Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Crew Skills: Impressive, Most Impressive

Comments

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by Darth_Osor

I really don't get the whining over the companions doing the crafting.  Does it really matter if the animation is of your avatar moving his hands around to make something or if it's a companions hands moving?  You're still the one leveling up the skill and directing  what is being made.  As for gathering, you *can* do it yourself if you want.  Personally, I'll be glad to not have to run around looking for nodes and having other players ninja a node because some mob aggroed me.

I'm more worried about the number of recipes and whether crafting will actually be *worth* leveling.

Exactly. Watch the Crew Skills vid to see your avatar physically gathering resources. As for BioWare's goals for crafting:

"So just to throw a couple more stray thoughts about our philosophy. 

No, you the player cannot craft currently - which is to say you cannot choose to watch the progress bar fill up yourself. That being said, to us, watching a progress bar has always been the least interesting part of crafting in other MMOs. The part of being a crafter that is interesting to us is things like finding rare schematics, finding hard-to-find components, and the social game of finding customers and suppliers. We really wanted devoted crafters to be able to focus on these aspects of crafting, and not so much on the 'watch a progress bar go forward' part of things. Crafting should be a social thing - staring at a progress bar is not.

No, you don't see companions running missions out 'in the real world'. While I laugh at the idea of a stream of companion characters filing into the palace on Alderaan, it's unfeasible for a lot of reasons.

The real test of the value of crafting is less about whether companions or players are swinging the hammer and tongs, and more about how the itemization of crafting is balanced in a way that the gear is useful. Crafting is important to the systems team, and we're devoted to ensuring that crafted gear has a place in the economy, especially at the endgame, and doubly especially for the devoted crafters.

It's worth noting that we really want the system to support the casual crafter (the guy who is taking crafting largely to outfit himself while leveling up) and the devoted crafter (the guy who wants to be known as the best Armormech in the galaxy). Supporting the former means making the system accessible and easy. Supporting the latter means ensuring that hard work can allow you to provide goods and services that almost no one in the galaxy can. The systems design team is striving to satisfy both groups of people.

My own personal goal is that some crafters can get so good that players all over the server seek them out. My problem being a crafter in most other MMOs is that you tend to become a guild's pet at some point, and you're expected to do all of the work for free. We want those devoted crafters to be exceptional enough that they can actually demand a price, and that people will actually break out of the guild in order to pursue those goods and services. The system isn't there yet, but we have plans..."

As Mike said, it's all about execution now. On paper they've got it.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Everything sounds great apart from the offline crap.  Hate any form of offline leveling apart from rested xp.  Should take more to level or advance in a game than just paying a sub fee.  Its my biggest gripe about Eve, and now AOC since they adopted this sort of a model.

Are these games so weak, so pathetic that, in order to make up for the lack of quality gameplay,  they must give people a gift for just maintaining a subscription?  What skill, what intellect does it take to let your character advance while you are offline?

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think this system of crafting compares better with Eve than with SWG and a lot of players enjoy Industry in Eve. In Eve there's not even an avatar there to look like it's doing something, you just gather the materials and the blueprint, research the blueprint, then do the building with a few clicks of a button. I don't hear a lot of complaints about industry in Eve.

What's important is just how vibrant the economy will be. I don't expect it to have anywhere near the complexity of Eve, but as long as crafting is profitable I'll be happy.

All in all I think it'll be a good system if people will just get past the whole obsession with watching a bar move as something is being crafted. You still gather materials, you still gather recipes, and you still get to sell your crafts on a market. I don't see a problem. Heck, I was expecting something no more interesting than what's in WoW and this sounds like it'll blow that away easy, so yeah, I'm happy.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by severius

Everything sounds great apart from the offline crap.  Hate any form of offline leveling apart from rested xp.  Should take more to level or advance in a game than just paying a sub fee.  Its my biggest gripe about Eve, and now AOC since they adopted this sort of a model.

Are these games so weak, so pathetic that, in order to make up for the lack of quality gameplay,  they must give people a gift for just maintaining a subscription?  What skill, what intellect does it take to let your character advance while you are offline?

In all honesty,  to me it feels like its more of a time sink kind of thing.  As everything  will have some sort of real time value, crafting offline is probably the best idea to make it somewhat of a time sink without making you feel like it is one.  When you are having your companions do something for 23 hours at a time, it really changes the flow of the economy.  

Like in FE it can literally take days to craft a single vehicle... sometimes longer.

• fcazaresfcazares Member Posts: 190

Looks good to me. If you like crating you can do it on your own and if you arent so much into basket weaving you can make your companions do it. I like options personally. Especially with something that can be as boring and a time sink as crafting.

• chriswsmchriswsm Member UncommonPosts: 383

Criky

quite a lot of POSITIVE comments here

I need a lie down

(Crew Skills +1)

I used to visit this site a lot however in recent years it has become the home of negative forum posts, illogical opinions and tantrums so I visit less often.

Played or Beta'd: UO / DAOC / Horizons / EQ2 / DDO / EVE / Archlord / PirateKingsOnline / Tabula Rasa / LOTRO / AOC / Champions / Darkfall / Mortal Online / DCUO / Rift / STO / SWTOR / TSW

• RanyrRanyr Member UncommonPosts: 212

Did you all not read the part where the Player can also gather and you can supplement your crew to help you gather or gather for you while you are off on an epic mission.

Sounds fun to me rather than running around gathering 9000 herbs and then standing near a mailbox or trainer and creating 4500 potions.

• link35link35 Member Posts: 133

I love the concept, let's hope the execution is just as awesome

Also, according to the crew skills overview page, there will be 6 crafting skills, not 5, just a minor typo but significant enough that it should be changed.

And as they say, haters gonna hate =P

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by uohaloran

Removing the player factor is a big put off in an MMO for me.

When has the player ever done the crafting (EQ2 is the closest system I've seen to that, still it was just a series of menus)? It's really no different than your typical formula, difference being gathering can be automated if you so choose.

Crafting is just like every other crafting system, you interact with your crafting tool in this case that would be a companion, in turn it drops an item out of its ass-end.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Ranyr
    Did you all not read the part where the Player can also gather and you can supplement your crew to help you gather or gather for you while you are off on an epic mission.
    Sounds fun to me rather than running around gathering 9000 herbs and then standing near a mailbox or trainer and creating 4500 potions.

Since I do not PvP much, how about a Compainon who joins Warzones for me while I am offline, since grinding 50000 PvP-points for some shinies or achievements is boring.
    A standard Bot-program would also be fine, while I watch the storyline or some TOR CGI-Trailers.
    Sorry for trolling

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

whats the chances we will see a guild called  "Sweat Shop 'R' Us" ?

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

"Crafting itself takes place entirely on the ship, and up to five companions can be assigned to the ship’s work station. There will be five crafting skills in Star Wars: The Old Republic, however, only three have been revealed so far, including: Armormech, the creation of armor; Artifice, the creation of Jedi and Sith artifacts; and Biochem, which allows for the creation of “performance-enhancing serums” and biological implants."

So everyone can make everything.... and since they don't even have to get the supplies or do the work themselves, no one would ever buy anything but drops.  Big FU to the % of people that like to work the market and make items to sell.

Just another point that BIoware is just going to charge people to play this singleplayer "MMO". 

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Drakxii

"Crafting itself takes place entirely on the ship, and up to five companions can be assigned to the ship’s work station. There will be five crafting skills in Star Wars: The Old Republic, however, only three have been revealed so far, including: Armormech, the creation of armor; Artifice, the creation of Jedi and Sith artifacts; and Biochem, which allows for the creation of “performance-enhancing serums” and biological implants."

So everyone can make everything.... and since they don't even have to get the supplies or do the work themselves, no one would ever buy anything but drops.  Big FU to the % of people that like to work the market and make items to sell.

Just another point that BIoware is just going to charge people to play this singleplayer "MMO". 

If this was the crafting system GW2 was coming out with , I can bet that you would be here praising it to be the best and most innovative system since sliced bread.  It doesn't matter what the crafting system is here, you and a few people will not be happy.

Most games it's the same thing anyhow, player puts in some ingridients and mass produces some things for a few hours while afk.... LOL so what is the problem? just one more thing to bitch about?

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

Originally posted by Herodes

Originally posted by Ranyr

Since I do not PvP much, how about a Compainon who joins Warzones for me while I am offline, since grinding 50000 PvP-points for some shinies or achievements is boring.

A standard Bot-program would also be fine, while I watch the storyline or some TOR CGI-Trailers.

Sorry for trolling

(or watch youtube videos, a movie, or listen to music)

This is probably what you do while you craft in any game you are playing. What is the difference? You assign your workers to work on something give them the ingredients and you do what you do in any other game... SOMETHING ELSE while you wait .  Nothing different here just the same people that been complaining about TOR finding something new to complain about.

• Originally posted by Drakxii

actually that isn't true.  players can only have 3 crew skills and only 1 of them can be a crafting skill.

from damion Schubert, Lead System Designer: To be more precise, players can have up to three crew skills but only one of those can be a crafting skill. The fictional reason is that you only can have room for one crafting table on your ship, but the real reason is that we don't want all players to be self-sufficient.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=4677938#edit4677938

Edit: to add a little more from him

You can have three gathering skills, or three mission skills, or one of each. Or two gathering and a craft. The only limit (right now) is you can only have one crafting skill, and you can only have three as a whole.

and

You can unlearn skills. If you relearn it later, you must progress it up again. (You will not lose your schematics for crafting skills, but they are inaccessible until you reach the proper skill level).

and a bit of his personal thoughts on crafting

My own personal goal is that some crafters can get so good that players all over the server seek them out. My problem being a crafter in most other MMOs is that you tend to become a guild's pet at some point, and you're expected to do all of the work for free. We want those devoted crafters to be exceptional enough that they can actually demand a price, and that people will actually break out of the guild in order to pursue those goods and services. The system isn't there yet, but we have plans...

Originally posted by sungodra

If this was the crafting system GW2 was coming out with , I can bet that you would be here praising it to be the best and most innovative system since sliced bread.  It doesn't matter what the crafting system is here, you and a few people will not be happy.

Most games it's the same thing anyhow, player puts in some ingridients and mass produces some things for a few hours while afk.... LOL so what is the problem? just one more thing to bitch about?

No I wouldn't.  Crafting is something, some people enjoy to do.  When I played (yeah I know I anit allowed to use this word when talking about SWTOr but whatever) SWG, Fallen Earth and UO I had friends that ONLY crafted, they enjoyed the systems and they enjoyed selling stuff to people. 

But yes I do bitch a bit more because its SWTOR.  This just another thing in a LONG line of things showing that bioware is just making a singleplayer game you can play with friends if you really want to.  While there is nothing really wrong with that, there is something wrong with toting it as a great Masssive Multiplayer game and charging a fee to play it.  

I don't think GW is an MMO or much more then a diablo sytle action rpg with pvp, but at they didn't charge you a fee like real MMOs do. 

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

Originally posted by gaou

actually that isn't true.  players can only have 3 crew skills and only 1 of them can be a crafting skill.

from damion Schubert, Lead System Designer: To be more precise, players can have up to three crew skills but only one of those can be a crafting skill. The fictional reason is that you only can have room for one crafting table on your ship, but the real reason is that we don't want all players to be self-sufficient.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=4677938#edit4677938

Ah I didn't see that.  Thank you very much I had been looking for that in these previews but none of them seemed to list that it was limited so you couldn't be self-suffcient.  Ingore my last post.  (though I still HATE "space" tunnel))

No I wouldn't.  Crafting is something, some people enjoy to do.  When I played (yeah I know I anit allowed to use this word when talking about SWTOr but whatever) SWG, Fallen Earth and UO I had friends that ONLY crafted, they enjoyed the systems and they enjoyed selling stuff to people. 

But yes I do bitch a bit more because its SWTOR.  This just another thing in a LONG line of things showing that bioware is just making a singleplayer game you can play with friends if you really want to.  While there is nothing really wrong with that, there is something wrong with toting it as a great Masssive Multiplayer game and charging a fee to play it.  

I don't think GW is an MMO or much more then a diablo sytle action rpg with pvp, but at they didn't charge you a fee like real MMOs do. 

The problem is the game is a REAL MMO. It takes place in a massive world, and there are players running around all over the place in the game.   It's more of an MMO than the original GW1. As in it is NOT a hub city co-op game.  The world is persistant open and you can run into 100's of thousands of players while you cross the maps.  No loading screens from what we know so far.

BTW this system is oddly familiar to the swg system of dropping harvestors and factories, so I guess that arguement goes out the window for you now , don't it?

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

Did you actually read what you quoted? Did you read anything at all about the crafting system? For crying out loud, all they're doing is removing the portion where you watch the freaking bar go across the screen! You still have to either gather items through your companions, buy it, or do it yourself; and you still have to make it which is done the same way as any other mmo...meaning there's a certain amount of time involved and you have to click a few buttons, the only thing gone is the stupid bar! So what if the animation involves your companions instead of your own character!? It's still the same thing, you choose what to make and you click a few buttons to set things in motion.

Where in that does it say everyone can make everything? Where does it say they don't have to get the supplies? So what if they don't have to pick it up themselves, there's still a time factor involved which means supplies aren't going to simply fall into your lap in unlimited supply as you imply. What does any of it have anything to do with buying drops? Nothing! What prevents you from working the market? Nothing!

Originally posted by BarakIII

Did you actually read what you quoted? Did you read anything at all about the crafting system? For crying out loud, all they're doing is removing the portion where you watch the freaking bar go across the screen! You still have to either gather items through your companions, buy it, or do it yourself; and you still have to make it which is done the same way as any other mmo...meaning there's a certain amount of time involved and you have to click a few buttons, the only thing gone is the stupid bar! So what if the animation involves your companions instead of your own character!? It's still the same thing, you choose what to make and you click a few buttons to set things in motion.

Where in that does it say everyone can make everything? Where does it say they don't have to get the supplies? So what if they don't have to pick it up themselves, there's still a time factor involved which means supplies aren't going to simply fall into your lap in unlimited supply as you imply. What does any of it have anything to do with buying drops? Nothing! What prevents you from working the market? Nothing!

First I don't have a problem with how it works.  I had a problem with  5 crews each with one of the skills and each at a station means you can make everything.  I figured that you could send them on missions to get the supplies when you ran out.  

But then Gaou gave me that quote from the dev pointing out this was wrong. 

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Just another misinformed person spreading negative comments.

• calebgoldcalebgold Member UncommonPosts: 20

I liked the crafting in ShadowBane. You have a merchant “rolling” stuff and you elected to finish it or to scrap it. You picked what items for them to build and the like so you had control but you did not have to watch the progress bar on each item. Set him up before you went to bed and trash the junk and set him up before you went to work in the morning.

Originally posted by tillamook

Originally posted by Jimmy562

[Mod Edit]

Does one of the informed ones know, what happens if you start 3 alts with different crafting skills? Or can you raise only 1 skill at a time offline? Or only one crafting skill per account allowed? ;)

[Mod Edit]

Does one of the informed ones know, what happens if you start 3 alts with different crafting skills? Or can you raise only 1 skill at a time offline? Or only one crafting skill per account allowed? ;)

What's this man, lol IT is the same in any game , you can always make alts if you wanted to.

[Mod Edit]

What's this man, lol IT is the same in any game , you can always make alts if you wanted to.

I don´t think BW will allow it, but if it is possible to level 2-3 alts offline, then Drakxii may still have a point.