Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Most Innovative

Comments

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

Originally posted by Papadam

Originally posted by Garvon3

Originally posted by GTwander

Originally posted by Brif

What game really is the most innovative if you think it's none of the above?

You dudes are spoiled by that last vote that had the option. Anything to point out that "I'm mad, and nothing can console me", right?

Pick a game that's the most innovative in the list, then vote on it. Then quit asking for options that will just give you a smug sense of self-satisfaction.

Uhh... what's wrong with expecting a list of "Most Innovative" to actually have choices on it that innovated? Especially when there are games NOT on the list that are insanely innovative?

To answer the other question. Darkfall

What innovasion have Darkfall done this year?

Or ever?

It is sandbox so it has to be Innovative.no? ;p

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I didn't say it was "the fault of WoW", I said it was essentially responsible.

While all those features existd in the massively successful EverQuest, it didn't break out into the mainstream mainstream until WoW. Reason being, EQ didn't have the marketing power to reach out to the FPS junkies, housewives, bored 12 year olds, and spike tv watchers of the world. WoW DID have that massive marketing budget, and aimed directly at those people.

I'd compare it to the Wii reaching out to millions of non gamers, but at least the Wii did that in an insanely innovative way, motion control. Nothing WoW had was unique, but since it was the FIRST many people heard of, they associated those features with WoW alone. And so, while EQ was, at the time, the most profitable MMORPG, it wasn't so high above its competition that everyone was copying it. WoW on the other hand, grew so large that it is the only game big wigs ever see when they look to the market to see what sort of game to invest in.

Where exactly was wow marketing to the housewives and nongamers of the world that other mmos were not also marketing?  Good housekeeping?  Oprah?  Redbook?  Again I think you are confusing cause and effect. 

Anyhow, I think this topic would be better suited about evolution of mmo game mechanics instead of innovation.   Everything on the list is really more evolution than innovation. 

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Bah another reminder of how bad this year was... why do you torture us with these lists ; ; 

In any case only 2 of the games listed even remotely belong on this list. 

Pocket Legends for it's "I can be played on a phone..." thing 

and 

Vindictus .... quit making me vote for vindictus please... 

I will simply cry if Vindictus truly is the best 2010 had offer :( 

WoW - really? seriously? you thought this belonged on this list lol?

GA - again read my comment for WoW lol. 

EvE - Well... I didn't really see anything innovative in the char creation... It's the same preset options type setup every other MMO uses with more options than some, less to the same as others. The only difference really is the sculpting... but thats not innovation lol. There is a reason MMO's don't tend to go with the sculpting option. There's simply no point in it. It's simply to much for most which is why there are generally simple sliders to do the sculpting. 

I commend EvE on a nice Char creation setup, just like I commend Cryptic... but it's simply not innovative, sorry :( 

Lastly.... wtf lol, why would you even attempt to put WoW in the innovation spotlight for story telling? They saw a story centric push coming from innovative games and made an attempt to ( a half assed attempt at that lol) say "we focus on story too!". 

Dig Deep MMORPG.com and make sure there isn't some diamond in the rough out there that was missed by everyone. Some obscure MMO that may have released under the radar thats actually worthy of being on one of these lists. 

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Paradoxy

Origin

Blowing up couple of building and towns addding few quests here and there is not same as Cataclysm event. You really need to give up already. Nobody is claiming chaging a few towns is the same as changing half the zones. The games that have been mentioned over and over have overhauled their ENTIRE world, multiple times. Sometimes they're upgrades, sometimes it's part of a big storyline event. In fact, considering only half of WoW's zones have been redone, you can't even argue WoW did it "bigger and better". Like i said before if that is the case add Fallen Earth to the list too since they nuked a small town and rebuilt it.

I played the old games and that is why i know that there is no comparison here.You weren't even aware they had both dynamic and regular events to change the game world.  We are talking about one big event which completely changes landscape while you keep arguing about dynamic changes and few little permanent changes which are more in nature of upgrades and few additions.  They refuse to accept that other games ever existed or did anything before WoW. If redoing over 18 zones all at once in a massive overhaul and upgrade "doesn't count" because it wasn't marketed as "the breaking"

[Mod Edit]

• boincmanboincman Member Posts: 99

None of the above.

You dudes are spoiled by that last vote that had the option. Anything to point out that "I'm mad, and nothing can console me", right?

Pick a game that's the most innovative in the list, then vote on it. Then quit asking for options that will just give you a smug sense of self-satisfaction.

Uhh... what's wrong with expecting a list of "Most Innovative" to actually have choices on it that innovated? Especially when there are games NOT on the list that are insanely innovative?

Or ever?

Over Halloween GM controled monsters started attacking players in cities.

Then just recently a full scale story backed invasion happened to the racial capitals that involved hordes of monsters, and even some dragons.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Or ever?

Then just recently a full scale story backed invasion happened to the racial capitals that involved hordes of monsters, and even some dragons.

And how is that innovative? I think you need to go and look what that word mean.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

This list is actually a very positive one!

Each of these games has pushed a boundery in some way or other. eg

a) Vincictus really pushes actiony combat

b) Eve's customization is very impressive

c) WoW's reshaping itself probably least impressive but decent effort/intention

But voted for POCKET LEGENDS.

Amazed to play this Mobile 3d MMO on my iPhone. Crazy days! oc it's not 100% mmorpg but the continued development is pushing this with quests, story, pvp modes etc and various platforms and amazing performance for mobile gaming on the go.

It's the most innovative imo. Well done Spacetime Studios! maybe on the crest of a wave here.

Origin

Blowing up couple of building and towns addding few quests here and there is not same as Cataclysm event. You really need to give up already. Nobody is claiming chaging a few towns is the same as changing half the zones. The games that have been mentioned over and over have overhauled their ENTIRE world, multiple times. Sometimes they're upgrades, sometimes it's part of a big storyline event. In fact, considering only half of WoW's zones have been redone, you can't even argue WoW did it "bigger and better". Like i said before if that is the case add Fallen Earth to the list too since they nuked a small town and rebuilt it.

I played the old games and that is why i know that there is no comparison here. . You weren't even aware they had both dynamic and regular events to change the game world.   We are talking about one big event which completely changes landscape while you keep arguing about dynamic changes and few little permanent changes which are more in nature of upgrades and few additions.  They refuse to accept that other games ever existed or did anything before WoW. If redoing over 18 zones all at once in a massive overhaul and upgrade "doesn't count" because it wasn't marketed as "the breaking",

Confusing the size of the WOW world,  changes in half the zones still dwarf every other MMO. They could have taken a easy way out and drop a building or two here and there or burn few tress and get done with it.

And please do not try to put your own confusion between dynamic and permanent changes on me. You were very conflicting in your argument and now suddenly after all this time you had a sudden revelation that all these older games had both.

My first MMO was AO, but thank for your assumptions. Yes older games have upgraded, revamped quests, made some dynamic and permanent changes to maps but it wasn't a TOTAL revamp.

[Mod Edit]

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Let's cut out the baiting guys. Discuss the topic and respect other user's opinions.

Or ever?

And how is that innovative? I think you need to go and look what that word mean.

I didn't claim it was innovative, I said the game itself is innovative, for even being able to handle mob AI of that quality, and being able to have that many people playing together with real time FPS combat without crashing. WoW can hardly handle any people playing together, and its combat is turn based/dice rolls.

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

I voted for Vindictus.

There are indeed innovative qualities to all of those options, but a move toward physics-based MMOs is seemingly the most innovative.  It expands the potential of the genre notably, even if this game itself is somewhat limited in scope.

Global Agenda is innovative in several ways, but I don't think it's mmofps status is necessarily among them - it's been done before (even if not quite as well).  The pile of small innovations isn't quite enough to put it at the top imo.

I love how intuitive EVE made their character creator, but ultimately that just boils down to a UI change from slider bars to the same click and drag movement over the character's model.  Great, but not quite that big of a design difference.

It's also nice that WoW devs were willing to revamp most of their game world for the new expansion, but I don't see it as winning the prize because that new content had to go somewhere, they just made a wise decision to superimpose it over the old content that their own design made obsolete.  That's more patching their own holes than genre innovation imo - a truly innovative design would have overcome that obstacle in the design itself.

And mmos on mobile devices...well I can't say much about that.  It seemed like a no-brainer almost.  Certainly a step forward, but more of a step you had to take because you tripped.

Origin

I played the old games and that is why i know that there is no comparison here.  You weren't even aware they had both dynamic and regular events to change the game world.  We are talking about one big event which completely changes landscape while you keep arguing about dynamic changes and few little permanent changes which are more in nature of upgrades and few additions. They refuse to accept that other games ever existed or did anything before WoW. If redoing over 18 zones all at once in a massive overhaul and upgrade "doesn't count" because it wasn't marketed as "the breaking"

Considering the size of the WOW world,  changes in half the zones still dwarf every other MMO. First off, WoW's world is fairly small, in terms of MMORPGs. It's small and has invisible walls/mountains everywhere funneling you. It's really easy to go zone by zone that way. WoW's entire world could fit in Darkfall's world about 4 times over. What's more, WoW has about 5 times as many devs as Darkfall does, yet Aventurine also managed to revamp and redraw ALL of Agon this year. Last, as I've said time and again, Blizzard having the manpower to rewrite half their world is not innovative or pushing the barriers of gaming, it just means... they have a lot of employees. They could have taken a easy way out and drop a building or two here and there or burn few tress and get done with it.

And please do not try to put your own confusion between dynamic and permanent changes on me. I have no confusion about them, you're the one who seems unable to realize that games like AC and UO and DAoC had both dynamic and permanent changes. I was aware, you were not. But you said you played these games too, so I I guess I would assume... that you knew as well. I was wrong. 

Yes older games have upgraded, revamped quests, made some dynamic and permanent changes to maps but it wasn't a TOTAL revamp If you say so. I used to consider redoing every zone and every quest a total revamp, which some of those games did.

Its all clear to me now. This is what you call innovation. GM controlled events LOL!!

Only the boss monsters were controled by GMs, the mobs in Darkfall have AI far beyond games like WoW, which is indeed innovative.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

I didnt check Vindictus yet and dont know wtf is Poket Legends. But EVE is always 2 steps above from other MMOs in terms of innovation. With integrated DUST incoming gonna be awesome universe. Gets my vote

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Yes we totaly missed the NOTA option on this one.  Oh well, i t would be nice to know when were going to get to see the results of these polls.

Considering the size of the WOW world,  changes in half the zones still dwarf every other MMO. First off, WoW's world is fairly small, in terms of MMORPGs. It's small and has invisible walls/mountains everywhere funneling you. It's really easy to go zone by zone that way. WoW's entire world could fit in Darkfall's world about 4 times over. What's more, WoW has about 5 times as many devs as Darkfall does, yet Aventurine also managed to revamp and redraw ALL of Agon this year. Last, as I've said time and again, Blizzard having the manpower to rewrite half their world is not innovative or pushing the barriers of gaming, it just means... they have a lot of employees. They could have taken a easy way out and drop a building or two here and there or burn few tress and get done with it.

And please do not try to put your own confusion between dynamic and permanent changes on me. I have no confusion about them, you're the one who seems unable to realize that games like AC and UO and DAoC had both dynamic and permanent changes. I was aware, you were not. But you said you played these games too, so I I guess I would assume... that you knew as well. I was wrong. 

Yes older games have upgraded, revamped quests, made some dynamic and permanent changes to maps but it wasn't a TOTAL revamp If you say so. I used to consider redoing every zone and every quest a total revamp, which some of those games did.

Its all clear to me now. This is what you call innovation. GM controlled events LOL!!

Only the boss monsters were controled by GMs, the mobs in Darkfall have AI far beyond games like WoW, which is indeed innovative.

You are going waaay off topic here. This topic is about something new and innovative that happened in 2010. I am not here to discuss game mechanics or how WOW sucks compared to darkfall. Would be nice if you stay on topic.

I said this earlier, but only because WOW makes a lot of profit and has lots of employees doesn't mean that this factor should be held against it. Other MMO"s are most welcome to do the same. No one is stopping them.

You need to go back and read up, because until i mentioned that you are confusing dynamic with permanent changes you didn't even realise it. Also once again, revamping and redrawing the whole world in darkfall is not same as shattering in WOW. You are still trying to make comparisons between two very different style of introducing new content.

Also, GM controlled event is not an innovation, and i have no idea what the AI has got anything to do with it?

You are going waaay off topic here. This topic is about something new and innovative that happened in 2010. I am not here to discuss game mechanics or how WOW sucks compared to darkfall. Would be nice if you stay on topic.

Also, GM controlled event is not an innovation, and i have no idea what the AI has got anything to do with it?

I did not say anything about "WoW sucks DF rules". Darkfall had an expansion this year that did a lot of great things. Not only did the redo the ENTIRE game map (the one thats about 4-5 times bigger than WoW) but they further expanded their already impressive AI. They also made it easier to have massive scale battles, performance wise, which is also innovative, having that many people taking part in REAL TIME combat. Mobs wandering around, mobs leveling up and gaining new spells and abilities as they kill and fight players. Mobs being able to run, gather friends, flank, take cover. AI that dictates if a mob can hear you when there's a waterfall nearby, AI that lets the mob SMELL you, AI that makes it difficult for the mob to see you at night.

It's impressive, and it happened this year, and its far more innvoative than a zone rehash.

• CavadusCavadus Member UncommonPosts: 707

Would someone please inform SBford that Global Agenda is not an MMO, let alone "massive".

Has this dude ever heard of PlanetSide?  the epic first MMOFPS which allowed for almost half a thousand players per continent?  Compared to GA's lame ass 32 player instanced matches?

Geez, I can't remember the last time this website had any real credibility.

• jezvinjezvin Member UncommonPosts: 804

I had to vote WoW for this, no other game has really redone their entire world to give a different experiance.

-------------------------------------------------
    Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 33.33%

EKSA
    -------------------------------------------------

I did not say anything about "WoW sucks DF rules". Darkfall had an expansion this year that did a lot of great things. Not only did the redo the ENTIRE game map (the one thats about 4-5 times bigger than WoW) but they further expanded their already impressive AI. They also made it easier to have massive scale battles, performance wise, which is also innovative, having that many people taking part in REAL TIME combat. Mobs wandering around, mobs leveling up and gaining new spells and abilities as they kill and fight players. Mobs being able to run, gather friends, flank, take cover. AI that dictates if a mob can hear you when there's a waterfall nearby, AI that lets the mob SMELL you, AI that makes it difficult for the mob to see you at night.

It's impressive, and it happened this year, and its far more innvoative than a zone rehash.

Not that is what this is pretty much about. You are angry that DF didn't make the list. Well, tough luck. This list is about 2010 and DF didn't do anything innovative this year and no your example of a GM event doesn't count.

I think you are being desperate here so you are chucking anything you can think of in innovation basket. Improving performance, making servers more stable is not innovation buddy. Seriously? wth? your impressive AI was released with game last year so any tweaks or improvements to it  this year is part of a natural development cycle. Maybe we should add all MMOS to this list which have been making improvements to the game?

• Sallas89Sallas89 Member Posts: 22

this list is one big fail.

• tazmanyaktazmanyak Member UncommonPosts: 77

What a disapointment with this list oÔ

. EVE Online

APB character creator seems more complete to me?

Even if not, why nominee for "most innovative 2010" when nothing is new in creating an avatar??

i totally support Eve and CCP sense of innovation, but not for this one.

. Global Agenda

So, GA is an mmo?

it's an online shooter, sure.

Planetside was THE mmofps.

. Pocket Legends

no, sorry .... cant catch it.

. Vindictus

If it was a MMO, i would have voted for it.

but, this is just an online action game. No massive. but i do totally support their somewhat innovative gameplay! Just cant wait to see it released in eaurope (in 2 years maybe???)

. World of Warcraft

i'm ok with this ... revamping the world. never done before.

Blizzard just do it with each extension ... killig the good old stuff. This is crap.

10 years ago, Everquest had some special server, where you could start from scratch, and unlock extensions based on players progress. that was novative, maybe? that was EQ.

• haratuharatu Member UncommonPosts: 409

I think this list will be much more impressive next year as I see several games that are promising new concepts, this year I feel it is a bit bland. Apart from mobile MMO and cool physics, the others just seem to have improved their some concept that was already there. FPS, well I dont see that as innovative since you could already FPS in other games by zooming in on your character.

• NekrataalNekrataal Member Posts: 557

Well, that list is a crappy one at best... but here it goes.

Vindictus : Not an MMO

GA : Not an MMO

EVE : Character creator, although very sweat, isn't innovative in the least.

WoW : How a revamp is innovative? Beats me...

Without much choice, my vote goes to Pocket Legend as the 1st handheld device MMO. 

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by jezvin

I had to vote WoW for this, no other game has really redone their entire world to give a different experiance.

NGE 

Which is something every MMO player that hasn't just started playing has heard about. 

It was done to Star Wars Galaxies back in 2005. 

But I'm going to assume you were being sarcastic lol.