Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphics Sux

1101112131416»

Comments

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by Takiton

its 2011, why cant we have both?

I see a lot of excuses made or false either/or logic.  

Everyone keeps saying it's all about gameplay but thats also baseless because we can only attest to the graphics at this point right?  (Let's ignore there is nothing new here other than the "new" choose your own adventure format.

More pixels and better finish in game generally will result in, in game LAG ; it's a speed of light type correlation the relationship is a difficult one to break.

• lordpenquinlordpenquin Member Posts: 129

For me the graphics aren't horrible because they are cartoony  (They did that mainly because of the reason wow did it, so it can run on the horrible PCs of the "masses" to get more subscriptions.),   they are horrible because they don't resemble the star wars universe at all.  The "style" of star wars seems to be missing from what I've seen, and for me that's an issue.  I want to feel like I'm in the star wars universe.  Maybe it will be different while playing it, but from the videos I've seen it's missing that special something that makes it "pop". 

Take DCUO for example.  Say what you will about the horrible client (bugs, horrible chat, terrible targeting), the world is perfect.  It was made by Jim Lee.  You are inside a DC comic.  You ARE a DC comic.  It has a perfect look and perfect feel for what the game is trying to present.   I don't get the same feeling from STOR.  That makes me a sad panda.

• MobfigureMobfigure Member Posts: 44

Though the Star Wars portion pleases me. That's not the only reason I want to play this game or am excited about it. The fact Bio Ware is making this game is the perk for me. I mean come on... name a game Bio Ware failed at. I can't think of one and have played them all. I think as far as when this game is released it will not be a unfinished game. But really.. how many times do people have to say this. Graphics DO NOT make the game (You can't judge a book by its cover). I honestly think SWTOR will be an amazing game as far as delivering content and involving players. All in all, Star Wars will be bought on day one for me. If it lets me down, then I'll add it to the pile of MMOs that always do.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

I know this is an old topic but i still keep expecting Marvin the Martian to pop up in one of the screeniesimage

• pluzoidpluzoid Member Posts: 152

Originally posted by jk3592

Did anyone post how horrible the graphics look b/c it does. I mean out of all the highly anticipated games coming out soon, SWTOR looks the worst. Skill animations look also pretty lame. Comparing it  to WOW's graphics, since it's so outdated now, I don't see that much of a difference. I mean other than it being Star Wars, I don't kno why so many people are so excited about this game, other than being Star Wars. Let's pretend this game wasn't Star Wars, would you be still so hyped about it. I kno hard it would be to forget the "Star Wars" part of it all but try very hard. 

Firstly, it has been stated on there website that the reason they have gone with their hybrid version of "stylised" is because they wanted to try and attract a larger player base like World of Warcraft has. World of Warcraft has the largest player base because quite frankly it could be played on even the dire PC systems ( I know I played it on a 8 year old PC). Things might be different now with Blizzards new expansion, (there have been posts on the official WoW forum of players leaving the game due to needing new hardware).

Secondly, the graphics have been improved since they were orginally designed, They might improve them further down the line (after the game is published, if they survey subscribers with the PC specs to determine how much they can improve it).

Thirdly, have you ever player Knights of the Old Republic 1?, (wont comment on 2 because it was rushed effort by Obisidan) it might be an old game, graphics are definately more horrible (thank god for mods!) but the story is still amazing, and I repurchased both games and enjoyed reliving the exerience.

This MMO is really about the story just as much as it is Starwars, if your not into Bioware's Dragons Age or Kotor, then you probably wont like this (Mass Effect is obviously very different due to using twitch and no crafting).

People complained about Kotor's graphics when the game came out !! and yet it was a huge success, they also complained about Dragon Age's graphics too yet it have over 50 game awards with all its addons combined (Ultimate Edition FTW).

Graphics arent all that, Final Fantasy 13 looks amazing, yet has such a boring combat system, a bad acted and medocre script, with some of the most annoying characters ive ever had to play with (EVER!), and has little replay-ablilty. Infact the only thing it has going for it is the graphics and music, now thats bad.

In conclusion I finish with WoW showing the world, that effortless/bugless/kinda laggyless gameplay is far more important than graphics. Since they're have been MMo's out that have better graphics yet have failed due to bad gameplay and performance issues of the large variety of the player bases PC's (From Ancient Pc's to low end PC's to Mid end Pc's to High End PC's and all those in between, with more variences than lottery numbers).

Ps: Heard of Tetris, started in 1985, biggest game of that year, no graphics yet had people addicted, like snake did at the beginning of the nokia mobile era, still being made NOW, still making profits, still bad graphics.

Gameplay and Addictivity/Replay Value win graphics everytime!

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Wow really, i'm not sure what people are looking at, but i think these look pretty good.

imageimageimageimage

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

There is another problem with trying to go with realism over stylized, you run the risk of hitting something called the uncanny valley.  Which means that the person can look human but then doesn't react human which will make people go uhhh no.  that looks creepy.

With what is suppose to be a cinematic approach to this game, your going to be seeing your characters face and upper torso a lot which means if they accidently hit that uncanny valley.  Then the whole game feels weird and thus the game is pretty much dead on arrival.

So seeing as this is Biowares first venture and such a big one at that, i think they are playing it safe with going towards the stylized version and having less of a chance of their game looking...weird.  Plus stylized is cheaper so theres thats as well.

Heres a link describing the uncanny valley effect and why it's bad to hit that part, even by accident: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKTAJBQSm10

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by Isane

Originally posted by Deewe

not sure if a type of clutching at the last straw as some say.

Certainly not, you are right. I don't get why some are saying this. For some other companies, it can be logic but BioWare?

The time and effort that Bioware have put into the detail is starting to make the vocal minority look a tad foolish.

TOR started in dec 2005 and most analysts agree on the budget is around $100 millions. Now for comparison TabulaRasa development lasted 6 years with a budget of $105 millions.

ROLL on RELEASE,

The dev costs will be easily recovered, if this is  a value for money discussion then fine but it isn't.

I care little for what they spend , but what I do know is my Bioware experiences have always been great value and professionally done. So I am struggling to accept they will fail to deliver on Graphics especially baed on what I am seeing.

First you are saying the vocal minority will look a tad foolish considering how much effort was put into TOR then you don't care how much they spend. There's something that does't work in your logic. In our economy system employees effort = $$$.

The discussion is about Graphics .... Someone else bought money into the discussion oh yes YOU did.

I am not complaining about the graphics, all i said is I have faith in Bioware and that they will deliver on the Graphics!!!

You seem to be wanting to mix me responding to off topic money comments (by yourself) and then coming back on topic (my opinion) as one in the same thing. I have to laugh I am nothing but consistent.

If you want to change the topic to has the money they have been spent in the right areas of the game well thats another discussion but as far as graphics go for me they look more than fine.

Gameplay is what is important to me , nothing else really matters.

==> Quote: "The time and effort that Bioware have put into the detail is starting to make the vocal minority look a tad foolish."

Time and effort in our beloved civilization means money, at least for most people. Especially the one working in non charitable fields like the video gaming industry.  But maybe I miss understood, what did you want to say with your time and effort mention?

Thread about Graphics..... Please keep on topic else youll get boring.

Stating the obvious doesn't get you brownie points, but generally the more time spent and invested will deliver a more professional finish and thats the way I see the graphics going in game...

It's the graphics that we are talking about ...

If you believe that time and effort doesn't deliver results , when the company is highly professional then thats your call.

Seriously you brought in the subject not I.

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

Somebody seriuosly needs to shoot this thread and put it out of it's misery.

• SoliloquySoliloquy Member CommonPosts: 128

not sure if a type of clutching at the last straw as some say.

Certainly not, you are right. I don't get why some are saying this. For some other companies, it can be logic but BioWare?

The time and effort that Bioware have put into the detail is starting to make the vocal minority look a tad foolish.

TOR started in dec 2005 and most analysts agree on the budget is around $100 millions. Now for comparison TabulaRasa development lasted 6 years with a budget of $105 millions.

ROLL on RELEASE,

The dev costs will be easily recovered, if this is  a value for money discussion then fine but it isn't.

I care little for what they spend , but what I do know is my Bioware experiences have always been great value and professionally done. So I am struggling to accept they will fail to deliver on Graphics especially baed on what I am seeing.

First you are saying the vocal minority will look a tad foolish considering how much effort was put into TOR then you don't care how much they spend. There's something that does't work in your logic. In our economy system employees effort = $$$.

The discussion is about Graphics .... Someone else bought money into the discussion oh yes YOU did.

I am not complaining about the graphics, all i said is I have faith in Bioware and that they will deliver on the Graphics!!!

You seem to be wanting to mix me responding to off topic money comments (by yourself) and then coming back on topic (my opinion) as one in the same thing. I have to laugh I am nothing but consistent.

If you want to change the topic to has the money they have been spent in the right areas of the game well thats another discussion but as far as graphics go for me they look more than fine.

Gameplay is what is important to me , nothing else really matters.

==> Quote: "The time and effort that Bioware have put into the detail is starting to make the vocal minority look a tad foolish."

Time and effort in our beloved civilization means money, at least for most people. Especially the one working in non charitable fields like the video gaming industry.  But maybe I miss understood, what did you want to say with your time and effort mention?

Thread about Graphics..... Please keep on topic else youll get boring.

Stating the obvious doesn't get you brownie points, but generally the more time spent and invested will deliver a more professional finish and thats the way I see the graphics going in game...

It's the graphics that we are talking about ...

If you believe that time and effort doesn't deliver results , when the company is highly professional then thats your call.

Seriously you brought in the subject not I.

Let's keep it on topic folks.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

I think the graphics work very well. At first I was a little dissapointed but after 2 years of screen shots I think it has evolved and looks very beautiful.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

This game isnt even out yet. im so tired of the this game sucks threads on a game that hasn't even been released and most of the people saying it havent even had a hands on.

Every review i read on this game talks about how much fun and how cool the graphics are. So please stop. All this game sucks and it will take 5 million subs to succeed is getting old.

What i think people have to realize is most of this comes from gw 2 fans hoping to denegrate every other game out there. im not playing gw 2 either way so doesnt matter. im just so tired of all the false and totally bs info these people spread.

i think screenshots of this game look totally awesome. Also its nice that ea set the record straight telling people that 500k subs will not only break even but will make them a nice profit. So please stop your misinformation cause its not gonna keep anyone who really wants to try this game from trying it.

i for one am gonna try swtor no matter what u guys say and im so tired of your retoric.

• DarkpigeonDarkpigeon Member UncommonPosts: 55

I have to agree, in the beginning I was skeptical but now the graphics are very well rendered,
    crisp and clean.
  • Revy106Revy106 Member UncommonPosts: 47

The Graphics are fine just stop whining and wait for the game to come out JK