Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perpetuum, the best open ended sandboxish mmo to release since EVE?

Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
Title says it all really. In my opinion I would say no because I strongly feel Ryzom is better but I still wanna know what you guys think. It's not like we have a lot to compare Perpetuum to besides Eve. I think it's a nice little robot themed space trader mmo.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
Waiting on: GW2, BP

Comments

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

For me personally it felt too much like Eve to really get into it, but as a game itself it lacks content or any purpose really. Some people seem to quite enjoy it, so more power to them but I agree with you Ryzom is a much much better game.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

How is Ryzom a sandbox and not simply a rather unique group based grinder in the vein of Everquest, AC, or AO?

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

It's the same UI as Eve, i'm wondering is this EVE but on the ground ?  I mean EVE is basicly a pvp game, is it the same case with this game ?  Some PVE but mostly PVP ?   I'm so hungry for a good Sci-Fi MMO that's not PVP centric.

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361

It's up there with EVE. I wouldn't consider Ryzom an open ended sandbox though.

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

it moves a lot faster than EvE.  What I mean is your not afk 247 playing it. That's the #1 kicker.

For the most part EvE plays itself while you dual box some other game or the Web playing poker or something.....lol

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269

Never cared much for EvE, loving Perpetuum, never heard of 'Ryzom'.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Gabby-air
    For me personally it felt too much like Eve to really get into it, but as a game itself it lacks content or any purpose really. Some people seem to quite enjoy it, so more power to them but I agree with you Ryzom is a much much better game.

You're comparing apples and oranges. I've played both games and I've got to say that PO's implementation of their vision is more polished than Ryzom's. It's definitely more focused.

Ryzom isn't a bad game...in fact it's a really good game. But Ryzom and Perpetuum are not really comparable. The vision for each game is just too different.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• WarbsWarbs Member Posts: 245

Originally posted by D_TOX

Never cared much for EvE, loving Perpetuum, never heard of 'Ryzom'.

same for me and since joining a corp i feel very involved in the games political,combat and economical side

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413

Ryzom was interesting but didnt last long for me, Perpetuum has so much more to do.. Better mechanics and loads more content and depth. Perpetuum any day over Ryzom for me!

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Its good there are some people that do like PerpO I'd hate to see it fail.

If it ends up being a success, will it be the start of a new clone trend?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by mmoguy43

The Magic 8 Ball says, "Yes".

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• NekrataalNekrataal Member Posts: 557

I sure hope not as RTT is a failed mechanic for MMO imo.

Look at ER for how skills should work in a sandbox. So much better... but don't fear, there'll always be an RTT PvP game somewhere as there's people that rely on that kind of mechanic to stay competitive/on top...

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Originally posted by lizardbones

The Magic 8 Ball says, "Yes".

If that happens expect these forusm to be suddenly filled with themepark fanbois complaining about how there are no good MMORPGs anymore and how everything is an Eve clone.