Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online: The Official Review

Comments

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

Originally posted by rhinok

Originally posted by WSIMike

Here we are with a review that is quite harsh and critical of the game... Yet, people still aaren't satisfied. Why? Because the reviewer had the *nerve* to say positive things about it as well.

Not at all surprising 'round these parts, though.

You're right, the review was "quite harsh and critical of the game", but the score didn't reflect that. That's what people are upset about.

~Ripper

Knowing what the conversation is talking about is an important factor to reading comprehension,  you have explained the topic well Ripper. 

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Originally posted by LiquidWolf

My problem with the review is a philosophical one.  I strongly believe that reviews should be based on the product that exists when being reviewed.  If a reviewer has high hopes for future changes in a game.. those should be factored in seperately and not listed as a key factor in the rating.  Again.. that is simply MY opinion.   If the review simply stated, "The game is currently rated as X... but I think it has the potential to get a rating of Y down the road if they can fulfill all this potential"... I would have no issues with it.

As I said perviously... every MMO game in existance has had the potential (no matter how small) to eventually turn into a "10".  

>>>>>  So does everyone else that has nothing to hide.

>>>>>  Exactly, and how many actually achieve a "10".     Ignore reality at your own peril.  Or your wallets. 

MMORPG.com reviews are getting to the point where you need to subtract 2-3 just because of the source. 

You may as well rate every MMO game a 6-8 because it has models that function and the "potential" to become more than it is.  Wait....

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• DomestoDomesto Member Posts: 110

Great review. I think this game is great, yes it is still buggy but just the direction they are going is everything I have been waiting for in an MMORPG for a long time.

For some reason some people have been trying to discredit this game even before it was released. All you need to do is check their post history and you can see that they have been posting negative info about the game for a very long time.

As time goes on and the bugs are worked out this game is going to be a classic I think.

Have a nice day! :)

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221

Originally posted by username509

There are some major flaws with this review.

1.  The game is not yet 6 months old.

2.  A new patch came out just after the review but before the 6 month mark.

3.  Most if not all of the 21 bugs the reviewer claims to have encountered have already been patched.

4.  There is no mention of nudity or the extremely "adult" content in the game.  Probably to ensure a pg13 review that's suitable for mmorpg.com

5.  So called desync issues players were experiancing have disappeared in this newest patch.

With all these things considered I'm sure the reviewer would have rewarded Mortal Online a 9+ if he based his review off the current patch instead of older versions of the client.

If your into openword open pvp sandbox MMO's you can't go wrong with Mortal Online.

As far as #3 is concerned, how the hell do you know that?  He didn't say what the bugs were.

Also, #4 - "no mention of nudity..".. Did you even READ the review?  He mentions the nudity in 2 or 3 sentences, at least, and I got bored and stopped reading before I finished the review.

6.9 seems overly generous, considering the things even HE SAID about the game.  I agree with another poster.  Rating a game based on potential?  Christ!  How stupid is that?  You could go ahead and say EVERY lacking, unfinished, game has potential, if you really wanted to, and you wouldn't be wrong.  Some may have more potential than others, but that would never make me rate a game higher than where it should be because of it.  Judge the game for what people actually see now, some some "potential" of what it could be, and from what people are saying, probably will never see.

The comment that people hate MINDLESS pvp, killing or being a prick just because the game lets you, then blaming people that don't like it, and saying they don't have imagination, was effing absurd.  WTF does imagination have to do with griefers?  These people RUIN online games.  If they did anything like this in real life, they would get their asses handed to them, in a heartbeat, and I'd be in line to provide that service.

Whatever.

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221

Originally posted by rhinok

Originally posted by Lahuzer

Originally posted by choujiofkono

Originally posted by Lahuzer

Sifting through community posts would tell a different story at times but I think people are not really taking the game in the spirit of how it is meant".

Amen.

>>>>>  LoL @ You're doing it wrong

I have not played the game and have no opinion on it personally but this excuse used by perma-fans, particularly people that are supposed to be professionals, is insane. 

There is no right or wrong in player perception.  Reality is reality.  If the majority of players say the game is broken, buggy, and the developer is not trustworthy or follows through with anything he says then that is the reality.  You can sprinkle sugar all over it and it won't change the facts no matter how much you hold your breath or squint your eyes. 

The intelligent way to defend a game is to debate the critics rationally and provide your own counter-proof to prove your point.  That is not being done.  Fans agree with critics but "like" the game anyway for reasons that are usually not provable with data from reality. 

It's a seriously disturbing trend that points to the industry itself contributing to players purchasing every game from the genre they like just to find out if it's worth spending money on or not. 

You missed the "Regardless of the bugs and slight unfinished feel, Mortal Online is supremely enjoyable. There are enough developed class-types to keep you occupied while more updates roll out and the game is more than stable enough to play"-part...  And if you read what I´ve written before you can see some of my points on it. I don´t wanna repeat myself every single time.

"riddled to the core with bugs and is woefully unfinished to the point that is really hard to defend and shield it from criticism"

Fun? Maybe, if you're a fan of the game and genre and have an inhuman tolerance for bugs, desync, lag, and an unfinished beta game.  Fun is only one component of the game's rating, though and there's no arguing the game--as a whole--is a mess.

~Ripper

Not to mention, it's a sub-based game, so you are throwing your money away too.

Even with the positive comments - I'm staying far away from this title.  That same old adage comes to play here.  DO something about games that come before they are even close to complete - I am.  I'm NOT going to pay for it.  No one else should either.  Screw potential.  Charging money for this garbage, is THIS day and age?  Pathetic.

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

MMORPG.com now has Mortal Online rated higher than Darkfall.  Get f'in real.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by comerb
    MMORPG.com now has Mortal Online rated higher than Darkfall.  Get f'in real.

Can you get killed by being stuck in a roof in Darkfall? No! It lacks features! Thus the rating. :-)

Paying for the game and then a sub seems wrong given how busted the code is, even compared to the other busted games that publishers try to feed us.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• headenheaden Member UncommonPosts: 229

Greatest Thread Ever Created On This Site!  evAr!

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Look out. Giving Mortal Online anything less than an 8 will result in SV contacting you for "vandalizing" their game. You'll be recieving their bully attempts soon.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• IcegotenIcegoten Member UncommonPosts: 138

Originally posted by monstermmo

Its a very informative review. At first i was runnin to go buy the game but then i read comments and im kind of torn.

It looks and sounds great, but if comments from the actual players of the game are any indication of whats to come i dont wanna buy the game. The game itself sounds fine but the way people talk about SV makes me not want to get it.

It is a pretty cool game to play for maybe a week but you will soon find yourself asking "What is there to do?"

Everything is nearly based on interacting with other players. There aren't many long term goals you can do in this game. When you log on for the day and think about what you need to do, well you find that you are either playing solo and only can think on working on your character skills, or you have to log on to IRC, vent, teamspeak, or whatever to talk with your guild to see what things you need to work on to do some kind of activity together.

This game needs more work. It's cool that they have lore and stuff but what good is it all if you can't reflect any of your gameplay on it. One of the features that had the biggest impact on me was the mentioning of monsters that were only in the game one time, and once it was killed it would never been seen again (So you would hope the killers at least FRAPS it first). 

One thing I can think of off the top of my head that would just add so much more to the game is adding some sort of boss type monster. So to put lore to use, you could figure out that there are legends of a wizard who lives in a certain mountain in Nave. You get a bunch of guys together to mine the rocks there and over time with enough of it mined you all uncover a hidden entrance. Entering the darkness of inside the mountain you discover many new hostile creatures never before seen. So you have to fight your way through and explore. You come across evidence of civilization, only to discover it is by some foreign creatures.

Now here is were player choices really begin to shape the world. The players who discovered the area could try to protect the creatures from other players who want to kill them for loot, could kill them for loot themselves, could try to decode their dialog to be able to understand them, steal from them all but leave them alive, join them in their civilized practices, live with them, and so many other things they could do. The choices players make will create some kind of stir in the world because for all we know those creatures could be planning to launch some kind of attack on a city. Killing that race of creatures could prove to be beneficial or harmful. To throw in another twist what if they were able to teach dark magic. If you were in a mage guild then you might try to hide it from the world, figure out how to obtain their dark magic, and then you would be the only one's in the game with dark magic (for the moment because if you keep up with your lore you could find alternatives)

That is just the kind of stuff I believe Mortal Online is capable of but I'm holding off on buying this game again until they add more to the world than just wanting to kill other players without much goal other than to get their loot.

• GoldiusGoldius Member UncommonPosts: 42

All i can say is beware of these MMO sites pushing reviews for game companies that spend advertising $ with them. This is a perfect example.

Companies like MO and sites like MMORPG seem to think it's the norm now to release a game and promote it as "ready" only to make excuses as to why content isn't as promised prior to release or even in a working state for that matter.

They start spamming reviews like this exhorting "potential" and "sandbox" instead of publishing the truth which is" show your consumer choice and don't fall for these games that are unfinished piles of crap"

This site is becoming as sad as this game.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Wonder what Henrik Nystroms (CEO SV) views are on this little review

an entertaining statement from Henrik in reference to the MO forums here

"Try to avoid to believe on what some people say on that forum, they do nothing more than lie and make up stories or impersonating devs and it's mostly coming from the same guys over and over again. I hear it's the same persons still since what, a year now since a ban from Mortal Online. This is nothing new, its like this for pretty much all companies/games out there. We are not affected nor changing our plans because some rumors etc.

SV nor MO won't shut down in the end of this year or anytime near it, The license agreement with Epic doesn't even work like that, those so called "devs" or "guys" on that site that talks about that, they have obviously no clue about how it works nor our partnership with Epic Games, whats being said about it is all wrong.

Like I said before, we are now focusing on social/pve for MO. And will start getting new players into the game, and make people aware of Mortal Online, which is still a minority.

Thanks for your support guys.

You get the right facts and information on this community and no other.

I guess this will come next on that site"

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by gatheris

Wonder what Henrik Nystroms (CEO SV) views are on this little review

an entertaining statement from Henrik in reference to the MO forums here

"Try to avoid to believe on what some people say on that forum, they do nothing more than lie and make up stories or impersonating devs and it's mostly coming from the same guys over and over again. I hear it's the same persons still since what, a year now since a ban from Mortal Online. This is nothing new, its like this for pretty much all companies/games out there. We are not affected nor changing our plans because some rumors etc.

SV nor MO won't shut down in the end of this year or anytime near it, The license agreement with Epic doesn't even work like that, those so called "devs" or "guys" on that site that talks about that, they have obviously no clue about how it works nor our partnership with Epic Games, whats being said about it is all wrong.

Like I said before, we are now focusing on social/pve for MO. And will start getting new players into the game, and make people aware of Mortal Online, which is still a minority.

Thanks for your support guys.

You get the right facts and information on this community and no other.

I guess this will come next on that site"

I'm surprised MMORPG.com even hosts MO on this site for all the sh!t that Community Managers and Developers say about MMORPG.com

Apparently we're all trolls, fakes, liars, and kids.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• xxtriadxxxxtriadxx Member UncommonPosts: 155

The review is mostly spot on. Games got potential but is simply buggy and lacking in content. Otherwise it has the base for a trully epic game.

Its much much muich better then it was in beta or a couple of months after "release". If you are wiling to put up with alot of BS its worth it now... if not  then wait on it.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Thank you for this review and a great write-up too. It neatly described the strengths and weaknesses of this game. I'm looking forward to some developer efforts before I jump in.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Considering how broken this game is, it should of gotten a lower score than darkfall even if some of the systems are better than darkfalls. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• QunitillianQunitillian Member Posts: 99

IMO this review is highly disingenuous.  I think it wrong to award as a positive somethings potential...surely you appriase what is infront of you not could be infront of you?

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

K let me make it clear to everyone about these dvds. Since some are trying to use that as a way to discredit the devs so here are the facts.

. There were originally no boxed copies planned for mo or special edition. However to to the constant requests from the fan base at large who were wanting to pay extra to help support the devs and their game they decided to offer a boxed copy. Also 999 limited editions copies which were practically non profitable.

. Part of the deal with these boxed copies was that future versions of the game would be sent out on discs throughout the life of MO. Probably after major expansions etc (which are free to all)

.On release a large portion of the community were demanding there dvd discs. Esentially wanting them regardless of the fact the release was a mess and the disc would be outdated extrmeely quickly afterall patches were every 2 weeks and large in size. Discs were sent and recieved.

.After first few weeks the game could no longer be installed from the discs becasue suprisingly the version wasnt the same and the whole patching process had changed.

.A few weeks later the game can now be installed using the original discs. All this time those who owned the discs were still able to download the game through the site so they could still play fine. But now the discs work with the patches all is good.

.New discs will likely be sent out when some major changes and conant have been added. wanting a new disc every few months isnt what the devs were planning. Think of it like this you buy eve. Then recieve a new disc for each major expansion like tyrannis and not for each patch.

So people please stop going on about these discs they work you can insdtall the game, it was shitty you couldnt use the discs for the first month but you could still paly by downloading it through the site.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

also i found no point in this review were he said the score had been influenced by the games potnetial so why do people jump to conclusions? is it becasue theres a lot of hate mongering aimed at this game so the fact that he enjoyed it enough to give it 6.9 must mean hes reviewing a future version? i have enjoyed the game alot despite its bugs. Infact hidden and dangerous was a game that was buggy beyond belief but at the time of release awarded a 9.10 score because its was the best ww2 game on the market at that time and had some serious features to seperate it from the norm. Same goes for stalker.

I would also like to add that you can, if you want, evaluate this potential better. Particularly if you insist on using that as a value in your final score. Here you have to look at SVs ability to deliver which would mean looking at their track record of successful patches. And here we hit a brick wall. SV has failed in its patches.

Go look at the bug tracker and look at its history. There are still bugs from clsoed beta in the game. Even when they claim to have fixed them and close a ticket, the reality is that sometimes it is not fixed and another ticket appears. Hell, all the duping bugs are not allwoed to  be put on the tracker! I got told off for posting one on the tracker!

Nearly every patch said to fix something or provide content has broken something else. So how the hell can you award such a large weighting to potential given  SVs track record on delivering is so poor? This si waht we mean by potential too, potential to deliver and clearly we know that they can't.

This is not a subjective remark and can be verrified if you took the time to actually do your homework. If you keep this score of 6.9...which is average, and keep to this potential thing so that you can justify such a score, I really have to ask to what extent are you complicit in creating a false impression? You have not even used your own screen shots but rather those ptovided for you. Lets see what the game looks like on your machine as you play it when everything is not set to high and highly structured and planned eh?

*fumes*

yea duping bugs are to be private messagd to the devs to stop people learing them from the tracker.Which is imo a good thing.

i play the game on a 4 year old system with medium setting dynamic shadows and bloom. Looks great.

Way to play the strawman deathshroud in choice picking which of my comments to engage with. Really interested to see the reviewer respond to what I say about asessing potential.

he iddnt mention in his review that potential played a part in th score so...

Don't be an idiot deathshroud, of course it played a role in his score. He clearly outweighs the negatives with it. Just look at the pros and cons as indicatives of the vbreakdown of the score. You getting desperate mate?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,745

No doubt there will be guides in character design, you will just have to take the time to check the forums, that’s all.

The bugs are the real issue, will the game get those in order before launch? After launch may be too late, other MMO’s like Vanguard thought they could do that and never managed it.

I can’t see why they have no in game map. You can argue that a map with an arrow showing where you are and everything you can interact with is easy mode. But just a map with names is fine, they have gone too far there.

Not being able to work out which items are best is just silly, I see that adding nothing to the game.

Is it open PvP, that is a bad move at the very least you need cities to be safe. Regional pvp has always been the best that would be the surest way to go.

Scot the game has been launched / released. People are being charged to play this game and reviews like this will encourage otehrs to part with their cash for a game that is not what it is advertised to be. Its getting criminal tbh; its a trend in the mmo industry more generally imo.