Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Most Improved

Comments

• WaltandrianWaltandrian Member UncommonPosts: 23

I went with Age of Conan, as having played the game partially at release and just recently I think its made some huge improvements. WoW will probably take this cake though, with the release of Cataclysm and all, but really its not as much of an improvement in a way as it is a change, for better or for worse remains to be seen.

You only have one life. Are you living it the way you should?

• RadioMaryjaRadioMaryja Member UncommonPosts: 123

none of the above? -.-

• ircaddictsircaddicts Member UncommonPosts: 218

Wheres the none of the above option. The resson that wow appears in virtually every award is that if it does'nt the site loses all blizzard adverstiseing.

Top 3 MMO's PRE-CU SWG GW1 GW2

Worst 2 wow and Lotro Under standing stones it went woke 

• DevilHawkDevilHawk Member Posts: 179

I would be interested in coming back to AoC. But I'm hesitant due to my past experiences with the GMs' behavior there. If it was a PvE strickly game, it wouldnt matter... however as a pvp'r, when GM helps boost their guildies in dungeons, it just doesn't sit well with me.

Its been over a year since I've played, so anyone have good feedback on the community and GM relations there nowadays?

• bestiacorpusbestiacorpus Member Posts: 114

After thinking over all the other mmos listed and not listed here, I'm sticking with WoW.  There's a reason the game has record breaking (growing) registered subscribers.  There's a reason the server i play on has almost 2 hours queue wait since Cataclysm went live.  There's a reason there's a hardcore crowd still fighting for the worldwide #1spot.  There's a reason happy noobs love WoW.  The WoW baseless-hate bandwagon can hate all they want.  :P

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

There's no reason to for WoW to be this last. They gave us a massive amount of content with Cata, but there was nothing that was really 'improved.'

I had to decide between Aion and CoH. In the end, I voted for CoH because although Balurea was nice, it was more tweaking that massive improvements. CoH added a ton of new stuff with theirs, and made a great number of noticable improvements to the game.

Originally posted by Radoo

<mod edit>

I'm not sure about the other nominees like EvE and AoC, but Aion and CoH both had a number of very noticeble improvements. New game systems, new content, and new features.

<3

• mechermecher Member Posts: 71

I would have to say AoC for sure.

Even though I haven't played it since about 2 months after it came out, from everything I read it's finally the game it was suppose to be when it first came out.

Would of picked EvE if Incursion had come out as one update, not that I'm complaining about it being releasted in parts to test it more.

• ThyrisThyris Member Posts: 11

None of the above, excepting EVE, all of these other games are pedestrian, still.

The best improvements I've seen personally have been in 9dragons (dumped Acclaim like a bad habit), EQ2, EQ1 and LoTRO.

"Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a
    dissolute imagination of the like which has never been seen,
    atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell
    and kill me again or take me as I am,
    for I shall not change. Never."
    (De Sade)

• IzureIzure Member Posts: 518

Originally posted by Drakynn

Originally posted by Rebn77

WTF?

Wheres Darkfall?

I'm not a fan of the game but would agree that it at least deserves a nomination as Aventurine has put a lto of effor tinto improving the game this year.

I am playing Darkfall, only game I am subbed to.

But it is not very HIGHLY interesting, because it is Very hardcore, full loot, Grind, sandbox, everything player driven.

Like Eve, but then you got the FPS twitch, and the 100's of spells to keep up with, can get overwhelming and drive people away, unless they want a real real challenge.

Which is why DFO have people come back, and have so many dedicated followers, because at the moment, there is nothing out there for us.

Come on Devs, give us a Hardcore game, full loot, FPS combat, Conquest!

• nihcenihce Member Posts: 539

This is really easy. The title most improved game should go to AoC this year, year after this year and so on until they stop the servers. 

Voting WoW is just laughable. How do you improve a golden title that practicaly has no room for improvements anymore? (sure, it might not be everyones cup of cake but still ...) You cannot improve a game that has no room for improvements. Some might say Cataclysm is a shallow content without fresh ideas but ... in my opinion it cannot be much better. WoW simply has reached it's completion (more or less) ...

On hte other hand every aspect of AoC could still be improved. Therefore the decision for anyone but a wombie is clear (I must admit I am pleasantly surprised by the amount of realistic people that voted AoC) - AoC is the most improved game of the year. Period. (yes even considering Bori fiasco) 

(oh and for the record - I don't like WoW and although I think most of the goals set for this game are a mistake ... these goals are practically all achieved. )

• DaitenguDaitengu Member Posts: 442

I personally had to abstain because I don't think it would be fair to any of the games to just vote based on favorites or bias opinion when I haven't played all of them recently to compare post to pre conditions.  Even if I have played all of them at one time or another.

• Destiny2010Destiny2010 Member UncommonPosts: 327

I voted for AoC, cause of the improvemenet they strive with again and again. Not going fast always, but its getting there, awaiting the 2.1 cycle now :)

Bring on new Dreamworld engine version!

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Voted WoW but would have chosen Darkfall if it was there.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

AoC - best game out there now.

• Bonez005Bonez005 Member UncommonPosts: 38

WoW takes it home easily with Cataclysm... those who say it hasn't improved, and its the same ol game just revamp, are clearly misinformed. Do some ground work and you just might be able to wrap your head around how much of an improvement this really is.

The "new" Azeroth has been nothing short of impressive and tons of fun so far. Every zone has its own unique story which you are completely engulfed playing your role as the plot unfolds. While many standard mmo quests still exist (like kill so many X) there are also many new quest types which could only be described has mini games complete with cinematics, voice and siege weapons which breaks the tedium and is just downright fun.

The "revamped" dungeons (beginning at lvl 15) are heavily scripted, forcing players to employ tactics over the old "run in and aggro the room then aoe" routine.

Every class (and talent tree) got a complete overhaul- in several cases this includes the resource they use for abilities and how it operates. As someone mentioned above, you really need to learn your class now to succeed (No more spamming the same heal or aoe)

Guild improvements such as shared crafting recipes, guild levels/achievements which unlock both passive and active abilities for every member to enjoy and benefit from... which has undoubtedly brought many guilds closer as they work together toward these objectives.

The race/class restrictions, while not lifted entirely, have definately added more robust flavor.

Crafting/crafting resources have improved to remove certain gaps in progression.

I havent even scratched the surface here and honestly I don't feel the need to. Cataclysm is the most impressive improvement I've seen in an mmo to date, so yeah, it gets my well deserved vote wether you hate it or not.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Why isnt LotrO on the list? Only MMO this year to bring in millions of new players because ofit's improvements.

Funny that alot of people are saying AoC, seems like the myth of that games improvements are still alive here but still its doing as bas as ever.

DDO had 6 updates this year including guild housing, 2 new races and lots of new content and features.

Very strange list.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

you listed just candies nd additions

Originally posted by Papadam

Why isnt LotrO on the list? Only MMO this year to bring in millions of new players because ofit's improvements.

Funny that alot of people are saying AoC, seems like the myth of that games improvements are still alive here but still its doing as bas as ever.

DDO had 6 updates this year including guild housing, 2 new races and lots of new content and features.

Very strange list.

lotr did very little this year to improve in terms of gameplay. sure, they made a f2p model but this is not a game improvement

• AoC Should win this, but it won't  because of WoW.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Originally posted by Bonez005

WoW takes it home easily with Cataclysm... those who say it hasn't improved, and its the same ol game just revamp, are clearly misinformed. Do some ground work and you just might be able to wrap your head around how much of an improvement this really is.

The "new" Azeroth has been nothing short of impressive and tons of fun so far. Every zone has its own unique story which you are completely engulfed playing your role as the plot unfolds. While many standard mmo quests still exist (like kill so many X) there are also many new quest types which could only be described has mini games complete with cinematics, voice and siege weapons which breaks the tedium and is just downright fun.

The "revamped" dungeons (beginning at lvl 15) are heavily scripted, forcing players to employ tactics over the old "run in and aggro the room then aoe" routine.

Every class (and talent tree) got a complete overhaul- in several cases this includes the resource they use for abilities and how it operates. As someone mentioned above, you really need to learn your class now to succeed (No more spamming the same heal or aoe)

Guild improvements such as shared crafting recipes, guild levels/achievements which unlock both passive and active abilities for every member to enjoy and benefit from... which has undoubtedly brought many guilds closer as they work together toward these objectives.

The race/class restrictions, while not lifted entirely, have definately added more robust flavor.

Crafting/crafting resources have improved to remove certain gaps in progression.

I havent even scratched the surface here and honestly I don't feel the need to. Cataclysm is the most impressive improvement I've seen in an mmo to date, so yeah, it gets my well deserved vote wether you hate it or not.

WoW's new expansion made some improvements, but not on the scale of the others (as far as I know).

Aion - New level cap and new areas list most expansion, but the Most Improved nod comes from the fact that over the past year and some they've basically removed all of the things that people complained about with the game. The grind, the drop rates, the ganking, the soul healing cost, the lack of space at the broker, travel costs, travel times, all of this has been addressed and them some. They didn't simply streamline - they systematically fixed the vast majority of the game's major issues.

City of X: Keeps doing what they do best. Ultra mode is finally usuable for most people, which gives the game a much needed facelift. A moral alignment system, streamlined mission modes, more dynamic content, and entirely new side of the faction, more new and migrated powersets, new zone events, and a plethora of content that will keep you busy for years.

Age of Conan: I don't actually play the game myself, but you can tell just by the mood here on the forums that Funcom has done a fantastic jump of turning a mess into a success.

Eve: I'm not familiar enough with the game to know the specifcs, but even though I'm not a fan of the game, I have a large amount of respect for CCP's work on the game and the way they constantly push the envelope.

I'm not trying to belittle WoW's changes, but I honestly think it's simply too early to tell whether or not the sweeping changes they've made are an improvement or not.  And some of the items you listed are things that were broken by Blizzard that are just now being fixed.  At the end of the day, the expansion has only been out for three days. And no, the beta-testing phase doesn't count. :)

<3

• MandaloreMandalore Member UncommonPosts: 131

Where is WAR? :(

-------------------------------------
     Playing: Overwatch, Genshin Impact, Black Desert Mobile, Hundred Soul, Cyberpunk 2077
     Inactive: WAR, DAoC, RIFT, GW1/2, TSW, Age of Wulin, Black Desert, Blade & Soul, Skyforge

• G2GTechG2GTech Member Posts: 25

I was going to say Eve, but TBH Tyrrannis was a pretty bad expansion.  I hear they're fixing it now, but the expansion itself was pretty bad.

I went with CoX because, even though I don't play the game anymore, the moral system is really a breath of fresh air to the game.  Since you can play any archetype for villains or heroes (effectively), they've balanced out the PvP.

"The civilized man is rude, as he knows there are laws that protect him from recompense; The savage is not, for his actions can meet a bloody end."
    - Robert E. Howard

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

Age of Conan or CoX I do love City have always thought it is a great game and makes one think out of the box but I went with Age of Conan because in terms of improvement that would take it.

Chamber of Chains
  • maxebornmaxeborn Member Posts: 148

cool you have to vote for the crappy games he chosefor us

• alltoreupalltoreup Member Posts: 11

i find it interesting how limited our options are. where's warhammer online on this list?

these polls are flawed in that you're funneling our votes into a handful of choices. other titles have made signifigant changes in 2010 and aren't being represented on this list.

make it a write-ballot, or at least give us the option. give the smaller titles a chance!

...that being said I'm still voting WoW. Haters gon' hate, whatever. Cataclysm has improved the game across the board. Impressive for a game as polished as it already was.