Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

APB: Reloaded --- Veterans, possibility we're getting our old data back!

causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Hi folks,

I know that there are a lot of APB haters, but luckely (and count me in), there are quite some APB lovers as well. I am so happy the game is being relaunched, despite the new owner.

So, since the news that APB is bought by a new company, a new studio located in the US is working on the game (and rehiring some of the old devs). Every week there is a new post on the state of the game.

The blog can be read here: http://apbreloaded.blogspot.com/

Interesting to mention is the part from week 3:

Therefore we are very likely to launch a closed beta version WITHOUT the original character data, and then wipe the databases at the end of Closed Beta after we have been able to determine the impact of the various game changes, and then look to restore some of the original character data for the Open Beta start.

Now this is all still hypothetical, since the balance changes and code changes we are performing may cause issues with the original character data and we are not yet sure the original data will actually fit with the final version of the game. However, much of it probably will, and if so we will clearly try to restore a lot of it as part of the Open Beta launch. The details of how this will be done are still TBD, but I will keep this blog updated on the progress, and will share a lot more details as we get closer to Closed Beta.

I would like to keep this thread positive, as this is something to look forward to. If you are angry with Realtime World, make a seperate thread. Oh, and before I forget, the blog is a very enjoyable read so far. Very enthusiastic. And it looks like they're taking the high road this time.

Thanks for yer time folks!

Edit: Typos.

Comments

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362

all I can say is be wary. Not being negative but alot of games have promised alot of things. A game on it's second wind is about profit first..fixes and pleasing " veteran" players last.

so say we all

• rtbbvrrtbbvr Member UncommonPosts: 163

Mixed feelings here. I like how people who payed to play are able to get what they payed for back, but on the other hand its really not fair to those who are starting free to go against people who've already been playing the game at launch. I guess these kinds of issues always happens when relaunching a project though. My vote is they should keep character levels and ranks, but restart them on weapons and money. Failing that then just give them the whole thing. dont make them start all over again.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Originally posted by cylon8

all I can say is be wary. Not being negative but alot of games have promised alot of things. A game on it's second wind is about profit first..fixes and pleasing " veteran" players last.

Yeah, thats not a negative thing to say. Nope....

I look forward to APB's return. It'll be a fun thing to have available for gaming here and there.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Originally posted by rtbbvr

Mixed feelings here. I like how people who payed to play are able to get what they payed for back, but on the other hand its really not fair to those who are starting free to go against people who've already been playing the game at launch. I guess these kinds of issues always happens when relaunching a project though. My vote is they should keep character levels and ranks, but restart them on weapons and money. Failing that then just give them the whole thing. dont make them start all over again.

I find that a very appropriate solution. As I have a rank 300 cop, I'd like to see him back, don't really give a **** about my weapons anyway. But, they are talking about introducing premium accounts as well, so maybe instead of weapons they give me a free month? Would be great.

True.. but to be honest, I just want the game back.

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

How it comes back will be watched closely, I hope it comes back without the problems that it came with. The hacks/macs/cracks will bury this game if not delt with. Nevertheless, an exciting moment for many fans and one that I will watch for.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Any news on whether the EU and NA clients will remain the same, or if they will implement IP blocks?

I was bought an EU copy by a bud in the UK (as well as another American that played with us) and I'd like to get back to it without issue.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Originally posted by GTwander

Any news on whether the EU and NA clients will remain the same, or if they will implement IP blocks?

I was bought an EU copy by a bud in the UK (as well as another American that played with us) and I'd like to get back to it without issue.

No, no news on it yet (not that I know of anyway). However, If you're interested, i'd follow that blog as they share quite some info.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

its really not fair to those who are starting free to go against people who've already been playing the game at launch. I guess these kinds of issues always happens when relaunching a project though.

It's completely unfair that people who have played a game since it's launch have advantage over players who have just joined. But it happens even without relaunches.

How often would you like to have all your characters in all MMOs wiped to fix the issue?

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Yeah, thats not a negative thing to say. Nope....

It may be negative, but it's true. When code is changed, things become incompatible fast. They may be able to salvage the character data, but don't be too surprised if they can't after the major changes they're doing to not only patch the game but to transition it to free to play.

• rtbbvrrtbbvr Member UncommonPosts: 163

Originally posted by Vrika

its really not fair to those who are starting free to go against people who've already been playing the game at launch. I guess these kinds of issues always happens when relaunching a project though.

It's completely unfair that people who have played a game since it's launch have advantage over players who have just joined. But it happens even without relaunches.

How often would you like to have all your characters in all MMOs wiped to fix the issue?

Oh no I didn't mean the players themselves or the skill factor. I meant in terms or items. I'm wondering if a lot of the items that people got before now have to be paid in order to gain again. Or harder, or even gone entirely. Its not fair to start chess of with peices missing from one side, the newer players side especially. That's why I suggested they just keep the rank and levels, which are after all just a measurement of progress, and remove the possible item advantage.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

If they had a pure skill server this really wouldn't be an issue.  Something to think about.

Count me in as one of the APB lovers. I had an incredible amount of fun in the games very short run.  After the last patch, I was pretty happy with the balance and gameplay.  The only bummer was the hackers.   Get that under control or scale it back and you have a great game from which to build upon.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Oh goody your one of those people... 

Ok... some things to note... 

Maybe - is not a promise that it will be done

We will try - is not a promise that it will be done

Saying we will try to restore data but it might not work - is not a promise that it will be done

All I can say about this poster is be wary. Not being negative but a lot of gamers have assumed promises when none were given. 

• Pepper.415Pepper.415 Member UncommonPosts: 13

I would love to have my character back, I don't even care about the weapons, just give me back my characters, clothes, symbols, tats all my customization stuff. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Veterans? The game released this summer....

But lets hope you get your characters back. :)

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Im not interested in having my same characters back,but thats just me.  I'm all for a clean-start for everyone, a new level playing field of sorts with all previous data whiped.

I'm looking forward to a clean-slate.  Not saying that slate wont be defecated on by some, but hopefully far far less than did on the previous rendition of the game. 

• DarthMajinDarthMajin Member Posts: 92

It would be nice for customers that originally bought the game to get something back/out of the relaunch. I do think the character data retrieval isn't the right step. This is technically a new game with new features, and a new company releasing it. I believe they should start everyone over and possibly give anyone with a valid APB serial from their box something special (like maybe 3 free months of premium)

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

I'd love to get my character back TBH.

• MichielMichiel Member UncommonPosts: 235

Please just let this game die. I played roughly 2 weeks and even in those 2 weeks I could barely bring myself to log in. A bad matchmaking system and repetitive 'chores' they call missions made this game a fail from day 1. I would not want to play this game again even if I got paid for it (unless it's a lot of money of course).

The game fails as a MMORPG and as an FPS, calling itself a Hybrid, but it fails at that aswell. We're better off letting it die and, as a smart poster already mentioned, teach devs a lesson about releasing a product before it's ready.

EDIT: I realised that the above might have nothing to do with 'releasing too soon', but was just a bad idea from the beginning.

Originally posted by Michiel

Please just let this game die. I played roughly 2 weeks and even in those 2 weeks I could barely bring myself to log in. A bad matchmaking system and repetitive 'chores' they call missions made this game a fail from day 1. I would not want to play this game again even if I got paid for it (unless it's a lot of money of course).

The game fails as a MMORPG and as an FPS, calling itself a Hybrid, but it fails at that aswell. We're better off letting it die and, as a smart poster already mentioned, teach devs a lesson about releasing a product before it's ready.

EDIT: I realised that the above might have nothing to do with 'releasing too soon', but was just a bad idea from the beginning.

Thank you for giving such awful input on my thread.

EDIT: It's not even input, i'm sorry. I know there are people that want this game dead and burried, but dude, this thread is for people who did enjoy the game and are glad it's coming back. I bet you didn't even read what the thread was about in the first place.

• MichielMichiel Member UncommonPosts: 235

You're welcome. And just to clarify: I'm not trolling, I'm also a 'Veteran' (ahum) that got ripped off. I saw 50 euro go down the drain. So this game has earned my eternal hate. And I would not want my character back. Thus concluding my input in this Thread.

• DingoBoiDingoBoi Member Posts: 87

I saw $50 US and a six-month subscription go down the drain. 

So, I win... erm... lose.

But on the plus side, I'm hoping to launch a young adult ebook line based upon apb with video in the 'choose your own adventure' type story for the new NOOKcolor with adverts tied in to direct readers of this 'app/e-book' to go on to 'live their adventure by playing the game.

Oh, yeah, SanParoATLAS.info will be coming back soon.  I would have updated it earlier, but I work for amazon and you know how this month has been.

I'm your Xmas F-ing ELF!

• KeithDragoonKeithDragoon Member Posts: 21

To hell with my character I just want my car that I spent hours working on, don't even need the upgrades just the decals. Oh and my themes and symbols.

• stugurtstugurt Member Posts: 45

All points bulletin was my all time favorite game. I cannot wait until they release the new one..

• chakan349chakan349 Member Posts: 1

damn i hope i get my char back, was a lot of invested gametime in it