Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Favorite MMO Company

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Rifts, Terra, STOR and Secret World are not even out yet, so it is nonsense to include those titles. From that observation three of the comapnies mentioned, Bioware, Trion and Enmasse should not be on the list.

Why were software companies who don't even have a MMO launched put on this list?

• XandryaXandrya Member Posts: 59

Originally posted by Scot

Rifts, Terra, STOR and Secret World are not even out yet, so it is nonsense to include those titles. From that observation three of the comapnies mentioned, Bioware, Trion and Enmasse should not be on the list.

Why were software companies who don't even have a MMO launched put on this list?

"In order to qualify for this category, a gaming company has made exciting advancements with games, forthcoming or previously released."  <-----This right here

Although these companies have not released yet, they are in development, they have ongoing communications with their fanbase and the media.  It's the company itself that is being judged here, not the products they haven't as yet released.  Although the end product does say a lot for the company, it doesn't say everything.   The games that they have in development advance the genre in some significant way and that alone is what qualifies them.

Trion Worlds is currently in closed beta so many of their followers have gotten to see the product, although it is still in an unfinished state.  Even before beta they had open gamers day with the game press and some community members, before that they showed their game at PAX, Gamescon, etc.  So it isn't like no one knows anything about their game or the development company.  The same can be said for the other two, I'm sure.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Arenanet. One of the better gaming companies out there - not only including MMO companies.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

BioWare - Epic Story never seen before in MMO.

Also wanted to go for ANet for same reason, but can only vote for one.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

CCP.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• Master_ChillMaster_Chill Member Posts: 1

Arenanet FTW! There's no other game companie that produces such quality of art and game in my honest opinion. If I had offered the choice to start working for them, it wouldn't even be a choice ^^ Let's just hope these guys are gonna make games for a looong time to come!

• PetronomPetronom Member Posts: 2

En Masse!

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

SOE should have been an option. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• huskerman34huskerman34 Member UncommonPosts: 252

true bioware games are not mmo. Even though it wouldnt be hard to make it into one.

Edgar F Greenwood

• codefusioncodefusion Member Posts: 13

wow NCSoft not even nominated for Aion. I love that game but i think the consensus is the company sux. its proven right here when you have 12 companies nominated - which is like ALL of the big players and NCSoft not even listed.

• blueshadowblueshadow Member CommonPosts: 146

Blizzard ftw, but silly that you have to vote for parent company Activision too. Why is Blizzard the only company listed with parent company?

It is almost like giving them a disadvantage since many people love Blizzard but dislikes Activision.

I mean, if its Activision/Blizzard it should be Warner Bros/turbine, Electronic Arts/Bioware to mention a few.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

It's pretty hard to vote for something like this tbh, as there are many companies on that list for unreleased games.

And I have both good and very bad experiences with those other companies who are established already, which prevents me from voting for them.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• thebigchin11thebigchin11 Member Posts: 519

Blizzard, purely because they are most successful -its all for profit at the end of the day.  Can't really comment on unreleased stuff. 

Chins

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Originally posted by blueshadow

Blizzard ftw, but silly that you have to vote for parent company Activision too. Why is Blizzard the only company listed with parent company?

It is almost like giving them a disadvantage since many people love Blizzard but dislikes Activision.

I mean, if its Activision/Blizzard it should be Warner Bros/turbine, Electronic Arts/Bioware to mention a few.

The company is called ActivisionBlizzard and the parent company is Vivendi, Blizzard a game studio under the company ActivisionBlizzard. So it's not the same as WB/Turbine or EA/Bioware.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by Master10K

ArenaNet hands down. The only company that's seriously trying to innovate and re-invent the MMORPG genre. The rest are just doing what they do best.

If there is one MMO company that trully tries to innovate and continues to do so. Then I think it's CCP hands down.

So I voted CCP.

• thebigchin11thebigchin11 Member Posts: 519

Don't think they care if they lose a few votes, they raked the money in once on the downhill slope.

Chins

• ZaovrantarZaovrantar Member Posts: 85

LOL.

It took almost 200 post before someone realised the maker of this thread is a Blizzard hater.

It is even worse than this, because Blizzard still has a seperate financial report, clearly seperated from Activision and on the boxes you see only the Blizzard name, like it has been for the last 16 years.

While Bioware no longer has an independant financial report and the logo on their boxes are labeled  "Electronic Arts".

The same for NCSoft - Arena Net (bad Korean reputation) publishing GW2 and Warner publishing Lord of the RIng.

How far can you stretch the objectivity to "streamline" the votes ? A lot I guess.

• RelapsE28RelapsE28 Member Posts: 13

I had to choose Bioware of course.  Let's face it, they have never EVER made a BAD game. Every single one of their games has made a ton of money and they deserve to be number 1!

?RelapsE?

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Hi-Rez Studios should have been on that list, one of the best developers around in the MMO market.

• Ambrose99Ambrose99 Member Posts: 72

Its gotta go to ANet.

• ClockworkboyClockworkboy Member UncommonPosts: 12

Kingsile because they are always telling us whats going on and they have a good community

Your imagination is as big as the universe

• aaartis2aaartis2 Member CommonPosts: 2

KINGSILE the best comunity and the best updates (one good thing after a nother)

aaartis2

• JayremyJayremy Member Posts: 27

Some of these games haven't came out yet for other companies so I wont say anything until they deliver, make them earn it.

*Pointing to TERA and Rift, then secret world

I like turbine a lot for AC this game was releases when,1999? Been 11 years ago ans was going strong until about a year after release of WoW. AC was the best game in ratio to its time.

ArenaNet has good history, Turbine has good history, Blizzard has good history but a sell out (lol),  BioWare has a good history but out of the MMO realm and ;ast;y nexon is not really popular but they do good at providing F2P games, Vindictus was just a late shining star amidst some junk (maybe maple story too, back 4 years ago when new).

Details can always change it's the idea that counts.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Originally posted by Zaovrantar

LOL.

It took almost 200 post before someone realised the maker of this thread is a Blizzard hater.

It is even worse than this, because Blizzard still has a seperate financial report, clearly seperated from Activision and on the boxes you see only the Blizzard name, like it has been for the last 16 years.

While Bioware no longer has an independant financial report and the logo on their boxes are labeled  "Electronic Arts".

The same for NCSoft - Arena Net (bad Korean reputation) publishing GW2 and Warner publishing Lord of the RIng.

How far can you stretch the objectivity to "streamline" the votes ? A lot I guess.

Ummm.......the maker of this thread is mmorpg.com themselves.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Voted BW because they are my favorite company that happens to be making an MMO

With the NWN games, the DA, ME, and of course the Kotor games, they released the games i've had the most fun with ever.  I enjoyed them so much that i would play them for days on end just to see everything they had to offer.

Now they are making an MMO

with everything i'm seeing

cover system

characters that actually block attacks (lightsaber actually moves to block the blaster bolt)

the story

the idea of choices in those story.

Having every character have a voice including my own.

I can see they really want to make their first venture into the MMO genre something great.

So i went with them.

Everything else has given me a meh feeling.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.