old' MMORPG they've been playing for years and paid their tribute subs for.

Or, an even more daring idea, if they want something else than the 'same old same old', here's a thought, they could finally muster up the guts to try and play actually different MMORPG's that are out there instead of the 'same old' ones, Vanguard, Fallen Earth, Perpetuum Online, Darkfall, Ryzom, EVE Online, Mortal Online, just to name a few.

You know, 'put your money where your mouth is', so to say.

I know, that's hard, it's far easier to just keep on complaining while keeping yourself stuck in a rut and not making any changes in your MMO gaming. You only have to look at the neverending complaining on these forums image

(besides the actually well founded and more balanced criticisms that also can be found on these sites ofc, almost buried under the incessant and unrealistic whining)

Wow you really think you know all about what everyone thinks and does. Yes everyones allowed to stick with their old mmo's, thanks for allowing that. If only it hadn't taken so many other new game titles to realize they were the 'same old' life could have been easier. Now we have cryptic descriptions of how games are to decipher.

What makes you think people haven't 'mustered up the guts' and played those games you mentioned? Are they supposed to love those game because their the only ones left?

I guess the 'well founded and balanced criticisms' you mention are the ones the agree with you. Since everyone with a different opinion is 'burned out' or 'has no guts' or 'stuck in a rut'. Dont assume you know all about a person just because they dont become instant fanboys of the newest game on the market.

You said, "burned out for paying for the 'same old same old'"... so stop paying money for the 'same old same old' and start paying money for something else?

I think that was his basis.

Ah, I didn't see this post until now. Yep, just as Benthon said image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."