Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Crew Skills: Impressive, Most Impressive

Comments

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

I am usually skeptical of talking up video games I haven't played but I must admit this news is rather exciting and seems to validate (atleast for me) that Bioware may be able to actually pull off making a great game.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Ceridith

Still apples to oranges when compared to SWG.

In SWG you still had to personally scout out resource points, place your harvestor/s on said resource points -- which shifted every 3 to 9 days, and then make sure they were maintained with credits and power to keep them running, as well as clearing the hopper out as harvestors would stop if they ran out of room to store minerals. In otherwords, collecting resources was still significantly more involved and required regular intervention to ensure that things were going smoothly. So sure, if you completely neglect the fact that automated harvesting still required a good bit of planning, traveling, and interaction, then the gathering systems are essentially the same thing.

Then there's crafting... in that while yes you could setup factories to mass produce certain items, you still had to personally craft a prototype to be able to create the schematic for the factory to base it's production on. Even then, most of the best items were still individually crafted in their final product, and not factory crafted. Similar to gathering, there was a lot of planning required in acquiring and then choosing the proper resources to use in each item being made, regardless of if it was made individually by the player, or beign run as a schematic in a factory. So again, if you remove all of the planning, travelling (for resources), and interaction of the player required to properly craft, the crafting systems are essentially the same thing.

It's not gonna be the same exact system. They are trying to do something different with crafting. Yea, SWG system is very complex and detailed. I don't expect this game to have a more thorough system than swg, but I expect it to be appealing, new , and interesting. I don't know all the ends and outs of this system, but it sounds like it will be fun and engaging system.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

Originally posted by uohaloran

I guess it fits with their whole iconic heroes attempt, but bleh. I'm tired of being the hero of the universe and when everyone is a hero, is anyone really all that heroic?

In every game you are the hero...  Would you rather be grinding all day long?  I am sure you can find a game  (AION) where the crafting system is tedious as far as gathering, if you would like.

I think they found a way to make crafting fun again. But w/e everyone has their own opinion I suppose.  I think it deserves some credit.

• dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400

More proof that a lot of people on this site will bitch about any feature in any game.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by sungodra

I guess it fits with their whole iconic heroes attempt, but bleh. I'm tired of being the hero of the universe and when everyone is a hero, is anyone really all that heroic?

In every game you are the hero...  Would you rather be grinding all day long?  I am sure you can find a game  (AION) where the crafting system is tedious as far as gathering, if you would like.

I think they found a way to make crafting fun again. But w/e everyone has their own opinion I suppose.  I think it deserves some credit.

Okay, first, get over the jumping to conclusions thing. Just because I'm tired of saving the universe from some ancient evil doesn't mean that I like grinding or tedious shit. Stop doing that, it makes you look like a fool.

All I'm saying is that this is basically the lowest common denominator crafting system with a bit of glitter to pretty it up. It, so far from what we have been shown, not only removes the tedious part of gathering materials, but also any interesting parts of crafting. Is the clicking of a button is really that engaging?

Learn to accept criticism and you'll be better for it.

Killing a person to cure their cancer isn't a solution.

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

Originally posted by dirtyjoe78

More proof that a lot of people on this site will bitch about any feature in any game.

Thats not true , sorry i usally dont participate in good news , but this feature really hyped up the interest in SWTOR .

You tought this is bitching , lets say honestly this is mild , cause people are shocked  having there mind suddenly swapped 360 around and part isn´t there fault.

It was the way Bioware was handling the communication and release information .

This system is even ingenious then i could have tought off , it involves another interest/grind/care/pokemon (sorry i dont bite my words) level to the game .

It will appeal to hardcore crafters as well as casuals cause both can get rewards based on time invested .

Just want to know more about companions and structure and control mechanics . thats the only link i am really missing.

Mike Get us that exclusief and see if they did something similair with companions like grand espeda ?

Or a system that goings to be in the future like that .

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Ceridith

Still apples to oranges when compared to SWG.

In SWG you still had to personally scout out resource points, place your harvestor/s on said resource points -- which shifted every 3 to 9 days, and then make sure they were maintained with credits and power to keep them running, as well as clearing the hopper out as harvestors would stop if they ran out of room to store minerals. In otherwords, collecting resources was still significantly more involved and required regular intervention to ensure that things were going smoothly. So sure, if you completely neglect the fact that automated harvesting still required a good bit of planning, traveling, and interaction, then the gathering systems are essentially the same thing.

Then there's crafting... in that while yes you could setup factories to mass produce certain items, you still had to personally craft a prototype to be able to create the schematic for the factory to base it's production on. Even then, most of the best items were still individually crafted in their final product, and not factory crafted. Similar to gathering, there was a lot of planning required in acquiring and then choosing the proper resources to use in each item being made, regardless of if it was made individually by the player, or beign run as a schematic in a factory. So again, if you remove all of the planning, travelling (for resources), and interaction of the player required to properly craft, the crafting systems are essentially the same thing.

It's not gonna be the same exact system. They are trying to do something different with crafting. Yea, SWG system is very complex and detailed. I don't expect this game to have a more thorough system than swg, but I expect it to be appealing, new , and interesting. I don't know all the ends and outs of this system, but it sounds like it will be fun and engaging system.

I'm well aware that it won't be the same system. I just find it amusing that any criticism of the crafting system, particularly for the fact that it is very hands off for the player is met with, "it's the same as factories in SWG!!!" Except... it's not, for the reasons that I stated above.

It's a different system, a system designed for players who aren't really interested in crafting. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's not a good thing for players who enjoy crafting.

Okay, first, get over the jumping to conclusions thing. Just because I'm tired of saving the universe from some ancient evil doesn't mean that I like grinding or tedious shit. Stop doing that, it makes you look like a fool.

All I'm saying is that this is basically the lowest common denominator crafting system with a bit of glitter to pretty it up. It, so far from what we have been shown, not only removes the tedious part of gathering materials, but also any interesting parts of crafting. Is the clicking of a button is really that engaging?

Learn to accept criticism and you'll be better for it.

Killing a person to cure their cancer isn't a solution.

That is exactly what I was saying.  Not sure about what you say that it will not be engaging.  YOu go back to your ship or whatever and check on your "Workers"  give them orders and what not.   Dude, this system is quite interesting and looks like it will be fun. I see very little difference in this system and swg system, this one may in fact be more involving, despite what the devs have said.

I don't need criticism. It's not my crafting system that I came up with. So why do I need to accept your criticism?

The only conclusion that I am jumping to, is the idea that you may be one of these hard to please people that will find the negative in anything if you have your heart set on not liking a particular game.  I think you probably praise gw2, and maybe play swg and craft in that game alot, so anything BW comes out with you will be here to criticize no matter how deserving or undeserving your criticism is..Am I right about that? or was I jumping to conclusions again?

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Ok.

• dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400

Originally posted by drake_hound

Thats not true , sorry i usally dont participate in good news , but this feature really hyped up the interest in SWTOR .

You tought this is bitching , lets say honestly this is mild , cause people are shocked  having there mind suddenly swapped 360 around and part isn´t there fault.

It was the way Bioware was handling the communication and release information .

This system is even ingenious then i could have tought off , it involves another interest/grind/care/pokemon (sorry i dont bite my words) level to the game .

It will appeal to hardcore crafters as well as casuals cause both can get rewards based on time invested .

Just want to know more about companions and structure and control mechanics . thats the only link i am really missing.

Mike Get us that exclusief and see if they did something similair with companions like grand espeda ?

Or a system that goings to be in the future like that .

It is evident that english is not your first language so i'll forgive the sense making you are not parts of your rant, which is most of it.  And it is absolutely true that no matter what game it is or what feature it is half the community here is so jaded they just sit and pick it apart and bitch about it. 

To me this system takes out the most boring parts of crafting but most people come here read it as you can automate all of it and run off at the mouth about how crappy the system is.  So i can have my companions go gather for me...thank god because that to me was the most boring waste of time ever.  But it also says that if you want to go gather then more power to you you do not have to make a companion do it.  People are bitching because they are given the option to bypass the parts that they dislike...makes no sense to me.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

This article doesn't really explain crafting. It talks about companions, but not much at all about crafting.

What ARE the crafts? 

And actually, this could be quite annoying. I LIKE crafting. This is the first time I'm actually disappointed in something about this game if the only ones that can craft are the companions.

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

It is evident that english is not your first language so i'll forgive the sense making you are not parts of your rant, which is most of it.  And it is absolutely true that no matter what game it is or what feature it is half the community here is so jaded they just sit and pick it apart and bitch about it. 

To me this system takes out the most boring parts of crafting but most people come here read it as you can automate all of it and run off at the mouth about how crappy the system is.  So i can have my companions go gather for me...thank god because that to me was the most boring waste of time ever.  But it also says that if you want to go gather then more power to you you do not have to make a companion do it.  People are bitching because they are given the option to bypass the parts that they dislike...makes no sense to me.

Read my lines ,like you would old fashion newspaper , do not skip and fill in your stuff with your own imaginations .

People will bitch , and moan cause they didn´t get there new revolutionair sandbox ideology , next sandbox probaly be world of darkness thats maybe 3 years from now .

Those people are thick in there head , no matter what you do , those people will buy and try this game .

Just to go into the game forums , public channel moan and biatch about everything they dont like.

Here are the predicted first 2 days of rants ...

1 where the hell are all the people ? (doing there stories )

2 this game stinks its too laggy (too many logs in)

3 SWG pre NGE was much beter , (cause they didn´t even meet any people)

4 I want to craft NOW !!! not after a week of gameplay !!!!

5 Space combat sucks , i dont meet any people !!! (its skippable and optional)

Now i will donate one free lifetime account if those remark dont show up first week of release .

Funny thing is , i think 90% of mmorpg will buy and play it . since we are in need of a new community driven game.

Sure most wont resub , cause not there cup of tea , but we will give it a go .

• it doesn't seem too impressive to me, but I'm not really a died in the wool crafter.  Usually in morgs i do mostly gathering, and some creation, but the most fun pertaining to crafting was to give stuff to my team-mates that made them more powerful.  People were like "i cant believe you gave me that!"  :)

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Let's watch the baiting guys. Thanks.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

We know how player ships will work, Bioware. We've played your other games. Remember how they're all the same?

Yeah, I remember.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I think we should wait and see how it is implement in game and how it works before using the impressive word.  I have seen many things in MMO's that while they sound good on paper, lack a lot in the way they are executed in game.

• findaratofindarato Member Posts: 74

I just want to play the game.  All this news and waiting around is killing me.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Originally posted by Ozmodan

I think we should wait and see how it is implement in game and how it works before using the impressive word.  I have seen many things in MMO's that while they sound good on paper, lack a lot in the way they are executed in game.

Its pretty obvious that the people who run MMORPG.com absolutely love SWTOR. I expect them to review it and give it a 9 to 10 when the game launches.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Its pretty obvious that the people who run MMORPG.com absolutely love SWTOR. I expect them to review it and give it a 9 to 10 when the game launches.

1) Why is this bad?

2) I don't think they absolutely love TOR, there have been articles on both sides of the fence.

3) Do you expect a different review score from other reviewers?        I don't.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

I have mixed feelings on the game, and this is easily reflected in the content of my columns. I've written many negative as well as positive pieces on the game.

I'm impressed with the idea, the design, whether it is executed properly is a whole other ballgame.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by Moirae

This article doesn[object Window]t really explain crafting. It talks about companions, but not much at all about crafting.

What ARE the crafts? 

And actually, this could be quite annoying. I LIKE crafting. This is the first time I[object Window]m actually disappointed in something about this game if the only ones that can craft are the companions.

You like watching a progress bar fill up instead of focusing on the social/economic aspects of crafting, which TOR will offer? Really? You[object Window]d better not play EVE then, because the stations [object Window]do the crafting[object Window] for you.

• ishistishist Member UncommonPosts: 213

We know how player ships will work, Bioware. We've played your other games. Remember how they're all the same?

Yeah, I remember.

[/medication]

Yep, and for some reason people still buy a new Madden NFL game every year. Even though It's still just football. I've been checking the features list of Madden NFL games for years and they have yet to add a fun and engaging feature such as Sniper Rifles or Landmines.

Oh right, I was replying to something. A few Bioware games do have similarities. So do a lot of Cheesecakes. I don't have a problem with either of those. If you do, then your doing it wrong. Your not supposed to spend money on a diversion you don't like. Maybe try table tennis or self-mutilation.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

I really don't get the whining over the companions doing the crafting.  Does it really matter if the animation is of your avatar moving his hands around to make something or if it's a companions hands moving?  You're still the one leveling up the skill and directing  what is being made.  As for gathering, you *can* do it yourself if you want.  Personally, I'll be glad to not have to run around looking for nodes and having other players ninja a node because some mob aggroed me.

I'm more worried about the number of recipes and whether crafting will actually be *worth* leveling.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by MikeB

I have mixed feelings on the game, and this is easily reflected in the content of my columns. I've written many negative as well as positive pieces on the game.

I'm impressed with the idea, the design, whether it is executed properly is a whole other ballgame.

Kinda sucks that some people think you guys aren't allowed to have a positive opinion about any game or mechanic that comes along.  If I had a nickle for everytime someone has called you guys biased because you liked something, I could retire.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Originally posted by MikeB

Kinda sucks that some people think you guys aren't allowed to have a positive opinion about any game or mechanic that comes along.  If I had a nickle for everytime someone has called you guys biased because you liked something, I could retire.

Goes both ways though,  Mike isn't allowed to like anything AND he can't dislike anything either.  If he does I'll be forced to call him out.  Then attack him personally.  Then attack the direction of this site and the type of people they employ.  Every article must be completely devoid of personal opinion.