Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard's new MMOFPS: Titan.

AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Apparently a rumor of a leak from MMO champion that Blizzard's new MMO is a MMOFPS called "Titan".

Thanks to Qazz for posting this article:
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/halo-mmo-could-have-been-wow-killer-says-ex-ensemble-developer/

It's well known that prior to being closed Ensemble Studios was working on a Halo MMO codenamed Titan.

Monk added that since Ensemble's closure, some of the scattered staff have gone to Blizzard, including Greg Street.

Also note worthy that Bungie has joined up with ActivisionBlizzard.

It is becoming more likely that Blizzard may actually be working on a Halo MMOFPS.

Comments

• DreamionDreamion Member UncommonPosts: 287

I want official response from blizzard, maybe next year tho. 2013/14, can't wait that long!

• AdvancedTechAdvancedTech Member UncommonPosts: 165

That's all it is, a rumor. On mmo champ there's a "leak" graph that shows the release of certain things. It's not by blizzard and is to be taken very lightly.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Let's assume Titan is right, then what kind of a game would it be?

Titan is from Greek mythology so it could be a game set in classic Greece.

Since it also tend to mean large ships it could be a space game or for that matter a game on the sea.

So in fact it could be a fantasy, modern or Sci-fi... Very helpful. ;)

And MMOFPS is kinda a broad term too, it can mean a multiplayer FPS game without xp and just on gear, a twitched based MMO in style of DFO or even with classes or anything between those extremes.

So even if Titan is true our knowledge is close to zero. Assuming that it will be something close to Eve or planetside is far too early and rather risky.

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

Hmm, this is very interesting.  Might not be too long before we hear something official...let's hope.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP...look at this article! 

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/halo-mmo-could-have-been-wow-killer-says-ex-ensemble-developer/

SO, Greg Street (Ghostcrawler) and others that now work for Blizzard used to work for the group that was working on a Halo MMO....which was also named "Titan".

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Qazz
    Hmm, this is very interesting.  Might not be too long before we hear something official...let's hope.
    SO, Greg Street (Ghostcrawler) and others that now work for Blizzard used to work for the group that was working on a Halo MMO....which was also named "Titan".

You sir just got my hopes up. Let's hope it's just more than a coincidence.

Forgot to also mention some thing people may have forgotten.

Bungie did join up with ActivisionBlizzard.

Originally posted by AzurePrower

You sir just got my hopes up. Let's hope it's just more than a coincidence.

Very, very interesting connection.  I don't think it's by accident, but I guess it could be an inside joke within Blizzard.

• CorruptedCorrupted Member Posts: 310

I'm not sure if you guys are reading the same thing I am or I'm just crazy. All the article really talks about is pretty much saying that they "were" working on a "Halo"  MMO that was going to be called "Titan" that was going to compete with WoW.

The project had fell through and some of the staff scattered and joined Blizzard. This is years ago when all this had happened. So from what I'm getting is that, all he is saying is that if they "had" compeleted this game, it would have been better or been as good as WoW.

Originally posted by Corrupted

I'm not sure if you guys are reading the same thing I am or I'm just crazy. All the article really talks about is pretty much saying that they "were" working on a "Halo"  MMO that was going to be called "Titan" that was going to compete with WoW.

The project had fell through and some of the staff scattered and joined Blizzard. This is years ago when all this had happened. So from what I'm getting is that, all he is saying is that if they "had" compeleted this game, it would have been better or been as good as WoW.

The relevance of the article isn't it's original intent.  It's in the fact that Blizzard employees, like Ghostcrawler, were working on a Halo MMOFPS code-named "Titan" that was shut down.  Now Blizzard suddenly has a MMOFPS that shares the exact same code-name to be released in the future.

It's very possible that Blizzard is developing a Halo MMOFPS.

The OP was referring to this leak which came out just today:

http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2010/november/blizzardslate.jpg

Edited for typo.

It's very possible that Blizzard is developing a Halo MMORPG.

MMOFPS*

There will be many nay sayers though. But at least we got some thing to hope for until it's confirmed.

• BrodieBroosBrodieBroos Member Posts: 32

Maybe a starcraft MMOFPS, but definitely not a Halo one.  Don't forget Microsoft owns the Halo franchise, not just the name.  Bungie sold the rights, long ago.  I personally hope it is a Diablo MMO, and a more hardcore, less of a themepark game.  

Blizzard said the new MMO won't be any of their existing IPs.

As much as I want a Starcraft MMO.

• BrodieBroosBrodieBroos Member Posts: 32

Well I just can't imagine it being a Halo MMO.  Even if they tried to make it similiar in make and style, you know that Microsoft would sue like crazy.  I would'nt even want to play a game like that anyways.  Halo is a great game in its own right, but come on it is pretty much the same game over and over again now.  Very short story arc as well.    I hope they do something new and innovative, and that does not center around who has the best gear.   Best gear should always be player made IMO.

• viddsterviddster Member UncommonPosts: 220

Blizzards new MMO is codename 'Hydra' not 'Titan', and they have stated it is an entirely new IP. So speculation that it is another game reworked have already been rebuked. They will certainly be making it different from wow to mop up as much of the gaming community as possible, so s sci-fi game is likely.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

Originally posted by Dreamion

I want official response from blizzard, maybe next year tho. 2013/14, can't wait that long!

You can wait because you have no choice, mwahahahaha.

Originally posted by viddster
    Blizzards new MMO is codename 'Hydra' not 'Titan', and they have stated it is an entirely new IP. So speculation that it is another game reworked have already been rebuked. They will certainly be making it different from wow to mop up as much of the gaming community as possible, so s sci-fi game is likely.

As reposted by Qazz

http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2010/november/blizzardslate.jpg

Hydra is not on the list. Only Titan is. Though we're all still speculating even though the product slate is most likely a legit leak.

I've been looking more into this overnight and it does seem that the Halo IP is Microsoft property.  When Bungie left Microsoft, they left the Halo IP behind.

So this reminds me...

Blizzard was originally working on a Warhammer MMORPG, when the deal fell through.  They took elements of Warhammer, and invented Warcraft.

Why couldn't they do the same with Halo? So even if it isn't exactly a Halo branded game, there's nothing stopping them from making something new and put their own spin on it.

• Meh-sah-yaMeh-sah-ya Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by viddster

Last time I checked, it was indeed called 'Hydra'. Dont know where 'Titan' came from.

I've been looking more into this overnight and it does seem that the Halo IP is Microsoft property.  When Bungie left Microsoft, they left the Halo IP behind.

So this reminds me...

Blizzard was originally working on a Warhammer MMORPG, when the deal fell through.  They took elements of Warhammer, and invented Warcraft.

Why couldn't they do the same with Halo? So even if it isn't exactly a Halo branded game, there's nothing stopping them from making something new and put their own spin on it.

This actually sounds more reasonable than your original post. Perhaps an action-based MMO (as seems to be the new trend) in an interesting sci-fi setting? Then again, why the hell would they not want to use the Starcraft IP for that?

*head explodes.

Santa Claus says such cruel things.

• gauge2k3gauge2k3 Member Posts: 442

you guys still question MMO champion......these guys are right all the figgen time.

• RynneRynne Member UncommonPosts: 497

So we have project Titan and then people throw all kind of assumptions on the web. But really it's just this: project Titan. Not even the final name of the game. How can people draw information out of this?

• Gardavil2Gardavil2 Member Posts: 394

When I first saw the Halo IP, I said to myself "what a rip off of the Ringworld IP. I never finished Halo the game, so I do not know just how much of the Ringworld story is in Halo, so forgive me.

If Halo is a seperate IP from Ringworld (legally)...

What if Blizzard's new MMOFPS is built using a "pure" Ringworld IP setting? Using the talents of developers that at one time worked on a Halo MMO project would then make sense to me at least.

Of course this is a question of whether the Halo IP is legally the same as the sci-fi literature Ringworld.

I am the Player that wonders... "What the %#*& just happened?!"
    "I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "
    __Ever Present Cockroach of the MMO Verses__
    ...scurrying to and fro... .munching on bits of garbage... always under foot...

Originally posted by Rynne

So we have project Titan and then people throw all kind of assumptions on the web. But really it's just this: project Titan. Not even the final name of the game. How can people draw information out of this?

Only for it's obvious connection with another mmofps that was code-named Titan that was based on Halo... you do know that Ghostcrawler and other current Blizz employees were working on that project and they all thought it would have been a WoW competitor?

This is too juicy to leave alone imho!

Only for it's obvious connection with another mmofps that was code-named Titan that was based on Halo... you do know that Ghostcrawler and other current Blizz employees were working on that project and they all thought it would have been a WoW competitor?

Bungie's MMO who were the developers of Halo can be as well completely irrelevant to that of Blizzard despite their partnership.

http://www.blizzmmo.com/topic/43-activision-blizzard-working-with-bungie-for-new-game-universe/

Bungie's MMO who were the developers of Halo can be as well completely irrelevant to that of Blizzard despite their partnership.

http://www.blizzmmo.com/topic/43-activision-blizzard-working-with-bungie-for-new-game-universe/

I'm not sure what to do w/ the Bungie connection.  The only connection I see is that some of the key folks working on the Halo MMOFPS are working for Blizzard.  At a glance, this is a very loose connection at best, since those developers were Ensemble Studios, not Bungie so their connection may not even matter. I don't know how close Bungie worked with Ensemble.  I'll be looking for more regarding that clue.

It's very strange though how these 'planets' are aligning together, the more we learn.  It's also understandable how they might be excited about what they're developing.  I am!

I'm not sure what to do w/ the Bungie connection.  The only connection I see is that some of the key folks working on the Halo MMOFPS are working for Blizzard.  At a glance, this is a very loose connection at best, since those developers were Ensemble Studios, not Bungie so their connection may not even matter. I don't know how close Bungie worked with Ensemble.  I'll be looking for more regarding that clue.

It's very strange though how these 'planets' are aligning together, the more we learn.  It's also understandable how they might be excited about what they're developing.  I am!

Seeing as we heard from all kind of officials and whatnot that Blizzard's new MMO will be based on an entirely new IP it leads me to believe that it has little to do with Halo. As crazy as it sounds we could as well have a Halo MMO from Bungie and another Sci-Fi MMOFPS from Blizzard.