Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Pirates of the Burning Sea: F2P To Go Live on 11-29

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,619MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

Flying Lab and the Pirates of the Burning Sea team have delayed the free-to-play iteration of the game slightly and it is set to go live on Monday, November 29, 2010. Servers will be brought down between 4-9 a.m. PST that day though times are subject to change. When servers restart, POTBS will be free to play!

We plan to publish build 2.1 to our live servers on Monday, November 29th. Antigua and Roberts should be down between 4am and 9am PST*. This patch will take Pirates of the Burning Sea Free to Play!

The exact release time may change based on conversations we have with SOE later this week, and we plan to keep you up to date with any changes.

We invite you to hang out in the official Pirates of the Burning Sea chat channel while the servers are down.

Read more here.

Thanks, Cecropia!

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

Comments

• rodingorodingo Posts: 2,346Member Uncommon

I have placed this game into the "wasted potential" pile, back at the end of their open beta. Every now and again I have checked on it to see if parts of the gameplay where tweaked or changed good enough to subscribe too.  Since the tweaks or changes never happened to the level I hoped, I never bothered to subscribe. Now I might, MAYBE, give it another chance. But not until next year's dry spell of new, single and multiplayer games hits.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• ricololzricololz windsor, COPosts: 12Member

I played the pirates of the burning sea, its quite nice and for it to be played for free is a good news.

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono no, OHPosts: 852Member

Massively covered the delay of the FTP release of this game already:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/11/22/pirates-of-the-burning-sea-delays-f2p-conversion/

"   Early this morning, Flying Lab producer Michelle "Misha" Williams posted on the game's official forum, confirming that the transformation will be pushed back.

In an email originally sent in late October, PotBS account holders were informed that the F2P switcheroo would occur "on or around November 22." Williams relates that both SOE and Flying Lab determined that a delay was in everyone's best interest. "While some of us had visions of tons of new players spending their entire Thanksgiving weekend doing their Christmas shopping in Pirates of the Burning Sea's Treasure Aisle, we've had to measure that against the risk of putting out a build with too many bugs on a short week when many folks crucial to responding to potential problems aren't available to do so," she writes.  "

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• TweFojuTweFoju Saitama & Jakarta ( current )Posts: 1,013Member Uncommon

i played for 2 hours, not a single chat is going on

F2P was supposed to bring in many players, but really, im not sure if i am in the right town, but i am a Freetrader from Spain, and the beginners area have no one !

felt bored already, i know this game is quite good, but it just felt dead

So What Now?

• Methos12Methos12 Maladis 46Posts: 1,234Member Uncommon

Funny, I tried the EU server and the starting area and chat were packed. Not much to say, but it's a more than decent F2P off-MMO if you have an active sub on your main one.

Nature without Technology is little more than animals running about.
    Nature without Magic is without wonder or miracle.
    Magic without Technology is fantasy.
    Magic without Nature is formless and useless.
    Technology without Nature is application without understanding.
    Technology without Magic is repetitious and uninventive.
  • neorandomneorandom bev hills, CAPosts: 1,681Member

spain pffft

this game was always about being a pirate!

but when i played the avatar combat was an atrocity or holocaust proportions, i kid you not it was that bad

and your ship sailed at 3574 miles per hour (i measured, i went 3,574 miles in 1 hour) that was with the wind and had a helpfull current on more then 1 occasion, but still, it go that far that fast in a wooden sail ship, insulting!

• jaxsundanejaxsundane milwaukee, WIPosts: 2,776Member

I've played this game before and thought it was an ok game, myself though I'm just not that into pirates so I don't see why I would play the game again even as a free to play.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....