Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wars of Angels: I am disappoint, son.

DatarinDatarin Member CommonPosts: 164

What more to say? Apart from asking: Am I really playing the same game as everyone else, is this really... what an MMO that's ready for final release in 5 days is meant to be?

My gripes may not be everyone else's, but I've only just recently logged in after downloading the client. I hoped that there would be something to alleviate me from my recent disappointment in another Open Beta test, but... well, let's just start on my issues against this game:

1. Graphics/Animations: I hope they're kidding when they present pixellated characters that have issues in molding one part of the body to the next without serious jarring effects. It's a major eye-sore for me, what with me wearing glasses already (and thick ones at that).

2. The camera. Oh, the camera. Please explain to me WHY we have to deal with NES-style (in fact, it's worse, because it's 3D) jerky movements when moving up and down the landscape. That also give me an eyesore.

3. Lack of players. I just created my first character over an hour ago and instantly fell into the normal trap of "no players anywhere in sight". The beginner map, or town, is pretty large. I felt like I had just been thrown into a craptastic old PS2 game (in the metaphorical sense).

4. Full-screen setup. Huh, I thought EVERYONE learnt their positions when they started to push for window-limited installations. I know Perfect World International is a regular offender of this, but at least don't let it SPREAD. My 1900x1200 widescreen desktop cannot handle low quality graphics, period.

5. LAG. NO it is NOT my ISP, as I've downloaded the client off at a rate of 1mb/s, but I've had to deal with massive lag when operating against the UI of the game. This is a CONSTANT issue that I've had to fight against the entire duration before the client crashed.

6. Bugs. I know this is common in OBT, but... uh, thanks for crashing on me when I tried to return to the "select character" screen. I've sent the error report, but just needed to vent here also.

I would want to play more, but it's close to midnight and my first impressions of this game has dropped to a negative rating. And to top it off, this game is being "officially released" in 5 days.

Don't start on the "it's OBT, ffs, you look for too much". 5 days. That's not a lot of time to change the core concepts or improve the game substantially.

*breathes and steps back* Your turn, everyone, to tell me how wrong I am.

Forums: The best real-time interactive MMORPG you'll ever be in.

Comments

• jihashijihashi Member Posts: 136

Well, not going to tell you your wrong. If anything, I'm in complete agreement. I was one of the first to sign on when they launched into OBT. Though it was easy enough to work out the lag issues just by changing your settings. It was still a pain in the neck. The bugs and crashes were horrendous. I got curious and wanted to see how long this game was actually in CBT. My jaw hit the floor when I saw that it only spent a month in CBT, and not a day more before they rushed it right into OBT. If anything, I don't believe this company even has a real plan as far as fixes. Here's why:

-lack of communication between the developers and the beta testers

-lack of future patch notes so we know what will and will not be fixed right away

-lack of players (like me, there were many of us that felt that we can't keep going with a dev team that doesn't want to keep us informed with zero fixes in the works)

-only two major updates, one to start the 20/20 weekend, and one more to end it. Which, needless to say, they removed the Thanksgiving pheasant.

-lack of level appropriate quests from 20+

-poor gathering (takes way to long to gather even a single item for your chosen craft)

-to many failures when crafting, success rate to low, ingredient requirements way to high

-no decent way for your guild to level (hope you can make tons of gold, that's the only way)

-poor quest reward system

-not enough crafting recipes to make it worth it

-fishing interface is clunky at best

-flight speed is way to slow, as is the mounted speed (someone running on the ground can easilly keep up with you)

-player owned stalls... hated them, never liked them. why? because all they do is clutter up choke points making it difficult it not impossible to move and get to the NPC's you need to speak with

-ho hum PVP. Yes, there is PVP in the game. But it's so horribly unbalanced, who would want to take the time to do it?

-no way for the tanks to pull mobs, in short. They just have to run in and pray that the healer can keep up.

-poor group loot handling (It's either deal with open looting where only a few get to loot, or next to no loot at all with the group option set)

-word wrapping flaws

-inability to block gold spammers spamming the global channels (yes, there were gold spammers even during the beta tests)

Believe me when I say that there's more. But my fingers are starting to hurt with the list I just put down. We all know full well this game is going to be far from ready by their proposed release date. While there is a pole that was going around (http://www.warofangels.net/:Forum/viewThread/1515?page=1) The few optimists that remain believe the game will be a rageing success, and not the dismal failure we all know will result from a rushed release. Let's face it, these guys are hopeing for a big payout. Not going to happen. Anyway, that's my expansion on this thread.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

I naturally want every good game to succeed and while the game isn't the worst possible out there, it isn't really all that good either.  I never saw any of the crashes that others are talking about, but i have heard people say they are there.

Sadly we are going to get quite a few of these types that make the game for money purposes and not for entertainment, heres hoping 2011 shows these people how to make a real game and not a dismal failure right out of the box.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• DatarinDatarin Member CommonPosts: 164

Originally posted by whilan

Sadly we are going to get quite a few of these types that make the game for money purposes and not for entertainment, heres hoping 2011 shows these people how to make a real game and not a dismal failure right out of the box.

Two OBT trials in 3 weeks, both have disappointed (but WoA made me almost angry while IO just had me going "well, I really shouldn't have raised my hopes"). But WoA in particular -- I mean, I've never even heard of the company before chancing across the game on another MMO site, and despite a good website, the game, I might venture to describe as "unplayable".

That's my first impressions.

I just... urgh. Thank you, jihashi, in explaining the situation. It makes much more sense now.

Forums: The best real-time interactive MMORPG you'll ever be in.

• jihashijihashi Member Posts: 136

No problem. Having been there myself, and having my hopes shattered within a matter of days was enough for me to shake my head and just watch. The game is a rushed product. As we all know, rushed products don't last long.