Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Unavoidable

124»

Comments

• GikkuGikku Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by DevilXaphan

[Mod Edit]

Not everyone has their rose colored glasses on and not all like what has happened, it does not mean the game is good, it's just not for everyone despite the populartity.

This is true. I was a devoted WoW player for five years. The last big patch where they changed the specs was I suppose the final for me. I had begun to loose interest even before that  tbh though.

I do have to wonder though about the grand numbers we are being fed. How many accounts are being counted  that are owned by the same person? I am sure that many came back to check out the expansion. They usually do. But the truth is not all stay. If the number of active accounts drop and drop drastically will we hear about that? Somehow I don't think so.

There are three of us in my house that played WoW and two of us had three accounts each. Only two each were active. Now none are. So yea they have made some money off of us in the past and at one time it was worth it. It became not worth it. We left even before the expansion. We saw what was coming and did not want a repeat of another game that went downhill after one of its expansions.

Yes it is still popular for some anyway. I wish those all the fun they can find. But for others it is a falling game and I for one await to see if they announce the true numbers.

Gikku

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by Shinami

thank god im not an addict. In the time one plays an mmorpg, I can get a PHD in mathematics.

Are you getting a Ph.D. In Mathematics?

Because that is a very telling comparison. The time that most of us spend in games can be used to be doing almost anything else.  Something that some of my friends have mentioned is that every time one watches T.V. or plays a video game one can be doing almost anything else that is more constructive.

I don't like to look at it like that because "I" very well could be getting a Ph.D. in mathematics but "ugh" what a horrible way for me to spend my time. And truth be told, I could never get a Ph.D. in mathematics because math to me is just too "dry as dust".

However, I could be doing more writing. My thought is that it has to be a balance and if playing an mmo takes up a lot of time then greater effort needs to be put in the other things that should round out our lives.

Or at least structure our lives so that playign games doesn't crowd out other important things.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

[Mod Edit]

I can't say this was a bad rant but i do think what the OP saw and played was not to his standard anymore. He at least gave the game a try, even thought he didn't really want to. As most post, he gave his opinion on what he thought and just because he had a bit disappointment with it, does not mean we get to take the guys head off.

Not everyone has their rose colored glasses on and not all like what has happened, it does not mean the game is NOT good, it's just not for everyone despite the populartity.

Fixed for you. Otherwise, you were just contradicting yourself.

A public company can not lie or give false numbers to their share holders unless they want to get in a serious mess. Think a little before you make posts like these. There is no conspiracy here trust me, WOW does have that many subscribers. And next year again they will give you real numbers just like they did this year and before that and before that and so on. But i guess some people are just stubborn and refuse to expect the facts.

Originally posted by Gikku

This is true. I was a devoted WoW player for five years. The last big patch where they changed the specs was I suppose the final for me. I had begun to loose interest even before that  tbh though.

I do have to wonder though about the grand numbers we are being fed. How many accounts are being counted  that are owned by the same person? I am sure that many came back to check out the expansion. They usually do. But the truth is not all stay. If the number of active accounts drop and drop drastically will we hear about that? Somehow I don't think so.

There are three of us in my house that played WoW and two of us had three accounts each. Only two each were active. Now none are. So yea they have made some money off of us in the past and at one time it was worth it. It became not worth it. We left even before the expansion. We saw what was coming and did not want a repeat of another game that went downhill after one of its expansions.

Yes it is still popular for some anyway. I wish those all the fun they can find. But for others it is a falling game and I for one await to see if they announce the true numbers.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

• aticus14aticus14 Member Posts: 1

I can fully garuntee that Blizzard is shiting their pants right now. Why? Not because of all this vicious torment, but merely because they're rofl'ing so hard it causes severe bowel movements. Blizzard, and a handful of players, realize some other things besides, "That rat is dead now, Cataclysm was supposed to be a new game, /smash with friends". Right. Have you ever stopped to compare the difference in graphics, textures and music in Cataclysm? My guess is no.  While core debates about Cataclysm swirl around the quests, the new land, etc., people lose the concept of detail. Even the fact that Blizzard has managed to make you notice and complain or not complain about whether you like it or not, they still have you beat because guess what - you're still looking at it.

Blizzard is a company, a company that has to make ends meet, attract in consumers while trying to appease the savage criticism of it's more avid-gamers at the same time whilst dealing with their own corporate dilemmas as well, because while we get to sit here and debate about these issues for maybe, a week, Blizzard employees are making a living based off the crticism we give. Thought about it, probably not. So, while I did enjoy reading the article, I have to say, it's quite a shallow and innacurate stab at Cataclysm. It has it's flaws like anything will, but, in my theory, definitely not the ones that have been pointed out.

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

Originally posted by aticus14

I can fully garuntee that Blizzard is shiting their pants right now. Why? Not because of all this vicious torment, but merely because they're rofl'ing so hard it causes severe bowel movements. Blizzard, and a handful of players, realize some other things besides, "That rat is dead now, Cataclysm was supposed to be a new game, /smash with friends". Right. Have you ever stopped to compare the difference in graphics, textures and music in Cataclysm? My guess is no.  While core debates about Cataclysm swirl around the quests, the new land, etc., people lose the concept of detail. Even the fact that Blizzard has managed to make you notice and complain or not complain about whether you like it or not, they still have you beat because guess what - you're still looking at it.

Blizzard is a company, a company that has to make ends meet, attract in consumers while trying to appease the savage criticism of it's more avid-gamers at the same time whilst dealing with their own corporate dilemmas as well, because while we get to sit here and debate about these issues for maybe, a week, Blizzard employees are making a living based off the crticism we give. Thought about it, probably not. So, while I did enjoy reading the article, I have to say, it's quite a shallow and innacurate stab at Cataclysm. It has it's flaws like anything will, but, in my theory, definitely not the ones that have been pointed out.

thats true , they are ROFL cause they still got 2 expansions to sell , that will be bough too .

But there is a difference , that people do make impact , with Diplomats making fun of you the Elite getting away with everything.

People in general are more easier to pull the plug on irrelevant things , like gaming .

If game is not fun and work , why should i invest time into it , if game is fun but has no meaning .

Its again irrelevant , and this article shows the state of mind of current people .

Its not the flaws , dont play on sympathy for people employeed , cause really then you should play sympathy on kids failing highschools cause of wow .student rather raid then study , cause i mean wow will get you a degree and work ?

If you want to play sympathy card , you cant play it , cause current generation that meant to support the older generation.

Are failing in so many ways , and this stage its just matter of time before the next generation calls our generation .

The MARKETABLE NONSENSE GENERATION

Company have no mercy , thats simple fact , they are there to make a profit , once the profit margins are not meet.

Somebody failed , cause the product was cheaper , longer in development .,oh lets look for scape goats .

Sorry thats real life , same way our critics or complaints some other company will listen and improve on it .

2011 polished smooth MMO´s coming , thats what we as consumers want .

Not some rehersed crap that has to keep on selling cause there is no competition on the market .

Originally posted by Paradoxy

[Mod Edit]

I can't say this was a bad rant but i do think what the OP saw and played was not to his standard anymore. He at least gave the game a try, even thought he didn't really want to. As most post, he gave his opinion on what he thought and just because he had a bit disappointment with it, does not mean we get to take the guys head off.

Not everyone has their rose colored glasses on and not all like what has happened, it does not mean the game is NOT good, it's just not for everyone despite the populartity.

Fixed for you. Otherwise, you were just contradicting yourself.

A public company can not lie or give false numbers to their share holders unless they want to get in a serious mess. Think a little before you make posts like these. There is no conspiracy here trust me, WOW does have that many subscribers. And next year again they will give you real numbers just like they did this year and before that and before that and so on. But i guess some people are just stubborn and refuse to expect the facts.

Originally posted by Gikku

A public company not only can lie but it happens more than you might care to accept or believe.

As one has grandly added we are giving Blizzard what they want , ATTENTION, no matter if we play the game or not they are in center stage. Even those I know in the game are saying how they hate this expansion. How they can't do things because the trash is wiping them over and over. No they are not noobs and have been playing for years and know what they are doing.  Funny I have heard how one guild is working on hard modes now but I understand that is the guild that gets paid to play so maybe they have something others don't. /shrug

Gikku

• unbound55unbound55 Member UncommonPosts: 325

I did enjoy the article...and, overall, I think the author is correct.  The expansion changed a number of things, but fundamentally it is the same game.

That being said, I challenge the author of the article to cite one, just one, expansion to any game that has ever completely rewritten how a game is played (other than the games trying to recover from imminent failure).  I'll wait patiently for the answer to come from the author, but I'm not actually expecting it since a) the author is probably too busy to read this, and b) he knows that there never has been an expansion that fundamentally altered the game.  No company in their right mind would substantially alter a game with an expansion...it will be sold as a new, separate product.

Interestingly, the author failed to note that the mechanics of almost all the classes have been altered (happened just prior to the release of Cata, but was developed as part of Cata).  This expansion is largely the same type of expansion as BC (another interesting piece of information missing)...even more so considering that the philosophy in raiding has swung back to a more BC style (per articles posted by Ghostcrawler on tanking and healing in the past month).

The question I have is why people think expansions will be such overarching changes to a game.  Cata did change a lot...but why would anyone think that the game would be so drastically different that the experience would be completely changed?

• unbound55unbound55 Member UncommonPosts: 325

A public company not only can lie but it happens more than you might care to accept or believe.

As one has grandly added we are giving Blizzard what they want , ATTENTION, no matter if we play the game or not they are in center stage. Even those I know in the game are saying how they hate this expansion. How they can't do things because the trash is wiping them over and over. No they are not noobs and have been playing for years and know what they are doing.  Funny I have heard how one guild is working on hard modes now but I understand that is the guild that gets paid to play so maybe they have something others don't. /shrug

Yes, a public company can lie...but they don't get away with claiming over 12 million while only having a few hundred thousand as some have been implying.  The financial differences would be way too large to be overlooked.  And, btw, we really did go to the moon too (that wasn't a conspiracy either).

Yes, there are those that drastically hate the mechanics changes in Cata.  Most of them have played about 2 years.  However, there are a number of us that left because of Wrath that are now back because there is actually challenge in the game again.  If your friends are consistently wiping on trash and not learning how to deal with them...I would actually classify them as noobs.  Sorry, but they got used to the triviality of WoW known as Wrath...although the author of the article failed to note it, this is one of the changes that were made on purpose.  Tanks will have to learn how to tank again, healers will have to make tough choices again, and dps will have to learn that they can't just shoot at the first thing in range.

Originally posted by unbound55

Yes, a public company can lie...but they don't get away with claiming over 12 million while only having a few hundred thousand as some have been implying.  The financial differences would be way too large to be overlooked.  And, btw, we really did go to the moon too (that wasn't a conspiracy either).

Yes, there are those that drastically hate the mechanics changes in Cata.  Most of them have played about 2 years.  However, there are a number of us that left because of Wrath that are now back because there is actually challenge in the game again.  If your friends are consistently wiping on trash and not learning how to deal with them...I would actually classify them as noobs.  Sorry, but they got used to the triviality of WoW known as Wrath...although the author of the article failed to note it, this is one of the changes that were made on purpose.  Tanks will have to learn how to tank again, healers will have to make tough choices again, and dps will have to learn that they can't just shoot at the first thing in range.

Good point on the changes, but that is not why I left. I left because the many reason besides what they have done to the classes and other things.  My friends aren't noobs but call them that if that makes you feel better. Just like when LK came out they will have to go in and nerf because a large base of players are going to be unhappy. Challenge is good but when the challenge of something that is suppposed to be fun becomes like a job it is no longer fun. After all games are for fun.

Yes we did go to the moon and we also are destroying our world that we live in just like Blizzard is destroying the world that people play in. 

Yes companies get caught lieing all the time and it cost some dearly. But the reality is they still get away with more than you  or even I will ever know. Just shows how blind the public is too so many things.

Gikku

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Making massive changes to the game to keep folks from being bored to death is a good thing. However having to totally relearn your class is a bad thing.

Oh well.