Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Potbs Delays Free2Play Conversion

Expecting Launch the week after Thanksgiving. . .guess that's next week.

http://www.burningsea.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1066412#post1066412

http://www.massively.com/

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

Expecting Launch the week after Thanksgiving. . .guess that's next week.

http://www.burningsea.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1066412#post1066412

http://www.massively.com/

It is now going to be launched on the 29th,tomorrow sometime:

http://www.burningsea.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78360

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    I can't wait for this. This game is going to show future devs that just by switching to f2p doesn't mean your game is going to make buckets of cash. Right now DDO and LotRO have devs interested, all the devs are creating fallback f2p conversion plans just in case p2p doesn't work. Once they see this game fail, followed by champions online. We won't have to worry about every piece of crap mmo converting to f2p and saturating the market.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

The last post made in this thread was 2 hours and 10 minutes ago,so it has long cleared the scrolling preview list so you just decided to go haunt the potbs forum and show who you are.Too bad you dont have any idea what your ranting about either.I personally thing it is going to help both games you seem to be trolling and I dont think either is looking for "buckets "of cash as you put it.Do you check the specific forums of games you dont like to spout negativity often?

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Originally posted by Asheram

The last post made in this thread was 2 hours and 10 minutes ago,so it has long cleared the scrolling preview list so you just decided to go haunt the potbs forum and show who you are.Too bad you dont have any idea what your ranting about either.I personally thing it is going to help both games you seem to be trolling and I dont think either is looking for "buckets "of cash as you put it.Do you check the specific forums of games you dont like to spout negativity often?

I'm not trolling. This game isn't very good and by going f2p it won't suddenly be good. Games like. DDO and Lotro were good games before the conversations. This genre needs games like this to fail to prove a point.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

I am looking forward to try Potbs again! Seems like they are doing F2P right and not screwing it up like SOE did with EQ2.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

Originally posted by Rockgod99

I'm not trolling. This game isn't very good and by going f2p it won't suddenly be good. Games like. DDO and Lotro were good games before the conversations. This genre needs games like this to fail to prove a point.

If you dont like it dont play it I dont see the need to go jump its forums and do what you say your not.LOTRO was boring before f2p and just as boring after it,all the f2p did for me was save me the cost of $15 to realize why I stopped playing it 6 months prior.Unlike LOTRO I will definately be spending more time in both POTBS and CO and sorry because some jilted forum hopper claims they will fail doesnt make it so.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I wouldn't want to release anything that close to WoW.  That alone would be reason to push back.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

I wouldn't want to release anything that close to WoW.  That alone would be reason to push back.

What? How does converting a already released game to F2P makes it close to Wow?

Sorry,  close to WoW's release date.

Competition for attention is high right now.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

If you dont like it dont play it I dont see the need to go jump its forums and do what you say your not.LOTRO was boring before f2p and just as boring after it,all the f2p did for me was save me the cost of $15 to realize why I stopped playing it 6 months prior.Unlike LOTRO I will definately be spending more time in both POTBS and CO and sorry because some jilted forum hopper claims they will fail doesnt make it so.

Sorry dude, you can say what you want, but POTBS is just utter crap, and CO is one of the most shallow games made, by the most crappy developer among us. Saying LOTRO is boring, okay, I can live with that. But Rockgod99 is right by saying they were already good games before the F2P switch. And from all the games available on the market, you really want to play those two.. Dude, seriously? 

And yeah, I am bored at the moment (Hence MapleStory in my Xfire profile), and I don't have time due to a busy week with college work, but still. Quality F2P before some Quantity product.

Originally posted by causs

Sorry dude, you can say what you want, but POTBS is just utter crap, and CO is one of the most shallow games made, by the most crappy developer among us. Saying LOTRO is boring, okay, I can live with that. But Rockgod99 is right by saying they were already good games before the F2P switch. And from all the games available on the market, you really want to play those two.. Dude, seriously? 

And yeah, I am bored at the moment (Hence MapleStory in my Xfire profile), and I don't have time due to a busy week with college work, but still. Quality F2P before some Quantity product.

Yea and you can say what you want also,it doesnt make it fact it makes it your opinion.You dont like my taste and what I would rather play well dont know how to help you with that one,opinions are opinions every one has one and they all pretty much stink like the saying goes.I guess I will change what I like because you said "Dude ,seriously" cuz we all know gaming is serious bizness.

This wasnt even a thread about peoples opinion of the game it was a fyi on the release date for the f2p but someone seemed to successfully turn it into one.Anyhow I dont think that the number of people that dont play or try a game because of some peoples opinions on this sight are very high.

• TyrrhonTyrrhon Member Posts: 412

This is the right game to turn into F2P, it is different and some cautious people like me could be otherwise reluctant to try it. I cannot say F2P will work for it but its is the right game to try it.

What we don't need is another F2P WoW clone for WoW refugees, we have enough now and they are quite decent. But some guy just bough whole LOTRO package and must keep ensuring himself that his kilo bucks or so is money well spent; despite the feeling that his EvE break would be better spent somewhere more alternative.

Edit: And thx for the info thread, the game is otherwise quite under radar.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

I am going to have to agree that this game going F2P is probably not going to do much, it is not magically going to become good, because it is free.

Instead of a below average game with a full sub fee, it is being converted into 2/3 of a below average game for no sub fee.

Free crap is still crap.

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

Im a bit late to this thread but I think converting this game to free to play is an exellent Idea!. The game is not horrible and actually kinda fun to play. Might not be worth a monthly sub. But Free to play you get alot for your time... And it might pull in a few people who were reluctant to pick it up before.

Just my thoughts on the mather.. there are alot more horrried games out there.

Originally posted by Zlayer77

Im a bit late to this thread but I think converting this game to free to play is an exellent Idea!. The game is not horrible and actually kinda fun to play. Might not be worth a monthly sub. But Free to play you get alot for your time... And it might pull in a few people who were reluctant to pick it up before.

There is also the angle that F2P can actually improve a game by increasing population.  Grouping gets easier, economies are more active, and the world feels more alive.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

but I think converting this game to free to play is an exellent Idea!. The game is not horrible and actually kinda fun to play. Might not be worth a monthly sub. But Free to play you get alot for your time... And it might pull in a few people who were reluctant to pick it up before.

There is also the angle that F2P can actually improve a game by increasing population.  Grouping gets easier, economies are more active, and the world feels more alive.

I'm with Zlayer on this.  I was a pre-boarder, paid and played, dropped, came back and it just never felt worth the money after my first toon max'd out.  Now I can pick it up whenever, play some, walk away and come back in a months time and not worry about a sub.  Fun ship to ship action, not so much Avcom.  Don't see it getting 'physically' better, but in the shape it's in now it's well worth the zero cost.

Action: It has helped to a degree.  I think we're starting to see the peak, but it did / does feel more alive, there are things to buy on the AH once again and you see alot of LFG's in Nation Chat.

It's one of those easy games to play, hard to play good types and that kept alot away, now it's more accessible and that's all the better.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

I disagree that going F2P will improve anything, but I agree that PotBS is a perfect game to go F2P.

The conversion to F2P is an excellent "last gasp" option for games which have already paid off their development costs via box sales and subscriptions and which are failing. It's not  going to make the games any better, but it is a way for the company running them to keep the doors open for a while longer.