Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A link to latest news regarding the new GFX engine

chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Try not despair too much. I find great news in this link. I am happy to see any news about this, and I really do belive that the match engine will be offered to us next year, hopefully Q1.

http://forums.anarchyonline.com/showthread.php?t=569656&page=4

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

Comments

• skulyskuly Member UncommonPosts: 140

iirc ao is directx 7

the gfx update is supposed to be dx9.

and again iirc when they first announced work on the gfx update vista wasnt out yet and i was months away from being in the vista beta. in other words when they started work on the gfx update dx10 wasn't out yet but had been announced to be out in about a year.

and now we are at dx11 and it seems by the time funcom releases the gfx update we might be at dx12 or dx12 might have been stated to be comming out soonish.

But in the end i guess the way to look at is  "ao dx7" vs "ao dx9"... "ao dx9" will probably be a major leap if the dev team doesnt half-ass it like they half-assed lost eden.

Processor: Intel Core I5-2320
    Memory: 8GB DDR3 RAM
    HDD: Samsung 830 256gb SSD-SATA3
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7950 3gb

Steam:Skuly
    Warframe:Skuly1775

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by skuly

iirc ao is directx 7

the gfx update is supposed to be dx9.

and again iirc when they first announced work on the gfx update vista wasnt out yet and i was months away from being in the vista beta. in other words when they started work on the gfx update dx10 wasn't out yet but had been announced to be out in about a year.

and now we are at dx11 and it seems by the time funcom releases the gfx update we might be at dx12 or dx12 might have been stated to be comming out soonish.

But in the end i guess the way to look at is  "ao dx7" vs "ao dx9"... "ao dx9" will probably be a major leap if the dev team doesnt half-ass it like they half-assed lost eden.

heh yep it seems like been waiting on this forever I arrived late to the MMO scene in 03 with SWG and then when the NGE hit I started looking elsewhere and AO caught my interest but by then it looked very dated and I just couldnt get into it so when I heard of this Graphics update I was pretty stoked however it seems to have been at least 3-4 years in the workings and by the time it lands my spiritual home of TOR will be upon us.

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

I suffered through AO when it started.  I stayed with it because at the time it was a very involving game.  SL to me was a cop out, they tried to be EQ v 1.5.

Anyway before you flame me know that I played and supported AO for years.  However I do not think we will ever see the graphics update.  I realize they had to change engines and that put them behind.

The impression I get from MEANS is that of a salesman who just keeps putting you off and promising the world.

So from a long time player, I am calling you out MEANS. Either put up or shutup.  Give us something more than vague info.

PLEASE prove me wrong.  Make me look like an idiot. Please.

• skullquakerskullquaker Member UncommonPosts: 311

we live  in hope

• Skeeter870Skeeter870 Member Posts: 75

Oh Shadowlands, why'd you have to go and ruin my AO?

:(

• ArnuphisArnuphis Member Posts: 103

Originally posted by Skeeter870

I'm with you. I'd take a classic AO server with any engine version right now over modern AO with an updated engine.

• quasar941quasar941 Member Posts: 159

If you think that things are bad now waiting for the new engine to be released, just wait until a few months after the release when all of the people that have been holding on to the hope that the engine is going to fix everything figure out that the improvements were all cosmetic and that nothing important has changed.

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

Originally posted by Arnuphis

I'm with you. I'd take a classic AO server with any engine version right now over modern AO with an updated engine.

I am with both of you.  Down with Shadowlands.

Originally posted by kb4blu

Originally posted by Arnuphis

I am with both of you.  Down with Shadowlands.

I hated the SL at release and I hate it every bit as much now, so I guess that makes three of us.

• Skeeter870Skeeter870 Member Posts: 75

I would buy/reinstall a vanilla AO right now, I think.

No SL crap though.

• ZoeFkenZoeFken Member UncommonPosts: 33

SL is the best AO ever done. RK was just to boring and some diversity isn't bad. What they shouldn't have done is LOX and DB to be frank starting players just can't see a end to those endless quests. It is good if you are allready in the game when they come out, but imagen your a new dude on the block. FC should optimize the effect of there expansions and booster packs to get a general simplicity for those who whant it and a extreme level for those who desire that. But curently it is just a draft, if you have some bils you can be god.

• xephonicsxephonics Member UncommonPosts: 672

SL ruined RK and AO in my opinion.  Linear map progression is something AO did not need, and it still sucks in my opinion.

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.

Shadowlands was an attempt to put an EQ-style fantasy setting into a Sci-Fi game that really didn't need it. It was just a horrible meshing of ideas and killed the game stone dead for me. It was the ToA of AO. If I had wanted fantasy I would have go back to Everquest. I wanted the Dune-style Notum harvesting faction struggle, not some whimsical journey down the rabbit hole. 

AO Classic server would probably bring a decent population back to the game as long as no-transfers to it were allowed. 

I clearly disagree with you two. From all the mmorpg's i played and from all the expansions i seen AO / SL is the best. Ofcourse i agree the linear play maybe wasn't the best option but it sertanly gave some kind of difficulty to AO that it misd in the starting days. AO was a bit boring with just RK around and SL gave some kind of new flow to it. New items, new mobs, and some great bosses. Ofcourse these bosses got to week after adding AI but anyway when it came out it was great. And don't forget it won several prices for best expansion, this isn't whithout a reason. SL could been taken as a totaly diffrent game all togheter.

Just my 2 cents

Originally posted by ZoeFken
    SL could been taken as a totaly diffrent game all togheter.
    Just my 2 cents

That's because the SL stuff was created for some other game, but FC cancelled the game and ended up reusing the artwork and other resources for AO.

• pixeldogmeatpixeldogmeat Member Posts: 441

I agree, AO was a pretty cool cyberpunk game until the expansions. Every time I resub to AO, I always play in original lands but everyone seems fixated on the expansions.

Whats even more weird is that you can play the original for free, but pay to have expansions enabled.

PLAY WURM ONLINE!! www.wurmonline.com

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

I always thought AO was imaginative and intricate - good qualities.  Unfortunately the graphics just made my eyes hurt, even when I first tried it back in around 2007.  If they give it a lick o' paint, I'll definitely play it again, graphics whore that I am.

Compare the graphics from AO with those of WoW and tell me what is so diffrent. The graphic details of ao are superb for the time it came out. Where wow failed misserably as the quality level is just minorly better than those of ao. Anyway i need to agree that a revamp is needed soon.

Compare the graphics from AO with those of WoW and tell me what is so diffrent. The graphic details of ao are superb for the time it came out. Where wow failed misserably as the quality level is just minorly better than those of ao. Anyway i need to agree that a revamp is needed soon.

WoW's graphics (especially after the Cataclysm update) are so vastly superior to AO's that I simply don't know where to start comparing the two. If you think the difference is minor then you either have a really, really bad computer or you're just making stuff up (or perhaps you're talking about the art style rather than the graphics quality?)

It's not just about the appearance either, consider the performance difference. Here's an experiment: try playing WoW and AO on a cheap laptop with an integrated Intel video card. WoW will be perfectly playable (with reduced settings) while AO will be a glorified slide-show no matter what settings you choose.

Having said that, let me state for the record that I think AO's graphics are fine. Sure they could do with an update but it's game play and content issues that are to blame for AO's low population, not it's dated graphics engine.

I clearly disagree with you two. From all the mmorpg's i played and from all the expansions i seen AO / SL is the best. Ofcourse i agree the linear play maybe wasn't the best option but it sertanly gave some kind of difficulty to AO that it misd in the starting days. AO was a bit boring with just RK around and SL gave some kind of new flow to it. New items, new mobs, and some great bosses. Ofcourse these bosses got to week after adding AI but anyway when it came out it was great. And don't forget it won several prices for best expansion, this isn't whithout a reason. SL could been taken as a totaly diffrent game all togheter.

Just my 2 cents

That's exactly the point. It was a different game that they pushed into AO and it was nothing but an EQ-style campfest. I had a 100 member strong org that pretty much lost 90% of its members after SL came out. I'm glad you liked it, but for me and many others it ruined AO. 

All I am asking for is a classic AO server for those of us that want to play the original vision of the game. Those who enjoy what AO became have two empty servers they can stay on. 

Dream on buddy

Dream on buddy

I will and in the meantime be one of the many who are not returning to AO in it's current state. 

Neither wil i. I wil not return until they make the game hard again. In the end the game was to easy when you had everything. And the quests where becomming boring aswell. Sometimes you needed to run for a long time to come to the conclusion you needed to run back to the start for another quest that than again directed you to the same place.

• SnailtrailSnailtrail Member Posts: 258

Well i thought the origional purpose of switching the content to a new engin was nothing more than to make the game run off a GPU.  Games like this were made when video cards were nothing more than some extra memory.  They predicted massive CPU's that would be able to handle all the games functions.  That CPU never came, and graphic cards too the bute weight of a games resource use.  This engin doesnt, its why it runs like crap on the best of systems.

Now with that said, along with the new engin, its suppose to be very easy to swap out some textures, make it more modern looking.

This wont effect character  models, this wont effect the combat animations, what what i was to understand.  The combat animations are what make this game feel so dated and hard to get back into.

Id kill for a new AO, just the origional content, mabey expand it as it is a bit, none of the expansion with their experemental ideas that wrecked the game in the first place.

A new AO, with  better character animations and combat mechanics.  None of the 50 million diffrent types of expansion reserch ect. Just Implants, stat locked gear, and mission.

Currently there is still no reason (unles s they changed it in the last few years) to play the non expansion content, when you can get an enfo or nano to powerlevel you with hecks.  Thats what killed the game for me....oh ok ill just afk while you heck grind...zzz

How is it as a free game?  Is there a lot of interaction with expansion players and their ungodly gear?  Or is it a game i can play free and get that old AO feeling?