Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Biggest News Story

13»

Comments

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Topic

APB all the way. With all the hype, its sudden demise broke records, and nearly immediately afterwards its going to be rereleased by another company. 

Thats big and rare news!

Originally posted by Castillle

I voted the Entropia Universe one.  I mean geez...Thats a LOT of money

People have spent much much more, like in the millions, for Second Life property so the Entropia story is not really all that big of a deal.

• hoodoo92hoodoo92 Member Posts: 1

Gods and Heroes?  Really?  A 5 year old MMO that has no hope of being competitive, or fun for that matter?  

Voted for APB.  That was an incredible story considering the amount of hype on that game over the past couple of years.

• signal2noisesignal2noise Member Posts: 17

This is the category that should have a 'None of the above' option. Or a 'Who really cares?' would have sufficed.

• mmorpgdoodermmorpgdooder Member Posts: 29

APB

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by Castillle

I voted the Entropia Universe one.  I mean geez...Thats a LOT of money

Sad when so many get taken in by a marketing ploy.  The chances that any money actually exchanged hands are pretty much nil.  

• NeoPlasmaXNeoPlasmaX Member Posts: 79

Not voting, none of these stories really jumped out to me.

• AshindaiAshindai Member Posts: 56

Definitely the rise of freemium.  Although I don't care much for FTP in general, including the PTPs turned FTP, this trend is the biggest MMO news in years, and definitely the biggest for 2010.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Could have sworn I voted on this already :O But yeah, Rise of Freemium is definitely a huge news story. The entire gaming industry is changing in front of people's eyes, how can that not be the biggest news story?

People need to think long term. Free games withhold content in order to generate the funds necessary to make more content and maintain servers, unless they're Buy 2 Pay, which is still too risky a model for most companies to want to try. Guild Wars 2 may change that, but it remains to be seen.

Anyway, as more and more games becomes F2P, you will see more and more things in an item mall. That is a huge change in how the development of games will be planned, and it will effect gaming for many years to come.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Skook3Skook3 Member Posts: 43

I'd have said FF14. It's not many games that have a 26 million dollar ragequit to their name.

• bdewbdew Member UncommonPosts: 192

Hmm... i voted for APB. But really this list is missing the bigest shitstorm that happened over MMOs ever, blizzard's Real ID. That story got multiple reports about it on international news channels.

And yeah the FFXIV ragequit should qualify too :)

• Ambrose99Ambrose99 Member Posts: 72

Rise of Freemium gaming is definitely it. Although the other ones are noteworthy, F2P and Freemium gaming has, more than ever, carved out its own niche in the genre featuring AAA MMO's and has changed the face and structure of all MMO's going forward. The other ones are good, but this is an industry changer.

• LegomyegolasLegomyegolas Member Posts: 3

Gods and Heroes.

• ganuskaganuska Member CommonPosts: 11

if ur looking for a FUN time!-with clear,chrisp graphics,with-out all the stuff that bogs down todays game playing then look no further than Gods and Hero's!!-i am in beta testing and commend the risk and talent from Heatwave! The NEW dev's really listen!  They are working very hard to impove a game that is fun and void of many of todays complications! PLEASE take a look at this title and help us make it better within the context of the type of game it is!-I for one look forward to supporting this company and sticking with Gods and Hero's.

• QuickmixQuickmix Member UncommonPosts: 6

I vote for Gods & Heroes. Thats the best news since 2 Years when I was in the first Beta :)

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Freemium games rise is the biggest story though.

Instead of every mmorpg released going the $15.00+++ a month route they've actually started alternatives and different business plans.

It's changed MMORPG's more then the rest of the stories and made for bigger news.

• JayremyJayremy Member Posts: 27

Most challenging list of the topics yet, I would say rise of the F2P cause it had a drastic effect and will continue to be.

It wasn't a one time news story that was big it was the combination of all the F2P games to release that surprised me.

The rest was surprising but you either were only surprised for a few mins then forgot or were a fanboy of the titles, I would call it a big news story as much as something that lingered in my mind for months like F2P models.

Details can always change it's the idea that counts.

• jihashijihashi Member Posts: 136

I wasn't about to vote for Gods and Heroes, since they don't know their own NDA, and apparently. Neither does the staff of MMORPG.com. I'm not bitter that I was banned from the game and my review removed. I just found it laughable that they did so without notice, and without making absolutely sure that I was in no violation of said rules governing their agreement. If you'll read it when you download and run the game, prior to agreeing to it. It does not state that you will not submit any reviews professional or unprofessional to public forums. By the way, those guys haven't done anything new to their stuff since well over two years ago.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

$335'000 it just too silly, need vote=D

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2