Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warcraft has lost its appeal to me.

Hopped on my brothers account to check it out and it seems like it is the same old, same old routine with a new title.  

Comments

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by imanorc

Hopped on my brothers account to check it out and it seems like it is the same old, same old routine with a new title.  

Why are people so surprised? They told you what you were going to get and you act like there was some kind of conspiracy to get you to buy the game. They changed 1-60 content, added 2 classes, and a few other gimmicks. The game never said it would play different or there it was now harder to level! Face it you got hyped and payed your $40.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Actually .. I"m pretty sure it was a Blizzard commerical on TV, that said 'it's not the same" blah blah blah..  UMM.. so when people bought that sales pitch, it's their fault?  Interesting..

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

I'm pretty sure they were talking about looks of some areas not so much gameplay.  No company in their right mind would completely revamp the gameplay of a successful game.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by NetSage

I'm pretty sure they were talking about looks of some areas not so much gameplay.  No company in their right mind would completely revamp the gameplay of a successful game.

cough sony cough

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

Goblin zones have the best quests in any game...EVER!

I have to agree that it's still WoW but somehow I have much more fun! I'm waiting on all of the upcoming MMOs but I think right now WoW is a great time waster!image

• donkyloldonkylol Member Posts: 20

Best. Game. Ever.

• LeagolxLeagolx Member Posts: 222

The quests everyone finds cool i just think are not that interesting at least to mean its nearly 2011 and all you can offer me is me putting a crate on my head and swimming across a lake. I think that is probably an idea done many years back with an indie title that went under later. Wow has never been nor will it ever be a great questing mmo lets face it wow is all about end game the game has been around for 6 years and this is the first time imo the lowbie zones have truly been updated. Cata is a cool idea yes but i was better off just leaving it as what i thought it was in my mind than actually playing it because in reality it doesnt change as much as i think everyone here posting on the forums was hoping for. My main problem with being honest on this forum is some people refuse to flaws in this game its much like when i say one negative thing about call of duty people absolutely flip because if somethign is best selling it must be flawless right??? Wrong just because a game is best selling it does mean its the most polished game on the market and appeals to the larger crowd and i will not deny that COD and WOW are both the most popular games in their genre but I just really wish that questing would really be more interesting or they would just gift me my 5 levels. Judging by the number of people already at 85 i think they chose to gift you 85 lvls im sure the game has some interesting quests but its nearly 2011 and id like to see more from the "best". However, i will still be playing wow despite my trys to quit it all together wow does lose appeal to me much like the op I play for 5-6 months and then quit for years and that is mainly because wows moves so smooth no other game can compete or begin to compete with that and it has the highest player base. MMORPGS are all about player bases so to the OP I hope 2011 brigns what your looking for.

If your going to ban the trolls please for our sake ban the Fan Boys too.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Rydeson

Actually .. I"m pretty sure it was a Blizzard commerical on TV, that said 'it's not the same" blah blah blah..  UMM.. so when people bought that sales pitch, it's their fault?  Interesting..

Yes, a sales pitch is designed to lure in those who don't look a little more closely at something before jumping in head first.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• imanorcimanorc Member Posts: 41

Don't get me wrong, if I were new to MMO's, WoW would probably be the best thing out there.  Very simple play style (3 buttons and you're a pro raider), charming "cartoony" graphics, very smooth gameplay, huge community.   

• maxtlionmaxtlion Member Posts: 79

It is amusing though the number of posts on a wide variety of forums from players basically amounting to "I was told it would be all new and improved".

The complexity of making even fairly small scale changes (skill tree, pathing etc) in a game of this magnitude are immense - the amount of planning and work-hours that must have gone into the landscape changes, spawn point updates, random npc paths etc is staggering. To expect a game that also changes fundamental mechanics to be 'better' is unrealistic and would probably lose more subscribers than it would attract from being 'new'.

Millions of people play the game the way it is because they enjoy the experience. Hands up all those who think Blizzard are willing to take the chance that significantly changing that experience will be worth it?

Didn't think so.

• imanorcimanorc Member Posts: 41

Originally posted by maxtlion

It is amusing though the number of posts on a wide variety of forums from players basically amounting to "I was told it would be all new and improved".

The complexity of making even fairly small scale changes (skill tree, pathing etc) in a game of this magnitude are immense - the amount of planning and work-hours that must have gone into the landscape changes, spawn point updates, random npc paths etc is staggering. To expect a game that also changes fundamental mechanics to be 'better' is unrealistic and would probably lose more subscribers than it would attract from being 'new'.

Millions of people play the game the way it is because they enjoy the experience. Hands up all those who think Blizzard are willing to take the chance that significantly changing that experience will be worth it?

Didn't think so.

Din't you make this same speech at the end of Everquest?

• YauchyYauchy Member UncommonPosts: 298

Everytime you see a deathwing comercial, just picture Activision executives rubbing $100 bills all over themselves.

It lost it's appeal for alot of folks, but unfortunately most cling to as a social networking tool more than anything else.  COMON 2011, bring on the interesting stuff!

• Big_DataBig_Data Member UncommonPosts: 48

For me, the biggest problem with WoW is that it is fundamentally the same MMO it was when I started playing five years ago.

When I think about what I do for fun, I am having trouble coming up with anything else I have done consistently for that long.

For me, time to move on.  But I will say that I would recommend WoW to anyone who hasn't played an MMO.

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

I got cata and honestly i have done maybe 3 quests in the new zones the game for whatever reason be it me just being tired of it of whatever else has lost it's appeal.The goblin zone I will say is awesome.But ever since they did the patch before expansion my mind keeps going back to the same thing.Comparing it in my mind to free realms or lego universe it has just gotten to where it is a unchallenging but fun kids game where your rewarded for reallly doing nothing and you rarely ever lose a fight.I guess i am just getting old I miss alot of my older mmogs where you actually had a chance to do,had to be aware of your surroundings and it took some thought to get things done.

Again not a gripe on blizzard they are giving people want they want and there content is always nice but to me it has just gotten to the point where lego universe takes more skill to play which tells me maybe it is time to move back to more adult games.

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355

Originally posted by NetSage

Except Sony haha

Mystery Bounty

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355

The fact is whether people admit it or not WoW is no longer a hardcore MMO like it was (kind of) pre BC, all the expansions they come out with make the game easier for non-hardcore players. I think when they made the orignal game it was made with passion, by people who wanted to change the world, now all of these expansions are just those people trying to maintain that world instead of going above and beyond what they have previously done they just want to keep the people in that world happy.

Since in MMOs for every 1 hardcore player there are hundreds of casuals, for WoW that would be for every 1 hardcore player there are THOUSANDS of casuals, Blizzard has decided to cater to the larger player base instead of the handful of hardcore players. A smart business move, but bad for the hardcore players.

They wont completely change the gameplay, that would be stupid, and updating the graphics engine would result in many players quitting because of lag or not being able to run the game.

If they change to much it wont be WoW, and many many players will quit, so those expecting any expansions including this one to change the world you are mistaken, that will never happen.

Mystery Bounty

• erikk3189erikk3189 Member Posts: 306

Originally posted by donkylol

Best. Game. Ever.

Not true. Not even close. Not even remotely close.

True be told.

1.  There's nothing else out there.

2.  People already have this game installed in their computers and they don't have the time nor the inclination to go thru' the trouble of buying another game, then going thru' the downloading process only to be dissapointed as they've been in the past. At least, they already know what they have with this game even if they're not as crazy about it as some of it's more radical fans.

At least until The Old republic comes out.

3.  It's not that this game is all that. It's more that, there's nothing else.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

I am enjoying Cataclysm. I have rolled a Goblin Warlock and done the intro, a Worgen Druid and finished their intro and rolled Goblin and Worgen Death Knights just for the hell of it. 

I'm trying to avoid thinking 'theme park ride, theme park, theme park!!!!!!' but it does creep in now and again. Still, it's enjoyable and that's all that matters to me and my wallet.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by MysteryB

The fact is whether people admit it or not WoW is no longer a hardcore MMO like it was (kind of) pre BC, all the expansions they come out with make the game easier for non-hardcore players. I

Personally I think the mechanics are harder than much of what the original game offered, but after 6 years of playing experience these types of mechanics come second nature to most people.

Six years of experience will make most activities seem a lot easier than the first year when someone just started something and almost everyone has that type of experience now.  Multiple years that is. 

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

This is by far my longest WOW break ever and i still dont feel like playing it again anytime soon.  Cata has zero appeal to me cause the way i see it is, 2-3 weeks of new content (get to 85) and then years of grinding the same dungeon ad-nauseum. 

• generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

Originally posted by Daffid011

The fact is whether people admit it or not WoW is no longer a hardcore MMO like it was (kind of) pre BC, all the expansions they come out with make the game easier for non-hardcore players. I

Personally I think the mechanics are harder than much of what the original game offered, but after 6 years of playing experience these types of mechanics come second nature to most people.

Six years of experience will make most activities seem a lot easier than the first year when someone just started something and almost everyone has that type of experience now.  Multiple years that is. 

Unless the mechanics used to be designed for 6y old people i hardly doubt so. I joined the WoW community at WoTLK and found it to be very , very easy. Which is what eventually drove me away , it just lacked the challenge . And this can hardly be due to experience in my case. (or maybe i'm just that awesome?)

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.

Originally posted by Elidien

Originally posted by erikk3189

Best. Game. Ever.

True be told.

2.  People already have this game installed in their computers and they don't have the time nor the inclination to go thru' the trouble of buying another game, then going thru' the downloading process only to be dissapointed as they've been in the past. At least, they already know what they have with this game even if they're not as crazy about it as some of it's more radical fans.

yes indeed, the only reason 12 million+ play WOW is because they are bored and there are no other games out there. There in no WAR, no Aion, no AOC, no EQ2, no EQ, no DAOC, and no soon to be DCUO or tera or rift. Nope none of that exists. And no huge selling single player games - no Call of Duty  and no Sims and no CIv 5.

/sarcasm off

Actually people play WOW because they like WOW. Why is that so hard for WOW trolls and haters to undestand? YES people actually do like WOW. News at 11.

Another one who doesn't get that there are not 12 million active accounts.  According to blizzard and this is only according to them, there have been that many accounts since the start and not 12 million at any one time.

Besides, just because blizzard says it's true it doesn't mean it is.  Companies love inflating their numbers. Happens all the time and blizzard is no exception. But it's ok, continue to believe everything you're told or you read. This also happens everyday.

I have a bridge to sell cheap?  You believe this too?

Hate wow? I don't care enough to hate it. I do on occasion play it whenever I'm bored with nothing to do.

btw,

Cata still has plenty of bugs and here I thought beta would of taken care of this. Wishful thinking on my part.

Originally posted by generals3

Originally posted by Daffid011

Unless the mechanics used to be designed for 6y old people i hardly doubt so. I joined the WoW community at WoTLK and found it to be very , very easy. Which is what eventually drove me away , it just lacked the challenge . And this can hardly be due to experience in my case. (or maybe i'm just that awesome?)

You're not alone.

Now even the spells tell you when to click them. Blizzard is telling you what to do and when to do it. Like the talents where you have to stick to one tree until almost the end before being able to choose another. Where as before players had options, now there are none.  It's become a hand holding game. 

Finally, a game for pre-schoolers to master.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Originally posted by Elidien

Best. Game. Ever.

True be told.

yes indeed, the only reason 12 million+ play WOW is because they are bored and there are no other games out there. There in no WAR, no Aion, no AOC, no EQ2, no EQ, no DAOC, and no soon to be DCUO or tera or rift. Nope none of that exists. And no huge selling single player games - no Call of Duty  and no Sims and no CIv 5.

/sarcasm off

Actually people play WOW because they like WOW. Why is that so hard for WOW trolls and haters to undestand? YES people actually do like WOW. News at 11.

Another one who doesn't get that there are not 12 million active accounts.  According to blizzard and this is only according to them, there have been that many accounts since the start and not 12 million at any one time.

Besides, just because blizzard says it's true it doesn't mean it is.  Companies love inflating their numbers. Happens all the time and blizzard is no exception. But it's ok, continue to believe everything you're told or you read. This also happens everyday.

I have a bridge to sell cheap?  You believe this too?

Hate wow? I don't care enough to hate it. I do on occasion play it whenever I'm bored with nothing to do.

btw,

Cata still has plenty of bugs and here I thought beta would of taken care of this. Wishful thinking on my part.

Sorry, buddy. You can delude yourself all you want, but the numbers Blizzard post, and I am surprised this has to be repeated AGAIN, are ACTIVE subscribers that have spent money on the game in the last 30 days. 

No trials, No number of created subs (that is more near 40 millions), no nothing. it is ACTIVE subscriber. Period.

And about the lying? Activision Blizzard is a public company, you can buy shares on the Stock market of them. That means they have, BY LAW, to present a report of their financial results each quarter (period may vary depending on company and nation, but they have to report). This report is very serious thing and WILL be audited by the nation's tax experts.

If they find irregularities, it is a real big deal.

So... lying about their subscribers numbers is a really bad idea BECAUSE they HAVE to tell the truth about the financial situation, that for Blizzard is REALLY positive. So if they would be saying "oh we have gazzilions of subscribers" but then you go check their financial report and you see they lost 200 million dollars in the last quarter it would be quite fishy indeed, and that would mean IRS on their neck, leading to investigations, leading to business closed, leading to massive losses leading to possible bankruptcy, you do not really want to mess with the Tax office of any nation....  but  that is not the case.

Secondly, what is this? Blizzard is the Devil but oh everyone else are Angels? Only Blizzard would be lying about subscribers, but oh, NCSOFT, EA, CCP all instead tell the truth?

In what weird world do you live?

To Elidien: 

Isn't it so that if there is only ONE thing out, then it is the BEST of whatever that thing is? So, congratulations. you just defined WoW, in your own words, as the Best while trying to deny it. I did not say that, you did.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by generals3

I see you have been around since 2004, so I assume you have plenty of mmo experience.  The mechanics of wow are not very different from most games.  Having experience in one is much like having experience in most of the current games with a very small learning curve for game specifics.

Also lich king wasn't balanced very well and was really easy the first few months.