Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everyone should give this mmo a try

EmoqqboyEmoqqboy Member UncommonPosts: 194

I was searching for an mmo for a while, and i'm glad i came across Allods. It delivered better than expected, for an F2P design mmo. I truely feel its the best F2p in the market currently. The support staff and GMs have been very active, and response time is incredibly impressive. All in all, this mmo has very very good potential. Everything from game mechanics to graphics to interface to content have been pretty well polished and are constantly being improved. If you are searching for an mmo, give this one a try for sure. Two thumbs up!

<QQ moar plz. kkthxbai.>

Comments

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Level up a bit and meet the item mall, then you ll change your mind.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

It WAS a very good game, before they introduced their cash shop. You'll see soon enough..

• bluedragonnnbluedragonnn Member Posts: 118

Did they ever get rid of the grind? or the horribly unscaled abilities for low levels?

Originally posted by Turdinator:
    Wow. So many great points made in that post. You are a fine addition to the Athiest movement my good man. Keep up the good work and post as often as you like. It sounds like you have important/intelligent things to say.
  • VPgearchinVPgearchin Member Posts: 168

the item mall ruined the great game that it could be. Imo adding ridiculous death mechanincs and making you have to either spend money, or buy from players who spend money  on the said item is ridiculous. They added dailies for it but you only get one scroll from it. Great game without the cashshop, horrible with it. just my 2coppers,

• RomeuFCRRomeuFCR Member Posts: 58

Have to aggree. I did the OBT on this game and then never played again because I was subbed to another game. Recently I decided to give it a try and it was fun for the lower levels... but it has 3 key points that broke the deal for me

- No auto-attack ... trivial I know, but annoying nonetheless.

- No customizable chat ... this one boggles my mind, how could they not think this one through, every MMO, even the worst ones have an option to create your own tabs in the chat window. This for me is a gamebreaker as keeping my chat well organized is essential.

- Item shop! This was the final blow, on the lower levels it wasn't noticeable but now I don't stand a chance if I'm not willing to pay real money for items, or grind a lot to buy them for insane prices in the auction house. If it was just cosmetic items I wouldn't mind, but there is insane gear available there. And for example to get incense which is necessary to get the Patron Blessing is only obtainable through the item shop. Oh and almost forgot, some quests can only be accomplished with items bought in the item shop... and it goes on and on.

Imho this one had potential to be better than  RoM... but they screwed it up.

Playing:

RIFT, EU Blightweald Server

Waiting to see:

ToR, TERA, GW2

• ConsideratioConsideratio Member Posts: 3

This game has really come a long way since the hated gipat patch which introduced incense and holy charms. They have made it more f2p recently. You should go check it out.

• RomeuFCRRomeuFCR Member Posts: 58

Originally posted by Consideratio

This game has really come a long way since the hated gipat patch which introduced incense and holy charms. They have made it more f2p recently. You should go check it out.

Just logged in, still have to buy incense in the item shop, still have to buy phylacteries of passage in the item shop. There's still no auto-attack, no way to filter the chat wndow or create tabs in it.

I like the game, I think it's good...  But these issues are a big problem for me personally... especially the chat window, in this day and age something as basic as allowing a chat window to be customizable not being present in a modern mmo is just mind boggling.

I still recomend that ppl check this game out, it's a great "free" alternative. But imho RoM is still the best because it's the one less driven by the item shop.

Playing:

RIFT, EU Blightweald Server

Waiting to see:

ToR, TERA, GW2

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221

Originally posted by RomeuFCR

Have to aggree. I did the OBT on this game and then never played again because I was subbed to another game. Recently I decided to give it a try and it was fun for the lower levels... but it has 3 key points that broke the deal for me

- No customizable chat ... this one boggles my mind, how could they not think this one through, every MMO, even the worst ones have an option to create your own tabs in the chat window. This for me is a gamebreaker as keeping my chat well organized is essential.

- Item shop! This was the final blow, on the lower levels it wasn't noticeable but now I don't stand a chance if I'm not willing to pay real money for items, or grind a lot to buy them for insane prices in the auction house. If it was just cosmetic items I wouldn't mind, but there is insane gear available there. And for example to get incense which is necessary to get the Patron Blessing is only obtainable through the item shop. Oh and almost forgot, some quests can only be accomplished with items bought in the item shop... and it goes on and on.

I "understand" the complaints about the item shop, but, do you think a company should give you their game 100% free?  It's a company, like any other, trying to make money, pay their employees, etc.  I don't understand why people think they should get something for free!

• prototypoprototypo Member UncommonPosts: 179

Originally posted by HappyFunBall

I "understand" the complaints about the item shop, but, do you think a company should give you their game 100% free?  It's a company, like any other, trying to make money, pay their employees, etc.  I don't understand why people think they should get something for free!

I dont think it was a matter of people wanting free all the time but rather an itme shop filled with vanity items, pets, and elixir's like they said (I have followed this one since the beginning) Instead so much money was dumped into the game and the investors wanting there return fast caused the publishers (Producers who left) to install mechanics like fear of death and an item shop that was necessary to advance (One can advance without spending money but it will be a long and arduous road) The point is well this came from over seas and opened up shop like americans wipe there you know whats with $100 bills (Well that was the feeling i got in there forums, so much rage) Yeah it feels less intrusive but you still need to rely on the Cs heavily if you want to enjoy the game, and dont get me started on the astral repairs for your ship.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

Still have to buy incense then no thanks.  Problem with this game was never the item shop but what you have to buy to play or compete and that is the crux of the matter.

Chamber of Chains
  • YarunaYaruna Member Posts: 342

Originally posted by cheyane

Still have to buy incense then no thanks.  Problem with this game was never the item shop but what you have to buy to play or compete and that is the crux of the matter.

You can do a daily quest for incense, you don't need to buy it in CS nor AH. Competing however is virtually impossible, many of the top guns have been grinding surveys to get Gpots which is impossible now. If you'd want to compete with the people from the days when cheating was easy you would not be forking over hundreds of dollars to do that, but a lot, lot, whole lot more.

Waiting for Guild Wars 2, and maybe SWTOR until that time...

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by HappyFunBall

Item shops, the good ones, find things you actually want, and thus they are truly free to play games. This game forces you to buy items if you want to be competitive or to even play at higher levels for any length of time.

No, a game won't work if it doesn't make money, but it should be obvious from the success of DDO & LotR in the west what kinds of item shops will succeed and do very well, and what kinds of item shops are just an attempt to have a pay to play game without a subscription.

Allods could have had a subscription model and done very well. Instead they went pay to play, but not subscribe.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by Emoqqboy

I was searching for an mmo for a while, and i'm glad i came across Allods. It delivered better than expected, for an F2P design mmo. I truely feel its the best F2p in the market currently. The support staff and GMs have been very active, and response time is incredibly impressive. All in all, this mmo has very very good potential. Everything from game mechanics to graphics to interface to content have been pretty well polished and are constantly being improved. If you are searching for an mmo, give this one a try for sure. Two thumbs up!

Not really a complaint about the game but if you have already had to deal with the support staff I'm forced to wonder how "good" the game actually is.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• PingmeisterPingmeister Member Posts: 51
    I bought bags and items in the Allods cash shop when it opened, happy to support a game that I love with a few bucks every week. I was enough of a zealot on various gaming sites that the producer emailed me to thank me.

Then they added Incense and Charms and I quit.

I had no problem supporting a cash shop game with items that i want. That is the way most F2Ps work. But I'm not playing a game where I NEED items to play, even at a low level.

I reinstalled yesterday because of the new changes but was disappointed to find out that Incense is still a cash shop item. Just Holy Charms are free. If you want to play you have to stop hunting every day, travel to the capital city to get your free incense and then go back to hunting.

Sorry, no other F2P does that to it's players Uninstalled again.
  • steelfinsteelfin Member UncommonPosts: 121

hmm i'm wondering when f2p games will actually not be cs dependent.

and the change to live didn't exactly change much besides free charms and new level cap did it?

• TerryMillerTerryMiller Member Posts: 4

Played this game for a while , its a good WOW alternative everyone should try this game that is the way most F2Ps work. But I'm not playing a game where I NEED items to play, even at a low level.

• BlaadBlaad Member Posts: 64

Originally posted by Emoqqboy

Most people start out feeling the same way you do now.  Allods is a good game.  It's better than most of the P2P games that have been released over the past several years in my opinion.  Unfortunately, the item shop just ruins the experience.

• B1mbleB1mble Member CommonPosts: 148

The cash shop in the US version maybe.  The EU version of the game does not seem to be that bad.  Players were taking the mick out of someone who had spent 110 euros because it was such a large amount. 

Allods is a good, if not great game but it all seems to depend on which version you are playing.  It always seems that it is being judged by the USA version, which by all accounts is the worse as far as spending to survive is concerned.

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767

Is the dps still gimped unless you buy shit for cash?

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

I can understand some decisions to get some cash, but only if we're talking about less or tops the money you'd usually spend in a subscription based game. So if I've to pay more then some $15/month to fully enjoy the F2P-MMO, being competitive and all, then the game is simply not worth playing it at all.

A MMO should either be totally free with a optional cash-shop (i.e. not required to buy anything there) or it should be subscription-based to begin with.

A game with a forced cash-shop like Allods or RoM etc will never get me interested, and to this point I've only played MMOs where there's a monthly subscription and no mandatory cash-shop-items as this is the only way to make a game an level playingfield for all players.

• obocoboc Member UncommonPosts: 189

I'm really thinking of giving this game a go. I've read all the comments so far about this game being kinda CS dependent. 

I for the most part don't have a problem spending 20-50 bucks a month on a game, if fits me .

My big question here is how is the community, GM's support and in game events? 

Are there frequent updates ? Do the GM's talk to the community much, and keep us up to date? 

Thanks to anyone who replys. 

-Oboc

• steelfinsteelfin Member UncommonPosts: 121

Originally posted by oboc

I'm really thinking of giving this game a go. I've read all the comments so far about this game being kinda CS dependent. 

I for the most part don't have a problem spending 20-50 bucks a month on a game, if fits me .

Are there frequent updates ? Do the GM's talk to the community much, and keep us up to date? 

-Oboc

Even though it is your choice, I don't understand why you would even pay money for f2ps since they're called free to play for a reason.  You choose f2ps because you're expecting lower quality in exchange for the freeness.  yet suddenly, you're paying even more money than a p2p for a game with lower quality. just to compete with everyone.  a competition of who has the larger wallet.

• i00x00ii00x00i Member Posts: 243

Originally posted by Cawickeng

Originally posted by oboc

-Oboc

Even though it is your choice, I don't understand why you would even pay money for f2ps since they're called free to play for a reason.  You choose f2ps because you're expecting lower quality in exchange for the freeness.  yet suddenly, you're paying even more money than a p2p for a game with lower quality. just to compete with everyone.  a competition of who has the larger wallet.

Not to sound cliche but I think saying "nothing in life comes free" here works. From my experience people don't choose F2P's expecting lower quality for freeness, they choose them because it's easier to download and start playing a game that you don't have to commit to. If you don't like the game, you can stop playing because you aren't financialy commited for a month. If you do like the game, as with everything in life, expect to pay for some things. 

But I digress...

The major problem with this game is it's publisher. Gpotato has a terrible reputation and for good reason. This game had alot of potential, unfortunately it lost half of it's community with the first CS update. Upon death a random equiped item would get cursed and become obsolete until you bought a cash shop only item to get rid of the curse (nice call on that one gpotato). Fortunately, they removed this "feature" but only after half the playerbase rage quit. 

Yes the game itself is wonderful. A little grindy and boring at times but still very polished. The problem is other "features" that force the player to purchase CS items in order to enjoy themselves at all. 

Most people go through life pretending to be a boss. I go through life pretending I'm not.

• bansanbansan Member Posts: 367

If you just want to mess around, it is probably good.  However, F2Ps like this are not good long term.  You never know when they'll pull some huge change that makes the game unplayable, switch back when they lose customers, then do it again, etc.  They'll jerk you around to find the optimum revenue, and it won't be fun I wouldn't think.

• B1mbleB1mble Member CommonPosts: 148

I prefer F2P over P2P because,

• If I dont play for a month because I have a life in the real world, I won't have given a company cash for free.

• I play to relax not live, therefore being able to walk away from a game that I will have probably not put any cash into at all suits me.

• I would rather use the monthly subscription fee to buy beer for when I play a F2P so that I can get drunk enough to make some of them look good.

Allods EU tho is the first game I have played in a long time that has actually held my interest.  The community is great and the upcoming update looks interesting in a positive way.  On the whole, for me, it looks nice, plays nice and has not forced me to splurge in the cash shop.  If in the future it does then I shall take pleasure in walking away and moving on to the next fad without spending lots.